• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Jigoku-hen |OT| Localized when hell chapter freezes over

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any penalties for one of your units getting shot down other than the repair cost at the end of the mission? Accidentally sacrificed Amuro to let Heero catch 8 enemies in one map attack.

I'm sitting on so much PP and I don't know what to do with it.

In Z2 it was pretty easy to choose but now I'm not so sure (since continuous movement has been moved to tag command).

Shouta

Are there any penalties for one of your units getting shot down other than the repair cost at the end of the mission? Accidentally sacrificed Amuro to let Heero catch 8 enemies in one map attack.

Pretty sure no, like every other SRW

SMK

All or some of your units might lose some morale but that's not a big deal.

Bebpo

Banned
The Macross F units are so fucking terrible in this on hard difficulty. I don't like them so I don't want to spend money upgrading their dodge stats, but even with concentrate on they still get killed like EVERY MAP and I gotta pay for their corpses.

This is the first SRW in decades that I'm losing units every map and just eating the lost unit costs. I really hope the final path "choice" doesn't have "can't lose more than X units in the game" hidden factor because I'm gonna be totally screwed.

I wouldn't even take the Mac F units out as supports for my tag teams, but Ozuma has movement seishin and Alt still does decent damage. But man, they die so fast and can't dodge worth shit on default stats!

CorvoSol

I'm not even to mission 25 and we're already ending Endless Waltz? I swear we spent at most two maps on this movie's plot.

Of course with the fact that I'm nearly halfway into this game and I've fought a grand total of 1 Angel and haven't done any Unicorn stages at all yet, I guess that's life.

Also after seeing the Behemoth I agree that the FMP villain suits got all the animation. Which is weird because in SRW W a Lambda Driver powered Arbalest looked like this. It's sad that a DS game had better sprite animation for this suit than a PSV game.

Shouta

I'm not even to mission 25 and we're already ending Endless Waltz? I swear we spent at most two maps on this movie's plot.

Of course with the fact that I'm nearly halfway into this game and I've fought a grand total of 1 Angel and haven't done any Unicorn stages at all yet, I guess that's life.

Also after seeing the Behemoth I agree that the FMP villain suits got all the animation. Which is weird because in SRW W a Lambda Driver powered Arbalest looked like this. It's sad that a DS game had better sprite animation for this suit than a PSV game.

To be fair, the W animations looked canned in some respects. Feels like good chunks of it are reused like the gun draw animation. Still looks better than Z3 though. :p

The Durandal is good at least, but you get it really late. Think it was the same stage you get Qant, which is right before the Normal/If route split.

Lucis

The SR for that stage was a little difficult. I just happened to have my units in the right positions to get it.

I had no problem with SR, that unit only had 17.5k hp, I tagged big O with Genion to start, my Genion/MC is so beast with like 170 moral and 1.2x damage and max break at combo max, My MC almost 1 shotted it himself lol

The Macross F units are so fucking terrible in this on hard difficulty. I don't like them so I don't want to spend money upgrading their dodge stats, but even with concentrate on they still get killed like EVERY MAP and I gotta pay for their corpses.

This is the first SRW in decades that I'm losing units every map and just eating the lost unit costs. I really hope the final path "choice" doesn't have "can't lose more than X units in the game" hidden factor because I'm gonna be totally screwed.

I wouldn't even take the Mac F units out as supports for my tag teams, but Ozuma has movement seishin and Alt still does decent damage. But man, they die so fast and can't dodge worth shit on default stats!

Dodge stat is not that hard to get though, just upgrade dodge to level 5 is like almost free, plenty dodge parts I don't use.

Ok stage 35 finally got CG units. Once I finish upgrading both shinkirou and lancelott I'll try to get 50% for most of the unit I deploy often. The game is not hard anymore and I no longer lose units lol. Gonna try to get Zechs Aced. But him getting kill is hard since I don't want to move him out of tag with Heero

Bebpo

Banned
Question about story stuff Godmars (spoilers for map 18):

Is the Blackhole Emperor from Godmars TV?

To be fair, the W animations looked canned in some respects. Feels like good chunks of it are reused like the gun draw animation. Still looks better than Z3 though. :p

Agreed.

The two main things I like about the W animations is that only the head vulcan attack is stationary, the rest have a fair bit of movement to spice things up.

Second is that the Lambda Driver alters the animations on all of his attacks.

I wonder if anyone is making any complaints on the JP side.

I think it would be great if the FMP units (at least Arbalest) got re-done in Z3.2 as a result of fan feedback.

Also these
Mikene
(can't remember the katakana from memory) guys pack a punch. I think I'm getting to the point where bosses can almost one shot my supers.

Bebpo

Banned
The thing with the animations is that the extra detail in high resolution sprites isn't worth the fewer animation frames tradeoff. The Z2 sprites at a slightly lower resolution but with higher frame count look great upscaled a bit and most of the Z1 units with their gorgeous animation still look fantastic upscaled.

I kind of hope they learn their lesson with Z3 and the next mainline SRW series goes for animation frames over resolution detail. Z1/Z2 pretty much got it perfect. That should be the level of sprites for mainline SRW.

Bebpo

Banned
I think he is from Tetsujin 28

That makes more sense. Just seemed kind of odd for Tetsujin since the scale of the enemies are a lot more fantastic magically space action and Tetsujin is just a big steel robot. Also there's new enemy mechs from Godmars to go along with it I think?

Zengar

That makes more sense. Just seemed kind of odd for Tetsujin since the scale of the enemies are a lot more fantastic magically space action and Tetsujin is just a big steel robot.

From what I understand from the game, the space satan emperor is made up of negative energy; he is afraid of Tetsujin because it runs on Solar energy, which is a positive energy. In the final Tetsujin stage, the Solar Aquarion is absent so Tetsujin unleash all of its energy to kill the emperor

Lucis

Just shot down 19 units in 1 turn with Strike Freedom, 4 x multi action... oh man this is getting way too good

Shouta

Wait, wtf they added a new attack animation to 00 Raiser? The Trans-am attack looks different. It's even better looking than the one in Z2 lol

Yeah, Setsuna has different animations but lacks a few of his attacks from Z2.2.

I'm loving Chirico's new all attack dynamic kill that you get later on in the game. The cut in is too sexy! :eek:

Markun

Agreed.

The two main things I like about the W animations is that only the head vulcan attack is stationary, the rest have a fair bit of movement to spice things up.

Second is that the Lambda Driver alters the animations on all of his attacks.

I wonder if anyone is making any complaints on the JP side.

I think it would be great if the FMP units (at least Arbalest) got re-done in Z3.2 as a result of fan feedback.

I think the Arbalest's bad attack animations is one of the biggest complaints the Japanese fans have. There's even a video on Nico that compares the attack animations in Z3 to the animations in W.

It probably wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that the major villain units for the FMP series, the Codarls, are really well animated for some reason. I'm hoping whoever was in charge of the Codarls' animations does the Arbalest next time.

Bebpo

Banned
Damn, stage 19 was looooooooooong (2 hours+), but really well done.

Final battle of Eva 1.11 Sniper Mission. The way it worked in the team and Lelouch v Gendo Father/Son conflict and everyone banding together to give the last energy charge...and believing in Shinji so he could make the shot for the team...awesome. Just very well written.

I also like how they made the angel menacing since without barrier breaking attacks your team basically couldn't hurt it and took massive damage each turn from it. Very true to the show/movie.

Couple of things though:

-Kind of bummed that Z3 is based on the "bad" route of Z2-2 where Lelouche is the villian instead of super bro buddy. I get that makes sense since SRW is all about staying true to the animes and Lelouche being the bad guy and dying in the end is how the anime ended. But still, I would've liked it better if everyone was friends with Lelouche in Z3 since he was a good dude and fought on their team in the end of Z2-2. Now instead he's sort of an outcast and I'm guessing there's still going to be some tension between him and Suzaku down the line.

Also means we know which route split in Z3-1 is going to be canon for Z3-2.

-So the prevailing theory for the Eva Rebuild movies is that the movies take place after the TV series in the next cycle. Hence a lot of things like the LCL sea and blood stain on the moon and Kaworu talking about making sure "this time" that Shinji is happy. Interesting enough, at the end of stage 19, Kaworu when approached by Mikage and talking about how he knows how Mikage feels being trapped in a cycle, Kaworu says something something "this 3rd time"

I wonder if the idea they're going with for Eva Rebuild is that the original SRW -> F Final series of Eva was cycle #1, the Alpha Series -> Alpha 3 was cycle #2, and the Z series -> Z3 is cycle #3 now.

The only real flaw in that though is that the world is never remade in F Final or in Alpha 3 because you can't really do that and still have a game to play. So it'd need to retcon a bit, but I still think when he's saying this is the 3rd cycle, he's referring to the past 2 SRW series as the previous cycles of Evangelion.

Timeline issues relating to Z3:

As far as I can tell

the game uses a hybrid of the two route paths.

Firstly, Emperor Lelouche. Only happens in the Normal Route of Z2.

However, Libra and the White Fang are brought up, which only happens in the If Route of Z2.

Third, Nunnally knows that Zero is still Lelouche, which only happens in the If route since Nunnally thinks Lelouche died in the Normal route.

So.

A Time Prison did it.

Hi SRW folks! I recently bought this game on impulse due to my newfound obsession with Gundam SD model kits. Problem is I don't know a lick of Japanese ;p

I was wondering how difficult would it be to play this game and how similar is the menu format compared to Z2's. It would be truly appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Zengar

Hi SRW folks! I recently bought this game on impulse due to my newfound obsession with Gundam SD model kits. Problem is I don't know a lick of Japanese ;p

I was wondering how difficult would it be to play this game and how similar is the menu format compared to Z2's. It would be truly appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Menu and spirit list are similar to Z2. The Tag system is new but I think the 1st page of this thread gave a clear explanation of that.

I also like how they made the angel menacing since without barrier breaking attacks your team basically couldn't hurt it and took massive damage each turn from it. Very true to the show/movie.

Yes the had to tweak the game mechanics a lot and design the stage in such a way that an angel wouldn't be incredibly trivial thing to deal with like in the Alpha series.

Jaeger

Eva 3, Berserk Eva 1, the four 00 units. Onegai shimasu!

JFhCSwmu.png
HEM4MIqC.png

Shouta

Come on guys. That unit is spoilery for some folks at least just link it instead of showing it outright

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I was going to say. Game is a 100 hour+ story based rpg that hasn't even been out for a month. People should still be pretty careful around story spoilers like plot points, units appearing, series ending. Surprises are fun!

How prominent in the game are the FMP TSR elements? Does souske suck because he's still in FMP1 mode? SRW W was fumoffu and TSR only...

Naite

How prominent in the game are the FMP TSR elements? Does souske suck because he's still in FMP1 mode? SRW W was fumoffu and TSR only...

It covers
all of TSR
. Sousuke is my highest ace by the end of the game, but partially because I didn't like most of the early units and spent a lot of my upgrades on him. Setsuna and Roger were starting to catch up to him in kills near the end.

I'm confused on stage 46
Stay in Japan Route Split

I put all 3 EVA's on the 3 highlighted points and I still lost the mission. I think I'm just going to go with the other route split since I was just trying this one just to see the berserk EVA event.

Top Bottom