• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Jigoku-hen |OT| Localized when hell chapter freezes over

Lucis

AG's dlc stage "Extreme Battle" is SRS BIZ
prob the hardest stage in game so far, harder than any campaign stages coz there's no upgrade, and I don't think you can get level up tag tension the entire stage

I'm confused on stage 46
Stay in Japan Route Split

I put all 3 EVA's on the 3 highlighted points and I still lost the mission. I think I'm just going to go with the other route split since I was just trying this one just to see the berserk EVA event.

Each EVA has a specific spot to stand.

Markun

I'm confused on stage 46
Stay in Japan Route Split

I put all 3 EVA's on the 3 highlighted points and I still lost the mission. I think I'm just going to go with the other route split since I was just trying this one just to see the berserk EVA event.

You need to move each Eva onto a specific point. EVA-01 goes onto the north point, EVA-00 goes onto the east point, and EVA-02 goes onto the west point.

It covers
all of TSR
. Sousuke is my highest ace by the end of the game, but partially because I didn't like most of the early units and spent a lot of my upgrades on him. Setsuna and Roger were starting to catch up to him in kills near the end.

Wow. He only gets the one extra driver move?

TCKaos

Holy shit, those assets look awesome.

How does Gurren Lagann look? I've only seen clips of
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I wish I had a PS3 or Vita so I could import this. Oh well, back to trying to play Z1.

Jaeger

So how are you getting the raw data files?
I'd like a set of them all if possible (prob too much work?)

Everything from what looks like the encyclopedia has been ripped. Same for most of not all of the portraits. You want the files I have?

suko_32

Man, that one Sheryl from portrait is kinda creepy. Who drew this games portraits...you know which one I'm talking about!

Edit: Shinn's portrait is funny looking no matter how many times I see it.

Bebpo

Banned
Ehhh, not really a fan of splits like 22-27 where it's the same maps in a different order. When you're going for 100% flowchart it just means doing all the maps twice yawwnnnn

Glad it looks like this is the only sucky split like that. Will power through it and enjoy the rest of the game. Z3-1 doesn't really have a lot of true route splits (where the teams split up and get unique units, see unique events) compared to most SRWs lately. Almost seems like they didn't have enough "new" unit content to divide their acquisitions across splits.

I also have a theory based on Z3-1's setup that they got a lot of complaints that Z2-2 didn't have many new series (just Mac 7 which had like 2 story maps and Tetsujin 28) so instead of front-loading the new series in Z3-1 they're splitting them more evenly. Which is why Z3-1 doesn't have a ton of new series. That way Z3-2 can have 4-6 new series entries instead of just 2 like Z2-2. We'll see in a year.

zeroshiki

CorvoSol is going to kill himself if Z3-2 has AO and RahXephon in it.

At least we're safe from the menace of Gundam AGE. They can't be stupid enough to try to stick that into part 5 of a 5 part series can they?

What are realistic possible Z3-2 series? Star Driver? I hope they pull out some more old school stuff. I'd love to see a return of some of the Robot Romance Trilogy.

Bebpo

Banned

At least we're safe from the menace of Gundam AGE. They can't be stupid enough to try to stick that into part 5 of a 5 part series can they?

What are realistic possible Z3-2 series? Star Driver? I hope they pull out some more old school stuff. I'd love to see a return of some of the Robot Romance Trilogy.

No AGE for sure or it would've been in this one. AGE will either never be in a SRW (doubt it) or will be in a handheld entry like the next game by the UX team. AGE has a ton of units and upgrades and attacks, so it's not going to be a cheap entry to put it. But since it gets tons of hate, it's probably not worth spending the budget to put it in a mainline SRW.

Z3-2 is probably E7 Ao, Diebuster. Other "new" titles could be Star Driver, old classics like Tetsujin 28 that haven't appeared, or stuff that hasn't appeared in a while/appeared on handhelds only. And Ideon is a maybe, because Ideon. There weren't a ton of mecha anime made between Geass/Gundam OO/GL days and the new wave of stuff too recent to be in a SRW like Valvrave/Gargantia/Majestic Prince/Gundam Build Fighters/Captain Earth. There was basically Aquarion Evol, E7 Ao, Star Driver, Mazinger SKL. SKL won't work because of the focus on Shin Mazinger timeline and Evol was in Z3-1, so that just leaves Ao and Star Driver.

I'd like to see a classic series like L-Gaim, Escaflowne or V Gundam re-appear.

Or hey, they could finally finish Giant Robo!

Given that they went out of their way to establish that
Marida is Proto Ple Twelve and not Ple Twelve it might be a hint that ZZ is being planned for Z3-2.

Jubern

I think it's actually the opposite, it's a good throwaway explanation. By saying it's the prototype they say
she's not the little sister of the other Ple who simply don't exist in this universe.

Shouta

I'm really digging some of the explanations and ways they're linking the stories together like Shin Mazinger and Shin Getter, lol.

Also, these enemies hit like trucks when they land attacks even when some of my units are fully upgraded. It's a bit surprising but welcome.

I'm at stage 27 now and here are disappointing units so far

Arbalest- I don't really care about unit's animation but is it going to get better? I have upgraded it 50% and Sosuke is already ACE but the unit still feels under-powered.

MacrossF - I know I will get Durandal later but goddamns Messiahs are so weak they die so often.

Zeta Gundam - It's strongest attack is a non-P All attack and others weapons are so weak and I guess, being a Z Gundam and everything, it won't get any better.

Shouta

The Arbalest picks up later on. the MacF units get their MDE bombs as well but they're still hella fragile, lol.

Zeta gets the Hyper Beam Saber with the Biosensor, at least as far I am. It's a pretty swag animation pretty powerful itself. It'll probably get Waverider in Z3-2

What route did you pick in the 22-27 split?

Wondering if that + other choices has an effect.

I chose the Observe Zeon path is which is the second choice.
I hope that's not what screwed me over. I also noticed that there's a bunch of choices like when you choose on multiple occasions to listen to the other characters in the hangar or not. I wonder if those choices have an effect as well. On that note I always chose to go to the hangar when possible.

So I have every SR up until this point.

Didn't convince Guura.

Saved Loni.

Chose Observe Zeon path.

Still didn't get it. They must have some kind of system like the Zero points in the last game. Of course it's pretty much luck in guessing where they might be since the guide isn't out yet.

Bebpo

Banned
I chose the Observe Zeon path is which is the second choice.
I hope that's not what screwed me over. I also noticed that there's a bunch of choices like when you choose on multiple occasions to listen to the other characters in the hangar or not. I wonder if those choices have an effect as well. On that note I always chose to go to the hangar when possible.

So I have every SR up until this point.

Didn't convince Guura.

Saved Loni.

Chose Observe Zeon path.

Still didn't get it. They must have some kind of system like the Zero points in the last game. Of course it's pretty much luck in guessing where they might be since the guide isn't out yet.

Weird.

Yeah I'd have thought that "observe zeon (basically the "I still kind of trust Char, so I'll leave him alone")" + trust Char + listen to party in hanger each time would equal the TEAM GOOD BUDDIES route.

The 22-27 route has to have some decent effect on the choice because otherwise the route split is totally pointless since it's the same maps in different orders. But I would have thought "observe Zeon" would be the better choice since the other one is basically like "if Char wants a fight, let's do it!"

I guess I'll go with Investigate Neo Zeon in my run and see if I get the IF route with the same choices as you.

Jubern

About the 22-27 split:

Choosing "Investigate Neo Zeon" actually makes Amuro say he still want to trust Char and that is why he wants to go investigate. So if anything I think that might be the good choice.

I'm liking the way they handle the CCA plot more than I thought by the way.
It's not all black and white, even among the main cast. It was interesting to see Lelouch & co working with Char as well as the Celestial Being people admitting they also cooperate with Neo Zeon because they think they somehow right.

Weird.

Yeah I'd have thought that "observe zeon (basically the "I still kind of trust Char, so I'll leave him alone")" + trust Char + listen to party in hanger each time would equal the TEAM GOOD BUDDIES route.

The 22-27 route has to have some decent effect on the choice because otherwise the route split is totally pointless since it's the same maps in different orders. But I would have thought "observe Zeon" would be the better choice since the other one is basically like "if Char wants a fight, let's do it!"

I guess I'll go with Investigate Neo Zeon in my run and see if I get the IF route with the same choices as you.
I made the exact same choices except I chose to investigate Neo Zeon and ended up getting the If route. So it's probably that.

squall23

I made the exact same choices except I chose to investigate Neo Zeon and ended up getting the If route. So it's probably that.
I can debunk that.

I chose Observe Neo Zeon, Trust Char, convinced Guura many times, and went to Japan and kept Asuka instead of saving Loni. Got Fight Destiny route.

Weird.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the names of the two final splits are "Accept Destiny" and "Defy Destiny". Defy Destiny being the IF route. With that in mind it makes sense that making choices that go against the "destiny" of characters in their original series makes sense. Like convincing and saving certain characters I guess.

This next part concerns one of the late game route splits, the one after stage
to be exact. And some EVA spoilers if you haven't seen the second movie.

When I was messing around in the Japan Route split (after stage 45) I noticed that when Gendo asks Shinji to fight EVA-04 you actually get to make the choice to fight or not. I believe that may be another decision that contributes towards the IF route. It's just a hunch, but I think choosing to fight may give you a point towards the IF route since that goes against what happens in the show/movie. Seems to fit with the defy destiny theme imo. Just a potential tip if you end up taking that route over Merida Island. You can also choose before that to not go through with the activation test period. I'm not sure what effect that could have towards the IF route though.

As for the other route (Merida Island) I believe saving Loni (have Banagher shoot her down) is at least one of that route's IF route points.

Bebpo

Banned
You would have figured by now 2ch would've tested all possibilities and figured it out by now. They figured out the IF route requirements (or at least a guaranteed way to get the IF route if you did A, B, C and D) way before the official guide came out with Z2-2.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I've read that black getter is basically as good as or even preferable to shin getter. Is this true? Considering whether or not to upgrade it because when ryouma is at max willpower it's already hitting in the 5 digits with 0 weapon upgrade.

CorvoSol

I think the Arbalest's bad attack animations is one of the biggest complaints the Japanese fans have. There's even a video on Nico that compares the attack animations in Z3 to the animations in W.

It probably wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that the major villain units for the FMP series, the Codarls, are really well animated for some reason. I'm hoping whoever was in charge of the Codarls' animations does the Arbalest next time.

This is kind of good to hear, because yeah, the W animations are so much better than the Z3 ones and that's just ridiculous. That there aren't separate animations for when the Lambda Driver is engaged is annoying as heck.

To be fair, the W animations looked canned in some respects. Feels like good chunks of it are reused like the gun draw animation. Still looks better than Z3 though. :p

Well sure, but look how much better it is using those canned bits.

I think I could survive Rah Xephon. It's been at least a year since I flunked that show, so my dislike has cooled significantly. Astral Ocean is inevitable, but it makes me want to commit sudoku. Thankfully the inability to understand Japanese would maybe let me slide through it. Poor E7. Fantastic series that got worse with each successive installment.

Bebpo

Banned
This is kind of good to hear, because yeah, the W animations are so much better than the Z3 ones and that's just ridiculous. That there aren't separate animations for when the Lambda Driver is engaged is annoying as heck.

Nm, misread what you said.

Shouta

I've read that black getter is basically as good as or even preferable to shin getter. Is this true? Considering whether or not to upgrade it because when ryouma is at max willpower it's already hitting in the 5 digits with 0 weapon upgrade.

Black Getter's unique custom bonus is S ranking in all terrains for its weapons which should increase its damage. That should make it equal about to Shin Getter on that front. However, Black Getter doesn't have a Getter 2 or 3 nor does it have as wide a range of attacks to choose from making it less versatile.

If you can swap Goh into the Shin Getter, then it's probably best to put Ryoma in the Black Getter. Getter Dragon, if it's treated as a battleship, has a few weaknesses as a unit and I don't think their combination attack is in this game, making it not as useful.

squall23

Depends on on how you use it. I give Shin Getter a part that regens all EN every turn. So it's Stoner Sunshine all day everyday.

Tsukumo

I'm doing a no upgrade run and Ryoma pulled 16k points worth of critical damage on Full Frontal's Shinanju. He was at 80% health and 140 morale, combo at +2: I think its has more to do with his stats then the Black Getter.
I think they have rearranged how criticals and morale affect damage. The damage spikes you get from criticals and morale remind me of old Alpha1 and Alpha Gaiden.

Lucis

I take back what I said earlier in the thread.

ACE units with FUB is one shotting trash mobs with all attack now (or even map attack)

Shouta

lol, I think they spent the budget on Nu again.

Seriously, I think the OO and FMP units had the same team because they were hella lazy with them but like everyone else had redone animations for everything. Like Shin Getter is almost totally new, I swear.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, Ryouma in Black Getter was doing insane damage non-upgraded on my game but his armor was paper thin so he'd die in a couple hits. Ended up upgrading him to 50% and weapon lvl.5 and Black Getter is ridiculous.

Right now at stage 25, the best units I have are:

1. Kiriko/Scopedog - does non-stop ALL attack criticals for extremely high damage and can't be hit outside of bosses. Also has shuuchuu+ for only 15 SP

2. Ryouma/Black Getter - just does crazy damage with a lot of criticals.

3. Hibiki/OG unit - Really good well rounded overpowered OG unit as usual

I take back what I said earlier in the thread.

ACE units with FUB is one shotting trash mobs with all attack now (or even map attack)

Yeah, for the last 3-5 stages I've been one shotting everything and game has been Z2 levels of easy (which I'm ok with).

Bebpo

Banned
I like how units get their unique FUB bonus at 50%. I'll probably get like 20-30 units to 50% and only 100% the OG unit and a handful of others.

Also it's interesting how battleships are NOT tanks in this. They have low HP and eat tons of damage with no upgrades. I've seen battleships go from 13k HP to 6k HP in a single hit. Otoh, battleships can actually attack in this one! Their accuracy percentages are pretty damn good and they can hit most grunts without having to use seishin. They also have good range and solid attacks, so it's a tradeoff.

Bebpo

Banned
Things I don't like:

There's actually a good amount of dynamic kills in the game, but a lot of them are so minor it's hardly noticeable. Like Unicorn Gundam's Beam Magnum on kill causes a hole in the enemy, whereas non-kill doesn't. Also a lot of the dynamic kills from Z2 were turned into non-dynamic kills and play regardless of whether the enemy dies like Gurren Lagann's double boomerang. They just did weird stuff with dynamic kills.

Kind of weird balance of how some gundam cut-ins are real proportions (Wing Zero, Sandrock) and some are SD (Trowa). Feels uneven.

Also weirdly bad choreography on some attacks. Like one of the OG units later attacks has him shoot the enemy flying off screen to the RIGHT and then the enemy drops down on the LEFT and takes damage. Like WTF it's so bad, why couldn't they have made the animation so he shoots the enemy off screen to the LEFT instead??

lol, I think they spent the budget on Nu again.

Seriously, I think the OO and FMP units had the same team because they were hella lazy with them but like everyone else had redone animations for everything. Like Shin Getter is almost totally new, I swear.

Well, in OO's case most of the units are pretty dumb looking outside QUAN[T] so I'm fine with them not wasting frames on the units that could go elsewhere. Hopefully QUAN[T] has good animation? Exia and Double OO Raiser had pretty nice animations in Z2.

I can't tell if stuff like Zeta or Nu is actually new animation or if Z1/Z2 just already had really good animations for them and it's been a while. Need to go back and watch attack clips from Z1/Z2. I mean Nu's upgraded fin funnel animation in Z2 was godly so I doubt they changed it in Z3.

Shouta

The OO movie units should get better animation than this though, they're ridiculously lazy. Harute and Raphael basically have 3 attack animations and then their Trans-Am which is two of the attacks combined into one and turned pick.

Bebpo

Banned
The game also doesn't do a very good job at the cross-over aspect of the maps in the first half of the game so far. Instead of using good writing to combine events from multiple series into a single cross-over map for fanservice++ with everyone interacting with each other, we get like a bunch of FMP only maps, a bunch of Unicorn only maps, an Eva map here and there, etc... there's just not much crossover. The only "crossover" tends to be grunts from another series showing up just to be grunts and leaving. Not any actual story event from one show combining into another show. This is a shame since it's one of my favorite aspects of SRW. This is probably another result of trying to squeeze two 80-100 map SRW games out of a limited number of series through the Z3-1, Z3-2 split.

Also the introduction of series/units is taking a loooong ass time in this one. Even without counting splits, my single route save says I'm 31 hours in at this point and a handful of series still haven't been introduced. Hopefully in Z3-2 they'll give us access to some of these late-joiners early on next time around. Kind of sucks to only get to use a unit for half the game.

Lucis

I like how units get their unique FUB bonus at 50%. I'll probably get like 20-30 units to 50% and only 100% the OG unit and a handful of others.

Also it's interesting how battleships are NOT tanks in this. They have low HP and eat tons of damage with no upgrades. I've seen battleships go from 13k HP to 6k HP in a single hit. Otoh, battleships can actually attack in this one! Their accuracy percentages are pretty damn good and they can hit most grunts without having to use seishin. They also have good range and solid attacks, so it's a tradeoff.

Ya it's not hard to ace them either, I will prob ace 2-3 battle ship by the 50-55th stage. They can't take that much damage, but almost all of them have iron wall so just use it in the right time and it's still not a big problem.

I am at a point I can't deploy half of my units, even benching some main units in favor of series I like.

Bebpo

Banned
The OO movie units should get better animation than this though, they're ridiculously lazy. Harute and Raphael basically have 3 attack animations and then their Trans-Am which is two of the attacks combined into one and turned pink.

Yeah I haaaaaate this. So many units have their "powerful attack" being just a combination of all of their other attack animations playing back to back. It's soooooo cheap and lazy and it does not feel like THEIR BADASS POWERFUL ATTACK. Feels like lazy attack.

Was so annoyed when Eva 2's starter set of attacks had the most powerful attack being just a generic lazy one like that. Grrrrr....

Top Bottom