• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Jigoku-hen |OT| Localized when hell chapter freezes over

What limitations? Vita is no PSP.

yeah, but most vita ports i saw my friend playing with didn't look as good as the ps3's version.
so I asume it's not as powerful as a ps3, hence my previous post

Lol, all that hope, crushed.

crying-waterfalls.gif

Re: DLC, I can see how people would be annoyed as there are already 8 of them, including 1 free and 1 that came with the game.

According to this, there should be
including the one that came with the game. I don't know how they got a list of unreleased ones though.

As luck would have it, we have people at home for a week so no PS3 and I ordered the Vita version through the slowest option. No SRW for me until next week!

According to this, there should be
including the one that came with the game. I don't know how they got a list of unreleased ones though.
The menu that you use to access the bonus scenarios lists all of them.

So my package was in Ontario then after the clearance delay it's moved to Tennessee in the US.

Beginning to doubt that changed Friday delivery date now.
That was probably costumes pre-clearance while the package is still somewhere in transit on a plane.

That was probably costumes pre-clearance while the package is still somewhere in transit on a plane.

That makes sense. I just looked it up and Memphis is apparently a major sorting centre for Fedex, so I guess it will be heading out from there then.

Also, poor Deathscythe.

Bebpo

Banned
If anyone has/gets the PS3 version and installs it (if there's even an install option), are the load times as bad as they are in some of the youtube videos? They look like worst load times since Alpha Gaiden. The units just...sit....for seconds before doing anything, then the enemy unit just...sits...for seconds before doing anything back.

zeroshiki

Well, this looks like one of those times P-A fucked up >_<

Checked my tracking shipment and it's in Osaka, Japan right now. Uhmmm, in all my years of orders with P-A I've never had a Fedex shipment go from HK -> Japan -> CA. Normally goes HK->CA.

FedEx centralized all their Asia Pacific operations into Osaka. I think it just started last week or something. That could be why it happened to you.

Naite

Got up to stage 9. I'm so conflicted which version of this stage I want to pick first.

If anyone has/gets the PS3 version and installs it (if there's even an install option), are the load times as bad as they are in some of the youtube videos? They look like worst load times since Alpha Gaiden. The units just...sit....for seconds before doing anything, then the enemy unit just...sits...for seconds before doing anything back.

I have the digital version. I haven't been paying that much attention to the videos lately but I have noticed some small awkward pauses between attacks.

Got up to stage 9. I'm so conflicted which version of this stage I want to pick first.

I have the digital version. I haven't been paying that much attention to the videos lately but I have noticed some small awkward pauses between attacks.

Can confirm that the digital version has small pauses between the unit appearing on the battle stage and the start of the battle dialog and attack.

Thanks for the explanation. Well, that's a crapload of DLC.

I'll confess I blew the change that remained in my wallet on DLC. No idea how having the DLC on PS3 but not on Vita will work out with cross saves.

I don't like how everything feels tiny on the Vita. From the font to the icons and everything, it felt like this was a PS3 game shrunk down >_> I'm sure I'll get over it but I liked the big bulky feel of the PSP versions.

Same here. It was awkward when I viewed the PV on my Vita. :/

Though, if you start playing the awesomest games on Vita, you'd get used to it. (*coughSenNoKisekicough*)

yeah, but most vita versions i saw my friend playing with didn't look as good as the ps3 port.
so I asume it's not as powerful as a ps3, hence my previous post

Fixed.

And these kind of games does not take as much resource. It's more of how well the animator did on the animation.

A lot of "incompetency" seems to have happened here.

No touch controls on Vita (touch are very good supplemental controls when effort is put on it).

The voice is probably due to the team not optimizing stuff to whatever's working on Vita's audio. There was a case about a Vita game sounding worse (on Vita) than the PSP game (on PSP). Some people with sensitive hearing mentioned that PhotoKano Kiss (Vita) had worse sounds than the PSP version. If I had to guess, same thing happened here.

It's almost impossible to blame compression. The Vita game is a 2338 MB. God Eater 2 was 3345MB without updates (largest one I can find in a quick search).

That's what? Like almost 50% more space. A good 1GB more. Even the PS3 version is only 4200-ish MB.

Due to that, the whole "Vita is DL-only" thing seems to be a publisher decision of trying to cheap out and reduce reselling of the game. (Hint hint: They advertised the fuck out of the Vita version lately.)

what are the JP amazon reviews saying?

so VITA version is best version ?

lucky me !

I don't have the game yet, but from what others are saying Vita is the base game. PS3 is the port.

That, and that the pre-battle load on Vita is said to be instantaneous. Most PS3 comments I heard were "not fast" and "not bad", implying a noticeable loading time.

Either ways, there're short end of the sticks on each version. At least based on what's everyone's saying.

So the voice quality on the Vita version isn't as good? I'm hoping it's not that noticeable as the voices on Z2.1 and Z2.2 sounded good to me.

Sorry, meant sound in general, just not voice. It was being compared to the Z games on PSP, not PS3 (hence my guess above). I've only heard the voice-only part complaint here.

There aren't many complaints on the audio, so I guess it's not really something that everybody notices. Which kinda makes sense since audio is one of the most subjective thing to discuss about - the gap on what the average person hears and the enthusiasts/experts is too huge. (And I'm one of the average peeps, LOL.)

I see quite a number of people on 2ch go "should've bought the Vita version" since they were disappointed with the PS3 version (they were expecting that it has better quality).

Edit:
Its not as good as that unfortunately but you might not notice it.
Well, there we go.

Beckx

Well, my EMS delivery has made it as far as NY. So not going to get here today, but decent chance for tomorrow. Go little EMS package, go!

suko_32

There is a mandatory install on the PS3 version.

Only being able to use the D-pad to move around the map will take some getting used to.

so the ps3 port has superior sound? well it's something

Who knows? The "Vita version sound quality is inferior" comments I've seen are comparison with the PSP games, not the PS3 version. What I said about the audio thing on Vita is just speculation based on a similar case.

Most probably won't even notice it.

People were worried that the Vita version is gonna get compressed and result in noticeable inferior quality. A lot of people described the image quality and audio as good.

I'm pretty sure the PS3 version isn't a port. The Vita version is the port.

Lots of comments were that PS3 version is the port. Checkout the controls and compare it to the SRW Z.

Edit: Also remember the "unannounced Vita title" that's been hanging on the Bandai Namco product page? SRW Z3 was probably a Vita exclusive.

Bebpo

Banned
So what I'm gathering from posts...

Vita = faster battle load times, worse sound, mismatch of visuals in a mix of native/non-native res, small fonts

Ps3 = Looks good, sounds fine, controls a little awkward, has an extra second or two before each battle animation

Both version = have awful looking life bars and damage numbers, have some dynamic kills from z2 removed for no reason (z1 & z2 sprites ARE simply upscaled with a smoothing filter outside a couple characters redrawn like Mazinger), animations range a lot with a lot of normal attacks like FMP being unimpressive and fancy attacks looking great.

Here's to hoping outside of all this there's a good srw game in there, with a good story and lots of cool units & moments! Maybe based on user feedback and another year to optimize, the final game in the series will be improved next year. Will kind of be sad if the final epic game in the z series ends up worse than earlier entries.

Got a call stating that my package should be arriving today.

kzaepw.gif

Sorry, meant sound in general, just not voice. It was being compared to the Z games on PSP, not PS3 (hence my guess above). I've only heard the voice-only part complaint here.

There aren't many complaints on the audio, so I guess it's not really something that everybody notices. Which kinda makes sense since audio is one of the most subjective thing to discuss about - the gap on what the average person hears and the enthusiasts/experts is too huge. (And I'm one of the average peeps, LOL.)

I see quite a number of people on 2ch go "should've bought the Vita version" since they were disappointed with the PS3 version (they were expecting that it has better quality).

Edit:Well, there we go.

Now that I know I have a feeling I'm going to be listening for it now. :/

Even if I do detect a difference I don't think it will have that much of an effect on my enjoyment of the game. Hopefully they can get that ironed out in Z3.2.

Shouta

My package is in customs, woof.

Seriously though, I don't know why Bandai would go Vita -> PS3 when it makes more sense to go PS3 -> Vita from a quality perspective. But then again, it's Japan.

Lucis

Oh man
Got my copy yesterday played/streamed for a bit last night....

I have mixed feeling about this
(I am only up to stage 4 where you first saw the inside of genion's cock pit with double pilot)

So.... so not used to not having full SP at the start of the battle and use tag tention to fill it up.

Maxium boost (also in 2nd og) can be used soooo often. I haven't looked into exactly how tention is built, (downing an enemy?). tension also doesn't seem to go down while combo can go down.

Just feels weird over all

And the ps3 battle animation delay does bug me a bit... the battle animation off display is also not as good as before it feels (should be bigger box IMO), and what's up that you can't press triangle to toggle that anymore?

My package is in customs, woof.

Seriously though, I don't know why Bandai would go Vita -> PS3 when it makes more sense to go PS3 -> Vita from a quality perspective. But then again, it's Japan.

It was probably a late decision once they realized they could get sales from people who don't have Vitas or prefer PS3 over Vita.

I'm not sure why that wasn't considered in the first place though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
New systems change things up a lot. I am only on stage 6 so its too early to tell how well they work in later stages.

Thanks for the reply, Ill keep the thread subbed and check back when more folks have more game time with it. Id reckon over the weekend some people will have more to say as freetime to play is avail.

Am not in a rush to get it right away as still need to clear off some other titles from the plate. D: But really do want this one due to the roster.

So as someone who understands 0 Japanese how would I fare being able to play?

I've imported EXVS FB and Gundam Breaker and have been able to navigate and play those but I'm not sure how this would stack up to those. I've never played a previous entry either.

So as someone who understands 0 Japanese how would I fare being able to play?

I've imported EXVS FB and Gundam Breaker and have been able to navigate and play those but I'm not sure how this would stack up to those. I've never played a previous entry either.

i play this games since J for the GBA and back there i didn't use a guide . I just figured it out by playing and playing , right now i just remenber how to play since gameplay rarely varies betwen entries o i don't think it's a big deal

Nice little touch after the stage 4 route split, spoiler tagging just in case.
If you choose to not go hiking you get to see the Celestial Being Movie and it shows Getter Icon, Mazinger, and four of the same Valkyrie's from Frontier. It was not long at all and all you saw were just the icons but was nice they included that at least.

Naite

And the ps3 battle animation delay does bug me a bit... the battle animation off display is also not as good as before it feels (should be bigger box IMO), and what's up that you can't press triangle to toggle that anymore?

It kinda bugs me that there's no sound when during the animation skip.

So whats the verdict from GAF?

I'm coming off slightly disappointed. There's a lot of little things I don't like that really start to add up. A lot of the attacks/animations seem really lackluster. I haven't skipped this many animations in the early point of the game as much as now. And I'm not a fan of how the tag system works. It feels a bit too limiting and I was hoping it'd be like OG2nd. But I still haven't fiddled enough with tag commands and the combo system so that might change my opinion of it.

Loving all the FMP-based shenanigans in the story.

Bebpo

Banned
It kinda bugs me that there's no sound when during the animation skip.

wtf, why would they do this? The actual engine shouldn't be any different than Z1 & Z2. Just different sprites and audio. Seems weirddddd. This especially affects me because I FF through all animations I watch in Alpha 3/Z1/OG games because the default speed is kind of slow. Although the new skip to the good parts feature they added in Z2 is pretty decent so I might just use that.

I'm coming off slightly disappointed. There's a lot of little things I don't like that really start to add up. A lot of the attacks/animations seem really lackluster. I haven't skipped this many animations in the early point of the game as much as now. And I'm not a fan of how the tag system works. It feels a bit too limiting and I was hoping it'd be like OG2nd. But I still haven't fiddled enough with tag commands and the combo system so that might change my opinion of it.

Loving all the FMP-based shenanigans in the story.

I wonder if the lack of animations and minor problems here and there are all a result of a rushed release. Major SRW games usually take 3 years+ to make, and it's only been 2 years since Z2-2. That coupled with all the DLC makes me wonder if Scamco is working as hard as possible to drive another franchise into the ground. Again, hopefully Z3-2 is a little more polished next year. I'd actually be ok if Z3-2 took 2 years and didn't come out until 2016 if it meant better animations, more new roster entries and more polish.

Shouta

Animation issue probably won't bother me too much. I usually only watch it the first time and occasionally when I want to. =o Otherwise no animation. I do hope they patch it though.

Bebpo

Banned
You know, I kind of wonder with the whole "higher the resolution = less animation frames because so expensive to draw each frame in high detail" problem with SRW, if eventually they're gonna go Guilty Gear XRD style with really good cell-shaded 3d models that practically look 2d.

If they can nail the special effects/after effects part (the biggest thing lacking from 3d SRW animations), I could be...ok with that if it means getting great animation + sharp detailed models.

Beth Cyra

Cross Post from Gundam Gaf

Finally caught a couple All Attack videos on Youtube for SRW Z3, and I got to say they aren't nearly as impressive as I thought they'd be.

Wing Gundam Zero - 1 Cut in, and only the 1 Dynamic Kill. HUGE step back from Wing Gundam Zero TV and the amount of care and love they showed it in Z2. This combined with the complete lack of cut in's for TG III and Deathscythe Hell and EW also getting snubbed for the intro more then ever makes me believe they really didn't want to include it in the roster.

Also, no Rolling Twin Buster Rifle was a complete shock to me. RTB in alot of ways is Banpresto's singnature move for Zero even more so then the bunker shot. Still I will give them props for getting the Double Camera color correct with the Green/Violet instead of the usual screw up of Green/Green.

1+ for having
Zero Reveal be the one cut in
. Lastly Zero's shoulders are strangely monstrous in his cut in. Compare his tiny arms to them and it's just something isn't right.

OO Raiser - He was also a step back from OO Raiser in Z2, granted he's not the star of the movie, but the reduction in quality was still surprising.

Nu Gundam - Some really great stuff here. The new All ranged attack is glorious.

Unicorn Gundam/Sinanju - I know some people were actually disappointed with there original showing in GM, but honestly I found them better represented there then here. They are beautiful no doubt, but for this being their big Debut, the amount of attacks and cut in's they get are certainly below what I was hoping for.

Still I will pick it up after I get done with training for my new job, but just on animations (this is why I play them, to see my favorite mechs kick ass) I can't say I'm nearly as happy about Z3 as I was for Z2.1 or Z2.2.

Wow, the tactical combo and maximum break make this game easier than before. 5x combo + maximum break = bosses drop tear. In previous SRW many tough bosses are tough because of their defensive abilities but now they're useless since maximum break negates everything. I'm still early in the game so hopefully there are bosses with insane HP later.

isual

I realized I bought the vita version for gundam unicorn.

ahuehuehue.

still waiting for my z2 saisei hen copy from ebay to arrive as well

You know, I kind of wonder with the whole "higher the resolution = less animation frames because so expensive to draw each frame in high detail" problem with SRW, if eventually they're gonna go Guilty Gear XRD style with really good cell-shaded 3d models that practically look 2d.
This would be fantastic for SRW and G-Generation, but I wonder if Bamco would just cheap out and use the same CGI models and textures they have in the G-Gen cutscene movies. It seems like something they would do, especially after downgrading from a great cel-shaded look in Gundam Mosou 3 to a regular CG one in GM4.

Bebpo

Banned
Cross Post from Gundam Gaf

Still I will pick it up after I get done with training for my new job, but just on animations (this is why I play them, to see my favorite mechs kick ass) I can't say I'm nearly as happy about Z3 as I was for Z2.1 or Z2.2.

Could stuff like Wing Zero's lack of RTB just mean that Wing Movie will finish in Z3-2 and they're saving the best attacks for Z3-2?

I have a feeling they might be doing that with a lot of units. Saving their best attacks for Z3-2 so that everyone has something new and impressive looking.

They could also use the time until Z3-2 to polish some of the animations that people think look bad (like Deathscythe Hell).

I got my copy of Z3-1 and while I'm looking forward to playing it, at this point I'm going in with pretty low expectations and just playing it for the story and some cool animations. Hopefully the plot is good! Z2 had pretty darn good OG stories for SRW standards. I'll reserve my hype for AWESOME ANIMATION EXPLOSION for Z3-2 and fingers crossed that it won't let me down there.

Could stuff like Wing Zero's lack of RTB just mean that Wing Movie will finish in Z3-2 and they're saving the best attacks for Z3-2?

I have a feeling they might be doing that with a lot of units. Saving their best attacks for Z3-2 so that everyone has something new and impressive looking.

They could also use the time until Z3-2 to polish some of the animations that people think look bad (like Deathscythe Hell).

I got my copy of Z3-1 and while I'm looking forward to playing it, at this point I'm going in with pretty low expectations and just playing it for the story and some cool animations. Hopefully the plot is good! Z2 had pretty darn good OG stories for SRW standards. I'll reserve my hype for AWESOME ANIMATION EXPLOSION for Z3-2 and fingers crossed that it won't let me down there.

I think that's possible. We had stuff like Nu Gundam getting redone in Z2 so I think it's possible for the units that are looking a little bad right now.

And my copy arrived!

About to start now.

Bebpo

Banned
I get way too excited about mainline new SRW games. Now that I got my copy and registered the DLC code, I just bought a 10000yen PSN card and all the DLC before I've even popped in the game.

I'm pretty completionist when it comes to the Z series, which is why I do full scenario branch single playthroughs with multiple saves. If the DLC stages are like extra character development/story bits...I must play them all! >____<

Yes, I have a problem lol

Actually, I can use 3,000 of this for Dark Prison whenever the hell they finally release it for download. And the rest should cover all the Z3-1 and Z3-2 DLC hopefully. So probably just about right.

Now time to play this sucker!

I do like that PS3/Vita at least share DLC, so if I end up double-dipping on the Vita version all the DLC works.

Top Bottom