• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Jigoku-hen |OT| Localized when hell chapter freezes over

Keylow415

How about some Scopedog?

nk06j2IM.png

can u please do strike freedom when u can?

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, a couple of maps in on the PS3 version and....it's great!

Honestly, it's much better than I expected. I'm not sure what the sound being missing while fast-forwarding thing mentioned on the last page is about, in my PS3 version when I hold O to FF the sound and voices still play just like every post Alpha 3 SRW that isn't Z2 (since Z2 went with the [] skip instead).

Ok, first I'll go with the negatives:

-Lack of analogue movements is extremely awkward at first and really needs to be fixed in a patch. It's just freaking stupid. Also all the shortcuts are weird but you can customize them (like put quick save on [] when not on a unit, and put transform on a button when on a unit). Also they made demo scene ON/OFF triangle+R1 instead of just triangle which makes ZERO sense since triangle isn't used for anything on that menu but w/e you just press two buttons now instead.

-The loading at the start of battle is weird. But it seems like it loads both sides of attack in that initial bit, so if you skip to the other side it starts the counter pretty quick. Also, yeah you do get used to it.

-The talking scenes with the boxes are only weird because the boxes are SMALL and on a big tv top screen box and bottom screen box when two people are talking are really far away so you can to keep moving your eyes up and down when reading the dialogue between multiple characters. Would've been nice if they let you re-position the boxes closer to each other or just did it like most SRW and had them all at the bottom.

-The animation on the FMP units is pretty simple and bad. Sprites are solid but it's almost DS/3DS level of animation. One of the nice things about taking a series like FMP that's only had low-level sprite animation & no-voice on DS and sticking it in a mainline game is getting full voice and big gorgeous sprite animations. Kinddddaa didn't happen at least with the starting attacks.

-There's a weird cut to black screen before battling with demo scene off which just slows it down.

Ok, now the good!

-Game looks GREAT. Really nice seeing the Z2 sprites all big on a TV. It makes them and their animations feel kind of fresh and new even if they're just the old animations. Everyone looks good at 720p. Even the shitty damage number fonts don't seem like a big deal. Even the map looks solid. Animations are not like 2nd OGs, but they're fine and/or good.

-Love the new SP system! It actually encourages you to play SRW differently than in the past because you want to conserve SP (something that hasn't been an issue for many SRW games lately). Can't just spam concentrate and have to deal with actually missing attacks! Been so long since I missed an attack in a mainline SRW. I like it!

-Story is starting off good. Like the OG stuff right from the start and all the anime series are mixing in well.

So basically at the start it's fun to play, looks fantastic and the story is good with the only downside being getting used to the controls and reading boxes and some extra two-three seconds of loading before battle scenes. Not bad!

Bebpo

Banned
Oh and the square thing went back to Z1 where it switches to the other side. I liked the Z2 one where it first jumps to the end of the attack so you can see the damage and hear the reaction dialogue line and then the next press goes to the other side. Not sure why they ditched it, but FF is fast enough so I'll live with just using FF again.

Hey Bebpo, I think that person meant there's no sound when animations are turned off. I'm not sure if this was the case in the other Z games, but it definitely threw me off.

Bebpo

Banned
Played about 6 hours straight. Tag system seems alright, but the game is actually moderately challenging on hard mode early on going for the SR points. One of the main things is that it feels like it takes a lot longer to build up morale for the party, so you don't have access to even the 130 morale attacks until 3-4-5 turns in near the end of the map.

Between that and the low damage of most units best attacks at the start and high HP of enemies on hard and tag system...puts up a bit of a challenge. You're not one-shotting grunts at all for the first few rounds.

Also, it seems like the tag system really isn't a real partner/squad system where you get around deploy counts by teaming up all your best units. Mainly because when you attack, outside of maximum break, your support unit can't select their individual attack and just has a generic low damage support attack. They're mainly good for support defense and a little bit of extra damage. But I'm making my teams of 1 good unit and 1 support unit at this point.

Finally in terms of the 24 DLC stages and how they fit in story-wise. I did the first one and it definitely added some background to the OG story and made sense in the story flow where it took place. However when I did the next main game mission (first DLC stage takes place after stage 4 and before stage 5), there are some lines that felt at odds with what just happened in the DLC mission if it's canon. It's not a big deal, but it just doesn't really flow perfectly if you cut and paste it into the main game story. Also in the DLC stages you can't use your team with their upgrades, it's set units and there's no SR point. I'm guessing they're pretty much going to be like the bonus scenarios in Alpha 3 that you'd unlock in the scenario chart.

Oh and one other thing, the game is taking its sweet time to introduce ANY of the new series. They haven't done ep1 of a single "new" series in the first 6 hours outside FMP which is slightly less new since it's been in SRW before. Like all the stages in the first six hours are basically OG stages or made up filler stages to re-introduce the old cast. I know the game's long and there aren't a ton of new entry series, but at some point they need to start covering actual anime eps and their plots :p

Zerojul

Played about 6 hours straight. Tag system seems alright, but the game is actually moderately challenging on hard mode early on. One of the main things is that it feels like it takes a lot longer to build up morale for the party, so you don't have access to even the 130 morale attacks until 3-4-5 turns in near the end of the map.

Between that and the low damage of most units best attacks at the start and high HP of enemies on hard and tag system...puts up a bit of a challenge. You're not one-shotting grunts at all for the first few rounds.
More challenge is welcomed, I just hope there are no SR points impossible to get on a first playthrough (without upgraded units), I'd find that very frustating.

Bebpo

Banned
Also I think this may be the first SRW game that actually shows your play time (on the save/load screen). Now when I estimate that I spend 100+ hours on these games, I'll finally have actual proof down to the minute! :p

Tsukumo

Finally in terms of the 24 DLC stages and how they fit in story-wise. I did the first one and it definitely added some background to the OG story and made sense in the story flow where it took place. However when I did the next main game mission (first DLC stage takes place after stage 4 and before stage 5), there are some lines that felt at odds with what just happened in the DLC mission if it's canon. It's not a big deal, but it just doesn't really flow perfectly if you cut and paste it into the main game story. Also in the DLC stages you can't use your team with their upgrades, it's set units and there's no SR point. I'm guessing they're pretty much going to be like the bonus scenarios in Alpha 3 that you'd unlock in the scenario chart.

I think the game is a harder because they took away meaningful upgrade parts. The most useful (to even the odds, especially in terms of hit/miss percentage) were "hidden" in the dlcs. Sneaky. The game already goes for 8'000 yen, with dlcs it will probably go over 10k. They must have made a lot of money with OE, UX and MasoIII dlc.

Oh and one other thing, the game is taking its sweet time to introduce ANY of the new series. They haven't done ep1 of a single "new" series in the first 6 hours outside FMP which is slightly less new since it's been in SRW before. Like all the stages in the first six hours are basically OG stages or made up filler stages to re-introduce the old cast. I know the game's long and there aren't a ton of new entry series, but at some point they need to start covering actual anime eps and their plots :p

At the first "true" route-split (mission 9) you get three paths, one with Unicorn, one with Eva, and one that keeps going about FMP and past series (Code Geass, Votoms).

I'm actually a few missions away from the route split so I think I might go with MITHRIL.

Some units do have decent support attacks though, like Luca has his Ghost attack as his assist while in fighter mode which has around 3600 base damage and barrier pierce/size ignore, which for me at least tends to do pretty good damage as a support. I believe it also inflicts a status down but I haven't checked to see what it is yet.

Right now I've set up my squads so I can get at least one person with accel in as many squads as possible. Other than that I have a few damage dealers twinned up for the maximum breakage on bosses.

Jaeger

I can make them avatar'd properly, if you guys want. Head n chest shots, slightly smaller but still with a transparent background.

tbW8qnBd.png
xQC5TUua.png

LMN

I can make them avatar'd properly, if you guys want. Head n chest shots, slightly smaller but still with a transparent background.

tbW8qnBd.png
xQC5TUua.png

Wow, thanks again Jaeger =) I will take the first one =P

Still haven't import Z3.1 yet since I just used my budget to import J-star T_T, though I must said I really like the new original mecha design especially
Genion G.A.I

Yes, I'm really impressed with how clean the sprites look and I don't think the animations are bad at all. Sure, a lot of units are missing attacks and dynamic kills but it's not Alpha Gaiden in HD like I read on other message boards. Hah, so silly as the game looks great.

I haven't tried my Vita version yet but also don't know where to go to transfer my save file heh.

LMN

Yes, I'm really impressed with how clean the sprites look and I don't think the animations are bad at all. Sure, a lot of units are missing attacks and dynamic kills but it's not Alpha Gaiden in HD like I read on other message boards. Hah, so silly as the game looks great.

I haven't tried my Vita version yet but also don't know where to go to transfer my save file heh.

IMO, the animations are not bad, it's beautiful, but rather the "battle" animation is a huge step down and lackluster when compared with Z2.1 and Z2.2. The biggest example is the Wing Zero (Z2) and Wing Zero custom.

FMP unit animations aside, I think the complaint was in choreography not being there?

From what I've seen most of the big Finishers are flat fucking gorgeous but some of the 'standard' attacks are lacking. Like Mazinger's Breast Fire and Rocket Punch being a bit meh.

CorvoSol

My copy is here!

Questions, though, about the SRW HD thing.

So I have to change my account to JP to download it, right? But after I download it, I can change my account back to US and play it, right? So I won't need to keep switching back and forth?

Beth Cyra

Could stuff like Wing Zero's lack of RTB just mean that Wing Movie will finish in Z3-2 and they're saving the best attacks for Z3-2?

I have a feeling they might be doing that with a lot of units. Saving their best attacks for Z3-2 so that everyone has something new and impressive looking.

They could also use the time until Z3-2 to polish some of the animations that people think look bad (like Deathscythe Hell).

I got my copy of Z3-1 and while I'm looking forward to playing it, at this point I'm going in with pretty low expectations and just playing it for the story and some cool animations. Hopefully the plot is good! Z2 had pretty darn good OG stories for SRW standards. I'll reserve my hype for AWESOME ANIMATION EXPLOSION for Z3-2 and fingers crossed that it won't let me down there.
Now that your several hours in, do you think this is the case? How has it handled Wing and OO?

Shouta

Suzune~

FMP animation is worse than imagined, lol.

Picked up the DLC maps anyway. 7 bucks for all of them currently. Should be fun anyway so.

IronLich

Think I can get a Guren SEITEN, pretty please?

My game is supposed to arrive on Monday. I'm expecting the worst, but getting hype for the best.

I definitely think they could have spruced up some of the FMP animations. Just compare Arbalast from W(pretty sure it was W) to this one. Not to mention the animations changed somewhat once the Lambda Drive becomes active.

In this once it activates there's no change to the animations.

Am I wrong in assuming that the main character mech of an included series should have some flair like that?

Do the series theme songs have vocals in this?

I just got my copy so I haven't gotten to play myself yet to see if they all do, but yes, a lot of them do, on the stream from a couple of days ago the Macross Frontier OP and several songs (aside from one of the action BGMs from the show) and the FMP OP all had vocals and later when I skimmed later into the stream I also heard Gundam Wing OP, Unicorn, and Aquarion EVOL OP songs with vocals as well.

Beth Cyra

I just got my copy so I haven't gotten to play myself yet to see if they all do, but yes, a lot of them do, on the stream from a couple of days ago the Macross Frontier OP and several songs (aside from one of the action BGMs from the show) and the FMP OP all had vocals and later when I skimmed later into the stream I also heard Gundam Wing OP, Unicorn, and Aquarion EVOL OP songs with vocals as well.

This must have been a custom soundtrack then.

Wing's music is based on EW and as far as I can tell from the ST listing and from what I've heard none of it has lyrics.

In general they don't, sometimes they will leave in the Get/Open Get during Getter Theme, but in general they never/very rarely have lyrics during the songs.

I finally got some time to play the PS3 version and after all the negativity surrounding release, I was almost surprised by how good it looks. I really dig the clean look of the sprites and the 2D map. The combat animations are a bit weak, but not terrible. And yeah, that 2 second hang up when a fight starts is annoying. I kind of wish they had put a 1 second black screen rather than just show the attacking units doing nothing.

Digging around wikis, I don't think length will be an issue. (spoiling the number of stages just in case)
61 stages to a playthrough, including an epilogue stage, and 100 different stages total. Pretty much standard fare.

Also, the official site lists prices and release dates for DLC. Basically, all 24 bonus stages will have released in a week, and they add up to roughly ¥3,000.

Does anyone know what that 1.01 patch on PS3 was for?
I'm kind of hoping they'll make the combat hang up less noticeable. I also wish there was an option to switch analog and digital controls on the map.

That was just the streamer using custom soundtracks. All the themes are instrumental. If you look up PV3 on YouTube, you'll get an idea of the themes used for each series (it's not really PV3, just that rolling demo that showcases every series).

but can you use the HD code on ps3, that is the question.
No reason to think so. As I pointed out earlier, the PS3 version of Z3 gives you SRW for PS3, not Vita. Conversely, I'm pretty sure Z3 on a Vita entitles you to SRW only on Vita.
The Z3 DLC is crossbuy though, for each stage you get it on both platforms. The Vita bonus stages are 100kb, which pretty much confirms they're all locked away on the game cart.

My copy is here!

Questions, though, about the SRW HD thing.

So I have to change my account to JP to download it, right? But after I download it, I can change my account back to US and play it, right? So I won't need to keep switching back and forth?
Yeah, I did exactly that on PS3. Basically, I buy/redeem downloadable stuff on my JP account (I tend to do it from the PC), I log in to my JP account on my PS3 to activate the contents on my PS3 and launch all the downloads, and then I just switch to my everyday EU account. Everything finishes downloading and I can play on my regular account.

Top Bottom