• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 56th Annual Grammy Awards |OT| Sunday, the LORDe's day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Macklemore thought Kenny deserved Best Rap Album. From Mack's instagram

cd88e786871a11e39972121de7c604a9_8.jpg

http://instagram.com/p/jqXYYAwK_y/#
+respect

Oozer3993

A couple months ago, I put a little bit of work into a Daft Punk/Taylor Swift mash-up. This is either the perfect time to finish it, or the worst. But definitely one of the two.

confuziz

Banned
Good to see angry Trent is still alive, I thought he couldn't care less about this kind of stuff anymore.

a big f you to the grammys though!

So happy for Daft Punk. I honestly wasn't expecting them to win this big, but damn this was great! On the downside though, Kendrick was just flat-out robbed.

see5harp

Robbed sorta implies that the Grammys means something in the grand scheme. These old gave will smith awards in two consecutive years and hand out nominations to guys like Eric Clapton 30 years after the fact every year.

gimmmick

Record of the Year

Best pop duo/group performance

Best dance/electronica album

Best engineered album,Non classical

Album of the Year

thumbs_up_okay_daft_punk.gif

Deal with it.

Motherfuckers had Giorgio Moroder, Paul Williams, Nile Rodgers, DJ Falcon, Pharrell, Todd Edwards on the same stage. Legendary.

Fucking legendary. You just had that feeling that daft punk would win it with the industry giving it's long over due props to a duo that put electronic music on the map back in the 90s. I'm happy a great album won the best honor of the night. You might think it's there best work (alive 2007 will always be my favorite daft punk record), but with the way the grammys have been picking it's winners... i'm not surprised (generation of shock starting with arcade fire back in 2011).

Majmun

Beyoncé the best of the night.

US MAG

Beyonce & Jay Z Grammys Performance: Couple Owns The Show With 'Drunk In Love.

Huffington Post

Beyoncé set the stage on fire with her opening performance at the Grammys.

We’re not even through hour one of this year’s Grammys telecast, but already it seems like it might be all downhill from here.

SLANT

Jay Z and Beyoncé, music’s hottest power couple, kicked off the 56th GRAMMY Awards with their steamiest performance yet.

Lights shined down on a wet-haired, Chromat-wearing Bey’ as she straddled a chair to "Drunk In Love." Her husband, Jay Z, joined her for his collaborative rhymes, making it their first televised performance of the hit from her Internet-smashing self-titled album.

Billboard

The 2014 Grammys opened strong with a smoking, steamy, bleep-filled and mostly seated performance of “Drunk in Love” by Beyoncé and Jay Z, who managed to make an Ikea chair look like a peep show prop. This should definitely earn her an award next year.

MTV

Who else but the Grammy Queen?

igEFBIwEuuNII.gif

Majmun

Best Seat in the House: Beyoncé opened the show performing "Drunk in Love" with just a chair, a "surfboard" and then some sexy time with hubby Jay Z. Simple, sexy and such a better way to open the show than...

Scary Perry:
Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" duet with Juicy J was such a huge scary frightfest—featuring dancing horses, flaming circles and gyrating dancers—that we kind of wish Nicki Minaj's pope pal had been on hand to say some prayers afterward.

Least Fab: We love Ringo Starr, but seeing him perform with a gigantic band that somehow didn't include fellow Beatle Paul McCartney (who was in the audience, of course) was just a letdown. (Much More Fab? Ringo and McCartney did team up later so all was right in the world again.)

Swift Seal of Approval: The Imagine Dragons drumtastic performance with Kendrick Lamar started off a little unsteady and then fell into an undeniable groove once the rapper started that really worked. And we know because Taylor Swift was totally out of her seat dancing.

Worst Surprise: Pink's incredible trapeze work is absolutely stunning, but it's hard not to feel a little letdown about the act since she's done it before, including on previous Grammys. Still, it was, and is, pretty amazing.

Best Mashup: Adding Stevie Wonder to Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" was just the right thing. Of course, adding Stevie Wonder to anything—songs, sandwiches, whatever—is always the right thing to do.

E! News

Another win for Beyoncé.

Lol at Katy getting dragged like that. She deserves it, tho. She's not a good performer.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
daft punk getting grammys out the wazoo for their most boring (but hyped and 'serious') album to date is emblematic of the sad state of the 'serious people' of pop music tbh

[edit] the onion absolutely knocked it out of the park with their grammy articles. this one is among the best satire they've produced in years.

Everyone must have been distracted by her ass or something, because she had one of the weakest showings of the night, not that many of the performances were good (Kendrick was easily the best, and the buzz around social media seems to back that up)

i've only watched her performance and katy perry's for t'n'a. was great foreplay for the real thing on xvideos.

The little "Harder better faster stronger" bits on the Daft Punk / Pharrell performance made me squeal a little. Nice little touches.

Glad the robots won some awards.

Diablos

Well I'm glad Daft Punk won. They're better than everything else they went up against which doesn't say a lot, but still, good news. Bruno Mars winning is good too, and I actually like that Clarity song. Generally all of the categories that I was interested in surprised me for the better, except for that fucking hack Macklemore. Oh, and Imagine Dragons winning anything for any reason is a joke in and of itself. Oh well.

Still, for being the Grammys a lot of things proved to be a pleasant surprise.

IceCold

The little "Harder better faster stronger" bits on the Daft Punk / Pharrell performance made me squeal a little. Nice little touches.

Glad the robots won some awards.

They had also added a short "around the world" when the mash up with Another Star started.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Daft Punk should have just done a mini mix, would have been a lot better

Halcyon

When I went back to school a few years ago I was sitting in class and some girl was playing some techno on her computer speakers. I am an old man by comparison(32) and I said "hmm that sounds kinda like daft punk" and she goes "who's that, this is deadmau5". I had never heard of deadmau5 but I had to point out after some research that he was just a blatant rip off of Daft Punk to which she shrugged off as :eek:ld man yells at cloud.

I'm glad they got popular again and are getting awards. They're the only techno that I've ever really embraced and I love everything about them.

bjork

Wow, I was totally wrong about the grammys and the royal rumble. Someone mark their calendar.

Good for DP and Lorde, though. :)

Damn they did NIN/QOTSA dirty

Yeah I was a bit disappointed by that performance. I think it's cool that these guys got to close the Grammys at all, but hearing that chaotic performance of Copy of A, and then a condensed version of My God is the Sun was a little disappointing as a fan of both bands. I don't really know what the guy from Fleetwood Mac was doing up there.

Well at least they where sort of watchable this year. WTF @ some of those wins though. I know it's a bunch of old dudes deciding this so it shouldn't mean much but seriously...QOTSA losing it's awards to that old ass live Zep album and Imagine Dragons. Or Mackelmore stealing the awards that Kendrick or Kanye should have been fighting over (which should have gone to Kanye IMO). Only genre specific award I was happy with was Vampire Weekend taking home the best alternative record (lmfao at that insanely broad award tho). I could have also been happy with NIN taking that home but I can honestly say that MVOTC is better than Hestitation Marks even if I enjoy it more.

Happy that Daft Punk swept up their awards but they didn't have much competition since most of the time the big awards are the usual big stars. RAM was above most of the other nominations but outside of about 4-5 songs including the already iconic 'Get Lucky' or 'Instant Crush' which I LOVE, that album was just varying levels of boredom for me. I feel like a lot of people gave them a free pass because they had been away for a while and didn't wanna seem like they where hating on the change to a retro sound. Their performance was alright, Pharell is a cheeseball, and I have to admit my blood flowed a little quicker when the window dropped, but I imagine it was way cooler in person than watching on TV.

Lack of Kanye was disappointing. Even if you hate him you have to admit the dude is at the very least interesting to watch. I'm guessing he figured not to bother since he knew he was gonna get shafted with only 2 noms and no record of the year nod. Sad they couldn't even book him to perform. His live show is way more engaging and would translate better to TV than most of the acts that played. Same with the lack of Drake.

The NIN/QOTSA + Dave Grohl finale was fucking awesome though! Glad to see two of the few surviving rock bands that actually make badass rock music still get that slot. I love 'Copy of A' and even if Trent sounded a little flat, Josh's assist more than made up for it and man when they launched into 'My God Is the Sun' I was getting pumpeeeeeed and then it got shat on by being cut off 2/3rds through. What the FUCK. Glad Trent called em out on it. So lame QOTSA got neutered like that. Betting had it been Bey or someone of that caliber it wouldn't have happened.

Honorable mentions include Lorde being so damn endearingly weird and Juicy J being so damn amazing.

hoos30

GAF: I hate when established, tired acts win over more deserving artists and material.

Daft Punk sweeps Grammys.

GAF: Fuck yeah!

RAM is the best cure for insomnia on the market, just turrible. Absolutely no different than fucking Herbie Hancock winning a few years ago. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom