• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 2024 |OT| We are the ones who dwell within

calistan

Introducing my daughter and son to Critters. Used to love these movies when I was their age.
Any recommendations for child-friendly horror? I recently showed my 10-year-old Wednesday on Netfilx, and she loved it.Terrified at times, but completely enthralled with the murder mystery aspect of it.

A bit of mild swearing and gore is okay, but not anything too strong. She's seen Goosebumps. I want to show her Sweeney Todd but I think that's a step too far, maybe in a few years.

Kacho

Gold Member
Any recommendations for child-friendly horror? I recently showed my 10-year-old Wednesday on Netfilx, and she loved it.Terrified at times, but completely enthralled with the murder mystery aspect of it.

A bit of mild swearing and gore is okay, but not anything too strong. She's seen Goosebumps. I want to show her Sweeney Todd but I think that's a step too far, maybe in a few years.
My daughter loved Wednesday. She dressed up as her last Halloween after watching the show.

Every parent has different standards as far as what they deem appropriate. Critters and Gremlins are very safe for a 10-year-old and probably a step up from what they have seen.

House on Haunted Hill (1959)
The Mummy (1999)
Dracula (1939)
Abbot and Costello meet [monster] movies.

I’ve gone a step further on what I’ve allowed my kids to watch. Simply because I was watching things way worse when I was their age. We grew up in a different time.

-Child’s Play (some bad language, kids loved it)
-Child’s Play 2 (lots of bad language, kids loved it)
-The Grudge (very suspenseful, daughter loved it, was too scary for son)

The first two Child’s Play movies were a hit with the kids. So much so we got a Chucky candy dish from the Halloween store. The bad language is a bit much, but it’s a horror movie so the ‘shock’ is part of the experience.

Pennywise is legendary amongst their friends. They want nothing to do with the movies haha. It’s pure nightmare fuel to them so use your best judgement when it comes to your kids.

calistan

My daughter loved Wednesday. She dressed up as her last Halloween after watching the show.

Every parent has different standards as far as what they deem appropriate. Critters and Gremlins are very safe for a 10-year-old and probably a step up from what they have seen.

House on Haunted Hill (1959)
The Mummy (1999)
Dracula (1939)
Abbot and Costello meet [monster] movies.

I’ve gone a step further on what I’ve allowed my kids to watch. Simply because I was watching things way worse when I was their age. We grew up in a different time.

-Child’s Play (some bad language, kids loved it)
-Child’s Play 2 (lots of bad language, kids loved it)
-The Grudge (very suspenseful, daughter loved it, was too scary for son)

The first two Child’s Play movies were a hit with the kids. So much so we got a Chucky candy dish from the Halloween store. The bad language is a bit much, but it’s a horror movie so the ‘shock’ is part of the experience.

Pennywise is legendary amongst their friends. They want nothing to do with the movies haha. It’s pure nightmare fuel to them so use your best judgement when it comes to your kids.
Child's Play was totally demonised here in the UK after a toddler was murdered in a similar way by a couple of 10-year-olds, so I don't think I could ever show her that. But classic horror is a good call, I enjoyed the old black and white horrors when I was that age.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hope they enjoy it. My kids were locked in on the movie. The suspense and tone was perfect. Better than I remember.
lol thanks, they are in their mid 20s now though - but they're like me and love incredibly cheesy movies. This year's "thing" has been 80s horror. We usually watch one cheesy / kids movie (Gremlins, Critters, Ghoulies) then follow it up with something actually scary (Fright Night, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.)

I62pMbL.gif

★★★★☆ / Denim of Darkness

Last edited:

pachura

Is Black Phone any good? Tempted to rent it.
Black Phone was written by the son of Stephen King
And it is about a monster guy with balloons kidnapping kids
But in his original book the movie is based on, this monster was... waaait for it... A CLOWN
Creativity level: over 9000

Last edited:

8bitpill

Anyone seen this one yet, any good?

IGAwrTb.jpeg
Just watched it the other night.

It's a slow burn, and it's mostly from the slashers point of view. It's a cool idea and well executed. Nothing amazing, but if you've enjoyed the first couple of Friday the 13th films, you will like this as well.

There are some brutal kills in it, which I feel like they did well since most of them have a pretty big build up to each kill,
VIOLENT%20NATURE%20BLURB.gif

Last edited:

EerieArcade

Going to watch Halloween (2018) tonight. Really enjoyed that one and I thought Halloween was back, but then I watched Kills and Ends and thought both were largely dreadful, especially ends.

clarky

Gold Member
I also watched V/H/S Beyond last night.

It was exactly like the other entries in the series, if you liked those then theres a good time in this. I quite like low budget special effects coupled with blurry footage. When it works, it just works.

6.5/10.

clarky

Gold Member
Just watched it the other night.

It's a slow burn, and it's mostly from the slashers point of view. It's a cool idea and well executed. Nothing amazing, but if you've enjoyed the first couple of Friday the 13th films, you will like this as well.

There are some brutal kills in it, which I feel like they did well since most of them have a pretty big build up to each kill,
VIOLENT%20NATURE%20BLURB.gif

I found it to be utterly tedious, the killer just seemingly went from one random place to the next. Slowly.

Although I will admit I lost interest half way through so it might make more sense than I thought.

Last edited:
Top Bottom