• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 58th Presidential Inauguration Ceremony: President Donald J Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

Trump signing a bunch of papers, not realizing he is supposed to use a new pen each time so the pen is given away. Dear lord.

Coffinhal

This was Obama's starting point...

1/20/2009:
Unemployment rate: 7.8% (and trending up)
GDP: 8.2% decrease (4th quarter of 2008)
Dow: 7,949.09
S&P500: 805.22
NASDAQ: 1,440.86
Jobs No: 661,000 net jobs lost (December 2008 jobs number).

This is Trump's starting point.... (And the results of Obama's leadership)

1/20/2017:
Unemployment rate: 4.7% (and trending down/steady)
GDP: 3.5% increase (4th quarter of 2016)
Dow: 19,732.40
S&P500: 2,263.69
NASDAQ: 5,540.08
Jobs No: 156,000 net jobs added (December 2016 jobs number).

If Trump wants to be just as successful as Obama, he will need the following by 2025.

Unemployment rate: 2.9%
GDP: 10.0% increase.
Dow: 49,398.00 to match Obama's 150.33% increase
S&P500: 6,379.00 to match Obama's 181.79% increase
NASDAQ: 23,966.00 to match Obama's 332.58% increase
Jobs No: 600,000 net jobs added.

But, he ran on that whole Make America Great Again crap, so he will need to do vastly better than Obama and all of his "failed policies".

Unemployment rate has decreased, but there's a reality behind these new jobs, unemployed people that aren't in the stats and poverty hidden
GDP is a limited stat to measure wealth obviously determined by international context
Who cares about the stock exchange market profits when we're talking about public policy ?

Trump tells a lot of lies, but there's no reason to do the same and use stats that 1) can be questionned 2) that you chose while you forget others 3) people don't rely on because that's always been like that

That's not how you're going to win the future campaigns. Just look at how Hillary failed, and she relied A LOT on these stats and "reason"

Donald Trump is a man that also has his own convictions, to think otherwise is unwise. His picks for his cabinets so far are disgusting and self serving. Trump will do what is in the best interest for Trump first, before considering what the people want.

Yes, I agree that he wants people to shout his name so his popularity matters to him, but Trump has spent a lifetime listening to nobody but Trump and doing what is best for him. Forgive me for not thinking he will change now.

But can you really be certain that you or anyone actually knows his convictions? He was accused of not being a real conservative during the primaries, yet those same people that were skeptical of him ended up being his supporters. One thing that can definitely be said of him is that he is a manipulator, and tells people what they want to hear. There's no guarantee he'll claw people's rights backward if he knows the backlash will be too strong. Look at California for example. They voted to legalize weed yet they were a state that largely voted for trump. What do you think would happen if he tried to put pressure to criminalize it again? He won't. He said he has a plan to replace Obamacare. He said he would replace it, not remove it because he knows if he took things back to how they were in 2008 he would see his ratings plummet. All I'm saying is that people should consider that this guy can deceive BOTH sides

Nafai1123

Banned
But can you really be certain that you or anyone actually knows his convictions? He was accused of not being a real conservative during the primaries, yet those same people that were skeptical of him ended up being his supporters. One thing that can definitely be said of him is that he is a manipulator, and tells people what they want to hear. There's no guarantee he'll claw people's rights backward if he knows the backlash will be too strong. Look at California for example. They voted to legalize weed yet they were a state that largely voted for trump. What do you think would happen if he tried to put pressure to criminalize it again? He won't. He said he has a plan to replace Obamacare. He said he would replace it, not remove it because he knows if he took things back to how they were in 2008 he would see his ratings plummet. All I'm saying is that people should consider that this guy can deceive BOTH sides

Huh?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
How? We were in the middle of a market crash when Obama took office. His administration reversed it and the numbers show that.
So it was fair when Romney criticized Obama because gas prices were $1.78 when Obama took office and they were $3.80 in 2012?

This makes no sense at all. He came in the middle of the crash. Those are the stats as they were on the day he took office.
It's intellectually dishonest to use stats taken during the middle of the greatest recession in the past 90 years (as a starting point for growth) as some metric that any future president should live up to. I'd be saying the same thing about someone saying Hillary needed to achieve the same growth.

If you actually, honestly, earnestly listen to Hitler's speeches during his rise to power, when he was democratically elected, like I had to during school many, many times and have continued to do ever since then to remind myself what the start of facism looks like, you will see how absolutely disturbingly similiar his speeches and this inauguration speech was. The invoking of the blood of patriots. The incredible nationalism.

It's fucking frightening watching this from Europe. Just a few days ago a leading politician from right-wing AFD held a speech that was absolutely destroyed and shredded by german media and politicians because it reminded everyone so much of how the Nazis talked. The man got rightfully eviscerated on the public stage. This inauguration speech was worse than that.

Can I quote this for my FB status?

This is possibly the whitest thing I've seen in my whole life...

Just go ahead and throw some sitcom music over it.

What are you talking about?

Lol.at how washington is trembling!

Look how different the swamp looks now!

Look at how worried about their jobs they are! Look how much poorer the room full of old grey haired men looks now!

#MAGAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHG

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Have fun, 'Murica

please stay strong guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom