• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 58th Presidential Inauguration Ceremony: President Donald J Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, Americans are too dull to pick up on even the most obvious of fascist undertones, and will continue to let it slide until the military police start to knock on their door.
Keep in mind that more Americans voted against trump than for him. Don't be so quick to call the 300 million people that live here dull witted.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
If the National Patriotic Day gets me an extra day off work, I might be okay with it.

No, but seriously... isn't that July 4th?

I look forward to mandated parades and participation on "National Patriotic Day" or else you're not patriotic.

AndyD

aka andydumi
LMAO Trump has no idea what's going on. He keeps having to be told / reminded what he's supposed to be doing.

This is not unusual. He is not the first. There's a lot of pomp and formality and this type of awareness comes with experience. That's why staffers are critical on an ongoing basis to arrange everything in the background.

So it was fair when Romney criticized Obama because gas prices were $1.78 when Obama took office and they were $3.80 in 2012?

It's intellectually dishonest to use stats taken during the middle of the greatest recession in the past 90 years (as a starting point for growth) as some metric that any future president should live up to. I'd be saying the same thing about someone saying Hillary needed to achieve the same growth.

It's not necessarily about achieving the same growth, but maintaining a growth path with the realization there is a ceiling to everything and improving in other areas that can show growth.

For example, unemployment will likely never dip below 3%, so it's unrealistic to expect the same raw number, of decrease that Obama achieved. Instead, as you reach full employment, the focus should shift onto wages for those employed and standard of living which can and should continue to increase steadily in a well managed successful economy.

So I partly agree with you it's disingenouous to expect the same raw numbers in some areas, but at the same time there are many areas which need a lot more work. When you recover from a recession you prioritize. Some things have been done, now move onto others. Any backtracking or slowing of the economy will be owned by this administration.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
If you actually, honestly, earnestly listen to Hitler's speeches during his rise to power, when he was democratically elected, like I had to during school many, many times and have continued to do ever since then to remind myself what the start of facism looks like, you will see how absolutely disturbingly similiar his speeches and this inauguration speech was. The invoking of the blood of patriots. The incredible nationalism.

It's fucking frightening watching this from Europe. Just a few days ago a leading politician from right-wing AFD held a speech that was absolutely destroyed and shredded by german media and politicians because it reminded everyone so much of how the Nazis talked. The man got rightfully eviscerated on the public stage. This inauguration speech was worse than that.

Yep.

Probably because nothing in her life will dramatically change.

She's been absolutely awful for the Democratic party yet maintains her leadership position. If I was an out of touch shill with nothing to lose I'd be smiling too.

bwahahaha

Nancy Pelosi is the the #1 fundraiser in congress and one of the most well liked and respected Democrats in Congress by her peers. She's an expert at her job.

"Awful"

GetLucky

I have no fucking idea how I'm going to be able to celebrate my friends bachelor party tonight after this shit show. With any luck I'll get black out drunk and forget.

I'm pretty sure I'm just deluding myself, but when I get sad about all this, I remember that Donald Trump doesn't represent the decent people. When you're out at the party, look around at the people. You'll see people talking, having fun, together. I don't know if that makes any sense, but sometimes it helps me. People, overall, are good.

empyrean

I keep hearing people chatting about making the military stronger. As an outsider...why? You already spend a ridiculous amount of a military that to be quite honest isn't really needed. The threats in the modern world isn't from nations but from splintered groups which can't be fought by armies.

Probably because nothing in her life will dramatically change.

She's been absolutely awful for the Democratic party yet maintains her leadership position. If I was an out of touch shill with nothing to lose I'd be smiling too.

Nancy Pelosi passed a public option health care bill in the House. It isn't her fault that the Senate is more corrupt. What have you done in your life that is nearly as impactful?

Buckle

Still can't believe we elected a bigoted reality tv show clown to to the most powerful position in the world.

Jesus..

Fuck you, my country.

Real Hero

I keep hearing people chatting about making the military stronger. As an outsider...why? You already spend a ridiculous amount of a military that to be quite honest isn't really needed. The threats in the modern world isn't from nations but from splintered groups which can't be fought by armies.

it makes people feel good

Izuna

Banned

Because Obama reduced spending.

Do the opposite as the black man.

rjinaz

Unfortunately, Americans are too dull to pick up on even the most obvious of fascist undertones, and will continue to let it slide until the military police start to knock on their door.

Dumb maybe. I think though honestly they just don't care. In their minds they won't be targeted. I think some would be ok with fascism as long as other people are worse off than they are. That's what is happening. It's not stupid, it's hate and it's also the idea that they want their lives to be better and they don't care if it's at the cost of others.

Then again people don't know true fascism. It's like the people that think God should be in everything. They would be absolutely miserable under a true theocracy. So maybe dumb or ignorant does have some play on second thought.

darkwing

it lines up with patriotism and America First rhetoric, what kind of enemies doesn't matter

Military industrial complex

It's typical nationalist/fascist rhetoric and just part of America's DNA. our military has to be strong to show the world how big our balls are.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Side by side, it is even crazier:

VJhQr15.jpg

edit: since people think this is a narrative, here is a link and time these were taken:

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...ation-vs-obama

Obama's: 11:30 AM ET

Trump's: 11:04 AM ET

Buckle

With all our blind patriotism and constant response of "well, maybe you should just submit" to everything revolving around police brutality, it certainly seems like we're begging for it.

bi_graphics_millitary-budget-compare-chart-2.png

Its especially weirder when you see stuff like this.

cress2000

Sigh. I think I'm going to go to my favorite Mexican restaurant today and give a sizable tip even though I'm normally against tip jars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom