• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So uhhh yeah, about Anne Hathaways nipples. They look very appealing indeed.

You don't know how anything about seams do you?

M9JX0xh.png

omg

YES.

IISANDERII

For those who don't know about the Iranian hostage crisis and why many people are pissed at Argo's depiction of it, here's why:

Basically, Canada was responsible for the majority of the operation. They made the passports. They housed the hostages. They planned almost everything and put themselves in the line of fire when they didn't have to. Argo makes it seem like the CIA did everything. That's its biggest sin.

It's still a great suspense thriller, but it does twist history quite a bit.
ugh, The Sun is the FoxNews equivalent of the North.
But yeah, Argo exaggerated the role of the CIA and left the heroes out in the cold. It goes down easier with Affleck's preface though.

effe

Banned
Also disappointed to see Jennifer Lawrence win ahead of Naomi Watts. Both are great actresses, but Naomi delivered the better performance and to be brutally honest, Jennifer's performance from Silver Linings Playbook was not worthy of an oscar nomination. Her performance in Winters Bone however, that was oscar worthy.
naomi kind of has a shit agent. like all of her movies are awful when she's such a great actress. that audition scene in mulholland dr. alone pretty much demolishes most actor's careers.

Eric Hall

Overall, I have to say I enjoyed the show. Seth did a much better job than I expected, especially in comparison to some of the other recent hosts. Just some quick thoughts:

-- Waltz winning was a good surprise, although I would have been fine with any of the other actors winning here as well

--Haven't seen Les Mis, so no comment on Hathaway's win. But I would have been annoyed if Sally Field won as I thought she was pretty bad for the most part in Lincoln. I thought Amy Adams deserved it though.

-- That Bond tribute was so dumb, but that Goldfinger rendition was wonderful. Adele was also great

-- Was confused at all the love Chicago got until I saw that people who worked on that film worked on this year's show. Still, Chicago was one of the weaker Best Picture winners over the past decade

-- I loved SLP, so I offer no complaints on Lawrence winning Best Actress. But again, I would have been fine with any of the other nominees winning (Haven't seen The Impossible though).

-- Jean Dujardin is so dreamy

-- Daniel Day Lewis winning was the surest bet of the night, but he was good in Lincoln. I would have liked to see Phoenix win, but I knew it was never gonna happen.

-- Seeing Meryl Streep reminded me of how bad The Iron Lady was. Rooney Mara should have won.

-- Argo was a perfectly acceptable choice for Best Movie. I preferred some of the other nominees, but I still thought Argo was excellent. Also, this was one of the best group of nominated films I have seen.

So how damaging will the boob song be for Seth Macfarlane? Seems a stupid thing to have done, especially at the Oscars.

KzU809q.gif

Even when displeased, she still manages to look stunning.

LQX

Calling her a cunt? How can anyone defend a joke like that about a 9 year old? Will she get the joke? I'm not even sure you can call other Gaffers that without getting banned.

naomi kind of has a shit agent. like all of her movies are awful when she's such a great actress. that audition scene in mulholland dr. alone pretty much demolishes most actor's careers.

Indeed. I hope she sees sense soon and changes agents. She's far good of an actresses to be continually overlooked.

I'm not overly upset Jennifer won, the bigger crime was Daniel Day Lewis winning over Joaquin Phoenix. Both delivered exceptional performances, but I found Joaquin's to be the more daring and worthy of recognition.

Reiko

Banned
So how damaging will the boob song be for Seth Macfarlane? Seems a stupid thing to have done, especially at the Oscars.

KzU809q.gif

Even when displeased, she still manages to look stunning.

Man... You just got worked by that skit.

If you've seen her in interviews... She's unhinged.

pantsmith

Did my best to see as many of the nominees as possible, and Zero Dark Thirty, which I didn't even want to think was Best Picture material (because I was hoping Django had a shot), was far and away the best film.

I know thats technically an opinion, but if The Hurt Locker won, ZDT should have too because it was the better film of the two. Almost as bad as Brave beating out any of those other films it was up against.

JABEE

Calling her a cunt? How can anyone defend a joke like that about a 9 year old? Will she get the joke? I'm not even sure you can call other Gaffers that without getting banned.

They weren't calling her that. The Onion is a fictional news site that writes absurd articles that are often the opposite of how the writer of the piece of satire truly feels. It crossed a line, and they've crossed lines before. The joke wasn't at her expense. It was at the expense of the media culture that tears down every piece of objectified meat that walks down the red carpet.

Merino

Just woke-up and looked at the winners list.
Overall pretty dissappointing with some obvious snubs in there.

Ang Lee for Director? (clearly just because they forgot to nominate Quentin and Affleck).
The Master not winning any oscar when it was the obvious best film of 2012. Though I understand Hoffman loosing out to Waltz it's a shame that Phoenix didn't win for his masterfull performance. Lawrence winning for a ok-ish role over a very moving performance by Watts.
Brave proving Pixar doesn't even need to make a good movie to be awarded.

Oscars, mweh...

Trey

I don't think it was a bad joke. The absurdity of calling the most innocent and precious person in the room that is the joke. It's the exact opposite of the media's perception of her. Competitors in those categories probably hate their opponents. It's playing on the notion that someone like Jessica Chastain is in reality probably cussing out the thought of someone beating her. The Onion makes a shit ton of really offensive jokes. The only reason there is backlash now is that it is a joke that involves a child nominated for an Academy Award.

No one has problems understanding the irony of The Onion when it is lambasting other Hollywood figures. That is the crux of the joke within the joke.

This is why there is nuance to joke telling. When you call yourself a satirist, you should know your limits. In fact, the limits are integral to the joke telling. There is nothing particularly funny about "hey, isn't this kid cute? Wouldn't it be a riot if we called her a cunt, because she's obviously not so, unlike her competition!" So it's a bad joke on those grounds.

No one is lambasting the Onion when they shit on other Hollywood figures because those Hollywood figures are grown adults, and/or have done things worth being made fun of.

In my opinion, this showing fails on two levels. The Onion agreed.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
They weren't calling her that. The Onion is a fictional news site that writes absurd articles that are often the opposite of how the writer of the piece of satire truly feels. It crossed a line, and they've crossed lines before. The joke wasn't at her expense. It was at the expense of the media culture that tears down every piece of objectified meat that walks down the red carpet.

It was clearly based in reality though. She definitely came off a little cocky/stuck up. The author almost certainly thought she was acting like a cunt. This was not some attempt at lampooning celebrity tear down culture.

effe

Banned
Ang Lee for Director? (clearly just because they forgot to nominate Quentin and Affleck).

i think you mean the academy apologizing for ignoring him for lust, caution/crouching tiger/brokeback maybe?

i'm not trying to imply that any of those were even good except for lust, caution.

JABEE

It was clearly based in reality though. She definitely came off a little cocky/stuck up. The author almost certainly thought she was acting like a cunt. This was not some attempt at lampooning celebrity tear down culture.
I don't agree with this characterization. If that was part of the formulation of this joke then I don't like it, but I don't see any reason to believe that was what the Onion was lampooning.

JABEE

This is why there is nuance to joke telling. When you call yourself a satirist, you should know your limits. In fact, the limits are integral to the joke telling. There is nothing particularly funny about "hey, isn't this kid cute? Wouldn't it be a riot if we called her a cunt, because she's obviously not so, unlike her competition!" So it's a bad joke on those grounds.

No one is lambasting the Onion when they shit on other Hollywood figures because those Hollywood figures are grown adults, and/or have done things worth being made fun of.

I get what you're saying, but I think the Onion's willingness to go over the line is what makes a lot of their pieces funny. I would like to know what the comedian was trying to convey. I have a gut-reaction to a lot of jokes like this that make me feel like they are wrong to say, but I like to determine the intention and message the comedian was trying to convey.

Your explanation is making me take sides with lazy joke, bad taste.

kingkitty

i think you mean the academy apologizing for ignoring him for lust, caution/crouching tiger/brokeback maybe?

i'm not trying to imply that any of those were even good except for lust, caution.

Ang Lee won for Brokeback. And just like Brokeback his Life of Pi film didn't win best picture.

Also that cunt joke by the Onion was hilarious, but horrrrible.

Lothar

Banned

Not a Gilbert Gottfried fan, I take it. Comedy with no limits is often times the funniest comedy. This is no exception. People getting offended by the Onion has me seriously laughing right now.

Trey

I get what you're saying, but I think the Onion's willingness to go over the line is what makes a lot of their pieces funny. I would like to know what the comedian was trying to convey. I have a gut-reaction to a lot of jokes like this that make me feel like they are wrong to say, but I like to determine the intention and message the comedian was trying to convey.

Your explanation is making me take sides with lazy joke, bad taste.

The problem in this particular case is that it was a tweet, so it could have only been a shock joke, especially with such an unknown subject. And the payoff just wasn't there.

You are right - the joke did make me think who the target audience was. Who would appreciate this joke? Upon reflection, I only identified an extremely niche, very apathetic crowd who watch the Oscar's to wretch and condemn celebrity worship and the "fakeness" of Hollywood.

That leaves a lot of other people to take issue with a joke that targets a child who is innocent in the eyes of the public. Huge risk, very little reward.

I don't think whatever backlash comes from this will be that bad. For example, I saw some calls on twitter for the person (or people) responsible for the tweet to be fired. I doubt that it will happen. I personally hope it doesn't. In that kind of business, misses are to be expected.

Not a Gilbert Gottfried fan, I take it. Comedy with no limits is often times the funniest comedy. This is no exception. People getting offended by the Onion has me seriously laughing right now.

The thing with comedy is that it's extremely subjective, and a lot of folks' limits are some place before child slander. People know what to expect when they go to a raunchy comic's performance. The Onion's audience is much more general than that.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Comedy isn't offensive when it is funny. It is just funny. This wasn't particularly funny. It was lazy and base. They thought she was acting like a cunt. So they called her one. It was literally just an attempt to be shocking.

Say one thing about Seth McFarlane...he genuinely managed to get under Ben Affleck's skin with the "Benjamin/Gigli" thing.

Comedy isn't offensive when it is funny. It is just funny. This wasn't particularly funny. It was lazy and base. They thought she was acting like a cunt. So they called her one. It was literally just an attempt to be shocking.

They didn't think she was acting like a cunt. That's the joke.

Lothar

Banned

The Onion doesn't think anything they write. It's satire. They were poking fun at how the losers despise the winner and the competitiveness of the grown adults vs the child.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The Onion doesn't think anything they write. It's satire. They were poking fun at how the losers despise the winner and the competitiveness of the grown adults vs the child.

I really don't agree with you. If she wasn't snooty, if she was unassuming, I would agree with you. But her confidence level was almost certainly what the writer picked up on.

The Onion tweet is GOLD. I'm not surprised people went crazy because they couldn't understand that joke beyond their comprehension of 'OMG THE C word? A Child!? IDENTIFY YOURSELF ONION!'

Should have kept it online.

I really don't agree with you. If she wasn't snooty, if she was unassuming, I would agree with you. But her confidence level was almost certainly what the writer picked up on.

I think this general sentiment is what the Onion was trying to satirize, really. The idea that someone, somewhere, would hold the confidence levels of a 9-year old against her for the sake of making a shallow joke on twitter.

Bad target, bad execution - but I don't think there was any intent on shaming Wallis for appearing confident or sure of herself. Not in the slightest.

Basically - in an effort to call the Onion on the carpet for their misfire, you've made sure to identify yourself as a person who thinks Wallis was snooty and overconfident.

Which is probably what the Onion was trying to ridicule in the first place.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think this general sentiment is what the Onion was trying to satirize, really. The idea that someone, somewhere, would hold the confidence levels of a 9-year old against her for the sake of making a shallow joke on twitter.

Bad target, bad execution - but I don't think there was any intent on shaming Wallis for appearing confident or sure of herself. Not in the slightest.

Basically - in an effort to call the Onion on the carpet for their misfire, you've made sure to identify yourself as a person who thinks Wallis was snooty and overconfident.

Which is probably what the Onion was trying to ridicule in the first place.

I do think the source of our disagreement is the fact that I found her snotty and you guys didn't. I am not trying to hide that fact. But I still think the Onion joke was far more shallow and easy than you guys are giving them credit for.

And they absolutely should not have deleted the tweet.

Lothar

Banned

Then that would be completely unlike any joke they've ever told.

How many of these tweets do you think are 100% true statements of what they believe? https://twitter.com/TheOnion

"Wow, chills. Adele’s lyrics “Let the sky fall / We will stand tall” really make you think, don’t they?"

Do you think they really think Adele's lyrics are deep?

"Oscars Fashion Report: Kathryn Bigelow Stuns On Red Carpet Wearing Blood-Soaked Rags Osama Bin Laden Was Killed In"

Was Kathryn Bigelow wearing blood soaked rags?

DjRoomba

Banned
You guys are really overanalyzing the onion tweet. They were calling her a cunt for the irony/shock value, not cos she was acting 'cunty' as some of you are saying, I dont know why some of you are saying that.

Yes it is. Such an annoying film.

Couldnt stand that film. Though to be honest - the only three films i loved on the nominated lists were Django Unchained, Wreck it Ralph and Cloud Atlas. If i had my way Django would have won best screen play, Wreck it Ralph best animated feature, and cloud atlas everything else.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Then that would be completely unlike any joke they've ever told.

How many of these tweets do you think are 100% true statements of what they believe? https://twitter.com/TheOnion

"Wow, chills. Adele’s lyrics “Let the sky fall / We will stand tall” really make you think, don’t they?"

Do you think they really think Adele's lyrics are deep?

"Oscars Fashion Report: Kathryn Bigelow Stuns On Red Carpet Wearing Blood-Soaked Rags Osama Bin Laden Was Killed In"

Was Kathryn Bigelow wearing blood soaked rags?

I don't think they think she is a cunt. I think they were being hyperbolic for shock, not ironic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom