• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Why do people act as if he's done for without Quentin?

Because he played parts in masterpieces such as this
4073.jpg

shira

It's amazing that they've got her locked in for three more movies in a teen-girl targeted franchise. Everyone involved in that casting decision has to be patting themselves on the back right now.

They will surely figure a way to make the last movie into 2.

Alucard

Banned
To me- Argo had zero character or emotional pull. The other two films may have been more flawed- tho I'd strongly disagree given the back half of Argo- but definitely had way more heart.

In regards to character building, Argo definitely wasn't that strong. It's more about a bunch of everyday people finding themselves in an extraordinary situation, and just doing their best to get through it. I think it definitely had emotional pull, though. It was there in any scene involving the hostages. You wanted them to get out.

I'm also a Star Wars nerd, so Argo touched an entertainment sweet spot for me with the sci-fi stuff...though the scene with the actors reading and the scenes in Iran being mixed in worked beautifully. Really creative stuff. Don't think I've seen that kind of juxtaposition in a film before.

Brinbe

To the person who said that "the other 8 films nominated will be remembered more than Argo," you have got to be kidding yourself. Do you think anyone will remember Beasts of the Southern Wild 5 years from now? I sure don't. However, I do think people will talk about the controversial history-twisting suspense thriller from Ben Affleck. As well they should. As a film, it's a fantastic ride. As a historical document, it's one-sided and inaccurate. As a piece of pop culture, it's absolutely relevant and worthy of discourse.

I didn't explicitly mean all of them, I meant most of them. And I stand by it. For various reasons, compared to Django, Lincoln, ZDT, Life of Pi (hell, even Amour/Beasts/Les Mis), personally, Argo is p. forgettable just like SLP is. Not that I didn't like the latter two, I do.

jtb

Banned
Because he played parts in masterpieces such as this
4073.jpg

1) gotta pay the bills, man.
2) that was directed by the guy who directed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. (not saying it was good or anyhting, just a fun fact) could've been good, even if it wasn't.

not like Waltz was the reason the movie was shit, anyways.

tino

Banned
Haha "Brave" won best animation? Talk about winners that's dumber than Argo fuck yourself.

I am glad Sugar Man won, just saying.

if anything, Lawrence's career is destined to tank post-Oscar, Adrien Brody-style.

Brody didn't really even have a career like Lawrence's before The Pianist. One might argue he doesn't really have one now. Not that I think it matters much to him, he seems very picky about his roles.

Ithil

HQJyzZ5.jpg

the reason I brought it up was that Halle demanded more money/screen time after she won her award

I'm sure after the Hunger Games' BO numbers, they rushed to beef up Lawrence's role in a major way for any X-Men sequels, by themselves. I don't think Halle Berry really ever had all that much star power, despite her prominence. It seems like no one is a bigger mark for her than Halle Berry.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i hope deakins sets the building on fire and sends every one of those bought tasteless fucks to their expensive private graves.

Alucard

Banned
For those who don't know about the Iranian hostage crisis and why many people are pissed at Argo's depiction of it, here's why:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/22/argo-shamefully-re-writes-canadian-history

Basically, Canada was responsible for the majority of the operation. They made the passports. They housed the hostages. They planned almost everything and put themselves in the line of fire when they didn't have to. Argo makes it seem like the CIA did everything. That's its biggest sin.

It's still a great suspense thriller, but it does twist history quite a bit.

Deakins is the Susan Lucci of Cinematographers. Damn.

Last second switched out best adapted screenplay to Life of Pi from Argo, and went with Skyfall for cinematography (it was a LOCK! I was SURE!) - and those two choices prevented me from winning the pool. 2nd place. So bitter.

Called Ang Lee, though.

And for real, Jennifer Lawrence needs to just wear some fucking PANTS to award shows from now on. Jesus.

Akahige

Kelly Rowland was ready to go down on Jamie Foxx while he was standing next to his daughter during the red carpet interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom