• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
I'm sure after the Hunger Games' BO numbers, they rushed to beef up Lawrence's role in a major way for any X-Men sequels, by themselves. I don't think Halle Berry really ever had all that much star power, despite her prominence. It seems like no one is a bigger mark for her than Halle Berry.

IMO Jennifer Lawrence was going to be one of the first female star to carry a blockbuster just by her own star power since Julia Roberts.

Winner the Oscar can only weaken her chance to be a real action star. Although she probably doesn't care about being a superstar anyway. I am fine either way. I rather see more SLP type roles than Hunger Game type roles.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
For those who don't know about the Iranian hostage crisis and why many people are pissed at Argo's depiction of it, here's why:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/22/argo-shamefully-re-writes-canadian-history

Basically, Canada was responsible for the majority of the operation. They made the passports. They housed the hostages. They planned almost everything and put themselves in the line of fire when they didn't have to. Argo makes it seem like the CIA did everything. That's its biggest sin.

It's still a great suspense thriller, but it does twist history quite a bit.

Hey, Ben thanked Canada.

nick nacc

Banned
Thats the most I've enjoyed the oscars in awhile. Fun show, Seth did a good job.

He was a good choice. Talented in singing and dancing. "We saw your boobs" was amazing. And "this is to the losers" was also perfect. Ps I don't like family guy. BUT I like American dad.

Quick

Banned
Because when has a political figure ever been in the award show? It felt incredibly forced, awkward, and out of place.

Felt pretty half-assed, especially for something like Best Picture.

Not to say I don't appreciate the effort, but I felt like she should've either made an appearance in person, or she didn't do it at all.

Akahige

I'm not bothered by the use of the c-word in general but it's a little fucked up to call a 9 year old that, even in the context of a joke.

I was basically offline from 3pm til now, and yeah, I just found out that The Onion is basically, so far as the internet is concerned, THE story of the Oscars.

The satirical intent of their tweet is pretty obvious.

The choice of target was poorly thought out. I mean, I get WHY - the punchline hits harder if you pick the most innocent person at the event. But it's a gag that probably works best in a closed room with friends who understand what the fuck you're doing, and not a gag that works best wide open, through a megaphone, pointed at THE WORLD.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I was basically offline from 3pm til now, and yeah, I just found out that The Onion is basically, so far as the internet is concerned, THE story of the Oscars.

The choice of target was poorly thought out. I mean, I get WHY - the punchline hits harder if you pick the most innocent person at the event. But it's a gag that probably works best in a closed room with friends who understand what the fuck you're doing, and not a gag that works best wide open, through a megaphone, pointed at THE WORLD.

i like to think it was just for me, and i don't even use twitter.

thanks guys.

Salsa

The choice of target was poorly thought out. I mean, I get WHY - the punchline hits harder if you pick the most innocent person at the event.

I think the WHY is because she seemed confident and not afraid to show it. She had a bit of an adorable ego.

At least I think that's where the gag came from

overcast

So happy that Lee won director and Pi won cinematography. Tarantino and Waltz won which is great (although PSH was the best supporting actor, I like waltz more). Argo shouldn't have won honestly, but it was better than SLP (haven't seen Lincoln or ZDT).

As a Brave defender, how the fuck did it beat Paranorman and Wreck it Ralph?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Because when has a political figure ever been in the award show? It felt incredibly forced, awkward, and out of place.

when the installation of your head of state becomes a network filler variety hour, these things should be expected.

No Dark Knight Rises mentions at all, huh. Even Prometheus got a mention.

Nicolas%20Cage%20trying%20not%20to%20laugh.gif

So happy that Lee won director and Pi won cinematography. Tarantino and Waltz won which is great (although PSH was the best supporting actor, I like waltz more). Argo shouldn't have won honestly, but it was better than SLP (haven't seen Lincoln or ZDT).

As a Brave defender, how the fuck did it beat Paranorman and Wreck it Ralph?

Nope.

Nope, nope, nope. SLP is far superior from a storytelling perspective.

I think the WHY is because she seemed confident and not afraid to show it. She had a bit of an adorable ego.

At least I think that's where the gag came from

Nah, I think that's where the backlash is coming from. The Onion's mistake was thinking people would recognize that the superficiality that goes hand in hand with The Oscars (that dress is terrible, that actress looks beat, this speech is corny, shut up and get to th next award) was the focus of the joke, and the focus would be narrowed even further by picking a 9 year old girl.

Instead, I think what happened is people went "you can't call a 9-year-old that" and missed the thrust of the joke, or noted that confidence you're mentioning, and actually FACTORED IT IN.

Trey

It was a bad joke, plain and simple. The Onion should be ashamed of that if nothing else.

Jacob

It was a bad joke, plain and simple. The Onion should be ashamed of that if nothing else.

I don't think it was a good joke either, but the only part that offends me is the self-righteous reactions (I don't mean not yours, more like the stuff quoted by THR).

overcast

Nope.

Nope, nope, nope. SLP is far superior from a storytelling perspective.
SLP is pretty by the numbers as far as storytelling. It's handled well though, with some good performances. Both movies were very unspectacular to me.

For those who have seen Les Mis (I have not) did Hathaway deserve the award that much?

SLP is pretty by the numbers as far as storytelling. It's handled well though, with some good performances. Both movies were very unspectacular to me.

For those who have seen Les Mis (I have not) did Hathaway deserve the award that much?

Nope, her role was short so there wasn't much to criticize.

bndadm

She has a very long solo (3-4 minutes maybe?) that seemed to me to be one continuous shot. Combine that with the emotions she had to sell while singing it (dealing with her first 'client'), I could understand the nomination. But she's surprisingly only in the film for about 15-20 minutes all-told.

JABEE

I don't think it was a bad joke. The absurdity of calling the most innocent and precious person in the room that is the joke. It's the exact opposite of the media's perception of her. Competitors in those categories probably hate their opponents. It's playing on the notion that someone like Jessica Chastain is in reality probably cussing out the thought of someone beating her. The Onion makes a shit ton of really offensive jokes. The only reason there is backlash now is that it is a joke that involves a child nominated for an Academy Award.

No one has problems understanding the irony of The Onion when it is lambasting other Hollywood figures. That is the crux of the joke within the joke.

Very disappointed to see Joaquin Phoenix overlooked for his performance in The Master. As good as Daniel Day Lewis was in Lincoln, Joaquin Phoenix was an acting powerhouse leagues ahead in The Master.

Also disappointed to see Jennifer Lawrence win ahead of Naomi Watts. Both are great actresses, but Naomi delivered the better performance and to be brutally honest, Jennifer's performance from Silver Linings Playbook was not worthy of an oscar nomination. Her performance in Winters Bone however, that was oscar worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom