• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So like, its bad because Tarantino was having a blast making his desired film and genre, and you can clearly see that on the screen?

He mentions that if this was Tarantino's first movie then he would have given it more consideration, but its pretty much the 8th time he has made this movie.

I think its a broad stroke statement by the voter but I agree with the gist of it.

tino

Banned
Other filmakers legitimately seem to hate Quentin Tarantino. I wonder how many other times the academy has not recognized films because the people who worked on them were arrogant or full of themselves?

I do agree that Cristoph Waltz should have been nominated for best actor, not supporting though.

It goes both ways. In the 90s Pulp Fiction was the most inmitated movie.

Ripclawe

Banned
The telecast’s opening number lasts a full 15 minutes in what is the prelude to the most music-filled Academy Awards ever.

But the telecast’s producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron have musicals on their resumes so they’ve planned a tribute to the movie musicals of the past decade, including their own Best Picture winner Chicago featuring an on-stage reunion of Catherine Zeta Jones, Renee Zellweger, Queen Latifah and Richard Gere. Jennifer Hudson will reprise Dreamgirls, and odds are good that Barbra Streisand will sing The Way We Were as a tribute to the late Marvin Hamlisch.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/lon...-history-yawnfest-instead-of-usual-snorefest/

No one asked for this...

Wilbur

Banned
My predictions. Only doing ones I've seen all or the majority of.

Best Picture
Who will win: Argo
Who should win: Django Unchained
Who should have been nominated: Killing Them Softly or Moonrise Kingdom

Best Actor
Who will win: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Who should win: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Who should have been nominated: Denis Lavant, Holy Motors or Mads Mikkelsen, The Hunt

Best Actress
Who will win: Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Who should win: Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Who should have been nominated: Michelle Williams, Take This Waltz or Kara Hayward, Moonrise Kingdom

Best Supporting Actor
Who will win: Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained
Who should win: Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Who should have been nominated: Leonardo DiCaprio, Django Unchained or Scoot McNairy, Killing Them Softly

Best Supporting Actress
Who will win: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Who should win: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Who should have been nominated: Juno Temple, Killer Joe

Best Original Song
Who will win: "Skyfall", Skyfall
Who should win: "Skyfall", Skyfall
Who should have been nominated: “Ancora Qui”, Django Unchained

Best Animated Feature Film
Who will win: Wreck-It Ralph
Who should win: Frankenweenie
Who should have been nominated: n/a

Best Foreign Language Film
Who will win: Amour
Who should win: Amour
Who should have been nominated: Holy Motors

Best Director
Who will win: Michael Haneke, Amour
Who should win: Ang Lee, Life Of Pi
Who should have been nominated: Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained or Andrew Dominik, Killing Them Softly

Best Original Screenplay
Who will win: Mark Boal, Zero Dark Thirty
Who should win: Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained
Who should have been nominated: Paul Thomas Anderson, The Master or Leos Carax, Holy Motors

Best Adapted Screenplay
Who will win: Tony Kushner, Lincoln
Who should win: Tony Kushner, Lincoln
Who should have been nominated: Andrew Dominik, Killing Them Softly

Best Cinematography
Who will win: Claudio Miranda, Life Of Pi
Who should win: Roger Deakins, Skyfall
Who should have been nominated: Robert Yeoman, Moonrise Kingdom

Best Costume Design
Who will win: Les Misérables
Who should win: Anna Karenina
Who should have been nominated: Django Unchained

Documentary Feature
Who will win: Searching For Sugar Man
Who should win: Searching For Sugar Man
Who should have been nominated: The Imposter

Film Editing
Who will win: William Goldenberg, Argo
Who should win: Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg, Zero Dark Thirty
Who should have been nominated: John Paul Horstmann and Brian A. Kates, Killing Them Softly

Makeup and Hairstyling
Who will win: Les Miserables
Who should win: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Who should have been nominated: Lincoln

Best Original Score
Who will win: Mychael Danna, Life Of Pi
Who should win: Thomas Newman, Skyfall
Who should have been nominated: Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, West Of Memphis or Hans Zimmer, The Dark Knight Rises (fuck the haters)

Best Production Design
Who should win: Lincoln

Best Sound Editing
Who will win: Argo
Who should win: Zero Dark Thirty

Best Sound Mixing
Who should win: Les Misérables

Best Visual Effects
Who will win: Life Of Pi
Who should win: Life Of Pi

persongr

Best Actor
Who will win: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Who should win: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Who should have been nominated: Denis Lavant, Holy Motors or Mads Mikkelsen, The Hunt

Yes, both Lavant and Scob gave superb performances in Holy Motors. Not too surpised that it wasn't nominated for the Oscars though - I was actually surprised that Amour grabbed a nomination for Best Picture.

Eidan

I haven't been following the award season. At what point did Argo become front runner for Best Picture instead of SLP or Lincoln?

Wilbur

Banned
Yes, both Lavant and Scob gave superb performances in Holy Motors. Not too surpised that it wasn't nominated for the Oscars though - I was actually surprised that Amour grabbed a nomination for Best Picture.

Not surprised the film wasn't nominated but Lavant gave an absolutely mesmerising performance that is probably better than everyone else on the list. DDL, Washington and Phoenix were all really fantastic though, Cooper was great and Jackman was pretty good.

I haven't been following the award season. At what point did Argo become front runner for Best Picture instead of SLP or Lincoln?

When it won the Globe, the Bafta and every major guild basically.

persongr

Not surprised the film wasn't nominated but Lavant gave an absolutely mesmerising performance that is probably better than everyone else on the list. DDL, Washington and Phoenix were all really fantastic though, Cooper was great and Jackman was pretty good.

Yes, I totally agree. Between DDL and Phoenix though, I'd prefer Phoenix to win. If it weren't for him (and Hoffman, but to a lesser degree), The Master would have been a rather dry experience.

The Master is the most snubbed movie this year in my opinion. No noms for best pic, best director, screenplay.

forreal. meanwhile argo got nominated for so much.

the only award i'd give it is "achievement in competency" what a dull and by the numbers film.

madkiller

Preditions

Picture: Argo
Actor: DDL
Actress: Emmanuelle Riva
S. Actor: Tommy Lee Jones
S. Actress: Anne Hathaway
Director: Ang Lee
O. Screenplay: Amour
A. Screenplay: Lincoln
Foreign Language: Amour
Cinematography: Skyfall
Film Editing: Argo
Costumes: Anna Karenina
Production: Les Misérables
Sound Mixing: Argo
Sound Editing: Skyfall
Original Song: Skyfall
Makeup: Les Misérables
Documentary: Searching for sugar man
Animation: Wreck it ralph

Good, thanks!

PS/edit: Θα το δεις μέσω streaming;

Ναι, ολο και καποιο λινκ θα ποσταρουν εδω.

t-ramp

The time listed in the OP is for the red carpet stuff, right? I was worried I'd miss the first half-hourish due to work, but apparently the actual show starts an hour and a half later, right?

Tucah

you speak so well
The time listed in the OP is for the red carpet stuff, right? I was worried I'd miss the first half-hourish due to work, but apparently the actual show starts an hour and a half later, right?

Yep, show starts at 8:30 EST/5:30 PST.

WJD

What time will this finish in GMT? Need to know whether it's worth staying up for with Uni in the morning.

Ridley327

best supporting actress for marion cotillard

talia_dies.gif

The Master is the most snubbed movie this year in my opinion. No noms for best pic, best director, screenplay.

I'm surprised The Master has supporters. Besides the acting, cinematography and direction. It was awful.
Maybe cause I was expecting something of the quality of There Will be Blood. Since 2007 I've been waiting and The Master was a complete letdown for me.
The score was good too though.

Gui_PT

Is this going to be livestreamed somewhere?

They always have stupid portuguese commentators ruining the ceremony

I'll be honest, I usually skip the oscars cuz they suck balls but I'm 90% tuning in this time for Seth MacFarlane. He's a funny dude who can sing. Of course I still have to watch Walking Dead, Girls, and Enlightened so I'll likely only watch his opening.

persongr

What time will this finish in GMT? Need to know whether it's worth staying up for with Uni in the morning.

EST is UTC-5, and GMT is UTC+0. Since the actual show starts at 8:30pm EST and will last definitely for 3 hours, I think around 4:30am-5am GMT would be a safe bet.

newjeruse

I'm surprised The Master has supporters. Besides the acting, cinematography and direction. It was awful.
Maybe cause I was expecting something of the quality of There Will be Blood. Since 2007 I've been waiting and The Master was a complete letdown for me.
The score was good too though.
So you enjoyed the acting, cinematography, direction, and score, but everything else was awful? Weird.

I agree. The Master and Moonrise Kingdom got snubbed pretty hard in my eyes. The Master should absolutely be up for Best Picture given some of the other nominees.

So you enjoyed the acting, cinematography, direction, and score, but everything else was awful? Weird.

If by weird, you mean "makes complete and total sense cuz duh," then yes, that's weird.

jtb

Banned

A film can be will made and yet still not work. I don't know if I'd go so far with the Master, but I certainly found it underwhelming compared to PTA's other movies.

newjeruse

A film can be will made and yet still not work. I don't know if I'd go so far with the Master, but I certainly found it underwhelming compared to PTA's other movies.
I understand that in theory, but I also think it's hard to enjoy so many key components of a film and still find it awful. I tried to think of a film that I held in a similar light and couldn't. Maybe I'm focusing on the word 'awful' too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom