• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
My predictions:

Best Picture: Argo
Best Directing: Steven Spielberg for Lincoln
Actor in a Leading Role: Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln
Actress in a Leading Role: Emmanuelle Riva for Amour
Actor in a Supporting Role: Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained
Actress in a Supporting Role: Anne Hathaway for Les Miserables
Animated Feature Film: Brave
Original Screenplay: Amour, Michael Haneke
Adapted Screenplay: Argo, Chris Terrio
Foreign-Language Film: Amour
Original Score: Lincoln
Original Song: Skyfall
Production Design: Anna Karenina
Cinematography: Skyfall
Costume Design: Anna Karenina
Documentary Feature: Searching for a Sugar Man
Documentary Short Subject: Open Heart
Film Editing: Argo
Makeup & Hairstyling: Les Misérables
Animated Short Film: Paperman
Live-Action Short Film: Asad
Sound Editing: Argo
Sound Mixing: Les Misérables
Visual Effects: Life of Pi

Great movie, can't believe he was snubbed as well

The movie is pretty standard, but it has a strong emotional center thanks to Hawkes. He should have gotten in, but I gotta give props to the Academy for recognizing Denzel -- he was fantastic in Flight. And at least they got Joaquin in there. Can't be too upset.

_Isaac

So can somebody explain to me how someone can vote in the Directing category? How would you know if that individual was a good director? You don't know. You weren't there. Maybe he was a poor leader, and the cast and crew had to do everything on their own. Do I have this category all wrong?

So can somebody explain to me how someone can vote in the Directing category? How would you know if that individual was a good director? You don't know. You weren't there. Maybe he was a poor leader, and the cast and crew had to do everything on their own. Do I have this category all wrong?

Wouldn't happen. If the director can't do his job properly - especially on this level, then production would just likely be shut down or the director replaced.

_Isaac

Wouldn't happen. If the director can't do his job properly - especially on this level, then production would just likely be shut down or the director replaced.

So if all the pieces of a movie fell together, that's basically enough of an indication that this individual is a good director? Is it just another form of "Best Picture?"

Isn't the directing award voted on by directors branch only?

I always thought the branches were in charge of the nominees, but then everybody in the Academy votes for the winner.

So if all the pieces of a movie fell together, that's basically enough of an indication that this individual is a good director?

What? No. If the picture isn't good, then the director likely lacks an interesting vision. You can be a bad director and still be a professional director.

Who's the twitter dude that everyone loves to quote that's super funny? I need to follow him before this thing kicks off.

P.S. No way Argo wins BP. Such a yawner.

farnham

Banned
All I care about

Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained

this guy is awesome and Im happy he doesnt have to play the creepy pedophile on german/austrian TV anymore.

I found Django Unchained to be pretty meh but Waltz kinda saved the movie.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman deserves best supporting. And I don't normally like PSH. Waltz already won one Oscar for playing Hans Landa, he shouldn't get another for the same role.

MIMIC

Banned
Never got a chance to see Django, Lincoln or Amour (at least before the big night). Saw everything else, though.

I wish they'd go back to just 5 movies. That's too much to watch >_<

Wilbur

Banned
Phillip Seymour Hoffman deserves best supporting. And I don't normally like PSH. Waltz already won one Oscar for playing Hans Landa, he shouldn't get another for the same role.

While I disagree with you about them being the same role - I think there's nuances that are a tad hidden by Waltz's speaking patterns and whatnot - PSH should win. And I do normally like him. He's an incredible actor who arguably should have a few Oscars based on merit.

While I disagree with you about them being the same role - I think there's nuances that are a tad hidden by Waltz's speaking patterns and whatnot - PSH should win. And I do normally like him. He's an incredible actor who arguably should have a few Oscars based on merit.

I disagree. Waltz was absolutely fantastic in Carnage and it was completely different from his performance in Basterds.

Platy

Anyone have a link for a place that will stream ?

The local tv channel is known to fuck up the broadcast =/

_Isaac

My predictions. Only doing ones I've seen all or the majority of.

Is there a prediction thread out there? Anyway, I like your format. I'm stealing it. :p

Best Picture
Who will win: Argo
Who should win: Silver Linings Playbook
Who should have been nominated: The Master

Best Actor
Who will win: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Who should win: Bradley Cooper for Silver Linings Playbook
Who should have been nominated: Jean&#8209;Louis Trintignant for Amour

Best Actress
Who will win: Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Who should win: Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Who should have been nominated: I'm good.

Best Supporting Actor
Who will win: Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained
Who should win: Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Who should have been nominated: Leonardo DiCaprio for Django Unchained, Samuel L. Jackson for Django Unchained, or Matthew McConaughey for Magic Mike

Best Supporting Actress
Who will win: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Who should win: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables

Best Original Song
Who will win: "Skyfall", Skyfall
Who should win: "Skyfall", Skyfall
Who should have been nominated: Bad year for music.

Best Animated Feature Film
Who will win: Brave
Who should win: ParaNorman or Wreck-It-Ralph
Who should have been nominated: n/a

Best Foreign Language Film
Who will win: Amour
Who should win: Amour I guess. I haven't seen many of these
Who should have been nominated: lol

Best Director
Who will win: Steven Spielberg for Lincoln
Who should win: David O. Russell for Silver Linings Playbook (I guess. I'm still confused about this category)
Who should have been nominated: Quentin Tarantino for Django Unchained or Kathryn Bigelow for Zero Dark Thirty

Best Original Screenplay
Who will win: Quentin Tarantino for Django Unchained
Who should win: Quentin Tarantino for Django Unchained or Mark Boal for Zero Dark Thirty
Who should have been nominated: Paul Thomas Anderson for The Master

Best Adapted Screenplay
Who will win: Chris Terrio for Argo
Who should win: David O. Russell for Silver Linings Playbook
Who should have been nominated: Can't think of anything right now.

Best Cinematography
Who will win: Claudio Miranda for Life Of Pi
Who should win: Roger Deakins for Skyfall
Who should have been nominated: Mihai Malaimare Jr. for The Master

Best Costume Design
Who will win: Anna Karenina
Who should win: Snow White and the Huntsman I guess.
Who should have been nominated: Django Unchained

Documentary Feature
Who will win: Searching For Sugar Man
Who should win: As long as it's not How to Survive a Plague
Who should have been nominated: No idea.

Film Editing
Who will win: William Goldenberg for Argo
Who should win: Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg for Zero Dark Thirty
Who should have been nominated: Cloud Atlas people. :p

Makeup and Hairstyling
Who will win: Les Miserables
Who should win: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey or Les Miserables
Who should have been nominated: Lincoln

Best Original Score
Who will win: Mychael Danna for Life Of Pi
Who should win: Mychael Danna for Life Of Pi
Who should have been nominated: Jon Brion for ParaNorman or Dan Romer and Benh Zeitlin for Beasts of the Southern Wild

Best Production Design
Who will win: Life of Pi
Who should win: Good with all of them.
Who should have been nominated: Django Unchained

Best Sound Editing
Who will win: Life of Pi
Who should win: Life of Pi
Who should have been nominated: No se.

Best Sound Mixing
Who will win: Les Misérables
Who should win: Les Misérables
Who should have been nominated: Dunno

Best Visual Effects
Who will win: Life Of Pi
Who should win: Prometheus (lol)

Documentary Short
Who will win: Open Heart (just guessing here)
Who should win: Dunno.
Who should have been nominated: Dunno.

Short Film Live Action
Who will win: Asad (Just a guess)
Who should win: No idea.
Who should have been nominated: Heh.

Short Film Animated
Who will win: Paperman
Who should win: Paperman
Who should have been nominated: La Luna (Maybe not eligible)

Wilbur

Banned
I disagree. Waltz was absolutely fantastic in Carnage and it was completely different from his performance in Basterds.

Was about to edit my post to say coupled with the Tarantino dialogue, but meh. I think there's similarities, but its different enough to warrant the acclaim he's getting. He was superb in Carnage though, you're right.

_Isaac

The major categories are voted upon by their respective branches, with the exception of the Best Picture, which is voted on by everyone.

I believe that's incorrect according to this.

"Members from each of the branches vote to determine the nominees in their respective categories – actors nominate actors, film editors nominated film editors, etc. However within the Animated Feature Film and Foreign Language Film categories, nominations are selected by vote of multi-branch screening committees. All voting members are eligible to select the Best Picture nominees."

and then...

"The Academy’s entire active membership is eligible to select Oscar winners in all categories, although in five – Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, and Foreign Language Film – members can vote only after attesting they have seen all of the nominated films in those categories."

In case you want to know the timeline of the ceremony

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
5:45:09 PT
ANIMATED SHORT FILM
5:54:06 PT
ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
5:56:18 PT
CINEMATOGRAPHY
6:05:13 PT
VISUAL EFFECTS
6:07:43 PT
COSTUME DESIGN
6:14:53 PT
MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
6:17:14 PT
LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
6:30:40 PT
DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
6:32:59 PT
DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
6:41:32 PT
FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
6:48:07 PT
SOUND MIXING
7:08:52 PT
SOUND EDITING
7:14:17 PT
ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
7:19:12 PT
FILM EDITING
7:31:00 PT
PRODUCTION DESIGN
7:47:02 PT
INTRO IN MEMORIAM
7:56:45 PT
IN MEMORIAM PACKAGE & PERFORMANCE
8:00:15 PT
ORIGINAL SCORE
8:08:13 PT
ORIGINAL SONG
8:17:16 PT
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
8:22:42 PT
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
8:25:16 PT
DIRECTING
8:32:33 PT
ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
8:39:57 PT
ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
8:46:29 PT
BEST PICTURE
8:53:29 PT

Wilbur

Banned
In case you want to know the timeline of the ceremony

I know they can't just start off with the ones no one cares about because they'll lose viewing figures, but it would be nice to have all the major 7 saved for the end. Oh well.

Stream by the way? I'm outside USA and haven't renewed my Sky movies subscription lulz

I know they can't just start off with the ones no one cares about because they'll lose viewing figures, but it would be nice to have all the major 7 saved for the end. Oh well.

Supp. Actor is a total mistery and should really be put late into the ceremony. I'm ok with the rest.

I hate that they're putting Best Actor behind Best Picture now (they did it last year). Best Director is the second most important award and should be announced just before best film.

harSon

Banned
I'm surprised Samuel L Jackson didn't get nominated. Not only did he give the best performance in Django Unchained by far, but playing a slave or servant used to be a shoe in for at least a nomination.

Am I alone in thinking Hathaway shouldn't win? Over the top kind of annoying performance. It was like she was forced to make every face and sound possible during her rendition of I Dreamed a Dream so the audience new it was live.

I preferred Amy Adams.

Am I alone in thinking Hathaway shouldn't win? Over the top kind of annoying performance. It was like she was forced to make every face and sound possible during her rendition of I Dreamed a Dream so the audience new it was live.

I preferred Amy Adams.

Amy Adams barely did anything in The Master. Hathaway in Les Mis was some of the best acting ever.

Most likely. Anne hit that performance out of the fucking park and turned me into a bawling mess in the cinema.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom