• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunBR

La la Land was extremely overrated and it seems like it has a good chance of winning. Historically they've snubbed all the films that have been proven to be much better in hindsight. Why do people still care for these I have no idea.

It's the same reason why The Artist won a few years ago
A big homage to the old era

TaterTots

Banned
Only movies I've seen in Best Picture are Fences and Arrival. Out of those two I'd give it to Fences. Musicals never do it for me and I've yet to see Hacksaw.

Bronx-Man

Banned
While we're getting all of our hot takes out the way...

I'm gonna be honest, as someone that loves Laika, I thought Kubo and the Two Strings was just alright. Still think ParaNorman is their best work.

WHICH THEY SHOULD'VE WON THE DAMN OSCAR FOR.

HardRojo

Is it possible for me to watch this in English on the Internet outside the US? All my channel dub over the feed and it's fucking annoying, no way to change the audio so that only the original feed is heard :(

~Kinggi~

Banned
Id be surprised if La La didnt win honestly. If you all learned the Argo lesson, Oscars love movies about Hollywood. La La was hollywood everywhere.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I hope Zootopia (or Kubo) wins best animated film.

Please tell me that trash Finding Dory isn't nominated.

Sanjuro

There is some truth that la la land appeals more to the Judges than a gay black kid growing up through poverty.

Moonlight needed a bit more consistent acting for me. Some of the performers bottom-lined the movie for a bit.

I disagree though. Depends on the voters ultimately, but the theme of Moonlight I don't think was lost on them.

Icolin

Banned
nLJTPzF.gif

If these sorts of posts are popping up now, imagine what'll happen if it sweeps.

I'll be there to defend it.

Raguel

Christ these ABC on-the-carpet reporters are awful. You can tell none if the actors wanted to talk to them. They're all so cringe inducing

TheFlow

Banned
Moonlight needed a bit more consistent acting for me. Some of the performers bottom-lined the movie for a bit.

I disagree though. Depends on the voters ultimately, but the theme of Moonlight I don't think was lost on them.
La la land had a weaker supporting cast and plot. Then the songs were so so after the first half.

Visual stunning movie though

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Zootopia has 97% of chances of winning (Kubo has 3%, the rest 0)

And yes, Dory wasn't nominated

Oh thank goodness.

Wait... is Moana nominated? That was great too but Zootopia was nicer looking and had a better (more relevant) message.

Y'know, usually I disagree with your opinions, but I agree with you on this. I loved Finding Nemo, but Finding Dory was grating garbage.

Honestly, I hated Finding Dory. I think it's even worse than Cars 2, my biggest disappointment from Pixar. They used to be so good.

Sanjuro

Christ these ABC on-the-carpet reporters are awful. You can tell none if the actors wanted to talk to them. They're all so cringe inducing

What are you talking about? This is exactly what they expect and want.

La la land had a weaker supporting cast and plot. Then the songs were so so after the first half.

Visual stunning movie though

La La Land didn't really have a supporting cast. It was driven between the two leads.

Moonlight had a ton of bad actors sprinkled throughout. Bread was better than the meat.

duckroll

Y'know, usually I disagree with your opinions, but I agree with you on this. I loved Finding Nemo, but Finding Dory was grating garbage.

Does anyone actually like Finding Dory for real? Like, like-like, and not I-didnt-hate-it-like. It's a completely forgettable by the book kids' film with no lasting value.

I completely agree with you, but a fair amount of others I know in the business do not. They didn't like how dark it is.

Oh yeah I'm fully expecting Arrival to be snubbed, hell I'm surprised a sci-fi movie managed to get as many nominations as it has, but it's still gonna be super disappointing

Does anyone actually like Finding Dory for real? Like, like-like, and not I-didnt-hate-it-like. It's a completely forgettable by the book kids' film with no lasting value.

it was okay. i loved the seals voiced by dominic west and idris elba.

not as good as zootopia. but i'm kinda rooting against both films (assuming dory is also nominated).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom