• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjp2417

Banned
boring white people singing about their problems in LA with autotune:
"I can't open my jazz club!"
"Nobody chooses me in my auditions! Guess I have to go back to school or go back to live with mom and dad!"

boohoo.

black women put people into space.

And I'm glad Moonlight got best picture.

The LLL hype train is ridiculous.

This is film criticism as "woke" tweets. I guess this is what happens when you gut education funding for the arts.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I need to know the story of the person that fucked this up

08Ym7Ge.jpg

:lol

Brinbe

Really can't understand how people can undersell Moonlight after seeing it. Especially compared to La La Land... Talking about art, Moonlight IS ART. Heartless ghouls on GAF

Lothars

I feel like I can't even enjoy it.

I wanted Moonlight to win, but fuccccccccck, they brought the La La Land crew onstage for the biggest win of the night and took it away.
Yeah it's a pretty shitty thing to happen even though mistakes happen. Just not cool.

Icolin

Banned
The last thing people and the film industry need is another generic-ass musical with people who can't even sing reinforcing white privilege.

bye LLL

"Nobody chooses me in my auditions! Guess I have to go back to school or go back to live with mom and dad!"

boohoo.

See, there's reasonable criticism, and then there's shit like this.

Nesotenso

boohoo.

Yeah, that's why I think it Moonlight winning instead of LLL was great.

you know people could also reduce the other movies as stupidly like you did LLL. I have no horse in this race but the disdain is ridiculous. You root the other ones because you feel that they are more socially relevant for you, fine. But shit like "white privelege" , "auto tune" and other asinine conclusions just baffle me.

traveler

Not Wario
What is he your grandpa? He could have realized the card was wrong and called the producer over.

Yeah, he could have improvised better, but calling someone a senile old fuck because they don't handle a messy situation perfectly is pretty ridiculous/offensive and even a bit discriminatory.

As for Warren himself, I can't actually remember what I thought of the last thing I saw him in. No opinion on him really

Window

LLL was simply not as good as Hidden Figures or Moonlight. And there was definitely not a single scene as good as when Katherine yells at everyone in the control room.

But whatever. Justice was served anyway.

You may very well think that to be true and that is fine but come to that conclusion simply based on the subject matter of the film is rather shallow.

Afrocious

the strangest thing is that they resealed an envelope of an already announced winner

My thoughts exactly.

Glad Moonlight won because we already have a million La La Lands but wouldn't it have been surprising anyway if Moonlight was just read out straight instead of this bait-and-switch?

Eh.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just rewinded and Warren looks mad confused when he has the card tbh

Joeku

And? We're talking best movie here, i'm sure moonlight is great and maybe even better than LLL (still haven't seen it) but what a nonsensical statement considering the context of the awards

It undermines the art if the lead characters are written from a disingenuous and/or ignorant place. That's kind of it.

Advantaged people in Hollywood win but also feel bad about winning: La La Land, written by a man who won young.

The above is reductive, but not wrong. The writing (sans the very end) is the weakest part of the movie. I really enjoyed it, but it's kind of tone-deaf and the only reason it got as far as it did in the Oscars is because Hollywood loves movies about Hollywood. Come the fuck on.

Qwyjibo

An embarrassing moment for the Oscars. As if the show doesn't already get criticized (rightfully) for being a long and dull each year. Now they have this fuck up.

stupei

Really unfortunate though that the best picture of the year won and all anyone's going to be talking about is the screw up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom