• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

SURGEdude

Yeah, that guy's life Moonlight is based off is such Oscar bait.

I'm not talking about the dude. Good compelling movies that aren't best picture material are made all of the time about tons of great stories.

Like I said, it was better than La La Land.

mdubs

Banned
237242e070.png

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They took the Best Picture card out of Beatty's hand and showed it to the camera. It was Moonlight.

There was no wrong card given.

Moonlight didn't click with me personally, definitely preferred La La Land or really most of the other nominees I saw, except Lion didn't like the second half of that one, to it. But hey a lot of people liked it so good for those who were rooting for it.

teiresias

What I thought was a bit, turned out to be genuine confusion. He should have said, "Emma, apparently you're Best Picture!"

I mean, when you obviously have a card that isn't for the right category (would the card for Best Actress even have the film's producers listed on it like the Best Picture card does? I doubt it) you get on the damn microphone and say, "I believe I have the wrong card, can a producer please come corroborate?"

Announcing an award that is based on votes cast is not you in a damn college acting course doing an improvisational scene.

Granjinha

It undermines the art if the lead characters are written from a disingenuous and/or ignorant place. That's kind of it.

Advantaged people in Hollywood win but also feel bad about winning: La La Land, written by a man who won young.

The above is reductive, but not wrong. The writing (sans the very end) is the weakest part of the movie. I really enjoyed it, but it's kind of tone-deaf and the only reason it got as far as it did in the Oscars is because Hollywood loves movies about Hollywood. Come the fuck on.

you know what i won't waste my time

think whatever you want

I feel like I can't even enjoy it.

I wanted Moonlight to win, but fuccccccccck, they brought the La La Land crew onstage for the biggest win of the night and took it away.

I dunno, I'm apparently an asshole right now but this amusing development kinda made the slog worth it for me. The jokes because of it are also pretty good.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It undermines the art if the lead characters are written from a disingenuous and/or ignorant place. That's kind of it.

Advantaged people in Hollywood win but also feel bad about winning: La La Land, written by a man who won young.

The above is reductive, but not wrong. The writing (sans the very end) is the weakest part of the movie. I really enjoyed it, but it's kind of tone-deaf and the only reason it got as far as it did in the Oscars is because Hollywood loves movies about Hollywood. Come the fuck on.

Lol this is so wrong.

It was year of the boring Oscar movies. Manchester by the Sea is also kinda boring, save for a few spots. Hacksaw Ridge is where it's at.
Hell or High Water is anything but boring. Come on...

(Still a bit disappointed that HoHW didn't get a single Award, whereas f***ing Suicide Squad(!!) can now call itself "Academy Award Winning Movie" x_x)

You would still be wrong
Personal opinions and all that, how do they work?

It was year of the boring Oscar movies. Manchester by the Sea is also kinda boring, save for a few spots. Hacksaw Ridge is where it's at.
Manchester wasn't THAT boring but it definitely itely had its Zzzz moments. Personally I would have liked to see Arrival win but that wasn't going to happen. Hell or High Water was another favorite of mine. Hacksaw Ridge was a great movie, glad it won some awards but honestly I thought Andrew Garfield was better in Silence. But still, Hacksaw showing that Mel Gibson still has it.

But yeah, definitely a lackluster year all around.

So what happened? Why did the presenter say La La Land when the card itself said Moonlight? I mean, aren't you supposed to read what the card says, not what the envelope says?

Kindekuma

Banned
I noticed the front of the envelopes don't even have a description on them.

Totally could have been prevented if they just had a simple label on the front so the stage managers knew exactly which one to hand out and prevent this kind of mess.

traveler

Not Wario

La La Land was written by a man failing to get anything off the ground in Hollywood. It wasn't until after he "made it big" with Whiplash that he even had any inkling of success or the ability to make the movie.

Not that any of this matters in film criticism anyway.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm really confused as to how this got screwed up. You have two people there to read the card, literally that's all they have to do. Warren looked like he couldn't do it and then they just said it without looking. I want details!

Really unfortunate though that the best picture of the year won and all anyone's going to be talking about is the screw up.

Still, history books will give it to Moonlight. When people look through the 'consensus' of the 21st century's best films, Moonlight is there. That's big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom