• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yo, the way Warren Beatty gave Faye Dunaway the card to read even though he saw something was wrong

LMAO

I can't stop rewatching this moment.

Faddy

Banned
He never even called it, right? He just stood there looking (justifiably) confused until his co-presenter called it.

Yeah he was standing there trying to parse it and then the woman( sorry idk her name) told him to stop stalling, then he showed her the card and just read La La Land

Choomp

Banned
Yes, but I also thought it was a hammy, forced, undercooked relationship between Emma and Ryan. It didn't even feel believable to me until the ending scenes.

I don't mean to be THAT guy... But that's kind of the point. It was a commentary on those kinds of relationships/idealistic stories.

I'm not going to delve that deep into it here, but the insane amount of disdain for this movie is kind of weird.

For real though, that guy is definitely a producer.

Stage full of people going full meltdown, everyone else just kinda wandering around shellshocked, he grabs the mic, grabs the envelope, and starts wrangling everything within reach.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Someone explain to me how they got the RIGHT card to hold up and show people. I mean, they read the wrong card, where the fuck the right card come from?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
They took the Best Picture card out of Beatty's hand and showed it to the camera. It was Moonlight.

There was no wrong card given.

That was the backup card, brought out from offstage. Beatty had the backup/duplicate Best Actress card, which was given to him by mistake. There are duplicates of all the envelopes and cards that are opened offstage to confirm the winner read onstage.

There's no conspiracy or presenter error here (aside from maybe Beatty should have called out the problem instead of handing it to Dunaway), this is a production error.

Someone explain to me how they got the RIGHT card to hold up and show people. I mean, they read the wrong card, where the fuck the right card come from?

There are duplicate envelopes opened offstage to confirm the wins.

kevin1025

Banned
I mean, when you obviously have a card that isn't for the right category (would the card for Best Actress even have the film's producers listed on it like the Best Picture card does? I doubt it) you get on the damn microphone and say, "I believe I have the wrong card, can a producer please come corroborate?"

Announcing an award that is based on votes cast is not you in a damn college acting course doing an improvisational scene.

Very true. Watching it back, after Dunaway reads it out you can hear Beatty very faintly saying, "It says Emma Stone..." and Dunaway reacts, "wat."

I'm sad this takes the spotlight from Moonlight more than the awful mix-up.

You can see in Beatty's face that there was no way he was going to avoid it. Either he would look like a fool for thinking LLL wasn't the winner or read out the wrong winner (which Dunway did).

NYR

What's with this guy just snatching the card out of Beatty's hand. Have some respect you clown.
He literally had the worst moment of his life play out in front of billions and could have easily thought it was that guy's geezers fault. Give him a break, he is a laughing stock world wide right now an he handled the rest of it with class.

After they announced lala land for Best Picture I switch the input to my TV and started playing Uncharted 4.

Ironically I'm on the For Better or For Worse chapter. I checked back to see what's going on here and Moonlight won? Wat?

Faddy

Banned

The right card was backstage with someone from PriceWaterhouseCooper who is probably in the process of being fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom