• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

Someone explain to me how they got the RIGHT card to hold up and show people. I mean, they read the wrong card, where the fuck the right card come from?
If you look in the back, there is a producer with a headset who brings out the right card.

Emma Stone
hb3wGxv.png

I love Emma Stone so much

Its amazing how people are finding this so hard to understand...wrong envelope and card. Producers realize mistake and bring the right one up..which is why you see TWO envelopes during the correction.

Everyone who doesn't know what happened keeps bringing up that Warren Beatty messed up....but it wasn't Warren's fault at all.

If you didn't see it, stop talking about it with second hand information.

Warren knew something was wrong with the card and tried to see if there was another card in the envelope and he refused to say who won and Faye, his co presenter thought he was messing around, so he tried to show her WHY he wasn't saying who won, but she just saw "lala land" and just said it without considering WHY he wasn't saying anything (being that it said Emma stone, lala land)

so Let's stop Putting blame on Warren.

Joeku

you know what i won't waste my time

think whatever you want

Dude, I'm not trying to shit on your views.

But Ryan Gosling was nominated for best actor in this movie.

Like, I get that Whiplash was a movie about Jazz and toxic relationships and the risks of achievement above all (and I fucking adore that movie for it). Funny, then, that La La Land almost touched on these again but landed far more softly. It was just written in a way that didn't land as hard, and clearly Chazelle felt the need to self-inset and proselytize for jazz while fellating the Silver Screen at the same time. It reeks of reaching.

Again, let me repeat, I really enjoyed the movie; it's just hard to not see through it. It's so much less honest and heartfelt than Whiplash.

Mistle

Yo, the way Warren Beatty gave Faye Dunaway the card to read even though he saw something was wrong

LMAO

I can't stop rewatching this moment.
Looks like he knew something was wrong and was trying to get confirmation from Faye before bringing attention to the mess up, but she just went ahead and read it out straight away, probably because his stalling was awkward and she wanted to move things along.

traveler

Not Wario
Its amazing how people are finding this so hard to understand...wrong envelope and card. Producers realize mistake and bring the right one up..which is why you see TWO envelopes during the correction.

Despite not even taking the time to understand the situation from the distance of their computer, hot take posters in this thread clearly would have handled the situation perfectly in the heat of the moment....

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The card snatch was clearly a guy dealing with a lot but trying to project "no. Stop laughing. This is real. Get them up here ASAP."

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well that's an embarrassing flub.

Not as embarrassing as the people who got legitimately angry when they thought La La Land won but still pretty bad.

God forbid one great movie wins an award over another great movie.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah I realize that

You know what I think I just hate his character too much. I can really relate to him and I'm letting a bias get to me. I hate myself the way he hates himself.

That was weird I heard that from the other room like what the fuck

Why do you hate him?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Forget about this Oscar talk, Black Twitter is on a roll right now.

Ithil

What's with this guy just snatching the card out of Beatty's hand. Have some respect you clown.

Dude he just had the Best Picture Oscar put in his hand, had him give a speech thanking his family and co-workers, then ripped it away from him. A mix of emotions is quite ok in such a scenario. That he went to show everyone the real winner right away was the correct thing to do.

A shitty reaction would have been refusing to accept the mistake.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When Warren hands her the card he has a "this cant be righ, right?" look on his face and she just blarts out La La Land lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom