• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepwater

...why the fuck did the presenters continue on when it clearly said EMMA STONE on it?

Would you rather:

• A. Assume that the card you're given is false and make an on the spot call to say something different
  • B. Read what's on the card they gave you

shoelacer

Banned
The card snatch is a producer singlehandedly trying to regain focus and get a ship back on track.

Which is kinda what producers do.

You can see him trying to stop his crew from stomping off, trying to get the moonlight crew to come up and get those awards, and trying to make sure the audience understands what the fuck is actually happening, as fast as he can, all at the same time, on live television, while processing the fact he just lost Best Picture.

I'm not gonna begrudge him whipping the card out of Warren's hand.

Guess you've seen this kinda stuff firsthand on set a lot huh

louiedog

DKB99xa.jpg

These are the two people who know the results. They both have a locked case with what I assume are a set of envelopes in each.

AoM

Lol Ellis from Schmoes pointed out:

Can you imagine if this had happened to Saving Private Ryan (who actually should have won), with Shakespeare in Love?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The card snatch is a producer singlehandedly trying to regain focus and get a ship back on track.

Which is kinda what producers do.

You can see him trying to stop his crew from stomping off, trying to get the moonlight crew to come up and get those awards, and trying to make sure the audience understands what the fuck is actually happening, as fast as he can, all at the same time, on live television, while processing the fact he just lost Best Picture.

I'm not gonna begrudge him whipping the card out of Warren's hand.
Right. Exactly. Warren has been on a film set. He knows. He has had an AD be much terser I assure you.

I long for the day when black people/movies can win Oscars for being...happy...like in La La Land rather than being broken.

I I suppose our brokeness is entertainment to those who do not live our lives.

Moonlight is happy.

But it's also about a gay black man in the hood, so it's real, and real isn't always happy.

ZeoVGM

Banned
...why the fuck did the presenters continue on when it clearly said EMMA STONE on it?

It's a pretty unique and awkward situation to be in. He knew something was wrong and was clearly trying to show the card to Faye as sort of a, "Uh.. WTF?"

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
We're going to need a Warren Commission Investigation into how this happened.

So Leo had the Lead Actress Card and might have planted it. Warren seemed to know something was wrong but Faye went with. Warren is just the fall guy. Watch the tapes!

Jigorath

Banned
So Leo had the backup envelope for Best Actress.

Somehow it got into Beatty's hand.

Beatty opened the envelope and realized he had the wrong card.

Beatty is confused and doesn't know what to do.

Dunway thinks Beatty is trolling so she looks at the card and immediately blurts out the first thing she sees.

So to complete this timeline we just need to know how Beatty got ahold of Leo's envelope.

ALSO: if you rewatch, you can see that the show's producers are filling in the recipients while the speeches are going on. Horowitz & the other bald guy absolutely know they did not win. Watch 'em in the background.

Here's some shady shit: The other bald guy goes up and starts delivering his speech ANYWAY. He starts his speech knowing they didn't win, that the wrong envelope got read, and it's only after Horowitz starts taking control that he gives it up and is like "We lost, by the way."

Crazy. Like, he was just sorta gambling that... what, the Academy would just let it rock?

GunBR

I tought the bald guy was some producer of the Oscars and I was thinking why he looked so angry

Only now I saw that he was actually one of LLL producers. That's explain why he took the card out of Warren hand with such anger

Props to Kimmel for being funny to close out the show though. Displayed quick wittiness to be able to turn that fiasco into a laughing matter.

Dalek

ALSO: if you rewatch, you can see that the show's producers are filling in the recipients while the speeches are going on. Horowitz & the other bald guy absolutely know they did not win. Watch 'em in the background.

Here's some shady shit: The other bald guy goes up and starts delivering his speech ANYWAY. He starts his speech knowing they didn't win, that the wrong envelope got read, and it's only after Horowitz starts taking control that he gives it up and is like "We lost, by the way."

Crazy. Like, he was just sorta gambling that... what, the Academy would just let it rock?

Wow you're right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom