• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

Banned
So Leo had the backup envelope for Best Actress.

Somehow it got into Beatty's hand.

Beatty opened the envelope and realized he had the wrong card.

Beatty is confused and doesn't know what to do.

Dunway thinks Beatty is trolling so she looks at the card and immediately blurts out the first thing she sees.

So to complete this timeline we just need to know how Beatty got ahold of Leo's envelope.

bd7730187e.jpg

Zasa

Well that's an embarrassing flub.

Not as embarrassing as the people who got legitimately angry when they thought La La Land won but still pretty bad.

God forbid one great movie wins an award over another great movie.
Yeah, seriously. This place read like a twitter console warrior thread all night.

Critiques of LLL from delusional people thinking it's about white privilege, etc, etc. Like what?

ALSO: if you rewatch, you can see that the show's producers are filling in the recipients while the speeches are going on. Horowitz & the other bald guy absolutely know they did not win. Watch 'em in the background.

Here's some shady shit: The other bald guy goes up and starts delivering his speech ANYWAY. He starts his speech knowing they didn't win, that the wrong envelope got read, and it's only after Horowitz starts taking control that he gives it up and is like "We lost, by the way."

Crazy. Like, he was just sorta gambling that... what, the Academy would just let it rock?
That guy was a douche

RootCause

Just watched it again. Warren is clearly confused by the envelope. Even takes a look , as to ask for some help. I feel bad for him.

Nameless

Amy Adams is Best Picture

eKGHuHF.jpg

I like you.

Seriously, though, Double A starred in two of my top 5 films of the year. Moonlight winning washes away some of the salt over her not being recognized for a brilliant 2016 but it's still a fucking travesty.

C. Ask for a producer to check this obviously erroneous card.

The oscar for Best Director goes to...EMMA STONE.

Did you ALSO miss the part where Beatty looked confused and Faye was just looking ti hurry things along. She glanced at the card saw a movie title and said it.

Just one of those things

he's no chris rock. but lightyears more entertaining than the wack NPH or Ellen years.

should bring him back. he gives off a pretty relaxed vibe to the oscars.
Oh yeah, Chris Rock was great. I didn't watch NPH host but he seems much more suited to something like the Tony Awards. I watched Ellen and she just didn't do anything for me. Tried a little too hard at times.

So Leo had the backup envelope for Best Actress.

Somehow it got into Beatty's hand.

Beatty opened the envelope and realized he had the wrong card.

Beatty is confused and doesn't know what to do.

Dunway thinks Beatty is trolling so she looks at the card and immediately blurts out the first thing she sees.

So to complete this timeline we just need to know how Beatty got ahold of Leo's envelope.

No because Emma says she had the envelope.
She probably took the one that Leo used to announce her win.

ExVicis

I feel so bad for Warren Beatty having this being all pinned on him and getting all this anger. Guy was just trying to do the best he had with what he was given.

mreddie

ALSO: if you rewatch, you can see that the show's producers are filling in the recipients while the speeches are going on. Horowitz & the other bald guy absolutely know they did not win. Watch 'em in the background.

Here's some shady shit: The other bald guy goes up and starts delivering his speech ANYWAY. He starts his speech knowing they didn't win, that the wrong envelope got read, and it's only after Horowitz starts taking control that he gives it up and is like "We lost, by the way."

Crazy. Like, he was just sorta gambling that... what, the Academy would just let it rock?

THE LAYERS

This is insane.

Ok serious talk now: help me understand Oscar logic. Why does a movie with 6 Oscars looses to a movie that won just one? How does that work? Same shit they pulled last year when Spotlight with 1 beat Mad Max' and The Revenant which won 5 and 3 respectively.

What's the logic behind this?

Korey

That dude is shady af. He probably knew this was his one chance to thank his parents or some shit in front of the country and went for it anyway...

Wanderer5

Kind of dragged on at times, and the mistake there at the end was really unfortunate, but that was a good Oscars. I'll probably rent Moonlight sometime and track down Sing. Also still need to see Red Turtle.'_'

Shame they didn't grab the card from the category earlier that Suicide Squad won. Now that would have been a twist.

Oh man I would have died from that.

teiresias

Hey, it worked for Crash against Brokeback Mountain.

Kaizer

Banned

Man, I'm gonna be replaying that moment for while.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

You are absolutely right, holy shit wow

We're going to need a Warren Commission Investigation into how this happened.

So Leo had the Lead Actress Card and might have planted it. Warren seemed to know something was wrong but Faye went with. Warren is just the fall guy. Watch the tapes!

Warren Beatty planned his revenge against the academy for 35 years.

traveler

Not Wario
Ok serious talk now: help me understand Oscar logic. Why does a movie with 6 Oscars looses to a movie that won just one? How does that work? Same shit they pulled last year when Spotlight with 1 beat Mad Max' and The Revenant which won 5 and 3 respectively.

....what? I don't even get this logic. Movies are more than the sum of their parts, and it's not like their parts are mathematically weighted and added to begin with.

kevin1025

Banned
I like you.

Seriously, though, Double A starred in two of my top 5 films of the year. Moonlight winning washes away some of the salt over her not being recognized for a brilliant 2016 but it's still a fucking travesty.

You speak the truth! Meryl and Amy, forever and always.

FTF

It had won two before bp but ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom