• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
ALSO: if you rewatch, you can see that the show's producers are filling in the recipients while the speeches are going on. Horowitz & the other bald guy absolutely know they did not win. Watch 'em in the background.

Here's some shady shit: The other bald guy goes up and starts delivering his speech ANYWAY. He starts his speech knowing they didn't win, that the wrong envelope got read, and it's only after Horowitz starts taking control that he gives it up and is like "We lost, by the way."

Crazy. Like, he was just sorta gambling that... what, the Academy would just let it rock?

I don't work in Hollywood nearly as much as you probably do, but producers being scummy is the least surprising thing ever. 1 in 10 that I work with are actually cool.

Rainy

Banned
Gosling's reaction - HE DID IT

C5plGBLWAAAya5Q

Was this photo taken after they correctly announced Moonlight?

rogue74

Ok, so being handed the wrong card is fucked up. But you don't have to be a Mensa member to figure out that if you are announcing Best Picture and your are looking at a card that says "Emma Stone", then something has gone wrong and you shouldn't blurt "La La Land" - which would have been in much tinier font. People should think on their feet a little bit.

In other words, I blame Faye Dunaway the most.

ALSO: if you rewatch, you can see that the show's producers are filling in the recipients while the speeches are going on. Horowitz & the other bald guy absolutely know they did not win. Watch 'em in the background.

Here's some shady shit: The other bald guy goes up and starts delivering his speech ANYWAY. He starts his speech knowing they didn't win, that the wrong envelope got read, and it's only after Horowitz starts taking control that he gives it up and is like "We lost, by the way."

Crazy. Like, he was just sorta gambling that... what, the Academy would just let it rock?

The other bald guy kind of looked reluctant at first, and then was like, "YOLO".

KHarvey16

Ok serious talk now: help me understand Oscar logic. Why does a movie with 6 Oscars looses to a movie that won just one? How does that work? Same shit they pulled last year when Spotlight with 1 beat Mad Max' and The Revenant which won 5 and 3 respectively.

What's the logic behind this?

I don't understand why having more oscars would mean it's a better movie overall. There aren't oscars for every single characteristic of a movie.

louiedog

I saw Get Out today and wouldn't be at all mad to see it with a nomination or two next year. I thought it was very well written and directed and didn't realize how talented Jordan Peele is.

Personal opinions and all that, how do they work?

Manchester wasn't THAT boring but it definitely itely had its Zzzz moments. Personally I would have liked to see Arrival win but that wasn't going to happen. Hell or High Water was another favorite of mine. Hacksaw Ridge was a great movie, glad it won some awards but honestly I thought Andrew Garfield was better in Silence. But still, Hacksaw showing that Mel Gibson still has it.

But yeah, definitely a lackluster year all around.

Still wrong. Personal opinions and whatever you like.

Also Amy Adams, nominated 5 times and the one time she
should be nominated, she isn't.

I don't work in Hollywood nearly as much as you probably do, but producers being scummy is the least surprising thing ever. 1 in 10 that I work with are actually cool.

I guarantee you work in Hollywood more than I do, because I live in Portland and have been on like, maybe 2 film sets total, heh.

GunBR

Ok, so being handed the wrong card is fucked up. But you don't have to be a Mensa member to figure out that if you are announcing Best Picture and your are looking at a card that says "Emma Stone", then something had gone wrong ama you shouldn't blurt "La La Land" - which would have been in much tinier font. People should think on their feet a little bit.

In other words, I blame Faye Dunaway the most.

If you look the real card, it have "Moonlight" and all the producers names below
The best actress has "Emma Stone" and "La La Land" below

It's easy to mistake during a live presentation.

Mortemis

Banned
Don't usually watch the oscars, but this whole thing has me rolling 😂😂😂

LLLand cast got done wrong lmao, moonlight really deserves it though

naw.....rewatch it.

Horowitz takes control after he says "we lost btw" and Horowitz wasn't trying to let negativity take over the stage.

The bald guy wasn't 100% sure they lost it seems, maybe like 75% sure and it's only when he looked back after saying some thank yous and realized that they really lost.

HeelPower

I like you.

Seriously, though, Double A starred in two of my top 5 films of the year. Moonlight winning washes away some of the salt over her not being recognized for a brilliant 2016 but it's still a fucking travesty.

I would argue her Best role was Nocturnal Animals.

Extremely subtle and complex performance she gave.

Yeah,what a shame.

Broank

Yea that was weird. Dude knew he didn't win and was like "fuck it I'm doing my thanks speech anyways."

Brinbe

Ok serious talk now: help me understand Oscar logic. Why does a movie with 6 Oscars looses to a movie that won just one? How does that work? Same shit they pulled last year when Spotlight with 1 beat Mad Max' and The Revenant which won 5 and 3 respectively.

huh. that's not how any of this works

Ithil

Best Picture is not for "the one with the most other Oscars".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom