• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptomex

As soon as it happened I knew - a movie with white people, a movie with black people, a mistaken winner. This is going to be blown so out of proportion. I don't think there's a conspiracy. I think someone fucked up giving Beatty the card. He was then given the right card and showed it to the camera. That's it. If there is blame it's to the person who gave him the wrong card. And I think even that was just a mistake.

rekameohs

Banned
Emma Stone
hb3wGxv.png
Emma Stone is pretty great

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So, why the hell don't they tell the presenters who won right before they go present? It's not like they're going to spoil the surprise in the walk between the backstage and the mic.

Blader

So what happened? Why did the presenter say La La Land when the card itself said Moonlight? I mean, aren't you supposed to read what the card says, not what the envelope says?

They gave Beatty a duplicate of the Emma Stone/La La Land card from best actress. Which doesn't make sense as a best picture card, since Emma Stone is not representing the movie, hence Beatty's confusion.

Fucking hell. That was a wild ride. I was pretty much like this when the whole thing happened:
KOcFCGe.gif

Man, I'm happy Moonlight won but to see the cast and crew of La La Land celebrate and then have the Oscar taken away from them was heartbreaking. Massive fuckup.

I have to say I was quite surprised at how good Kimmel was as a host. I was expecting him to be rather bland.

Looks like he knew something was wrong and was trying to get confirmation from Faye before bringing attention to the mess up, but she just went ahead and read it out straight away, probably because his stalling was awkward and she wanted to move things along.

Yea, it doesn't seem like he was trying to throw her under bus, just seemed like he was trying to show her why he wasn't announcing the winner, but she thought he was messing around and just probably quickly saw "lala land" and just went with it.

The card snatch is a producer singlehandedly trying to regain focus and get a ship back on track.

Which is kinda what producers do.

You can see him trying to stop his crew from stomping off, trying to get the moonlight crew to come up and get those awards, and trying to make sure the audience understands what the fuck is actually happening, as fast as he can, all at the same time, on live television, while processing the fact he just lost Best Picture.

I'm not gonna begrudge him whipping the card out of Warren's hand.

Brinbe

What? If anything Moonlight just got more attention than it ever did AND it won.

Whoever handed him that wrong card is in for some shit though.

Tanis

The way that producer Jordan Horowitz took control and got the right winner out was pretty impressive. He immediately realised that no one was going to believe it wasn't a joke until they saw it in black in white on the card itself.

Wensih

The event itself will outshine both LLL and Moonlight, unfortunately.

Yes this is the most unfortunate part of this fiasco. Moonlight deserves it but they deserved the full time and speech allotted to the winners instead everyone was dumbstruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom