• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yea that was weird. Dude knew he didn't win and was like "fuck it I'm doing my thanks speech anyways."

Probably betting on some weird reality where nobody figures it out until after the show and then just decides to give both out of pity. Shoot your shot haha

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
naw.....rewatch it.

Horowitz takes control after he says "we lost btw" and Horowitz wasn't trying to let negativity take over the stage.

The bald guy wasn't 100% sure they lost it seems, maybe like 75% sure and it's only when he looked back after saying some thank yous and realized that they really lost.
He actually refuses to take the mic at first. You can see it before the cut. I think he was just trying to be cheeky. Figured he'd thank some people and say "we lost btw" but it didn't land.

Who knows, benefit of the doubt though. I did clearly see him out his hands up at first when he was offered the mic. He knew it wasn't a legit win.

C5pjigIUsAA-6kd.jpg

DKB99xa.jpg

Wow hate to be one of these people right now.

Whelp, that wraps it up here folks.

Case, shut Closed.

ALSO: if you rewatch, you can see that the show's producers are filling in the recipients while the speeches are going on. Horowitz & the other bald guy absolutely know they did not win. Watch 'em in the background.

Here's some shady shit: The other bald guy goes up and starts delivering his speech ANYWAY. He starts his speech knowing they didn't win, that the wrong envelope got read, and it's only after Horowitz starts taking control that he gives it up and is like "We lost, by the way."

Crazy. Like, he was just sorta gambling that... what, the Academy would just let it rock?

Gotta try to get the W even when you know you have the L

lol I noticed that too

Glad Moonlight won as it was the most deserving, but the La La Land backlash continues to annoy me as it seems like enough of, obviously not all, of the people shitting on it never wanted to like it in first place. If you legitimately think it's "white people save Jazz", fascist, or it has autotuned (!?) objectivly bad music; you never wanted to like this movie.

I think LLL is a great fucking movie it is charming as hell and one of the best shot films I've ever seen. That said, it has plenty of valid criticisms. But in the world of Twitter and hot takes on the internet, everything is black and white: "the thing I like is the best thing ever and the thing I don't is hot dog shit and you're a stupid idiot for liking it."

You can like more than one thing, Moonlight and La La Land are my two favorite movies this year and for totally different reasons, and since the Golden Globes I thought Moonlight had a real good chance of winning, because of how great it was and due it's message in the current political climate. It's the more important movie. But premptivly everyone shit on how out of touch the Academy would be, when in actuality they are probably the most liberal group of 6000 people you can find in America. Obviously, there is still huge diversity problems in Hollywood, just annoying how cynical people are today. Maybe it's hard to be optimistic the way the country is currently.

Anyway, sucks that this ended in a snafu, Moonlight deserved its name to be read and for the crowd to errupt, and LLL didn't deserve to have to walk off the stage awkwardly.

There is a wrestling metaphore to be made here about bad twist endings

mjp2417

Banned
ALSO: if you rewatch, you can see that the show's producers are filling in the recipients while the speeches are going on. Horowitz & the other bald guy absolutely know they did not win. Watch 'em in the background.

Here's some shady shit: The other bald guy goes up and starts delivering his speech ANYWAY. He starts his speech knowing they didn't win, that the wrong envelope got read, and it's only after Horowitz starts taking control that he gives it up and is like "We lost, by the way."

Crazy. Like, he was just sorta gambling that... what, the Academy would just let it rock?

To be fair, he just does a few shoutouts and then closes with "we lost by the way." I don't think he was trying to be scummy, it's just that no one but the other bald dude knew how to handle that situation, including the Academy, Warren Beatty, and Jimmy Kimmel themselves.

Who knows, benefit of the doubt though. I did clearly see him out his hands up at first when he was offered the mic. He knew it wasn't a legit win.

Yeah, the first producer (who had no idea) finishes his speech and turns to him like "your turn" and bald guy tries to wave it off.

Then we cut to the crowd shot and he hits the mic anyway.

At some point he peters out, which is right about the time Horowitz starts taking over.

rogue74

If you look the real card, it have "Moonlight" and all the producers names below
The best actress has "Emma Stone" and "La La Land" below

It's easy to mistake during a live presentation.

I guess. I still think they should have caught it.

Interesting quote from Emma saying she had her card the whole time. So were there 2 cards printed with the best actress winner? That doesn't seem right either. The whole thing is weird.

Icolin

Banned
Glad Moonlight won as it was the most deserving, but the La La Land backlash continues to annoy me as it seems like enough of, obviously not all, of the people shitting on it never wanted to like it in first place. If you legitimately think it's "white people save Jazz", fascist, or it has autotuned (!?) objectivly bad music; you never wanted to like this movie.

I think LLL is a great fucking movie it is charming as hell and one of the best shot films I've ever seen. That said, it has plenty of valid criticisms. But in the world of Twitter and hot takes on the internet, everything is black and white: "the thing I like is the best thing ever and the thing I don't is hot dog shit and you're a stupid idiot for liking it."

You can like more than one thing, Moonlight and La La Land are my two favorite movies this year and for totally different reasons, and since the Golden Globes I thought Moonlight had a real good chance of winning, because of how great it was and due it's message in the current political climate. It's the more important movie. But premptivly everyone shit on how out of touch the Academy would be, when in actuality they are probably the most liberal group of 6000 people you can find in America. Obviously, there is still huge diversity problems in Hollywood, just annoying how cynical people are today. Maybe it's hard to be optimistic the way the country is currently.

Anyway, sucks that this ended in a snafu, Moonlight deserved its name to be read and for the crowd to errupt, and LLL didn't deserve to have to walk off the stage awkwardly.

This mirrors my thoughts completely.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Warren even checks if there's another card in the envelope lol

Burbeting

Banned

Nailed it with this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xd_exQvgk

you can tell he knew something was up when he took a few glances at the card, but Faye for some reason didn't catch on .

She thought he was being cheeky and just read the movie title immediately upon being given the envelope.

Feel bad about the mixup :( I didn't think LLL deserved the win but having the switcheroo happen definitely was just shitty for them and I feel bad for the LLL team. That and I didn't feel like the Moonlight team got to celebrate and give their speech in the way they would otherwise.

Wanderer5

All of the live action shorts nominee for $6 on google play. Think I will dive in and start seeing these.

Still haven't seen Blind Vaysha and Pear Cider and Cigarettes on the animated short side.

I think the snafu means more people will watch Moonlight.

I liked La La Land. I watched it three times in theaters.

But Moonlight is a transcendent work of art.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
To be fair, he just does a few shoutouts and then closes with "we lost by the way." I don't think he was trying to be scummy, it's just that no one but the other bald dude knew how to handle that situation, including the Academy, Warren Beatty, and Jimmy Kimmel themselves.
I think this is it. I can't think the worst of a stranger, especially cuz you see him out his hands up and say "no" when the other guy finishes his speech and offered him the mic. I think he just thought of a cheeky way to deliver the news and it didn't land.

Producers are, as a rule, dorks.

teiresias

It's also completely unprofessional from the show's producers to just come on and inform the LLL producers and not do anything themselves to clear up the confusion - leaving it to that LLL producer to clear up the whole mess. Total fail from a production standpoint.

I think you are being a bit harsh on the dude who said "we lost by the way." The dude was presented with a chaotic and unprecedented situation at the exact moment that he was riding an insane adrenaline high.

I've won one large(ish) award and the entire act of walking to the stage and talking is already an out of body experience, I'm not sure how long it would take me to grok anything in that state. I don't think he was gambling as much as he was on autopilot.

Choomp

Banned

Pretty good post. There's been too much crazy shit going on in sports and politics for you people

duckroll

Yeah, the first producer (who had no idea) finishes his speech and turns to him like "your turn" and bald guy tries to wave it off.

Then we cut to the crowd shot and he hits the mic anyway.

At some point he peters out, which is right about the time Horowitz starts taking over.

I don't understand. How can the producers know they didn't win? Did they check something before going on stage?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Interesting quote from Emma saying she had her card the whole time. So were there 2 cards printed with the best actress winner? That doesn't seem right either. The whole thing is weird.

Yes, there are two identical sets of award cards.

Yeah, it's Sasha Banks and Charlotte Flair all over again.

Ithil

DKB99xa.jpg

There's the 24 envelopes in one case, and 24 backups in the other case. Somehow they gave Beatty the backup Best Actress.

scarlet

This man speaks the truth.

Schlorgan

I was bummed since I called Moonlight, but now I'm pretty stoked.

Haven't even seen it, I just felt like it would win. It sure seems deserving of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom