• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.
She thought he was being cheeky and just read the movie title immediately upon being given the envelope.

Feel bad about the mixup :( I didn't think LLL deserved the win but having the switcheroo happen definitely was just shitty for them and I feel bad for the LLL team. That and I didn't feel like the Moonlight team got to celebrate and give their speech in the way they would otherwise.

yeah he was looking off stage for a correction so I think he knew he had the wrong card, she is the one who called it out.

16864282_1831770580422724_6683888408314096394_n.png

GunBR

Gosling reaction is great
Chazelle got his Oscar, Emma got her Oscar, Gosling is having fun

The LLL producers are the only ones who end up the show angry

Rainy

Banned
This definitely sucks for the Moonlight crew as they don't get an actual moment of having it properly announced and a full speech and stuff. Sucks for the LLL crew as well.

Korey

I don't understand. How can the producers know they didn't win? Did they check something before going on stage?

They were informed that Moonlight won while the first guy was giving his speech. The second guy went on to give his speech knowing that they lost, probably because he wanted to thank his parents or some shit and it was his only chance.

That guy is shady af.

Watch it again. The second guy clearly knew what was happening as he went up, and even says "btw we lost" at the end of his speech: https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/836085115981746176

Glad Moonlight won as it was the most deserving, but the La La Land backlash continues to annoy me as it seems like enough of, obviously not all, of the people shitting on it never wanted to like it in first place. If you legitimately think it's "white people save Jazz", fascist, or it has autotuned (!?) objectivly bad music; you never wanted to like this movie.

I think LLL is a great fucking movie it is charming as hell and one of the best shot films I've ever seen. That said, it has plenty of valid criticisms. But in the world of Twitter and hot takes on the internet, everything is black and white: "the thing I like is the best thing ever and the thing I don't is hot dog shit and you're a stupid idiot for liking it."

You can like more than one thing, Moonlight and La La Land are my two favorite movies this year and for totally different reasons, and since the Golden Globes I thought Moonlight had a real good chance of winning, because of how great it was and due it's message in the current political climate. It's the more important movie. But premptivly everyone shit on how out of touch the Academy would be, when in actuality they are probably the most liberal group of 6000 people you can find in America. Obviously, there is still huge diversity problems in Hollywood, just annoying how cynical people are today. Maybe it's hard to be optimistic the way the country is currently.

Anyway, sucks that this ended in a snafu, Moonlight deserved its name to be read and for the crowd to errupt, and LLL didn't deserve to have to walk off the stage awkwardly.

There is a wrestling metaphore to be made here about bad twist endings

Great post. I just hate this "It's either perfect in all ways or absolute dogshit" thing.

Tanis

ALSO: if you rewatch, you can see that the show's producers are filling in the recipients while the speeches are going on. Horowitz & the other bald guy absolutely know they did not win. Watch 'em in the background.

Here's some shady shit: The other bald guy goes up and starts delivering his speech ANYWAY. He starts his speech knowing they didn't win, that the wrong envelope got read, and it's only after Horowitz starts taking control that he gives it up and is like "We lost, by the way."

Crazy. Like, he was just sorta gambling that... what, the Academy would just let it rock?

Holy crap you are right. He 100% knew it was a mistake and decided the best way to play it was to keep it going with a joke speech rather than explain it and get Moonlight up on the stage. That is the reason the dude who took over and held the card up is angry and snatches the card.

Ok serious talk now: help me understand Oscar logic. Why does a movie with 6 Oscars looses to a movie that won just one? How does that work? Same shit they pulled last year when Spotlight with 1 beat Mad Max' and The Revenant which won 5 and 3 respectively.

What's the logic behind this?

La La Land is a dreamy musical it's best qualities lend it to winning awards for score, song, and production design it also was incredibly well shot. So cinematography and directing also make sense. Moonlight has a great score and cinematography but isn't "showy" about it, the real meat of the movie is the script and the acting. Also It's structure of having three actors play the lead character screw it out of the best actor category.

ShadyK54

Glad Moonlight won as it was the most deserving, but the La La Land backlash continues to annoy me as it seems like enough of, obviously not all, of the people shitting on it never wanted to like it in first place. If you legitimately think it's "white people save Jazz", fascist, or it has autotuned (!?) objectivly bad music; you never wanted to like this movie.

I think LLL is a great fucking movie it is charming as hell and one of the best shot films I've ever seen. That said, it has plenty of valid criticisms. But in the world of Twitter and hot takes on the internet, everything is black and white: "the thing I like is the best thing ever and the thing I don't is hot dog shit and you're a stupid idiot for liking it."

You can like more than one thing, Moonlight and La La Land are my two favorite movies this year and for totally different reasons, and since the Golden Globes I thought Moonlight had a real good chance of winning, because of how great it was and due it's message in the current political climate. It's the more important movie. But premptivly everyone shit on how out of touch the Academy would be, when in actuality they are probably the most liberal group of 6000 people you can find in America. Obviously, there is still huge diversity problems in Hollywood, just annoying how cynical people are today. Maybe it's hard to be optimistic the way the country is currently.

Anyway, sucks that this ended in a snafu, Moonlight deserved its name to be read and for the crowd to errupt, and LLL didn't deserve to have to walk off the stage awkwardly.

Great post.

duckroll

They were informed that Moonlight won while the first guy was giving his speech. The second guy went on to give his speech knowing that they lost, probably because he wanted to thank his parents or some shit and it was his only chance.

That guy is shady af.

Watch it again. The second guy clearly knew what was happening as he went up, and even says "btw we lost" at the end of his speech: https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/836085115981746176

Wow what a piece of shit. The producer who corrected everyone was Horowitz right? He handled it really, really well.

Good post

The moment he saw the words "Emma Stone Best Actress" on the card he shouldve stopped & spoken out - but noooooo - lets just stare at the fuken card for a few moments and give it to his co-presenter who didnt give a fuk and just saw La La Land instantly and said it out loud

teiresias

I don't understand. How can the producers know they didn't win? Did they check something before going on stage?

There was an Oscar broadcast producer (of the Oscar show itself, not of LLL) on stage informing them of the mistake. That that producer of the actual Oscar broadcast didn't actually get on the microphone and clear it up is completely ridiculous.

LionPride

Banned

That guy is shady af.

He petty as fuck

I disagree with one point, I enjoyed La La Land. Thought it was beautiful and a good, not great film. There is an issue, that in a film about Jazz, a black art form for the most part, the film's main male lead basically white-splains Jazz. Even to the one speaking black character in the movie. There is an issue there.

I think you are being a bit harsh on the dude who said "we lost by the way." The dude was presented with a chaotic and unprecedented situation at the exact moment that he was riding an insane adrenaline high.

I've won one large(ish) award and the entire act of walking to the stage and talking is already an out of body experience, I'm not sure how long it would take me to grok anything in that state. I don't think he was gambling as much as he was on autopilot.

Exactly. I think he was just on "the show must go on" mode. Nobody knows what to do in this situation. Let it play out and THEN have the announcement? Cut that shit right there? Who knows? At that point the showrunners were just trying to piece it together, nobody had any instructions yet of what to do. And bald dude just said "nah we gotta cut this shit right now".

Don't like that he just snatched the card that said "Moonlight" right from Warren's hands tho. He should've let Warren be the one to say it and explain. He didn't do anything wrong.

I think you are being a bit harsh on the dude who said "we lost by the way." The dude was presented with a chaotic and unprecedented situation at the exact moment that he was riding an insane adrenaline high.

I've won one large(ish) award and the entire act of walking to the stage and talking is already an out of body experience, I'm not sure how long it would take me to grok anything in that state. I don't think he was gambling as much as he was on autopilot.

Yeah, I said after someone pointed it out that he did try to wave it off. I missed that on the first view. I only saw the guys in the headsets pointing out to Horowitz and Fred Berger (that's the other bald guy) that they didn't win. A guy opens the envelope right in front of them and their body language changes completely.

Marc Platt finishes his speech, turns to Berger like "your turn" and Berger does try to decline - but then he goes up anyway.

It was definitely weird, and it seems like he realized this was maybe the wrong call as he was making it, which is why it sorta wound down and ended with "we lost, by the way."

rogue74

Yes, there are two identical sets of award cards.

Thanks.

In the long run, this is great for Moonlight. How many people who aren't film buffs remember off the top of their heads who won best picture the last few years? No one will ever forget Moonlight is a Best Picture winner.

Korey

He's taking the opportunity to thank those meaningful to him while he has the spotlight; not trying to pool the wool over everyone's eyes. Hardly disgusting.

Taking the opportunity to give a thank you speech when you lost?

How about handing the mic over to the actual winners, like the third guy did?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Wow what a piece of shit. The producer who corrected everyone was Horowitz right? He handled it really, really well.

I'm not sure if we should judge him just off that, it was chaos up there, no one seemed to know what to do until one of the La La Land producers got a hold of the situation. That should've been a job for someone working for the Oscars, not him.

He didn't go on the mic himself, too. The first guy told him to come and say something, so he did, I don't think he was trying to steal anyone's thunder. Shit was just a big clusterfuck.

FTF

The real shame is that an otherwise great oscars, with a lot of great winners, La La Land and Moonlight if you want to pick two standouts, will be overshadowed by this unfortunate nonsense. Feel bad for all those involved. Congrats to Moonlight and all the winners though.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
im surprised the print for "best picture" is at the bottom of the card and so small, you think it would be near the top and in big font while the winning film would be right under it

duckroll

Or it could be seen as making light of the situation, but it's probably best to expect the worst in people.

I'm not talking about the retort. If he knew they didn't win, he should not have continued with the speech. It's improper. They should have stopped and just corrected it immediately.

It was Matt Damon's vengence for being shit on all night. The Oscars said fuck you to him, so he nuclear bombed the ending. It wasn't fun, it was never fun.

Owzers

Anthony Anderson is really annoying on the after show with this envelope thing. He keeps acting like he's on to something.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Imagine being perfect as your dreams are crushed. Now imagine being the sort of person who thinks they would be able to live up to that.

It's weird people watch so many of these films and never learn "people are messy and fuck up, but usually not evil"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom