• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigolo

My picks (knowing some won't win)

Best Picture - Arrival
Actor - Affleck
Actress - Portman
Supporting Actor - Ali
Supporting Actress - Davis
Animation Film - Kubo
Cinematography - Silence
Costume Design - Jackie
Directing - Chazelle
Editing - Toss up between Hacksaw Ridge and Arrival
Score - La La Land
Song - La La Land
Production Design - Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them
Sound Editing - Hacksaw Ridge
Sound Mixing - Hacksaw Ridge
Visual Effects - Jungle Book
Adapted - Toss up between Moonlight and Arrival
Original - Manchester by the Sea

Cannot comment on the other nominations

AHA-Lambda

Going in for that La La Land sweep!

Silence was my second favorite behind Arrival. It was absolutely amazing. Fuck Paramount

God damn shame it didn't get nominated, brilliant movie.

And personally, that sentiment also extends for me to A Monster Calls and The Founder; I'd put both of them in before a few of the other best picture nominees.

NYR

-EDIT-
giphy.gif
9yz3g.gif

kevin1025

Banned
Opinions are flying in this thread, and I don't know how to feel about them.

I appreciate and love seeing the opinions, but man do I disagree with a lot of them, haha.

Only award I care about is Emma Stone winning best actress. Well, that and Hell or High Water winning best picture but that ain't gonna fucking happen.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Oh man..so what was the point?!?

Keep in mind the son not reacting was something that bothered me...not saying it was the point or right or wrong.

The concept of grief and how we deal with it and how that varies based on all different factors including age. I thought the young guy was close to Oscar worthy personally.

That's why stupid comments like "it's not hard to look sad for 2 hours" are hilariously short sighted. Besides he doesn't look sad for 2 hours he looks a large array of emotions ranging from empty to furious throughout pretty much the entire movie and again that's the point.

Ithil

First..no need to spoiler anything..he dies, its in the trailer.

I don't mean us..the characters in the movie..specifically the son..have almost no reaction to him dying.

That's because
he had already been dying for years from heart disease, it's mentioned numerous times he had been in and out of hospital constantly with attacks, and one was bound to be fatal. They had years to prepare for his death, but it still came back to hit the characters at different time, as noted when the son has an unexpected freakout at his freezer.

Oersted

I think we all can agree that the Academy dropped the ball in the Hair/Makeup category.

No, not Suicide Squad.

Nocturnal Animals, La La Land and Hail, Caesar! deserved noms.

The concept of grief and how we deal with it and how that varies based on all different factors including age. I thought the young guy was close to Oscar worthy personally.

That's why stupid comments like "it's not hard to look sad for 2 hours" are hilariously short sighted. Besides he doesn't look sad for 2 hours he looks a large array of emotions ranging from empty to furious throughout pretty much the entire movie and again that's the point.

You didn't explain anything that slipped by me.
All Im saying is the way the kid reacted on the day his father died bothered me. Its just not the way a person reacts when a parent dies...at any age. Especially in a movie that is very realistic.

robotrock

Banned
All Im saying is the way the kid reacted on the day his father died bothered me. Its just not the way a person reacts when a parent dies...at any age. Especially in a movie that is very realistic.

but you're fine with casey affleck's blank stare when he sees the
house burning and the body bags?

Final predictions.

Best Picture: La La Land
Best Director: Damien Chazelle – La La Land
Best Actor: Casey Affleck – Manchester by the Sea (Denzel could easily win as well, though)
Best Actress: Emma Stone – La La Land
Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali – Moonlight
Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis – Fences
Best Original Screenplay: Manchester by the Sea
Best Adapted Screenplay: Moonlight
Best Editing: La La Land
Best Cinematography: La La Land
Best Production Design: La La Land
Best Costume Design: Jackie
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Star Trek Beyond
Best Original Score: La La Land
Best Original Song: “City of Stars” – La La Land
Best Visual Effects: The Jungle Book
Best Sound Mixing: La La Land
Best Sound Editing: Hacksaw Ridge
Best Animated Feature: Zootopia
Best Foreign Language Film: The Salesman
Best Documentary: OJ: Made in America
Best Live Action Short: Ennemis Interieurs
Best Animated Short: Piper
Best Documentary Short: Joe’s Violin

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Read the quote above. Also that's fairly accurate how many teenagers and children react in tragedy. Again there are many factors at play regarding his character given his experiences growing up and what he's heard.

but you're fine with casey affleck's blank stare when he sees the
house burning and the body bags?

Blank stare?
You mean the look of shock that he just killed his family?
And the son didnt have a blank stare..he wanted to hang with friends and fuck his side piece.

robotrock

Banned
Blank stare?
You mean the look of shock that he just killed his family?
And the son didnt have a blank stare..he wanted to hang with friends and fuck his side piece.

you didn't even see the son's face when he hears the news

how many seconds of blank stare time do you require to be an acceptable reaction for something like this

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Those criticisms of Manchester are something I hear often and honestly it just speaks to what people expect out of "great performances" in film. They expect breakdowns and freakouts, screaming and overacting. Real life doesn't always play like that.

robotrock

Banned
Those criticisms of Manchester are something I hear often and honestly it just speaks to what people expect out of "great performances" in film. They expect breakdowns and freakouts, screaming and overacting. Real life doesn't always play like that.

yeah 100%

Read the quote above. Also that's fairly accurate how many teenagers and children react in tragedy. Again there are many factors at play regarding his character given his experiences growing up and what he's heard.

Its not really worth debating...you didnt EXPLAIN anything to me.
All I am saying is the way the kid reacted bothered me. This all stems from someone saying something was missing in the movie..and FOR ME..the way the kid reacted, up until the fridge scene, didnt sit well with me. Personal experience, etc.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Its not really worth debating...you didnt EXPLAIN anything to me.
All I am saying is the way the kid reacted bothered me. This all stems from someone saying something was missing in the movie..and FOR ME..the way the kid reacted, up until the fridge scene, didnt sit well with me. Personal experience, etc.

Alrighty agree to disagree. Again I think I explained exactly why what you're saying here is missing the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom