• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S2 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Thought last week was better than this week, but it wasn't bad overall. I liked the lie detector scene and when Elizabeth met with Laric especially.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Nina's polygraph was great. Love all the little moments this season where you're really not sure if they're pretending or not.

I almost thought we were going to get a heist montage when they panned up through the ceiling to look at the PDP-10 and the music kicked in.

"Anus." The constant between Justified and The Americans is Graham Yost.

That was a good Philip episode. He got to learn about computers and how the cloud works, plus some fun with a crazy wig as a janitor.

Enjoyable.

Edit:

I loved the split focus during the polygraph.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Tonight on The Americans: Phillip goes undercover as James McAvoy as Charles Xavier from X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Lucia's gonna pull some wild card shit at the worst possible moment.

And what are you doing, Nina?

Amazing episode.

The showrunners got the the ARPANET exposition to Philip downpat. Of course it helps that it was all documented in the history books/manuals, but tv shows and movies often tend to fudge up technical stuff like this, hoping the audience would buy into it anyway.

Props team really went all out too, those computers must've been out of some tech museum, it can't be easy/cheap to source tech that old in working condition. It all looks really legit to me.

I really want to watch the behind the scenes segment for this particular episode if they ever release it on Bluray later on.

Amazing episode.

The showrunners got the the ARPANET exposition to Philip downpat. Of course it helps that it was all documented in the history books/manuals, but tv shows and movies often tend to fudge up technical stuff like this, hoping the audience would buy into it anyway.

Props team really went all out too, those computers must've been out of some tech museum, it can't be easy/cheap to source tech that old in working condition. It all looks really legit to me.

I really want to watch the behind the scenes segment for this particular episode if they ever release it on Bluray later on.
I will wager they were mock ups with blinking lights.

Tonight on The Americans: Phillip goes undercover as James McAvoy as Charles Xavier from X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Lucia's gonna pull some wild card shit at the worst possible moment.

And what are you doing, Nina?
Reveling in her bump to series regular! Her storyline has been pretty fascinating thus far, but really the show is just firing on all cylinders right now.

Reveling in her bump to series regular! Her storyline has been pretty fascinating thus far, but really the show is just firing on all cylinders right now.

It's funny how important Nina's storyline is and yet Liz en Phillip never interacted with her. All the characters operate from a different level of knowledge and it's fascinating to see.

Another good episode, show is really on a roll this season. It's funny how painful watching Stan is now becoming for me, by god, man, wake the hell up!!

One little thing, did my ears deceive me or did Philip say that Camaro had 300 and something horsepower? Not in the early 80s, they'd be lucky if the car was pushing 200.

Philip is back with the Rust Cohle disguise!

Another very good episode, fun to see a show that was solid in its first season realize its potential in the second.

I think Philip talking about killing the kid was pretty telling. I get the sense that he may see himself as a killer more than an agent for a cause he truly believes in at times. It's a very interesting character trait, especially contrasted against Elizabeth who seems to have no doubts or hesitations about what she does this for.

- Matt Zoller Seitz on last night's episode

EPlyv5a.jpg

It's funny how important Nina's storyline is and yet Liz en Phillip never interacted with her. All the characters operate from a different level of knowledge and it's fascinating to see.

Not sure if these are spoilers (I'm just speculating here based on this very same episode), but I have a feeling they might just meet up eventually. After she "passed" the lie detector test she mentioned to Stan that she's about to get the go ahead to become direct part of the KGB's illegals program.

May not happen for quite a while though. I mean I don't even think we've seen our leading couple interact with any the Rezidentura staff directly before. Almost everything is delegated and compartmentalized via the use of hard to link intermediaries for maximum deniability.

I'm still hoping they reveal what went down when he was working undercover as a white supremacist.

selfavatarquote.jpg

I totally forgot about that. Nothing seems to be going right for the guy. I want him to have a triumphant day or something. But not at Phillip and Elizabeth's expense. Because reasons!

Linius

I like it when they imply things but don't show them explicitly. Nice shot of him rolling the trash out.

If it were HBO we would have gotten a very messy scene there :p

But damn Philip lurking out from the dark there was creepy, I feel for the boy who left his wallet :(

And of course another good episode.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I loved the ep, but I had the exact opposite reaction. I knew she would pass, so I found that scene really dull.

I mean, it was obvious that she wasn't going to be caught, so it wasn't tense in that sense, but I thought Annet Mahendru sold the hell out of that scene and she did a great job at making me feel what she was feeling, if that makes sense.

I mean, it was obvious that she wasn't going to be caught, so it wasn't tense in that sense, but I thought Annet Mahendru sold the hell out of that scene and she did a great job at making me feel what she was feeling, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I'll agree with that--the acting was incredible.

Yeah, in episode one he was totally all on to Phil and Liz and all up in their grill and now he's all "I JUST WANT TO FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK".

Yeah, in episode one he was totally all on to Phil and Liz and all up in their grill and now he's all "I JUST WANT TO FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK".

Nina's nerfed him badly, the situation at home with his estranged wife doesn't help either.. Also recall that he fucked up with the Russian diplomat (revenge for death of his partner), which led to the Senate committee(?) hearing and the subsequent reassignment of his boss.

Things have been all out of sorts for him since then.

Kadayi

Banned
Good episode. Tense stuff. I loved Phil just quietly raging at Duluth over his incompetence and that sense of how disillusioned he's become at all the killing. You've gotta think Phil is well into the double figures by now after all this time on the job.

New episode tonight:
New Car

Philip and Elizabeth both find themselves faced with painful turns in their various missions; Stan fights to gain access to an American military program.
The episode will run about 20 minutes past the hour tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom