• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S2 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
That was a pretty good episode. Some really heavy themes going around, a lot to sift through. The main thing I think we're seeing is the concept of compartmentalization and why they have to do it.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Great episode. From Liz and Phillip to Lucia and Carl. Nina bailed out of that situation about as ungracefully as possible.

Watching the episode now, why is it so dark when Stan is eating dinner with the fam lol.

Whoooop dat ass shot it was worf it.

edit: damn great episode.

This show man. One way or another, tit will weave it's ways into and around history. Reagan overlooking sexual acts or Arpanet and the discovery of the Internet. Love what they're doing with their integration into history.

I've got to give it to Matthew and Keri. In one episode they get to display such a varied range of emotion, either as a faux married couple, a role playing couple or agents in disguise. There's a ton of chemistry there and I can see why they're drawn to each other off the screen.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Nice to see Lee Tergesen on a good show.

Oh Phillip, you really should have put a little effort into resisting Elizabeth's misguided curiosity. That could have been less painful for everyone if you used your words.

Granny, what did you do?!

Yet another brilliant worldbuilding episode, bravo.

It was heavily focused on the interplay two leads, which was an added bonus.

I though it was kinda odd that Liz wanted try "that" out considering her past (early KGB training, if I remember correctly) which was covered quite extensively during the earlier portion of Season 1.

Why do I feel like Claudia killed them and is now after Philip and Elizabeth ?

Also, good episode (although I liked it less than the previous ones, but completely redeemed by DAT ASS)

Linius

Pfoe, dat ass. Dat latina. Dat everything.

But really, just another great episode. Awesome wigs too obviously. I wonder if the latina will stick around, I feel like she could grow to be a stone cold spy. She needs to learn a bit more from Elizabeth for now though.

I really liked the episode, but I am wary about the idea the Soviets didn't know about ARPANET.

Unless they failed spectacularly, and somehow couldn't recruit one damn computer scientist in any major university. It wouldn't be too hard.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just got a chance to watch. Another solid episode. The contrast between Phillip tenderly pulling off Elizabeth's boot at the beginning to that scene in the hotel room...good stuff. Thought Noah Emmerich was great at portraying Stan as completely lost in this episode too.

Blader

Elizabeth laying on the bed completely naked while Phillip is completely dressed was about as gratuitous a shot I've ever seen. :lol

Dan

I though it was kinda odd that Liz wanted try "that" out considering her past (early KGB training, if I remember correctly) which was covered quite extensively during the earlier portion of Season 1.

Curiosity killed the cat. I don't think that was what she was expecting. More assertive/leading/dominant (not in a BDSM fashion) rather than rough and subjugating.

It's also even more unfortunate that this is kind of a bad game of sexual telephone. What Martha/Clark's sex life is actually like -> how Martha describes it -> how Elizabeth interprets that -> what Phillip thinks Elizabeth thinks -> that plus Phillip's anger and frustration over the whole scenario

Elizabeth laying on the bed completely naked while Phillip is completely dressed was about as gratuitous a shot I've ever seen. :lol

Eh, I think you could defend it as thematically appropriate. She's laying herself relatively bare to Phillip, both physically and emotionally. I'll let Genevieve Koski (AV Club) expand on that:

Only in this scene, she’s totally naked and at ease, lying stretched out and face-down next to a fully clothed Philip. (Contrast that with the later shot, where she’s curled in a ball sobbing, and Philip is gone.) The Americans gets more than its share of gratuitous and not-so-gratuitous nudity into most episodes, but this falls squarely in the latter camp for me, mainly because it reflects that intimacy you’re talking about, Todd. Elizabeth is exposing herself to Philip here in so many ways, not even thinking about how she could get hurt by doing so, because she knows he wouldn’t hurt her—which makes the fact that he ultimately does, with her encouragement, all the more devastating.

I really liked the episode, but I am wary about the idea the Soviets didn't know about ARPANET.

Unless they failed spectacularly, and somehow couldn't recruit one damn computer scientist in any major university. It wouldn't be too hard.

I think it's the difference between old school Arkady with his seduction, blackmail and ideological methods and Oleg who sees the future of intelligence gathering.

(and by seduction I mean the methods of his agents, not Arkady himself)

Dan

I think it's the difference between old school Arkady with his seduction, blackmail and ideological methods and Oleg who sees the future of intelligence gathering.

(and by seduction I mean the methods of his agents, not Arkady himself)

Arkady not being immediately familiar with ARPANET also doesn't mean the Soviets didn't know about it. There's still a whole massive organization above him, and as with everyone in the spy game, they're only told what they need to know when they need to know it.

Rehynn

Lesser shows would have done the Congressional aide's death the way the latina spy imagined it would go down: slow, subtle and ultimately romantic. Not The Americans though.

Another great episode.

FX hired Pete Townshend to write an original song for the show. It'll be on the April 30th episode.
Pete Townshend has written his first original song for a television show, composing and performing "It Must Be Done" for FX's "The Americans" with the show's composer Nathan Barr. It will appear in the episode airing April 30.

Question about the last episode..
When Philip and Elizabeth had the meeting with the naval guy..at the end of the conversation did anyone get the impression that when he said "i guess ill report to you now" he was saying oh you guys are KGB and you know my secret.

But then later in the episode when they catch him in the alleyway he's surprised that they arent CIA.

Tamanon

Banned
Question about the last episode..
When Philip and Elizabeth had the meeting with the naval guy..at the end of the conversation did anyone get the impression that when he said "i guess ill report to you now" he was saying oh you guys are KGB and you know my secret.

But then later in the episode when they catch him in the alleyway he's surprised that they arent CIA.

He probably assumed they were turning him into a double agent like Nina(or is that triple agent), where they would want him to still cooperate with the KGB but report it to them.

Of interest from Deadline:

- FX & FXX To Double Their Original Output, ‘The Americans’ Nears Season 3 Renewal
FX Networks had been ramping up development, with some dozen pilots ordered in the past year. It is part of a major original expansion. At an upfront press event in New York, FX Networks CEO John Landgraf said that the company will go up from 11 originals to 20 across FX and FXX. On the renewal front, a formal third season renewal of The Americans is expected soon, he said. “We look forward to it being on our schedule for quite some time,” he said, later adding that he was “confident in the (show’s) long-term prospect.” Landgraf and his team will wait for the seasons of Legit and Chosen to end before making a decision on their future but that would be coming soon. Landgraf also touted the new season of Louie as being “amazing” and upcoming limited series Fargo as being “so good, I can’t close the door” on another installment. “If it comes back, it will once again be located in North Dakota or Minnesota but telling a different story with different characters.” However, “the bar is high, it has to be an extraordinarily good story.” Event series like Fargo will remain on flagship channel FX for the foreseeable future, at least for the next two years. While FX Networks’ plans for rebranded FXM had included theatrical movies as well as miniseries and limited series,”you want (limited series) to be seen by as many people as possible,” Landgraf said. “I want them eventually repostitioned on FXM but they will be incubated on FX.” He used the example of FXX, which started with established series before getting to premiere its first new show, the Tracy Morgan comedy, in January 2015, a year and a half after the channel’s launch. Landgraf called producing 10-90 comedy series at twice the pace of a network sitcom “a daunting challenge,” and while the model is yet to produce a hit for the network, it provides “a lot of original programming at a very attractive price,” that makes up for the dearth of off-network offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom