• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amiga's gaming legacy is pretty amazing when you think about it

lionagony

Well, the Jaguar was also released before DOOM and it could handle it pretty well. Though i'm not sure what you are arguing here. Isn't a band new console supposed to handle new games that get released shortly after? Is it supposed to only handle old, exiting games from older systems? I don't think any new system has ever been released with that logic in mind. You buy a new console to play new games, that's how it always has been.

I just meant that the CD32 was designed and released before the explosion of 3D gaming that came after Doom. Not that there weren't hints of it's arrival with the 3DO coming and Mode 7 and Sega CD scaling etc. Obviously with proper management Commodore would have foreseen that change better and like I said before had a next gen system out much earlier. The Amiga planar technology wasn't well suited to 3D so that should have been addressed and was to a degree with the Akiko chip but that wasn't enough for what was around the corner in 3D.

Not to disparage any system because they each had good games, the Jaguar was powerful, the 3DO was good (ex Amiga engineers) and the Sega CD was first. However, the CD32 and AGA had some distinct advantages, 64 wide - infinite height sprites, 24 bit color, sub pixel scrolling, HAM8, high res modes, a good quality 2x CD drive, Video CD playback with the MPEG module and the ability to expand the CD32 into an A1200 computer. Not to mention the original Amiga advantages of the copper and the blitter. AGA and the CD32 should have been more powerful at launch but it's a testament to how far ahead and advanced the original Amiga chipset was that there were strong commercial games out for it until Worms DC in 1997 and then a strong homebrew scene for the last 10 years or so. Since Commodore died so soon after AGA it never got pushed to its limits as much as it should. Upcoming games like Grind and Boss Machine and Hyperborea will further flaunt its potential.

Top Bottom