• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
FStop7 said:
I used to have an AP1, it still may be my favorite out of all the cars I've owned.

I love my AP1. As much as I like the AP2's (and the AP2 stuff I put on my AP1), the AP1's engine is far more satisfying to me. The 9k RPM redline and peaky nature make for a very fun drive. How long ago did you have your AP1?

J-Rzez

reilo said:
Thoughts on new M5? I think it doesn't look half-bad, minus a few here and there asymmetry issues.

Looks boring. I know it's a M5, I know their pedigree, I just think this can use a bit more flash.

BoobPhysics101 said:
I can get an AP2 bumper from my friend for $80. Then I'll just need to spend $150-200 repainting it. Amuse bumpers go for $1300-1500, the replicas go for $300-400. That's unpainted.

Ok, you've inspired me to finally post pics of my car. I just took these a little while ago.

AP2 mang! For the difference in price and style combined, AP2 all the way.

Looks awesome btw, need profile and front photos too! I love the fact that you put a hardtop on it, my love for softops is sparse.

33-Hit-Combo said:
AP2 mang! For the difference in price and style combined, AP2 all the way.

Looks awesome btw, need profile and front photos too! I love the fact that you put a hardtop on it, my love for softops is sparse.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too!

Thanks man. Um profile as in side profile? Here's a shitty pic with the wrong angle, but it kinda gives you an idea. Yeah, I got an amazing deal on the hardtop so I had to jump on it. I actually don't have a soft-top anymore. That being said, the S2k is one of the few cars that looks amazing with a soft top.

I'll get front pics after I get the bumper replaced...

2011-04-08-16-22-31-648.jpg

I'm going to be using my tax refund (should it ever arrive) on a down payment for a new Chevy Malibu.

I've been driving a 2000 Chevy S-10 since high school. I'm 24 now and with a real job, it's time for a real car.

Will post pics once I've gotten it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BertramCooper said:
I'm going to be using my tax refund (should it ever arrive) on a down payment for a new Chevy Malibu.

I've been driving a 2000 Chevy S-10 since high school. I'm 24 now and with a real job, it's time for a real car.

You should test drive a Ford Fusion and a Mazda 6 too.

OuterWorldVoice said:
You should test drive a Ford Fusion and a Mazda 6 too.
I've tried out Fusions, and they are definitely great cars. But I personally prefer the Malibu. I've had my heart set on one for about a year now, so I'm 99% certain that I'm going with it.

Might test drive a 6, too, just for fun.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
My girlfriend got herself a Zipcar, and the closest one to us is a Honda Insight Hybrid. I hated every single design choice about it.

I understand it's an A-to-B car, fuel efficient, and what not, but the entire car feels cheap and the interior is godawful. It's made out of bad ugly plastic, the ambiance and the two-tone interior mash-up of a greyish blue and medium grey is an eye-sore, all of the buttons feel cheap, the brushed aluminum look in particular spots is gaudy, and the stylistic choice to separate almost every piece of interface into its own components make it feel like a bad mashup of different console pieces from different cars. For example, the HVAC controls to turn the AC on/off and to control the fan speed are a separate unit from the temperature controls. They're within an inch or two of each, but it still feels like two separate pieces of interface.

Also, there's some severe visibility issues with the design of the hatchback and the split bar obstructing the view. It feels terribly long at the front because of the egg shape of the windshield being at such a steep angle, which makes you feel like there was too much head and leg room sacrificed to get that shape working.

I didn't get an amazing feel of how the car drove since I was a passenger, but it wasn't too terribly exciting considering it's a 98HP car, and that's fine. Still, at an entry MSRP of $18.5-23.5k and it's modest 40MPG average, it's not a terribly exciting car for the money.

ascii42

BertramCooper said:

Cool, I have a 2010 Malibu LT with the I-4. I really like it. I think the Cocoa/Cashmere interior sold me on it. Occasionally I wish I had the LTZ with the V6, but the rest of the time, I enjoy the fuel economy. The 4 cylinder gets around just fine. What are you getting?

DasRaven

33-Hit-Combo said:
Random question (open to Americans), how common is it to buy cars outright from dealers?

Something like 1 in 4 cars are bought outright new from a dealer.
Slightly more than that are bought outright used from a dealer, say 30%.

ascii42

33-Hit-Combo said:
So do people get cars on finance quite a lot? Thanks
Around 70% of people finance their cars. These days, it's fairly easy to get low interest rates. Sometimes manufacturers will run a 0% financing deal. In that scenario, it's better to finance, even if you have the money, since you can put it into the bank and earn interest.

reilo

RJNavarrete said:
Had my sister take a couple pics of my SS Saturday evenin

Bonus shot :]

5yI8u.jpg

You couldn't be more of a cliche if you tried!

Camaro, Hollister, Smug Smile, and Lakers fan?

lol just busting your balls

Pterion

Pterion said:
So my boss is a car fanatic, and apparently used to own a british ''super'' car. It's not a noble or a Mclaren F1. The car was still produced in 2005 apparently, and is the ultimate mechanic's dream. Any guesses? I don't think he's lying to me at all by the way.

This game is torturing me...

P.S. He's getting a R8 later this year, and he's cool enough to consider me for an eventual drive. :p
Bentley Coupe GT is the answer.

33-Hit-Combo said:
Ossum. Is this after the coilovers were installed?

Random question (open to Americans), how common is it to buy cars outright from dealers?

Yeah, this was a couple of days ago. I've had the KW V3's on for about a month and a half now. Incredible coilovers, ride better than stock but their handling is out of this world. Can take most corners a good 20-30 MPH faster than stock with little trouble. They're overkill for the street, but ride comfortably enough that daily driving in them is comfy.

Most people finance. I paid cash for my S2K from a private party, dealers are usually a rip-off.

kagete said:
Oh me oh my, I just bought this crossover 2 weeks ago. I hope you did your research because this is definitely not for everyone. It's basically a jacked up lancer, which is exactly why I bought it. It's a CVT, which takes getting used to as the engine makes the most noise going from 0 to 20. From 20 to 90 mph it isn't noticeable.

The CX-7 is easy to buy, check truecar.com to get an idea of how big a chunk you can take off the sticker price in your area. You can probably get $2,500 off easy from a CX7. The Nissan Rogue is its other primary competitor and probably the closest to it in size and utility (also has a CVT, and I think both are JATCO branded). Nissans are the easiest cars to buy as they have a ton of incentives. You can easily get $3,000 off sticker on a Rogue with only a few emails. I was heavily cross-shopping these 3 options before buying the Sport because of its looks and modern features. I got it down to $1,300 lower than the supposed invoice price. All paid-for car buying services I looked into only guaranteed going $500 below invoice so I think my haggling skills leveled up.

The Sportage looks great but the rear looks terrible for me and the visibility is sucky. Ride is harsh too. It also performed poorly in my standard "jackhammer-smash on the dash" test where I pound all the plastic parts in a car with my fist to see if they shake or creak. The Mitsu, Nissan, and CRV are ace in this test.

Note that if you're shopping the current model year RAV4, you're technically in a different category. In that slightly larger size and price range you should be cross shopping the RAV4 with the CRV, Equinox/Terrain, and Sorento (purely because you can get these for CHEAP).

Strangely enough, my family is one of the mythical Mitsubishi families. When we were hard up for cash we sold our Honda and Ford (mostly because of the better resale) and kept our old Mitsus. We still have a '91 Mitsubishi L300 van and my lowered '95 L200 pickup running great after all these years. The only items that needed changing over the years were belts and airconditioning compressors. PM me if you have detailed questions or we can talk about it on the thread.

IMG_20110405_181118.jpg

Thanks for the write up. Good perspective.

Does anyone have an Altima Coupe? My dad was looking for more of a Honda Accord Coupe, but I was trying to look around at the Altima.

killertofu said:
Thanks for the write up. Good perspective.

Does anyone have an Altima Coupe? My dad was looking for more of a Honda Accord Coupe, but I was trying to look around at the Altima.
The Accord coupe has more style. The Altima just looks like a wannabe G35/37.

Enron

Banned
doitlive said:
The Accord coupe has more style. The Altima just looks like a wannabe G35/37.

I agree, until you get around to the rear end of the Accord Coupe.

uuuuuuuuuggghhhhhhh.

Even if the Altima coupe is trying to mimic the Gs, I like that Nissan is attempting to fill the void in the line left by the 240sx. Too bad its still fwd.

/former 240sx driver

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Enron said:
I agree, until you get around to the rear end of the Accord Coupe.

uuuuuuuuuggghhhhhhh.

Even if the Altima coupe is trying to mimic the Gs, I like that Nissan is attempting to fill the void in the line left by the 240sx. Too bad its still fwd.

/former 240sx driver

You're talking about the rear end of the Accord Coupe...yet somehow dismissing the disaster of the Altima Coupe?

Seriously?

1611928461_aeefeb99ea.jpg

They're both hideous cars.

reilo

Nobody buys Honda Accords/Civics or Nissan Altimas/Maximas/Sentras because they care about the way a car looks. Sorry.

Enron

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
You're talking about the rear end of the Accord Coupe...yet somehow dismissing the disaster of the Altima Coupe?

Seriously?

The Accord coupe rear is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse to me than the Altima's.

pj

Banned
AlphaSnake said:

Seriously?

Jesus christ, whoever designed that car is deathly afraid of rear end collisions

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
Nobody buys Honda Accords/Civics or Nissan Altimas/Maximas/Sentras because they care about the way a car looks. Sorry.

When it comes to coupes...you'd be so surprised how many girls and the uninformed bunch think they look "cool".

Enron

Banned
BloodySinner said:

Aaaaaaand this is why I am never buying a car from a dealership. Ever. When I was shopping around for my lastest car, I did not like the way I was treated by any dealer I stopped at. At every one, I felt as if something was wrong. The most obvious one was at a Nissan dealer in metro atlanta, when I looked at a g37 coupe first, and then asked if I could check out one of the 350zs but they magically "couldn't find the keys". I walked into the office with him and told him id give him my email in case they got anything I was looking for, and he started asking all kinds of questions to which I did not want to answer. Then another guy came in and tried to get the same info out of me, i assume he was the high-pressure guy. This went on for about 5 minutes because I was trying to be polite, but eventually i just lost it and I told both of them they were just getting my email and that was it, and even then I probably wasn't going to respond because now im fucking pissed off and there was no fucking way in hell they were getting anything more than my first name and an email. I did get a bit abusive and got a snarky remark out of the first sales guy. I promptly told him to go to hell and got the fuck out of there.

There are other ways to get auto financing if I'm not paying cash. Fuck dealers and their finance companies right in the face.

Dealerships are the worst places to buy a car.

I do not like the look of alot of new cars, and I hate alot of new cars because of how hard it is to work on them yourselves now.

If you battery dies on your 2006+ BMW be prepared to take it into the dealer for 400 dollars to they can introduce a new battery to the ECU.

Oh fuck off.

Old cars for life.

AlphaSnake

TheFuryMGS3 said:
Yeah, from time to time. Love the 370's, can't beat a lighter quicker car.

Yeah. Don't be fooled, though, it's only lighter by about 50lbs - and not the excess amount Nissan claimed.

Here's a pic of my old car:
XwvUD.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom