• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Oh my god, my local bank that I already have a loan with is offering 3.49% APR on used vehicles.... I will be a good boy and not contemplate a new vehicle -- although I could do it even easier if my car was to do a tradein. But I like the security of a AWD four-door as a daily driver.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Pterion said:
Hmm, I'm not looking for a heated debate about this, but I thought getting a 335xi sedan was a better financial decision compared to a similarly equipped Audi S4 last year. Audi has horrible leasing and financing rates, and I wasn't ballin' enough to drop 60k straight to the car dealer's bank account. Audis are generally overpriced imo. Only the S4 and A4 are reasonably priced imo. TTRS, RS4, RS6, RS5, R8, etc are overpriced compared to the competition.

And really S5 over M3? :lol:

Who would take an S5 over M3?

Halvie

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
Agreed x100. A 335i can be had for dirt cheap, with a warranty, and modded to insane power levels for NOTHING. The suspension is good too, so it handles well even with extra power. 135i/335i would be my choice for a daily driver that's also used to rape 99% of other cars. Only cars that'd spank your ass would be C6 Corvettes.

I am pretty sure with a menial amount of money they would walk any c6 vette. I can try and find the fucking video again (always use this video for 135/335 arguments on other forums) that shows a stage 2+ 335 destroying a 500whp GTI and walking a lightly modded c63 (high 10 1/4 car). Can't imagine it would have that much trouble with a stock c6 z06.

Pterion said:
Hmm, I'm not looking for a heated debate about this, but I thought getting a 335xi sedan was a better financial decision compared to a similarly equipped Audi S4 last year. Audi has horrible leasing and financing rates, and I wasn't ballin' enough to drop 60k straight to the car dealer's. Audis are generally overpriced imo. I think only the S4 and A4 are reasonably priced. TTRS, RS4, RS6, RS5, R8, etc are overpriced compared to the competition.

And really S5 over M3? :lol To each their own I guess.

As expensive as the tt-rs is (I get it...55-60k is a lot for a TT) I guess I don't see how it is really all that overpriced. sub 4 second 0-60 and 11 second 1/4 is pretty impressive for $55k. Also considering it is what another $1k away from an extra 140hp?
Hopefully the new RS4 puts up a better fight against the m3. s5 really isn't the car that should be directly compared to it.

ecnal

Halvie said:
I am pretty sure with a menial amount of money they would walk any c6 vette. I can try and find the fucking video again (always use this video for 135/335 arguments on other forums) that shows a stage 2+ 335 destroying a 500whp GTI and walking a lightly modded c63 (high 10 1/4 car). Can't imagine it would have that much trouble with a stock c6 z06.

As expensive as the tt-rs is (I get it...55-60k is a lot for a TT) I guess I don't see how it is really all that overpriced. sub 4 second 0-60 and 11 second 1/4 is pretty impressive for $55k. Also considering it is what another $1k away from an extra 140hp?
Hopefully the new RS4 puts up a better fight against the m3. s5 really isn't the car that should be directly compared to it.

real talk.

i would kill for an RS4 avant...

i would also kill for a C63 or M3 estate. fuck the rest of you guys hatin' on wagons and scaring all these euro car companies from releasing beastly wagons in the states

Halvie said:
I am pretty sure with a menial amount of money they would walk any c6 vette. I can try and find the fucking video again (always use this video for 135/335 arguments on other forums) that shows a stage 2+ 335 destroying a 500whp GTI and walking a lightly modded c63 (high 10 1/4 car). Can't imagine it would have that much trouble with a stock c6 z06

So a 335i heavily modded will beat a stock Z06? Uh... maybe. Aren't they around the same price? How about this: a lightly modded Z06 (just basic bolt-ons) will absolutely rape a 335i Stage 2. A 335i would have to be pushing almost double its stock horsepower (at least 500 whp) to keep up with a stock Z06.

Don't forget that the Z06 is 3200~ lbs with 450~ whp. The 335i is 3600+ lbs. That's a big weight difference.

The TT-RS isn't an 11 second car. It's in the 12's. And it isn't a sub-4 second car.

Not in the US, at least. It only comes in stick in the US, not DSG. The DSG version is the one that hits 12.1 in the quarter and 3.6 0-60.

The stick version hits 0-60 in the high 4's and I'm pretty sure the quarter mile time is substantially higher as well.

ecnal said:
real talk.

i would kill for an RS4 avant...

i would also kill for a C63 or M3 estate. fuck the rest of you guys hatin' on wagons and scaring all these euro car companies from releasing beastly wagons in the states

CTS-V Wagon = Corvette wagon

reilo said:
I recently rewatched the Top Gear episode where they tried to kill the Toyota Hulix, and in the same episode they tested the RX-8. My jaw was on the floor when I realized that the RX-8 matched the E46 M3's time on the Top Gear test track.

Dreams-Visions said:
a Mazda RX-8? I thought those things topped off at like 250hp? must be a really light car.

reilo said:
The version they tested was quoted at 226HP. The car has epically bad torque numbers -- 159 at 5500RPM. But the car weighs 3000lbs and revs to 9k RPM. Still, the fact that it was even in contention was unbelievable to me.

The RX-8 is such garbage, especially compared to the RX-7. It's just an ugly, weak-sauce S2000 with backseats. The chassis and suspension are great, but that rotary engine is horrific. Mazda lied about the horsepower numbers, they're actually like 220 bhp, and they dyno like 160-170 whp. The automatics only have 180 bhp, so they're dynoing like 120-130 whp.

The RX-8 would've been incredible with a Mazdaspeed 3 engine. It'll never be a classic like the S2000 or RX-7. Fuckin' Mazda squandered all of its potential.

Dreams-Visions said:
CTS-V doesn't get enough love. at $63k practically loaded out, 556HP and 551ft-lbs torque.

srysly.

The CTS-V is Chevy's siren song to anyone who wants a Corvette but can't cause they have a family: 'Guess what bitches, the Corvette has four doors now. We just call it a CTS-V instead of a Corvette sedan. You can still get groceries while leaving tire marks 200 ft long at stoplights."

Halvie

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
The TT-RS isn't an 11 second car. It's in the 12's. And it isn't a sub-4 second car.

Not in the US, at least. It only comes in stick in the US, not DSG. The DSG version is the one that hits 12.1 in the quarter and 3.6 0-60.

The stick version hits 0-60 in the high 4's and I'm pretty sure the quarter mile time is substantially higher as well.

Aren't we getting a decent power bump? Closer to 400hp?

Pterion

akachan ningen said:
I hate the newer M3's interior. The E46 had a godly interior and they downgraded big time for the E90.
Strongly disagree.

Halvie said:
As expensive as the tt-rs is (I get it...55-60k is a lot for a TT) I guess I don't see how it is really all that overpriced.
The new 1m is cheaper and just as fast and fun according to a few car magazines. But I'd personally take a TTRS over it. So sexy!

BoobPhysics101 said:
The RX-8 is such garbage, especially compared to the RX-7. It's just an ugly, weak-sauce S2000 with backseats. The chassis and suspension are great, but that rotary engine is horrific. Mazda lied about the horsepower numbers, they're actually like 220 bhp, and they dyno like 160-170 whp. The automatics only have 180 bhp, so they're dynoing like 120-130 whp.

The RX-8 would've been incredible with a Mazdaspeed 3 engine. It'll never be a classic like the S2000 or RX-7. Fuckin' Mazda squandered all of its potential.

I like the RX-8, but yeah, it is totally underpowered. If the rumor's are correct then the RX-9 will address those issues, but then again, that car is the equivalent of Duke Nukem.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dreams-Visions said:
no objection to the 3 series interior here.

ymmv.

I think the M3 is a taut, quick, beautifully made and attractive car. I think the S5 is a ferocious, exciting, attractive car. I like the interiors on both. The fact that there would be incredulity about someone choosing an S5 over the M3 is FUCKING BIZARRE.

Cars aren't about math, logic, or stats. They're about feelings. If somebody can't understand that a poised, handsome AWD S5 would be more appealing than the completely different (and equally worthy) M3 then I am the one who's incredulous.

Pterion

Alright, the S5 is a sweet GT car.

Anyways, I'm really interested in the next gen Lexus ISF. The 2011 version has similar performance to a M3, and the legendary reliability of a Lexus. Only reasons I'm not considering one right is because of finances and new model being not that far away.

AlphaSnake

BoobPhysics101 said:
So a 335i heavily modded will beat a stock Z06? Uh... maybe. Aren't they around the same price? How about this: a lightly modded Z06 (just basic bolt-ons) will absolutely rape a 335i Stage 2. A 335i would have to be pushing almost double its stock horsepower (at least 500 whp) to keep up with a stock Z06.

Don't forget that the Z06 is 3200~ lbs with 450~ whp. The 335i is 3600+ lbs. That's a big weight difference.

US version gets more horsepower, though.

Add an ECU and you get 450HP from that alone. Strap on some bolt-ons, you've got 500HP in a car that weighs 3100lbs. You'd end up spending a total of $75k and have a car that can ape many supercars.

Edit: And while I do know that tuned 335is can hang with Vettes...this is at a major cost in reliability. I do not know a single person with a 135i or 335i who pushed the numbers of their BMW and didn't end up A) Blowing the turbo/turbos, B) Killing the fuel pump, C) Killing the motor, D) Any combination of the past 3

Sure, you'll have a pretty fast car, but that fun won't last long. One of the guys who comes to my weekly car meet (NYC guys contact me if you'd like to join) ran his 335i with a Vishnu V3 - and really pushed those turbos. He was killing M3s and Vettes left and right, until his motor and tranny blew.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I think the M3 is a taut, quick, beautifully made and attractive car. I think the S5 is a ferocious, exciting, attractive car. I like the interiors on both. The fact that there would be incredulity about someone choosing an S5 over the M3 is FUCKING BIZARRE.
but they're 2 different performing cars with very different target audiences and price points.

A well-equipped S5 is going to run you ~$60k and give you approximately the performance of a 335i. a well-equipped M3 is going to run you about $73k (about 22% more) and give you a 414hp engine and serious sportscar performance.

If you're looking to spend ~$75k, I just don't think you're looking to buy into S5 performance or style. But if you are, I respect that. Whatever pleases you, you know?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dreams-Visions said:
but they're 2 different performing cars with very different target audiences and price points.

A well-equipped S5 is going to run you ~$60k and give you approximately the performance of a 335i. a well-equipped M3 is going to run you about $73k (about 22% more) and give you a 414hp engine and serious sportscar performance.

If you're looking to spend ~$75k, I just don't think you're looking to buy into S5 performance or style. But if you are, I respect that. Whatever pleases you, you know?

For $75k, I'd rather spend the money getting an A7 tricked out VIP style.

Black rims, black brightwork, slight tint. Fucking lace doilies.

YEAH!

AlphaSnake

Dreams-Visions said:

I simply can't wait until the Supercharged S5 Coupe arrives in the states already. Fuck that convertible BS. The SCed S5 will definitely spark a number of tuner-minded folk jumping ship from BMWs to Audis.

OuterWorldVoice said:
For $75k, I'd rather spend the money getting an A7 tricked out VIP style.

Black rims, black brightwork, slight tint. Fucking lace doilies.

YEAH!
now you're talkin.

AlphaSnake said:
I simply can't wait until the Supercharged S5 Coupe arrives in the states already. Fuck that convertible BS. The SCed S5 will definitely spark a number of tuner-minded folk jumping ship from BMWs to Audis.
I too dislike the cabrio version of the S5/A5. takes away from the beautiful sculpted, curve of the top.

then again, there are very few cars that I like a soft top look on. I'd like to see Audi do a hard top convertible. I bet that would look nice.

AlphaSnake

Dreams-Visions said:
now you're talkin.

I too dislike the cabrio version of the S5/A5. takes away from the beautiful sculpted, curve of the top.

then again, there are very few cars that I like a soft top look on. I'd like to see Audi do a hard top convertible. I bet that would look nice.

Absolutely.

I think the C6 Vette is one of the few convertibles I can stand. And almost any Ferrari and Lambo.

Astons look decent too, but their coupe profiles should never be fucked with, so I wouldn't take an Aston 'vert either.

doitlive said:
I like the RX-8, but yeah, it is totally underpowered. If the rumor's are correct then the RX-9 will address those issues, but then again, that car is the equivalent of Duke Nukem.

The RX-9 would be fucking awesome... if it isn't a rotary. Rotary blows so hard for 99% of people.

ecnal said:
i've thought about pulling the trigger on a CTS-V wagon since it came out...

still can't bring myself to get one.

I'd rather spend $20k-25k on a gently used older CTS-V. Those are really affordable now.

AlphaSnake said:
US version gets more horsepower, though.

Add an ECU and you get 450HP from that alone. Strap on some bolt-ons, you've got 500HP in a car that weighs 3100lbs. You'd end up spending a total of $75k and have a car that can ape many supercars.

Edit: And while I do know that tuned 335is can hang with Vettes...this is at a major cost in reliability. I do not know a single person with a 135i or 335i who pushed the numbers of their BMW and didn't end up A) Blowing the turbo/turbos, B) Killing the fuel pump, C) Killing the motor, D) Any combination of the past 3

Sure, you'll have a pretty fast car, but that fun won't last long. One of the guys who comes to my weekly car meet (NYC guys contact me if you'd like to join) ran his 335i with a Vishnu V3 - and really pushed those turbos. He was killing M3s and Vettes left and right, until his motor and tranny blew.

Yep, totally! Saying a Stage 2/3 whatever 335i can beat a Z06 is not only doubtful, but hilarious because the 335i will blow its own ass out far before a naturally aspirated LSx powered Z06 will.

You can daily drive a Z06 all day everyday, but even a stock 335i is on borrowed time.

To me, LSx engines > any forced induction powerplant. You can get the same power out of an LSx with less hassle than any forced induction setup I can think of... even the 2JZ doesn't compare.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
I certainly can't wait to test drive it. Have you driven the S4 with the 3.0T at all?

Viperbah

BoobPhysics101 said:
To me, LSx engines > any forced induction powerplant. You can get the same power out of an LSx with less hassle than any forced induction setup I can think of... even the 2JZ doesn't compare.

Most FI cars are going to make more peak hp mod for mod than any NA car (See 03-04 cobra, GN, GTR etc.)

reilo

2012-subaru-impreza-wagon.jpg

wtfisthisshit?

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-subaru-impreza-5-door/#4070726

ascii42

ecnal said:
i've thought about pulling the trigger on a CTS-V wagon since it came out...

still can't bring myself to get one.
I'm really hoping I win that OnStar Push to Win thing. That's my only hope at getting the Caddy Wagon.

reilo said:
Looks like the previous Impreza and the Pontiac Vibe got together. I don't think it's bad, at least it's more interesting than the sedan.

reilo

Dreams-Visions said:
when is this expected to arrive?
The new S4s already have the 3.0T engine. It's the S5 that is supposed to get it this fall.

something else interesting:

BMW (335)
bmwc.jpg

Audi (S5)
audi.jpg

-According to Edmunds "True Cost to Own" section.

Depreciation on those Audi's is a motherfucker. Lesson here: buy one-year used or a new one at the end of the model year. And even then, you're losing money. Damn @ the audi being worth damn near $12,000 less than the BMW after 5 years.

reilo said:
The new S4s already have the 3.0T engine. It's the S5 that is supposed to get it this fall.
hmmm...I don't think I'm willing to wait until the Fall. If I did, I'd also have to consider the C63 coupe, which will be out then.

ecnal

reilo said:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/2012-subaru-impreza-wagon.jpg[IMG]

wtfisthisshit?

[url]http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-subaru-impreza-5-door/#4070726[/url][/QUOTE]

KILL IT WITH FIRE.

bah321 said:
Most FI cars are going to make more peak hp mod for mod than any NA car (See 03-04 cobra, GN, GTR etc.)

Did you read what I posted? I never said that an LSx gets more whp mod for mod. I said that you can get about the same POWER (overall) out of an LSx with much less hassle than an FI car. An LS7 makes incredible gains with just bolt-ons, and even throwing in cams etc is a lot easier than modding most FI cars to handle more boost.

A 550-600 whp Z06 is going to be far easier to maintain and run than a 550-600 whp GTR.

Dreams-Visions said:
something else interesting:

BMW (335)
bmwc.jpg

Audi (S5)
audi.jpg

-According to Edmunds "True Cost to Own" section.

Depreciation on those Audi's is a motherfucker. Lesson here: buy one-year used or a new one at the end of the model year. And even then, you're losing money. Damn @ the audi being worth damn near $12,000 less than the BMW after 5 years.

hmmm...I don't think I'm willing to wait until the Fall. If I did, I'd also have to consider the C63 coupe, which will be out then.

I think the more interesting question is which one of those will still be running after 5 years?

YuriLowell said:
335i has terrible fuel pump problems.

Just buy a slightly used M3.

Fuck the 335.

An M3 would probably be just as expensive to maintain out of warranty. That M doesn't just stand for Motorsports...

But yeah, good luck having a 335i out of warranty. Just leave your credit card number on file with your local BMW dealership since they'll be seeing you so frequently...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom