• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viperbah

BoobPhysics101 said:
Did you read what I posted? I never said that an LSx gets more whp mod for mod. I said that you can get about the same POWER (overall) out of an LSx with much less hassle than an FI car. An LS7 makes incredible gains with just bolt-ons, and even throwing in cams etc is a lot easier than modding most FI cars to handle more boost.

A 550-600 whp Z06 is going to be far easier to maintain and run than a 550-600 whp GTR.

OK....I misunderstood your meaning, but I still only agree somewhat. It just depends on the FI car we are talking about.

LSX's are easy to mod and make power, I have had a few of them and still do..... but just a tune, pulley and exhaust on some FI cars can yield amazing results that don't effect reliability too much.

Pterion

doitlive said:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/20/new-york-2011-scion-fr-s-concept-is-friggin-really-sweet/
VZk3S.jpg

Looks pretty sweet, except for the diffuser.
hawtness

bah321 said:
OK....I misunderstood your meaning, but I still only agree somewhat. It just depends on the FI car we are talking about.

LSX's are easy to mod and make power, I have had a few of them and still do..... but just a tune, pulley and exhaust on some FI cars can yield amazing results that don't effect reliability too much.

The only car I can think of that might handle high whp levels with boost that compares to something like an LS7 (especially in terms of reliability) would be a 911 Turbo or GT2, maybe a 2JZ Supra MK IV.

Don't get me wrong, I love forced induction... but NA has its own special charm to it.

Car-GAF, I would like your thoughts on an idea I had today.

As much as I love how 'complete' my car has become over the last year of modding it, I find myself wondering if some of the stuff is excessive and perhaps just an expensive luxury which isn't worth the cost.

I have been toying with the thought of selling my carbon fiber hardtop and both of my Recaro Pole Position seats. I should be able to trade them for almost $3000 + stock S2000 seats + soft top assembly (i removed my entire soft top system).

I'm 21 years old and in college, and I'm starting to think that the hardtop + seats are mostly superficial, perhaps not worth their cost for the performance/luxury that they add. They reduce weight by about 100 lbs, add lower, more comfortable seating, and make the car more aerodynamic, not to mention sexy as hell. But is it worth thousands?

Appreciate any thoughts and perspectives.

Shawsie64 said:
Just got new Potenza RE050's on my evo.. it now handles like an evo should, very happy! :)

$1600 though for 4 tires :'(

As much as I like Potenzas... where the hell did you buy those? That's a huge rip-off! Especially considering you can get tires that have much better performance for $550-800.

Shawsie64

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
As much as I like Potenzas... where the hell did you buy those? That's a huge rip-off! Especially considering you can get tires that have much better performance for $550-800.

Cheapest qoute I could get here in Adelaide, Australia.. Got wheel alignments too and are 18's

HBP

Need some car advice. I currently have a gas guzzling 2wd truck, I am looking to sell it and get a car, I would prefer something a little sporty but don't have a lot to spend. AWD is a must, we have had some large snow the past few winters and I live in a culdesac that never gets plowed so there are times when I can't leave for two days because my truck won't go at all.

I tried finding an Impreza but it seems they are all old, a manual tranny, or barely used.

So i started coming across some Volvo S60 and Audi A4s for good prices, around 2002-2005 models, but how reliable are they as a higher mileage car? The ones I have been looking at are 80-100k miles?

Also interested in hearing about other AWD cars.

Iron_Scimitar said:
Has anyone driven an IS300? Im looking to upgrade from my 1999 Maxima. Impressions?

Yes... heavy, slow gas guzzler. Rare to find in stick, only fun when boosted, driving dynamics are lacking (too slow for straightline, too numb/heavy for spirited handling). Averages 18-21 mpg if I remember correctly, much worse than the IS350 which is also faster by 2 seconds in the quarter mile while still getting better mpg. One of the most disappointing cars Lexus has made.

If you want something similar yet classier, more fun and with almost 10 mpg more with better performance, look at a 2004-2006 Acura TSX.

robox

BoobPhysics101 said:
Car-GAF, I would like your thoughts on an idea I had today.

As much as I love how 'complete' my car has become over the last year of modding it, I find myself wondering if some of the stuff is excessive and perhaps just an expensive luxury which isn't worth the cost.

Appreciate any thoughts and perspectives.

you're modding a car. when the hell did it ever begin to make sense?
at least you're not dumping 30g's into a scooter or 200g's into a van
it's guys like those that make me feel better for only a splurging a bit here 'n there.

Iron_Scimitar said:
Has anyone driven an IS300? Im looking to upgrade from my 1999 Maxima. Impressions?
it's a POS. it was slightly popular because of the small Altezza craze that went around a few years ago but it was actually a terrible car.

tarius1210 said:
I heard that they're okay. Headliner is too low. Backseat is cramped. Quick as fuck though.

"Slow as fuck" would be more accurate. They run about a 15.5 in the quarter mile, roughly about as quick as a 4 cylinder Honda Accord.

r - b - x said:
you're modding a car. when the hell did it ever begin to make sense?
at least you're not dumping 30g's into a scooter or 200g's into a van
it's guys like those that make me feel better for only a splurging a bit here 'n there.

Yeah, I get you. It was really hard not to, though... I get great pricing on everything I buy, to the point where I'll make about $1k in profit if I sell the seats and hardtop + trade for stock stuff. That's really hard to resist, it's like getting paid to lease something.

Ovid

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
tarius1210 said:
Coming to college campus near you. That's why I would never consider getting this car. Concept looked way better. I liked the LEDs.

Every kid is going to have one now lol..

I would TOTALLY buy a black one dude, blue Xenon HID's holy fuck women throwing their panties at you.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Yes... heavy, slow gas guzzler. Rare to find in stick, only fun when boosted, driving dynamics are lacking (too slow for straightline, too numb/heavy for spirited handling). Averages 18-21 mpg if I remember correctly, much worse than the IS350 which is also faster by 2 seconds in the quarter mile while still getting better mpg. One of the most disappointing cars Lexus has made.

If you want something similar yet classier, more fun and with almost 10 mpg more with better performance, look at a 2004-2006 Acura TSX.

I was wanting to go RWD this time around. I've had my Maxima for 11 years. I like the fit n finish of the TSXs but i'd miss having the torque of 6 cylinders.

My main focus would be modding for handling and braking. (im not a speed freak...most times)

I was looking at the IS300 cuz of the many handling mods and my comfort level of doing some simple mods myself. I considered a 3-series BMW, but im not comfortable doing mods myself and the hefty price tag BMWs come with.

Iron_Scimitar said:
I was wanting to go RWD this time around. I've had my Maxima for 11 years. I like the fit n finish of the TSXs but i'd miss having the torque of 6 cylinders.

My main focus would be modding for handling and braking. (im not a speed freak...most times)

I was looking at the IS300 cuz of the many handling mods and my comfort level of doing some simple mods myself. I considered a 3-series BMW, but im not comfortable doing mods myself and the hefty price tag BMWs come with.

The IS300 has ok torque that's negated because it's way too heavy. The IS300 is not a good car to mod for handling because of its weight, among other things. It's just not enjoyable to drive, especially because you'll most likely end up with an automatic due to the 5 speed being so rare.

The IS300 only dynos 165-175 whp. For comparison, a TSX dynos about 180-185 whp. Also, it has tighter gearing than the IS300 and only about 20 whp less torque compared to the IS300's 6 cylinder, so it'll feel equally torque-y around town, maybe even better. It'll also handle really well, especially for a FWD sedan. The TSX is basically a four door RSX Type S, and the suspension is pretty well done. A TSX with a Hondata reflash will make more power than an IS300 with most bolt-ons if you want a mod-for-mod power comparison.

I really can't recommend the IS300 at all. If you gotta have a 6 cylinder, also check out the 04-08 Acura TL. It's like a bigger, more luxurious version of the TSX but with a lot more torque. It's a fun car in a 6 speed, just like the TSX.

If you've gotta have RWD, you've got a few choices but what's your budget? That determines everything.

I think the FR-S looks pretty damn good, better than any of the previous concepts on that platform. I guess I'll really know when I see how much gets lost in translation to a production model though.

robox

is300 defense force to the resuce!

i've liked them since they came out and i still like 'em. the chassis should be fairly capable as there've been several high profile builds in motorsports.
+ rwd
+ not german and its associated mechanical baggage
- don't expect rocket performance outta the box.
- e46 330 bmw is really the more logical, rational choice for performance sedan, as its direct competitor

just go with what you feel. in that segment i'd go with the is300 as well, just because i don't want to get lost in a sea of 3 serieses. they're are like rats in this city.

scion ft-86

will probably come with the 2.4L i4 that comes from the camry and is in the xb, tc right now. 'cos 'mericans love teh torque.
scratch that, tc has 2.5L i4. just looked it up.
neither of which crack 200hp. pick your poison.

J-Rzez

Slayer-33 said:
That's a fucking scion? God damn..

I would totally ride in that.

$25k

Actually, that's a Toyota. :p

I've been following this car closely as I want a fun everyday ride that looks good and gets OK mpg. My Evo's starting it's transformation to be a dedicated circuit/track car.

First thing I'll do with this car if Toyota is retarded enough to brand it a Scion is remove/cover up every single Scion badge on the car and replace it with the Japanese model's badges as it should be done. Well, that and a nice exhaust to hear that glorious boxer sound.

It "should" clock in around 200hp, so it's not going to be a blazer, but gawd-damn there's going to be a ton of these rolling around because it's easily the best looking Sub-$30k car out there.

r - b - x said:
scion ft-86

will probably come with the 2.4L i4 that comes from the camry and is in the xb, tc right now. 'cos 'mericans love teh torque.
scratch that, tc has 2.5L i4. just looked it up.
neither of which crack 200hp. pick your poison.

Confirmed the FR-S is a 2.0L next gen subie boxer engine with DS-4 Toyota tech slapped on it.

Of course, the $8000 brakes won't be on the factory machine, nor an option heh.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
eww. whats up with the raised cheekbones on the fr-s. I liked the old look way more.
that said, the rear of it is hawt hawt hawt

robox

oh that's reassuring. i don't read game previews and i don't read car previews, just announcements and post launch impressions.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
reilo said:
I certainly can't wait to test drive it. Have you driven the S4 with the 3.0T at all?

Yes, indeed. Numerous times. Had the S4 for like 3 hours one day, and the A6 for the whole day (when your brother buys an R8 5.2, and you're the one who handles the transaction...you get treated like royalty at the Audi dealer). The S4 makes noticeably more power than the A6, clearly - where as the power in the A6 really drops off past 5500RPM, the S4 pulls like a raped ape through every gear.

I was trying my best to wait for the S5 3.0T to arrive, but once I drove and saw a fully loaded 370Z, it was over...my heart was set on it immediately. I just came back from press day at the NY Auto Show - and I sat in so many cars (many more expensive than mine) that it really made me appreciate how fantastic the 370Z is, and how Nissan does not cheap out on materials and looks when you get the interior complete with the tech goodies. More on that later, if someone actually wants to hear me ramble about my experiences and comparisons...

But anyways, the best cars of the show were easily the Astons. Got to sit in all the DBS, the new Virage, the Vantage S, and the Rapide...I could not find a single fault with any of those cars. I was nitpicking damn near every car I sat in, looking for cheapness, clunkiness, squeaky panels, panels that can potentially squeak, etc. The Astons showed none of it - truly brilliant and flawless execution and craftsmanship inside and out.

I love the Aston's. I've been able to spend some good time in a Vanquish. <3 <3 <3

as for perfect interiors...I don't think I've experienced an interior as flawless as the brown interior on a Bentley Continental GT. It was breathtaking.

Aston needs to get back on their engine design game, though. They're lagging behind everyone in power.

Random question: What do you guys think about the Jaguar XK?

jaguarxkoutlook.jpg

In my quest to find my next ride, I completely forgot the company even existed. Has Jaguar reliability improved in the last decade? According to JD, it's damn good...but I just don't hear anything about Jaguar anymore.

vanty

Dreams-Visions said:
I love the Aston's. I've been able to spend some good time in a Vanquish. <3 <3 <3

as for perfect interiors...I don't think I've experienced an interior as flawless as the brown interior on a Bentley Continental GT. It was breathtaking.

Aston needs to get back on their engine design game, though. They're lagging behind everyone in power.
I think Aston Martin are supposed to be teaming up with Mercedes soon since they aren't with Ford anymore. Something like Aston help out with the Maybach and they get Merc engines for their own cars.

vanty said:
I think Aston Martin are supposed to be teaming up with Mercedes soon since they aren't with Ford anymore. Something like Aston help out with the Maybach and they get Merc engines for their own cars.
oh shit.

an Aston Martin with a V12 AMG engine?

fuck my life. I must have one.

AlphaSnake

I drove a 2009 V8 Vantage...and it was one of the best driving experiences of my life. I've had the pleasure of getting behind a handful of exotics, but the Aston just spoke to me. And the noises it made...

Viperbah

BoobPhysics101 said:
The only car I can think of that might handle high whp levels with boost that compares to something like an LS7 (especially in terms of reliability) would be a 911 Turbo or GT2, maybe a 2JZ Supra MK IV.

Don't get me wrong, I love forced induction... but NA has its own special charm to it.

An LS7 does not have forged internals, they are cast. Which you will have to swap out if you plan on adding big power. Also the clutch won't last past 600 wrhp, 700 you will need a new rear.

I don't know much about 911's, but I can think of a lot of cars that have some stock forged internals that can handle more power, Ford GT comes to mind. I've seen some 1000 wrhp plus ford GTs on the stock block and rear. The only LS motor that has some forged components is the LS9.

I am an NA guy too, I have a 06 Z06 (haha) and an LS1 fbod. I will agree that even if you have to forge some internals and swap the rear and clutch the price of modding any LS car is cheap by comparison to most big HP FI applications.

AlphaSnake

Dreams-Visions said:

Random question: What do you guys think about the Jaguar XK?

jaguarxkoutlook.jpg

In my quest to find my next ride, I completely forgot the company even existed. Has Jaguar reliability improved in the last decade? According to JD, it's damn good...but I just don't hear anything about Jaguar anymore.

Jaguars are extremely reliable these days. They just unveiled the face-lifted XK and it looks fantastic! They fixed the ugly headlights of the original and now the car looks almost perfect.

2012-Jaguar-XK-3581.jpg

So yeah, if you're considering the Jag...get the refreshed one announced yesterday.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:
Yes, indeed. Numerous times. Had the S4 for like 3 hours one day, and the A6 for the whole day (when your brother buys an R8 5.2, and you're the one who handles the transaction...you get treated like royalty at the Audi dealer). The S4 makes noticeably more power than the A6, clearly - where as the power in the A6 really drops off past 5500RPM, the S4 pulls like a raped ape through every gear.

I was trying my best to wait for the S5 3.0T to arrive, but once I drove and saw a fully loaded 370Z, it was over...my heart was set on it immediately. I just came back from press day at the NY Auto Show - and I sat in so many cars (many more expensive than mine) that it really made me appreciate how fantastic the 370Z is, and how Nissan does not cheap out on materials and looks when you get the interior complete with the tech goodies. More on that later, if someone actually wants to hear me ramble about my experiences and comparisons...

But anyways, the best cars of the show were easily the Astons. Got to sit in all the DBS, the new Virage, the Vantage S, and the Rapide...I could not find a single fault with any of those cars. I was nitpicking damn near every car I sat in, looking for cheapness, clunkiness, squeaky panels, panels that can potentially squeak, etc. The Astons showed none of it - truly brilliant and flawless execution and craftsmanship inside and out.
I must test-drive both then!

As far as Jaguars go, I'm not too in love with the "droopy eyes" look of the front end, especially when compared to the hotness to the XFR...

112_0901_05z+2010_Jaguar_XFR+front_view.jpg

AlphaSnake said:
Jaguars are extremely reliable these days. They just unveiled the face-lifted XK and it looks fantastic! They fixed the ugly headlights of the original and now the car looks almost perfect.

2012-Jaguar-XK-3581.jpg

So yeah, if you're considering the Jag...get the refreshed one announced yesterday.
The chrome outlines/highlights need to go.

AlphaSnake said:

2012-Jaguar-XK-3581.jpg

damn. my decision just got much more difficult.

Ovid

Slayer-33 said:
Every kid is going to have one now lol..

I would TOTALLY buy a black one dude, blue Xenon HID's holy fuck women throwing their panties at you.
LOL.

doitlive said:
No one knows for sure but I assume it is around 200 and it is a flat four and probably tuner friendly.
Wait, doesn't the Scion tC have the Camry engine? If this car uses that then pretty I'm sure they will tune it to be little more powerful. So 200 hp sound right.

I agree, it will definitely be tuner friendly.

The vehicle at the Auto Show has a bodykit, aftermarket rims, wheels and brakes. I wonder what the production vehicle will look like?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The phrase "Toyota" and "tuner friendly" post-2000 sounds so... weird. I'll believe it when I see it.

reilo said:
You're thinking XKR versus 911?
oh, just the regular XR. XKR is more than I'd want to spend right now.

RE: 911 - I'm kinda frustrated that I Porsche doesn't offer that sweet-ass Turbo spoiler on the regular Carrera, 4, or 4S. I honestly am not a fan of the back of a Porsche without that spoiler.

*grumbles*

As for the Jag, I really like the look of the car so I hate to say it...but it screams "wanna-be Aston Martin". :-( Is it too similar in body styling to the AM, or is it just my imagination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom