• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

twinturbo2 said:
Aston Martin rebadged the Scion iQ in an attempt to keep up with fuel economy standards.

Kinda disgusting, really.

Where does the Scion name come from? Over here it's just a Toyota.

Special-Edition-Zenvo-ST-1-50S-2.jpg

Zenvo-ST1-5.jpg

Zenvo-ST1-3.jpg

That is all.

Love the design of this car - and it's a powerful beast too. Gotta love the grills and the back is just pure sex.

Dreams-Visions said:
yea, Kia just disrespected another great brand in Aston Martin.

I always chuckle at none car designers talk about one company "ripping-off" designs from another. It must really be a blurry mess of similar shapes to you guys.

yes, they are both fast back 4 door sedans. Yes, they both have well defined and prominent grilles. Yes they both have uplifts in the greenhouse shapes near the C pillar. Yes both have sleek triangular headlamps. But those things doesn't define the designs as "same".

Rapide and this thing are both lovely but next to each other are very distinct from each other.

kharma45 said:
Where does the Scion name come from? Over here it's just a Toyota.
It's young hipster-ish branding for America only AFAIK.

Oh, and then there's this (though granted, it has a bit of an ugly spot from the front angle - those huge front wings aren't to everyone's taste).

gt-citroen-at-paris-motor-show1.jpg
gt-citroen-at-paris-motor-show2.jpg

weekend_warrior said:
http://i.imgur.com/3cB2i.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JunhX.jpg[IMG]

It's good to see Kia is still ripping off designs from other companys.[/QUOTE]

puahaha never thought I'd see them put out something like this...

ascii42

The Cadillac Ciel concept. I want one.
17 feet long, 125 inch wheelbase, 425 hp TTV6. Long hood. Suicide doors. Now this is a Cadillac. A bigger engine would be nice though, it would certainly fit.
If they do make it, I hope they give it the Eldorado name.

Cadillac-Ciel-Concept-Left-Front-Angle-1024x640.jpg

Cadillac-Ciel-Concept-1024x640.jpg

Cadillac-Ciel-Concept-reveal-rear-three-quarter-1024x640.jpg

Cadillac-Ciel-Concept-Top-View-1024x580.jpg

Cadillac-Ciel-Concept-steering-wheel-1024x640.jpg

ascii42

cajunator said:
Yeah I was drooling over that earlier. It reminds me of those awesome Lincoln concepts not too long ago like the MK9.
Yeah, I think it's probably the suicide doors, but I do see some Lincoln in the Ciel. Unfortunately, I don't think Lincoln has the guts to build something like this. Not sure if Cadillac is either, but they gave us the CTS-V Wagon, so perhaps anything is possible.

cajunator

Banned
I think Lincoln is about to get a major makeover. Ford is dedicating over a billion to revitalize the brand, and that is how Cadillac got a rebirth of its own. Lincoln has a long way to go but it wasn't so long ago that Caddy was in the same situation.

ascii42

cajunator said:
I think Lincoln is about to get a major makeover. Ford is dedicating over a billion to revitalize the brand, and that is how Cadillac got a rebirth of its own. Lincoln has a long way to go but it wasn't so long ago that Caddy was in the same situation.
True. If Lincoln can start getting unique platforms, or at least do a better job of differentiating their cars from the Ford versions, that would be a great start.

Hell, just improving their grill design would go a long way.

Spamming this thread tonight, but I don't care - just remembered Jason Castriota's special car design he did for TopGear magazine based on the MP4-12C chassis:

Castriota_McLaren.jpg

Ubermatik said:
Spamming this thread tonight, but I don't care - just remembered Jason Castriota's special car design he did for TopGear magazine based on the MP4-12C chassis:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Peloton25/MP4-12C/Castriota_McLaren.jpg[/QUOTE]
I Think his usual design shtick is getting old. Every one of his cars has those wings or buttresses...

ascii42 said:
17 feet long, 125 inch wheelbase, 425 hp TTV6. Long hood. Suicide doors. Now this is a Cadillac. A bigger engine would be nice though, it would certainly fit.

Cadillac-Ciel-Concept-Left-Front-Angle-1024x640.jpg

They should call this the Cadillac Like a Boss.

caramac

Quick question for you US based guys. We are planning a 3 week vacation in Florida next year and l was wondering if there is a good chance our hire car will have an input for my ipod via a 3.5mm stereo mini jack cable?

ascii42

CaramaC said:
Quick question for you US based guys. We are planning a 3 week vacation in Florida next year and l was wondering if there is a good chance our hire car will have an input for my ipod via a 3.5mm stereo mini jack cable?
Most likely yes. 3.5mm stereo jacks are fairly common on cars sold here now. Even in the cheaper cars, since it's those cars that appeal to the younger crowd, which are more likely to want such things. A quick search shows base model Chevy Aveo having the 3.5 mmauxiliary input jack, and the base Kia Rio even having USB connectivity.

caramac

ascii42 said:
Most likely yes. 3.5mm stereo jacks are fairly common on cars sold here now. Even in the cheaper cars, since it's those cars that appeal to the younger crowd, which are more likely to want such things. A quick search shows base model Chevy Aveo having the 3.5 mmauxiliary input jack, and the base Kia Rio even having USB connectivity.

Thanks, l thought it would probably be standard these days, the last time we came over was in 99 and we just bought a bunch of cd's with us.

Smokey

cajunator said:
Do you guys with Bimmers actually take them out and thrash them? Otherwise you might as well but something cheaper like a loaded Maxima.

What?
Unless you're talking about those with a M3 this doesn't make sense to me.

Zyzyxxz

Dreams-Visions said:
yea, Kia just disrespected another great brand in Aston Martin.

I'll take it, say what you will even though its very similar to a Rapide it will undoubtedly be much more affordable.

Why can't I have my good looks and be able to pay for it too? It's not like I can afford a Rapide and if I could then I would get one.

So I picked up my 335d today and boy is this car ever fun to drive. I'm coming from a 2006 Jetta TDI that had a 100 HP so I quickly forget how fast I'm actually going. :lol The torque on this car is insane too and definitely must be felt to really be appreciated.

h1nch

Epic Tales of Penis said:
So I picked up my 335d today and boy is this car ever fun to drive. I'm coming from a 2006 Jetta TDI that had a 100 HP so I quickly forget how fast I'm actually going. :lol The torque on this car is insane too and definitely must be felt to really be appreciated.

Congrats man! Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

I drove up to Austin yesterday to sign some paperwork and put down a $1000 deposit on my car. My CA already put in the order and its slated for a week 36 build, which is the last week of Aug/1st week of Sept.

Car is set to arrive here in approx. 8 weeks. Let the agonizing wait begin :(

h1nch said:
Congrats man! Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

I drove up to Austin yesterday to sign some paperwork and put down a $1000 deposit on my car. My CA already put in the order and its slated for a week 36 build, which is the last week of Aug/1st week of Sept.

Car is set to arrive here in approx. 8 weeks. Let the agonizing wait begin :(
Thanks man. Never figured I'd need the navi/idrive but I'm quickly falling in love with it. Love the satellite radio feature and trip counter/fuel mileage feature too. Also synced the phone feature to my iPhone but can't seem to find my songs on it while using the idrive.

Do I need another cable?

Are you going with the 335i?

h1nch

Thanks man. Never figured I'd need the navi/idrive but I'm quickly falling in love with it. Love the satellite radio feature and trip counter/fuel mileage feature too. Also synced the phone feature to my iPhone but can't seem to find my songs on it while using the idrive.

Do I need another cable?

Yeah I went with the 335i sedan. Got in on the last round of ordering at the dealership before they switch over to reserving 2012 F30 models. Here's what I ordered:

335i RWD Sedan
Space gray metallic
Black dakota leather interior w/ dark burl walnut trim
Automatic trans
Premium pkg
Sport pkg
Performance edition (boost to 320hp, 322lb/ft torque)
Harmon Kardon sound system
Ipod/USB hookup
Satellite radio
BMW Apps
Split fold rear seat

Pretty loaded compared to my 09 328i which only has power seats added on.

Interesting note regarding bluetooth and getting songs on idrive. I couldn't find a definitive answer to whether or not this was possible. I know the S4 didn't support bluetooth audio, but wasn't sure about the 3. I'll probably end up stashing an ipod in the car anyway so it won't bother me too much if its not supported.

ascii42 said:

Cadillac-Ciel-Concept-steering-wheel-1024x640.jpg
*slow clap*

Zyzyxxz said:
I'll take it, say what you will even though its very similar to a Rapide it will undoubtedly be much more affordable.

Why can't I have my good looks and be able to pay for it too? It's not like I can afford a Rapide and if I could then I would get one.
"A Chrysler 300 looks like a Phantom...until a Phantom pulls up."

h1nch said:
Yeah I went with the 335i sedan. Got in on the last round of ordering at the dealership before they switch over to reserving 2012 F30 models. Here's what I ordered:

335i RWD Sedan
Space gray metallic
Black dakota leather interior w/ dark burl walnut trim
Automatic trans
Premium pkg
Sport pkg
Performance edition (boost to 320hp, 322lb/ft torque)
Harmon Kardon sound system
Ipod/USB hookup
Satellite radio
BMW Apps
Split fold rear seat

Pretty loaded compared to my 09 328i which only has power seats added on.

Interesting note regarding bluetooth and getting songs on idrive. I couldn't find a definitive answer to whether or not this was possible. I know the S4 didn't support bluetooth audio, but wasn't sure about the 3. I'll probably end up stashing an ipod in the car anyway so it won't bother me too much if its not supported.
Damn man, that sounds like a sick ride to be.

I'm hearing that I'll need the BMW "Y-cable" in order to listen to songs from my iPhone. That's pretty lame because I'm guessing the songs will be coming through as analog through the AUX port out of my phone.

Hope I'm wrong.

golem

Do I need another cable?

You need the iPod cable probably. It plugs into the USB ports, but yeah from the iPhone it will be analog (at least on mine it is). I just stick a USB drive in and use that.. kind of a hassle to update with new music though.

One more question guys. My idrive in the 335d comes with satellite radio.

Is that shit free or am I in for a surprise?

I've been listening to it since I bought it and never activated anything.

Thanks.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Thanks.

If the car is new, it's free for the first 3-6 months (depends on dealer). But, if your car was a demo or dealer car, then it was likely purchased for more than that. Either way, the bill shouldn't go to you since you weren't the one who activated it and paid for it. :p

ascii42

Thanks.
My Malibu came with 3 months of XM. After three months, the XM shut off. Shortly after that, XM called me up offering a year for half price, around $77, which I took.

No idea if that's how it works with BMW, but I'd guess so.

TylerD said:
Hi, I'm the new 458 Spider and I am hot.

It is hot, albeit not as nice as the coupe, which weirdly is the inverse of the situation with the 360 and 430-- to me those looked better once they lost their tops.

I prefer the Spider's engine cover, though. Ferrari ought to be doing more flying buttress designs.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The seven-hour test at Willow Springs started in a road car, where Coulthard and Cruise drove the 2.5-mile track to get a feeling for the layout before the Mission: Impossible star climbed into the F1 car for 24 laps. At the end of the day, Cruise managed a top speed of 181 miles per hour – just four mph off of DC's trap speed – while scrubbing 11 seconds off his first lap – a marked improvement that left Coulthard impressed at Tom's skills.
Tom Cruise is awesome.

Speaking of winter tires, I'm looking ahead because I can already tell the torque and RWD of my 335d will be a handful when the snow/ice hits.

So, any GAF dudes with knowledge or experience on these rubbers?:

A) Michelin X-Ice Xi2

B) Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero RFT

C) Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3

D) Bridgestone Blizzak LM-RFT

E) Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D.

Speaking of winter tires, I'm looking ahead because I can already tell the torque and RWD of my 335d will be a handful when the snow/ice hits.

So, any GAF dudes with knowledge or experience on these rubbers?:

A) Michelin X-Ice Xi2

B) Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero RFT

C) Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3

D) Bridgestone Blizzak LM-RFT

E) Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D.

blizzak.
I went through 8" of snow with my lowered e30 on blizzaks.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The Bookerman said:
Aston martin called, they want their front grill back
Considering that the new generation of Aston Martins were designed while under the tutilage of Henry Fisker and Ian Callum while they were all under Ford, it is no surprise to see the influence.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention J Mays, who was in charge of Ford's global design for the past fifteen years. All of those designers worked under him.

It's not a new car nor a very fast or sexy one, but I saw this driving around town the other day, and the sun touched its wheels and it was like it smiled and I had to smile back. What a beautiful car.

fiat-500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom