• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epic Tales of Penis said:
They have an offer for $43,000 on the table for this car. Only 3,864 kms on it:

Link

What do you guys think?!

Seems too high to me. I don't care that it only has 4k km, it's still a 2009 which means it has 3-4 years of unknown wear and tear. It could have been used as a dealership test drive car and gotten the abuse of a dozen test drivers a day.

Couldn't that be said about any used vehicle though? It is a diesel and they always have a higher re-sale value to begin with.

Absolutely, buying a used car will always be a bit of a gamble in that sense. But in this case it seems like their expecting you to pay a premium because of the "low low miles" when, to me at least, it doesn't matter. I'd rather have a 2011 with 15k then a 2009 with 4k.

weekend_warrior said:
Absolutely, buying a used car will always be a bit of a gamble in that sense. But in this case it seems like their expecting you to pay a premium because of the "low low miles" when, to me at least, it doesn't matter. I'd rather have a 2011 with 15k then a 2009 with 4k.
Hmmmm...

Pterion

attachment.php

lulz at the back wing.

this car has had no valve adjustment yet in 60k miles. Its gonna need one if I buy it.

Wat do?

The US e36 m3 was only made because bmw thought we wouldnt buy the real version.

They took the m50 bumped the displacement and added hotter cams.

Damn I was too late on that car. Someone bought it while I was applying for a loan with my bank.

Oh well that salesman was kind of a dick anyways.

So I had a deal in place with the sales guy through e-mail for the 335d. He said it was "do-able". So I get there and he's now arriving at a deal that is $2100-3200 more than what he said.

I object. He takes me in to see the "boss" and then I'm butting heads with him.

I walked away from it last night.

So I had a deal in place with the sales guy through e-mail for the 335d. He said it was "do-able". So I get there and he's now arriving at a deal that is $2100-3200 more than what he said.

I hate salesmen that do that shit. Fuck those people right in the ass.

h1nch

Thats crap. I've also been dealing with the shady local dealer in San Antonio. In the end their price was actually $300 more expensive than the Austin dealership and they refused to show me the invoice price of the car and claimed that Edmunds was wrong.

Meanwhile the internet sales guy in Austin sent me a full pricing sheet with every single fee listed, the MSRP, the invoice, and their profit % included, along with all the discounts and rebates applied. Even if BMW of Austin quoted me a higher price I'd probably buy the car through them based on principle.

I'm sure I'll still have to go up there to fill out paperwork and if he pulls this shit on me I'll cause a scene. I doubt it as so far he's been totally straight with me, unlike the other BMW dealerships in the state (the ones in Houston were also giving me the run around)

Was it this salesman that tried to sell you a true coat on top of that?
fargo1781.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Gonna take a look at a 335xi Coupe for my girlfriend now. Pray for me this one is clean.

ascii42

cadillacconveropt.jpg

Apparently the Volt based Cadillac Converj concept will come to life as the Cadillac ELR. I wonder how close it will stay to the concept. I also wonder why Cadillac insists on such stupid non-names for its cars.

So now we are $500 apart. They said it's their last offer.

I said I need two weeks to get that $500 so if the car is still there at that time, I'll buy it.

Guy asked me if I was nuts.

I said: "Yes, yes I am".

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ascii42 said:
cadillacconveropt.jpg

Apparently the Volt based Cadillac Converj concept will come to life as the Cadillac ELR. I wonder how close it will stay to the concept. I also wonder why Cadillac insists on such stupid non-names for its cars.
I'd take one in black. So awesome.

AlphaSnake

Left a deposit on 335xi Coupe for the GF. Fully loaded, with the rarest leather option...Amaretto brown! So fucking sexy.

Here's the car: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ds=25&seller_type=b&cardist=25&standard=false

We took 1500 off the price. It's a CPO too, so warranty will remain until January 2014. Mileage is a little higher than what she wanted, but low mileage 335xi Coupes were impossible to find, and the ones we did find were beat up, and she does not drive much at all anyway (she averages 6K miles a year).

ascii42 said:
cadillacconveropt.jpg

I assume "E" stands for Electric?

and why is "ELR" any stupider than MKZ, RL, TL, CLK, CLS, 93, A5, 335, XJ, XLR or any other cars that use letters/numbers instead of names or words to differentiate their products?

or is it just arbitrary Cadillac bashing just because it's Cadillac?

Hard to say Alpha. Not really sure.

P.S. How would this value look in US dollars to you?
it would be expensive in US dollars. that car is $50k brand new, in the Xi version.

Wow guys. I noticed that they raised the price of the 335d overnight by $1,100. They never told me but I have the ad on my phone.

Did I really piss them off that much by not taking their deal? :lol

ascii42

Dreams-Visions said:
I assume "E" stands for Electric?

and why is "ELR" any stupider than MKZ, RL, TL, CLK, CLS, 93, A5, 335, XJ, XLR or any other cars that use letters/numbers instead of names or words to differentiate their products?

or is it just arbitrary Cadillac bashing just because it's Cadillac?
I'd guess Electric Long Range is what it stands for.
Trust me, I'm not bashing it because it's Cadillac. I just prefer real names for cars. I love Cadillac. I used to have a 1986 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, now that was a name for a car. I will contend that Lincoln's MK-whatever names are stupid as well. I have an Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight. Whenever I tell somebody the model name, without fail, they think I'm talking about the year.

The Germans have been doing alphanumerics for a long time, that's their thing. I respect that, mostly. I say mostly because sometimes they aren't entirely consistent with their naming. Both the 328i and 335i have a 3L engine. The C63AMG has a 6.2L engine. In both cases, I understand why they did it that way, but it does expose a flaw in their naming conventions.

AlphaSnake said:
Left a deposit on 335xi Coupe for the GF. Fully loaded, with the rarest leather option...Amaretto brown! So fucking sexy.

Here's the car: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ds=25&seller_type=b&cardist=25&standard=false

We took 1500 off the price. It's a CPO too, so warranty will remain until January 2014. Mileage is a little higher than what she wanted, but low mileage 335xi Coupes were impossible to find, and the ones we did find were beat up, and she does not drive much at all anyway (she averages 6K miles a year).

You must know all about the problems with the n54 engine, i hope.

cajunator

Banned
Do you guys with Bimmers actually take them out and thrash them? Otherwise you might as well but something cheaper like a loaded Maxima.

AlphaSnake

YuriLowell said:
You must know all about the problems with the n54 engine, i hope.

Well, I'm aware of the fuel pump issue. I've got them fixing the wastegate rattle TSB, and cold start muffler TSB. What else is there to be really concerned about?

JackEtc

Hey guys, what's the best place/site to get wheels and tires?

I have the stock Jetta wheels on my car now, but they're kinda gross, and the paint is chipping away on parts. I'd like to ask for some new wheels for Christmas, or when I get a job and can afford them. I also have a set of Hankook performance tires (225/45zr17, if that means anything to you guys) on, and I think I'll be needing some snow tires.

So, any recommendations for where to buy them? I'm thinking I can buy tires just at a store, but the wheels I'm a little hung up on. What's a good site/brand/location I can get good wheels at?

AlphaSnake said:
Well, I'm aware of the fuel pump issue. I've got them fixing the wastegate rattle TSB, and cold start muffler TSB. What else is there to be really concerned about?

Carbon buildup on the valves.
VANOS Cam issues.

The transfer cases in the e9x xi's are made out of plastic internals to save weight.
I have not heard of any e9x xi's making it over the 100k mile mark yet.

If its got idrive you should worry about massive electrical issues.

Also with e9x's BMW has made it impossible to do anything yourself.

Im a rabid BMW fanboy but Its hard for me to accept anything past E46 M3.

JackEtc said:
Hey guys, what's the best place/site to get wheels and tires?

I have the stock Jetta wheels on my car now, but they're kinda gross, and the paint is chipping away on parts. I'd like to ask for some new wheels for Christmas, or when I get a job and can afford them. I also have a set of Hankook performance tires (225/45zr17, if that means anything to you guys) on, and I think I'll be needing some snow tires.

So, any recommendations for where to buy them? I'm thinking I can buy tires just at a store, but the wheels I'm a little hung up on. What's a good site/brand/location I can get good wheels at?

tirerack.com

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ascii42 said:
I'd guess Electric Long Range is what it stands for.
Trust me, I'm not bashing it because it's Cadillac. I just prefer real names for cars. I love Cadillac. I used to have a 1986 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, now that was a name for a car. I will contend that Lincoln's MK-whatever names are stupid as well. I have an Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight. Whenever I tell somebody the model name, without fail, they think I'm talking about the year.
Cadillac today is not the same anymore, for better or for worse. They are luxury/performance class now, and all the cars there use alphanumeric namings now. BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, Lexus... all of them really. I think the reason is that it makes the cars sound more transcendent and less localized or perhaps trivial.

"Normal" names are now in realm of regular passenger cars makers only, and pretty much universally used there (Celica, Fusion, Altima, Sonata, etc etc.)

ascii42

Lord Error said:
Cadillac today is not the same anymore, for better or for worse. They are luxury/performance class now, and all the cars there use alphanumeric namings now. BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, Lexus... all of them really. I think the reason is that it makes the cars sound more transcendent and less localized or perhaps trivial.

"Normal" names are now in realm of regular passenger cars makers only, and pretty much universally used there (Celica, Fusion, Altima, Sonata, etc etc.)
Right, the idea is that it doesn't matter what BMW you have, the important thing is that you have a BMW. You're just picking how long it is and how powerful the engine is. It often doesn't work as well for regular brands, since you might be associating very different cars with different personalities. Pontiac did a disservice to the G8 by associating it with the G3. Mazda seems to mostly have things figured out, but the Mazda 5 is out of place.

But right now Cadillac still has one normal named vehicle, the Escalade. Since that has made a name for itself, it won't be going away any time soon. Likewise, Lincoln still has the Navigator, and until recently, had the Town Car. It's sort of weird when you have a mix like that. I guess it works, since the Escalade is the only SUV Cadillac has, while they have multiple cars. Actually, the Escalade is almost like a sub-brand, since its three versions are sold under three different names as Chevys.

AlphaSnake

YuriLowell said:
Carbon buildup on the valves.
VANOS Cam issues.

The transfer cases in the e9x xi's are made out of plastic internals to save weight.
I have not heard of any e9x xi's making it over the 100k mile mark yet.

If its got idrive you should worry about massive electrical issues.

Also with e9x's BMW has made it impossible to do anything yourself.

Im a rabid BMW fanboy but Its hard for me to accept anything past E46 M3.

Christ...all of these issues even for a 2008? You're making me regret this heavily...luckily the deposit left was very small and instantly refundable through the credit card.

AlphaSnake said:
Christ...all of these issues even for a 2008? You're making me regret this heavily...luckily the deposit left was very small and instantly refundable through the credit card.

I mean this is all coming from the mechanics who I hang out with so its probably exaggerated reports.

Id roll with a 328i without iDrive. It should last you much longer. Not as fast but if you want fast you shoud just buy an m3.

Although I laughed at the fact that the battery has to be introduced to the ECU, and that it costs 500 for a new battery.

Also the main rule of thumb for BMW's is never ever buy early model cars they all have problems that get sorted out later.

E30s had timing belts that snapped in 20k miles when they were new.

E36s had weak ass timing chain tensioners and shitty vanos seals.

E46s had weak subframes, and have problems with VANOS bolts backing out and blowing up the entire vanos. (Which is a 5k dollar fix on an S54)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ascii42 said:
But right now Cadillac still has one normal named vehicle, the Escalade. Since that has made a name for itself, it won't be going away any time soon. Likewise, Lincoln still has the Navigator, and until recently, had the Town Car. It's sort of weird when you have a mix like that. I guess it works, since the Escalade is the only SUV Cadillac has, while they have multiple cars. Actually, the Escalade is almost like a sub-brand, since its three versions are sold under three different names as Chevys.
I know what you mean, and I think it was a good decision. Escalade is different kind of vehicle, and it's for the better that they keep it separate like that (good point with Mazda 5 btw, they should have done the same with it). They actually do have another SUV, a compact crossover SRX but when you look at it, it clearly belongs with their other XYZ vehicles and not in Escalade group.

So guys I bought the 2009 335D tonight. Man was it a back and forth battle.

I'm probably picking it up Saturday or Monday. :)

what was the final price? And did you get the true coat?

and damn Smug McPhee!

Giant Robot said:
what was the final price? And did you get the true coat?

and damn Smug McPhee!
I got it at $42,000 and they gave me $14,700 for my car (trade-in) after tax savings. That owner guy really bugs me though. He had seen my car ad online and it said "premium audio". I said I had done my speakers and when I popped the trunk and he saw my two 4-channel amps and 10" sub he said:

"Those stay too because they were there when I checked your car last time you were here".

Thing is, he NEVER checked my car. I got within a foot of his face and said:

"I'm keeping them because they were NEVER mentioned in my ad".

I'm pretty much financing just the taxes of the car ($6,000) over three years on an open loan.

Peanuts.

Capitals_Hockey_0e39c.jpg

If a salesman talked to me and jerked me around like that id tell him to shove his cars right up his ass.

No way someone treats me that way and gets my money.

YuriLowell said:
If a salesman talked to me and jerked me around like that id tell him to shove his cars right up his ass.

No way someone treats me that way and gets my money.
It wasn't the sales guy. It's his manager and he's 5ft 2. :lol

The deal was already done by then so I guess he was trying to squeeze more shit from me.

I actually found it comical. In a way I was hoping he pushed me when I got up in his face so I could just beat the fuck out of him.

He has such an annoying mug. :lol

It wasn't the sales guy. It's his manager and he's 5ft 2. :lol

The deal was already done by then so I guess he was trying to squeeze more shit from me.

I actually found it comical. In a way I was hoping he pushed me when I got up in his face so I could just beat the fuck out of him.

He has such an annoying mug. :lol

I guess I just don't take to that kinda shit.

If im spending that much money you can kiss my sweet ass.

Zyzyxxz

Wow, I definitely see some Aston Martin Rapide in that Kia, but if it hits the market at the right price I can imagine it will sell like hotcakes.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Dreams-Visions said:
yea, Kia just disrespected another great brand in Aston Martin.

Kinda disgusting, really.
Aston Martin rebadged the Scion iQ in an attempt to keep up with fuel economy standards.

Kinda disgusting, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom