• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
pj said:
I don't know what AlphaSnake is talking about. 35% is still see through. You're not hiding yourself and I haven't found it any more difficult driving at night.

This is what 35% color stable 3M looks like on my car
4914036290_c6a00779a3_b.jpg

Err...not when there's no light with the exception of the occasional light post. In the nightime, even 50% becomes too reflective to clearly see who's in the car. Heck, even your picture shows that if you had a passenger in there it'd be hard to clearly make out what they'd look like.

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Looking to get tints guys but have never done it before. I'm torn between getting a 35% or a 50% one on my four windows and rear one. I feel the 35% seems a bit too dark but maybe I'm overreacting.

Also, I've heard of Llumar, 3M and Sun-Gard for tint brands among others. I'm looking for a life-time warranty and scratch resistant so any brand recommendations are welcome.

My 335d comes in this Tasmanian Metallic Green:

3166755069x250.jpg

3473725453.jpg

attachment.php

Would you guys do 35% or 50% tints?

Thanks for all your help!
35% or darker ftw.

:)

I'm tinting my MINI Coupe next weekend.

Going to do 35% all around. I believe any darker is agst TX Law (Unless it is rear windows which I barely have any since its a 2 seater.. lol)

I didn't tint my last two vehicles and regret it because of the heat in TX. I'm kinda sad that it will be harder to see me in the car :(

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Heres my car at 20% all around (35% is the legal limit in my state, but it was way too light for my tastes). Plus it was cheaper just to match the back windows, because they come shipped 20%. Cost me 80 bucks.
ibsg9WczXPoYB6.JPG

Ignore the odd stance, bald tires, and alt wheels. I was changing tires and installing a news suspension that day at a friends house.

Anyways, I have no problem with people seeing me in the day time. In the picture you get an idea because you see the passenger side mirror no problem. Definitely not at night though. Havent had a problem with the police, its been installed since September 2010.

edit:

if this helps, my friend's car at 5%, behind mine.
ibfT3Ij7pVNlpf.JPG

way too dark imo.

Aguirre

Bad_Boy said:
Heres my car at 20% all around (35% is the legal limit in my state, but it was way too light for my tastes). Plus it was cheaper just to match the back windows, because they come shipped 20%. Cost me 80 bucks.
ibsg9WczXPoYB6.JPG

Ignore the odd stance, bald tires, and alt wheels. I was changing tires and installing a news suspension that day at a friends house.

Anyways, I have no problem with people seeing me in the day time. In the picture you get an idea because you see the passenger side mirror no problem. Definitely not at night though. Havent had a problem with the police, its been installed since September 2010.

edit:

if this helps, my friend's car at 5%, behind mine.
ibfT3Ij7pVNlpf.JPG

way too dark imo.

YES! beautiful!!

here are my toyotas

toyota hilux 2.5 d4-d, manual transmission
oqZMz.jpg

silver toyota land cruiser amazon, 4.2 turbo diesel with manual transmission. blue toyota land cruiser 80 series, 4.2 turbo diesel with manual transmission
mZZh0.jpg

i still cant believe americans dont get the diesel land cruisers

Aguirre

Bad_Boy said:
awesome hilux. if america had one, i would of chose that over the fj.

nice yotas Aguirre. :)

is possible for you to import a diesel cruiser?

too strict with import regulations??

food for thought.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Aguirre said:

food for thought.
probably possible, but probably very expensive.

I recently joined the air force and was looking into shipping my fj to europe if I'm ever stationed there, and it looks to be pretty expensive w/ a lot of paperwork. I'll probably just put it in storage of some sort.

Aguirre

Bad_Boy said:
probably possible, but probably very expensive.

I recently joined the air force and was looking into shipping my fj to europe if I'm ever stationed there, and it looks to be pretty expensive w/ a lot of paperwork. I'll probably just put it in storage of some sort.
so annoying!

i know to export a car to america, the underneath has to be absolutely spotless. it's beyond a joke. any mud = no export

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Aguirre said:
so annoying!

i know to export a car to america, the underneath has to be absolutely spotless. it's beyond a joke. any mud = no export
hmm, mud? wonder why that is. interesting.

Zyzyxxz

Aguirre said:

food for thought.

All I know for regular gasoline cars, if its older than 25 years you should be able to import it.

Aguirre

are they still rebadged passats like the older octavias/superbs or can you now differentiate between the two? i.e handling, engine noise, performance.

iidesuyo

Aguirre said:
are they still rebadged passats like the older octavias/superbs or can you now differentiate between the two? i.e handling, engine noise, performance.

It's a last generation Superb, which is a lenghened VW Passat (German spec)

It's a great car :)

I vaguely follow the automotive world, but for some reason I had no idea this car existed til yesterday. I almost immediately fell in love. The price and feature set is quite fantastic, and I really think this is going to be my next car, when I decide I've had enough of my 07' Civic. This is the 2012 Hyundai Veloster.

2012-Hyundai-Veloster-white-exterior-side-rear-view.jpg

2012-Hyundai-Veloster-on-the-road-performances.jpg

2012-Hyundai-Veloster-green-exterior-design-rear-view.jpg

iidesuyo

Epic Tales of Penis said:
What horsepower and torque does that pump out? How large of a tank and what mileage do you get?

Mileage is not so great sadly, the V6 (2.5) is a 90's construction.

Don't know about the exact specs, but it's good for a constant 220 km/h, I'm an Autobahn addict, pushing down the feet to the ground and just let it go!

AlphaSnake

BruiserBear said:
I vaguely follow the automotive world, but for some reason I had no idea this car existed til yesterday. I almost immediately fell in love. The price and feature set is quite fantastic, and I really think this is going to be my next car, when I decide I've had enough of my 07' Civic. This is the 2012 Hyundai Veloster.

Veloster Images

If you value build quality avoid this junk. I sat in a press and demo model, the interior is hideously cheap and poorly built. A car with few miles on it that squeaked with every touch of any plastic panel (which makes up most of the interior). Can't imagine how terrible it would be once road vibrations come into play and it starts rattling loose.

AlphaSnake said:
If you value build quality avoid this junk. I sat in a press and demo model, the interior is hideously cheap and poorly built. A car with few miles on it that squeaked with every touch of any plastic panel (which makes up most of the interior). Can't imagine how terrible it would be once road vibrations come into play and it starts rattling loose.
It would be wiser to gauge the production car for such issues. Veloster's sisters are well built, so I would assume the same build quality. For their price range, Hyundais are very well built.

AlphaSnake said:

I do value build quality, but I also value practicality, fuel economy, and design. All of which this car seems to excel at. It starts at $17,500, and it blows the doors off the competition feature wise at the price point. Hyundai's also come with a 100,000 mile warranty standard.

Shogmaster said:
It would be wiser to gauge the production car for such issues. Veloster's sisters are well built, so I would assume the same build quality. For their price range, Hyundais are very well built.
+1.

and that exterior really does look cool. I approve, for what little my approval is worth. lol.

But I'd also consider a Focus in this segment. Focus is damn near leading the segment in features and they'll run forever with little trouble. I still have my old Focus (first car). Runs fine to this day. I little bit louder than when I first got it, but fuck...it's 11 years old and has 100k+ miles on it. other than breaks/rotors/oil/fluids/tires, car has needed no additional work that I'm aware of (I don't own it anymore but it's still in the family). As such, you'll never get me to say anything bad about Ford.

AlphaSnake

BruiserBear said:
I do value build quality, but I also value practicality, fuel economy, and design. All of which this car seems to excel at. It starts at $17,500, and it blows the doors off the competition feature wise at the price point. Hyundai's also come with a 100,000 mile warranty standard.

Just a word of caution. Approach with lowered expectations. Hyundai's other cars are built better than this, including the cheaper stuff.

The biggest thing I'm curious about is if they fixed the awful manual gearbox. The clutch was an absolute mess with so much play and wobble to it, and the gear changes were bland. I don't know why a car company would demo a car unless they were confident it'd be the final product representation. Some of the stuff was glaring.

Is the Veloster on dealer lots officially now?

AlphaSnake said:
Just a word of caution. Approach with lowered expectations. Hyundai's other cars are built better than this, including the cheaper stuff.

The biggest thing I'm curious about is if they fixed the awful manual gearbox. The clutch was an absolute mess with so much play and wobble to it, and the gear changes were bland. I don't know why a car company would demo a car unless they were confident it'd be the final product representation. Some of the stuff was glaring.

Yes, it's been available for about a month apparently.

I've watched several youtube reviews, including Consumer Reports evaluation, and all seemed to suggest it handles quite well, including the manual gearbox. Of course they were evaluating it based on the segment it's going after, which is pretty much a sport economy car.

ameratsu

AlphaSnake said:

I've seen a few in the wild, so I would assume so.

While I haven't driven one, the body-colour matched finish on the wheels is gaudy and looks ricey. Not that anyone here really cares what a guy who drives 20 year old turbo mitsubishi thinks.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
just got a vw 2012 Golf. Automatic trans (i suck) and I didn't get the diesel version (I'm too cheap). Still, I love this car.

TylerD

BruiserBear said:
Yes, it's been available for about a month apparently.

I've watched several youtube reviews, including Consumer Reports evaluation, and all seemed to suggest it handles quite well, including the manual gearbox. Of course they were evaluating it based on the segment it's going after, which is pretty much a sport economy car.

I am interested to see what the Veloster Turbo will be like. The rumored 200 hp should make it a lot of fun with it being a pretty light car. I bet the fuel economy numbers will be really good too.

AlphaSnake

TylerD said:
I am interested to see what the Veloster Turbo will be like. The rumored 200 hp should make it a lot of fun with it being a pretty light car. I bet the fuel economy numbers will be really good too.

They revealed the motor last week. 204HP. :)

As long as the weight is kept low, which it should be, it'll be a hoot.

Aguirre

AlphaSnake said:

you only get what you pay for. dont expect the gearbox to be that of a bmw or toyota, say.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
iidesuyo said:

I'm too shy. It's basically this one:

Picture003.jpg

I got it with wheel covers, nothing fancy.

I really like the engine, it's a 2.5, 5 cylinder engine for the price of a fucus. It's roomier than the focus hatchback, the honda fit and the equivalent toyota. It's the convenience of a hatchback, without compromising.

AlphaSnake

Aguirre said:
you only get what you pay for. dont expect the gearbox to be that of a bmw or toyota, say.

While true, my cousin's old 2001 Civic had a better gearbox and clutch than that.

Gor@n

Neo Member
sca2511 said:
Just got my 2012 GTI in Shadow Blue yesterday! Just posted in the pick-up thread, thought I should post it up in here too. I'm so tempted to grab an ECU reflash for it.

Do it its a totally different animal with the reflash

Aguirre said:

BMW gearboxes are average, Toyota isn't much better. Honda makes the best gearboxes for mass production cars, in terms of feeling and being fun to drive.

So guys I went ahead and got the 35% tints today on my 335d and I honestly really like it. I thought it would be too dark but it's not. I believe what was throwing me off was assuming rear windows that I saw on cars here were 35% and the front ones being 50%. What I was in fact seeing was 15% on the rears and 35% on the fronts.

I've never really taken pics of my car for you guys yet. I'll try doing that this weekend.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
BoobPhysics101 said:
BMW gearboxes are average, Toyota isn't much better. Honda makes the best gearboxes for mass production cars, in terms of feeling and being fun to drive.

i cant speak for bmw but i agree about toyota.

BoobPhysics101 said:

This is true.

Im still not a big fan of honda transmissions though either.

AlphaSnake

BMW makes a decent rower.

It's Audis that are the absolute shittiest of the bunch, though. That includes Volkswagens too...you haven't driven a shittacular gearbox until you've driven a stick Beetle, Jetta, Golf, A5, A4, or A3. The S5 and S4 perform a bit better and tighter, yet still lack a lot of feel. Just bland.

Halvie

Banned
AlphaSnake said:

It's Audis that are the absolute shittiest of the bunch, though. That includes Volkswagens too...you haven't driven a shittacular gearbox until you've driven a stick Beetle, Jetta, Golf, A5, A4, or A3. The S5 and S4 perform a bit better and tighter, yet still lack a lot of feel. Just bland.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/VW_short_shift_kit_p/ss-sigma6.htm

problem solved at least for golf/gti/a3/cc/jetta/blah/blah

if you prefer the feel with a counter weight buy the twm shifter. Lot better feel than stock. Not just shorter throws.

YuriLowell said:
This is true.

Im still not a big fan of honda transmissions though either.

Drive an S2000. No other gearbox compares. You will be a huge fan after that.

AlphaSnake said:

VW gearboxes are hilarious. I've driven a stick MKV GTI a number of times and the shifter is so shitty and numb. Can't even tell what gear you're in because the throws are so wide and vague.

It reminded me of the time I drove a friend's '92 Sentra 4-speed. LOL

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
BoobPhysics101 said:
Drive an S2000. No other gearbox compares. You will be a huge fan after that.
I drove my friend's S2000 and didn't find the gearbox to be anything particularly amazing. Didn't feel much different from my Speed6's.

reilo said:
I drove my friend's S2000 and didn't find the gearbox to be anything particularly amazing. Didn't feel much different from my Speed6's.

Then why do so many people praise it? Drivers, journos, etc. Maybe we're all just crazy and full of shit, no? Many times I've seen it referred to as 'the best gearbox ever put into a production car.'

Also, maybe his gearbox was fucked up. You have to change the fluid every 10k miles at the very least.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
BoobPhysics101 said:
Then why do so many people praise it? Drivers, journos, etc. Maybe we're all just crazy and full of shit, no?
I am only speaking from my own experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom