• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Halvie said:
What car?

Seem a lot of the "tuner" cars have aftermarket options. VW FSI. Soon VW TSI. EVO/WRX/SRT4/Cobalt SS. Most people seem fairly shocked when I tell them there are no current aftermarket injectors/pump for my car.
Mazdaspeed6.

reilo

Halvie said:
what does it share with vw engines?
It shares the fuel-pump with VW engines, not engine components themselves.

Although the Speed6 does use a K04 turbo that all the VW boys are jealous of for some reason.

Halvie

Banned
reilo said:
It shares the fuel-pump with VW engines, not engine components themselves.

Although the Speed6 does use a K04 turbo that all the VW boys are jealous of for some reason.

Did you get the APR fuel pump, or the auteck or whoever makes it...don't have fsi, so don't keep up with that as much.

broke vw fanboys maybe. k04 was boring. gt28rs was boring. 3071r with billet wheel is still kinda boring...i want a different car.

reilo

Halvie said:
Did you get the APR fuel pump, or the auteck or whoever makes it...don't have fsi, so don't keep up with that as much.
There are a few HPFP upgrades out there. KMD, CP-e, and PT-P make it. I run the PT-P now and I am just waiting for it to bite the bullet because I know so many Speed guys that run and it has failed on them dramatically. It has gotten the nickname "PT-Penis" and the guy that makes the internals is an asshole. KMD apparently is the way to go.
broke vw fanboys maybe. k04 was boring. gt28rs was boring. 3071r with billet wheel is still kinda boring...i want a different car.
What car do you have right now?

Halvie

Banned
reilo said:
There are a few HPFP upgrades out there. KMD, CP-e, and PT-P make it. I run the PT-P now and I am just waiting for it to bite the bullet because I know so many Speed guys that run and it has failed on them dramatically. It has gotten the nickname "PT-Penis" and the guy that makes the internals is an asshole. KMD apparently is the way to go.

What car do you have right now?

Does the APR one fit your engine? That is by far the best for the FSI. If it does I would look into that one.

Lame build thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5459935-Halvie-s-B-amp-B-thread

dyno is with the 28rs. Not supposed to be telling people I have something bigger on, but figure nobody who would care is on gaf.

should be close to 430whp when the injectors and new tune are finally release...only been like a fucking year of waiting :(

reilo

Halvie said:
Does the APR one fit your engine? That is by far the best for the FSI. If it does I would look into that one.
Not sure.

Lame build thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5459935-Halvie-s-B-amp-B-thread

dyno is with the 28rs. Not supposed to be telling people I have something bigger on, but figure nobody who would care is on gaf.

should be close to 430whp when the injectors and new tune are finally release...only been like a fucking year of waiting :(
Nice! What model turbo is that?

My buddy just put in a ATP GT3071R (Garrett turbo) into his Speed6, but his PT-Penis fuel pump kept taking a shit on him so he's now about to switch to KMDs so he can finally tune his car properly.

Halvie

Banned
reilo said:
Not sure.

Nice! What model turbo is that?

My buddy just put in a ATP GT3071R (Garrett turbo) into his Speed6, but his PT-Penis fuel pump kept taking a shit on him so he's now about to switch to KMDs so he can finally tune his car properly.

has a custom gt3071r on it now. The dyno is from a gt28rs, and lower dyno is a k04.

3071r is nice. Friends car should be pretty beastly once he gets the fueling/tune worked out.

reilo

Halvie said:
has a custom gt3071r on it now. The dyno is from a gt28rs, and lower dyno is a k04.

3071r is nice. Friends car should be pretty beastly once he gets the fueling/tune worked out.
I'm also lucky up here in Portland to have one of the premier tuners/performance shops in the country in Surgeline, and the fact how awesome the Cobb AccessPort is. It makes our tuning lives so much easier.

I'm on the fence about modding my car out that much, simply because I am debating upgrading to a S4 (or 2013 S5) next summer if the finances pan out. It's a really tough decision for me though since I love the Speed6 so much. We'll see!

Gotta get use to the whole new BMW name scheme.

So after a few days with the MINI Coupe... I love it. The car sits and hugs the ground so well. Drives better than my R56 07 Cooper S by leaps and bounds.

Aguirre

some kid today thought he'd take me in his little noisy golf gti. little did he know i was running a tuned 4.2 straight 6 with an auto transmission that has a super awesome POWER BUTTON

Aguirre said:
some kid today thought he'd take me in his little noisy golf gti. little did he know i was running a tuned 4.2 straight 6 with an auto transmission that has a super awesome POWER BUTTON

sweet kill dude.

h1nch

reilo said:
I hope they fixed that fuel pump...

The 2011s actually have a completely different engine with the newer HPFP that BMW has been replacing under the voluntary recall.

I think it looks great overall. There are a few things that bug me like the shape of the front end, but I have to say I like it a lot more than I liked the E90 when it first came out, and I absolutely LOVE the E90 look nowadays.

Speaking of, I picked up my car today! She's amazing. The performance power kit definitely gives it a louder exhaust note. I can't wait until I'm past the break in period to really open her up.

Chris R

So help out a total idiot when it comes to cars. Bought my winter tires today (blizzaks) but have one question. Is it ok that one of my tires has a different dot number than the other three? All same tires sizes ect, but one tire has a different dot id. Strange to see tires rang up as three of one plus one of another.

Just rode in a Veyron. all silver with black accents.

Oh shit, the attention. We were followed for blocks. So much vicarious SWAG to be experienced.

Thank you, based business associates.

Dreams-Visions said:

Oh shit, the attention. We were followed for blocks. So much vicarious SWAG to be experienced.

Nice. All its hyped up to be?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
rhfb said:
So help out a total idiot when it comes to cars. Bought my winter tires today (blizzaks) but have one question. Is it ok that one of my tires has a different dot number than the other three? All same tires sizes ect, but one tire has a different dot id. Strange to see tires rang up as three of one plus one of another.
As a SoCal native, the concept of "winter tires" just fascinates me.

bodyboarder said:
Nice. All its hyped up to be?
Yes, it was. What an incredible feat of engineering. So solid, so heavy...so powerful.

And the color combo was so unique...but I guess that's a big part of owning a Bugatti now. Making each one with a unique color combo.

Chris R

Angry Grimace said:
As a SoCal native, the concept of "winter tires" just fascinates me.
I didn't use any last season but I only had my car from Feb. onward. I also have a longer commute since I moved and have more hills. Never had a major issue last year so having them should make the snow and ice like asphalt.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Dreams-Visions said:

Pics or it never happened, bro.

I posted in the pick up thread but figured I would throw this in here too. I am super pumped, it is my first brand new car.

2012 Civic Si

c960f21c.jpg

49498b99.jpg

85231bae.jpg

af7edb93.jpg

Grats Capt Blood

Looks good. I always liked the speed/tach of the new Civics.

Not a huge fan of the 4 doors but its nice they have that option for functionality.

Someone grabbed a nice photo of my new Coupe S yesterday. Way better than my original shot. I'm loving the Black Bi-Xenon housings. Glad I grabbed that option.

310902_10150407526100399_560865398_10371620_896414350_n.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback.

I am going to wait to see what the FR-S looks like. It seems like it going to be very different than the concept. :(

I have 7 months to gather my thoughts, and figure out what I want.

Last time I had a clear vision of what I wanted. This time not so much.

Looking to get tints guys but have never done it before. I'm torn between getting a 35% or a 50% one on my four windows and rear one. I feel the 35% seems a bit too dark but maybe I'm overreacting.

Also, I've heard of Llumar, 3M and Sun-Gard for tint brands among others. I'm looking for a life-time warranty and scratch resistant so any brand recommendations are welcome.

My 335d comes in this Tasmanian Metallic Green:

3166755069x250.jpg

3473725453.jpg

attachment.php

Would you guys do 35% or 50% tints?

Thanks for all your help!

reilo

35% Lunar. It's what I have on my car I believe. It's not that dark, so don't fret over it. 50% is too light. Ideally, I would have 20% all around on my car, but when driving to the cost one day, the small-town cops had none of it. City cops don't give a damn.

reilo said:
35% Lunar. It's what I have on my car I believe. It's not that dark, so don't fret over it. 50% is too light. Ideally, I would have 20% all around on my car, but when driving to the cost one day, the small-town cops had none of it. City cops don't give a damn.
Thanks. I live in Toronto and I notice a lot of 50% front and 35% rear tints so I'm starting to think it might be the law here.

I don't like the staggered look at all so it would have to be full 35% or 50%.

sk3

Banned
I have 35% 3M color stable. It has a lifetime warranty. I have been very happy with it. Sometimes I think its not dark enough but 20% makes you look like a high school kid or drug dealer IMO. Also depends on the color of your car. Black with 20% tint is just way too much black. I might be tempted to get 20% with a blue, red, or white car.

I think getting the same all around is the best way to go. You draw less attention to it. A cop glancing at it might just think its factory and not notice it.

reilo

sk3 said:
I have 35% 3M color stable. It has a lifetime warranty. I have been very happy with it. Sometimes I think its not dark enough but 20% makes you look like a high school kid or drug dealer IMO. Also depends on the color of your car. Black with 20% tint is just way too much black. I might be tempted to get 20% with a blue, red, or white car.

I think getting the same all around is the best way to go. You draw less attention to it. A cop glancing at it might just think its factory and not notice it.
I'd argue that 20% on a white car is a little much because the white contrasts the dark tints so much that the 20% will look like 10%.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I used to have 35% in my old car back in the day, and it was annoying to drive in poorly lit areas. It was especially annoying parking it in those areas too. I personally don't tint my cars anymore. I have a theory...if you drive a really nice car, such as you do, there's no sense in hiding yourself in it.

This may sound extremely vain, but the first day I bought my 350Z back in 2007 I was driving around. I came to a stop at the light, and a car pulls up next to me with two hot girls...they started honking, commenting on my car, and asked to talk to me. I was flattered, but I leaned back and revealed my girlfriend sitting in the passenger side. Hahahaha.

It happened a number of times in the 350Z. And it happens even more in the 370Z. I can guarantee you that none of these people, guy or girl, would have ever attempted to make conversation if they didn't see who was actually in the car.

That's just my personal theory. Plus, here in NYC, it's less reason for cops to give you BS.

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Looking to get tints guys but have never done it before. I'm torn between getting a 35% or a 50% one on my four windows and rear one. I feel the 35% seems a bit too dark but maybe I'm overreacting.

Also, I've heard of Llumar, 3M and Sun-Gard for tint brands among others. I'm looking for a life-time warranty and scratch resistant so any brand recommendations are welcome.

My 335d comes in this Tasmanian Metallic Green:

3166755069x250.jpg

3473725453.jpg

attachment.php

Would you guys do 35% or 50% tints?

Thanks for all your help!

pj

Banned
I don't know what AlphaSnake is talking about. 35% is still see through. You're not hiding yourself and I haven't found it any more difficult driving at night.

This is what 35% color stable 3M looks like on my car
4914036290_c6a00779a3_b.jpg

h1nch

I've got 35% F1 Pinnacle (same company as Llumar) on my windows and I think it looks awesome. And the heat reduction makes a HUGE difference in South Texas.

My last car had 35% Huper Optik which was good (best heat reduction you can get), but the tint was really thick and had some complications to it. Overall I think the Pinnacle tint is better.

JayDub

Just bought a 2011 g37 coupe! I'm not much of a drivers driver, but this put a smile on my face when I floored it. I never smile driving a car.

sca2511

Just got my 2012 GTI in Shadow Blue yesterday! Just posted in the pick-up thread, thought I should post it up in here too. I'm so tempted to grab an ECU reflash for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom