• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
BoobPhysics101 said:
NO MAN, YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!

Just kidding, but now you're making me want to drive a speed6.
Make sure to drive one with a proper transmission fluid. Once I put some Redline in it, it made a world of difference. I had the misfortune on learning how to drive a stick on it, and man is that thing unforgiving. But once I mastered it, it flies.

reilo said:
Make sure to drive one with a proper transmission fluid. Once I put some Redline in it, it made a world of difference. I had the misfortune on learning how to drive a stick on it, and man is that thing unforgiving. But once I mastered it, it flies.

That might be tough. Hell, it'll be tough to even find one to drive, they're kind of rare. It would make an awesome sleeper daily driver though. Does it get decent gas mileage or is it like a WRX, low 20's at best?

reilo

BoobPhysics101 said:
That might be tough. Hell, it'll be tough to even find one to drive, they're kind of rare. It would make an awesome sleeper daily driver though. Does it get decent gas mileage or is it like a WRX, low 20's at best?
Low 20s at best (250-300miles per tank).

ascii42

Well, I got a "new" car. I bought a 1989 Buick Riviera off of eBay. Paid $3300 for it, with an additional $900 to get it shipped to my place.
It's pretty nice. Very comfortable. Has a digital instrument panel and touchscreen dash, which is pretty cool for the time. It controls the radio, AC, displays any warnings, has a compass, and even has a calendar where you can set reminders. Here's some crappy photos. I'll try to get some better ones if my iPhone 4S ever ships.
2h8d26s.jpg

20hsh6s.jpg

25fu0c6.jpg

fckvbq.jpg

ascii42

Enron said:
Holy shit its Tron
Yeah, the compass does look a bit Tron-ish. When I was a kid my grandmother had an early '90s Oldsmobile Toronado, which had a more advanced version of this. It was actually in color. It was the coolest thing in the world to me at the time.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
ascii42 said:
Well, I got a "new" car. I bought a 1989 Buick Riviera off of eBay. Paid $3300 for it, with an additional $900 to get it shipped to my place.
It's pretty nice. Very comfortable. Has a digital instrument panel and touchscreen dash, which is pretty cool for the time. It controls the radio, AC, displays any warnings, has a compass, and even has a calendar where you can set reminders. Here's some crappy photos. I'll try to get some better ones if my iPhone 4S ever ships.
2h8d26s.jpg

20hsh6s.jpg

25fu0c6.jpg

fckvbq.jpg

Holy shit...that is awesome!!

reilo

Wait, the 2010+ Audi S4 weighs 3850lbs? /grumble

I thought they lowered the curb weight with the new engine. That's 100lbs more than the M3 sedan. I guess the AWD system takes up a huge chunk of that, huh?

AlphaSnake

Zyzyxxz said:
That Mazda concept makes it look like an affordable version of the Tesla Model S

FUCK! That's what it is. It's been bothering me since I saw it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Apparently this is what the Toyobaru is going to look like. God they fucked up the nose so bad. Looked so bad on the last two concepts, still looks bad now. Looks overdesigned, like a Toyota in the front and.. a subaru in the back. EDIT: Derp, its from an modellista catalogue. I hope that's heavily modified though, shape of headlights and nose is still bad.

Also the new 3 series is one of the ugliest vehicles ever conceived by man. Who knew that Bangle leaving would produce even a single terribad looking BMW. It looks constipated at the nose.

Rengoku

enzo_gt said:
Apparently this is what the Toyobaru is going to look like. God they fucked up the nose so bad. Looked so bad on the last two concepts, still looks bad now. Looks overdesigned, like a Toyota in the front and.. a subaru in the back. EDIT: Derp, its from an modellista catalogue. I hope that's heavily modified though, shape of headlights and nose is still bad.

Also the new 3 series is one of the ugliest vehicles ever conceived by man. Who knew that Bangle leaving would produce even a single terribad looking BMW. It looks constipated at the nose.

Agreed on both cars. The concept ft-86 looked much better, I was really hoping it would turn out good. So what are our other options, the Scion FR-S and Subaru's version? Perhaps those will turn out better.

As for the 3 series, I didn't like the E90 (last gen) either, but I did like the E92 (Coupe). But from what I understand, there won't be a 3 series coupe anymore? That the new coupe will instead be labeled as the 4 series?

AlphaSnake

TurtleSnatcher said:
Can barely tell the difference from the 2010 model my boss drives...

Really? The headlights are completely different shape...rectangular vs. well...something very angled. Different lighting pattern too. Different grille (note the bars are now horizontal).

2010_audi_s4_19.jpg

reilo

Not sure about the honeycomb in the fog-lights, but that's such a minor nitpick when a car looks that damn good.

AlphaSnake

Tails are now longer and don't have that ugly dip at the narrow point closest to the center of the trunk. This is the old car:

epcp_0903_06_z+2010_audi_s4+rear_view.jpg

This is the new car:
13-audis4-06-627x416.jpg

sk3

Banned
What do you need to protect your taillights from? I've never seen them haze over.

For headlights I just rub them down with plastx once or twice a year. It seems to do a good job of preventing any buildup.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Epic Tales of Penis said:
What do you guys think of protective film covers for headlights and taillights?
I use them. But only because I go off roading.

Though I have seen a rock smash out headlights before on the highway, it's extremely rare. I'd be more worried about the windshield with rocks.

JayDub

AlphaSnake said:
Tails are now longer and don't have that ugly dip at the narrow point closest to the center of the trunk. This is the old car:

*comparison pics*

Thanks for the Alpha. I was struggling to find the difference between the updated and old models (except for AWESOME new headlights). I always thought the rearend of the A4 looked..off. Now that the taillights are longer it might complete the looks.

To have those 2 pics side by side really highlights the difference.

AlphaSnake

Yep, I agree. The tails of the S4 used to look like sad clown eyes with the way they drooped down. Now they basically have the A6's taillights, which is nice.

AlphaSnake

enzo_gt said:

This car is a fuckton of fail. From that ghastly interior, to the anemic power (210HP/180TQ), to the bland, boring, and uninspired rear end. After all that time, this is what they bring us? What a joke. Plus, the concept model weighed in at 2800lbs without a whole bunch of safety accessories and such. Expect this "lightweight" to come in at just over 3000lbs in its production form once the requisite airbags and safety features are put in.

Plus with a rumored price tag of $24K (for a fucking Scion, seriously!?), why in God's name would anyone buy this over a used 370Z? Or hell, a new base 370Z with a dealer incentive. Unless there's a high-powered 300HP turbo version in the works set to debut in the same year, this one is a sitting duck.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
This car is a fuckton of fail. From that ghastly interior, to the anemic power (210HP/180TQ), to the bland, boring, and uninspired rear end. After all that time, this is what they bring us? What a joke. Plus, the concept model weighed in at 2800lbs without a whole bunch of safety accessories and such. Expect this "lightweight" to come in at just over 3000lbs in its production form once the requisite airbags and safety features are put in.

Plus with a rumored price tag of $24K (for a fucking Scion, seriously!?), why in God's name would anyone buy this over a used 370Z? Or hell, a new base 370Z with a dealer incentive. Unless there's a high-powered 300HP turbo version in the works set to debut in the same year, this one is a sitting duck.
I never had any hope in post-2000 Toyota producing a proper coupe. Why people were so hyped about this car, I do not know.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a hybrid version before a 300HP turbo version.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
I never had any hope in post-2000 Toyota producing a proper coupe. Why people were so hyped about this car, I do not know.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a hybrid version before a 300HP turbo version.

Haha, seriously.

I was excited initially by the prospect of a Toyota sports car that may compete with the Z. And then someone at Toyota slipped and mentioned this would be a car to take on the MX-5 Miata - at which point I LOL'd and stopped caring.

AlphaSnake said:
Haha, seriously.

I was excited initially by the prospect of a Toyota sports car that may compete with the Z. And then someone at Toyota slipped and mentioned this would be a car to take on the MX-5 Miata - at which point I LOL'd and stopped caring.

There were rumours that it would compete with a 350/370? I didn't expect much in the way of power when they said it was inspired by the AE86.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Haha, seriously.

Compete with a Miata? A coupe? While being 700lbs+ heavier? Oh Toyota lol.

reilo

OuterWorldVoice said:
Holy shit. What was up with the writing in that article? Did anyone read the text. It sucked life, humor and information out of the universe. I now know less about the car than I did before.
Those are the hazards of reading a Gawker website.

They own Kotaku and Gizmodo

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Here it is, the first US-spec Fiat 500 Abarth spotted in the wild.

US%252520Fiat%252520500%252520Abarth.jpg

US%252520Fiat%252520500%252520Abarth%252520Back.jpg

US%252520Fiat%252520500%252520Abarth%252520side.jpg

US%252520Fiat%252520500%252520Abarth%252520interior.jpg

The only visual differences between the US-spec version and the European version involve the placement of the fuel filler and the license plate holder being reshaped to accommodate US license plates, two things that are also true with the non-Abarth models.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/31/fiat-500-abarth-finally-lands-in-the-u-s-w-video/

The Fiat press conference at the LA Auto show where they'll unveil the US-spec Abarth is going to be November 16th, at 1:35PM Pacific time. If any GAFfers are going, take pics. Rumor has it that Fiat may have the 500 electric vehicle on hand for ride-and-drive demos, too.

cajunator

Banned
the FRS is horrible. Just a typical Toyota styling fuckup like the others.

Not too keen on the side sculpting of the Mazda either. It is way too busy and appears "sliced up". The diagonal bodylines between the two fender curves is overkill and ruins the flow of it.

reilo

Apparently these are the FR-S specs:
If the site's translations are accurate, the vehicle will boast a 2.0-liter flat-four producing 197 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and 150 pound-feet of torque at 6,600 rpm. While not overwhelming numbers, if the handling is as good as we've been hearing, the powertrain should be enough to hustle the 2,667-pound coupe around your favorite twisty road at a respectable pace.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/31/toyota-ft-86-scion-fr-s-specs-leaked-via-training-manual/

AlphaSnake

Holy shit that is fucking weak, dat non-existent torque. Somehow, I'm reminded of the RX8 all over again. And I still highly doubt they will get the car to weigh in under 2700lbs if the concept was 2800lbs. Add a full tank of gas + all fluids, you've got a car closer to 3000lbs.

AlphaSnake

This is also coming with a 6AT? Heh. 17s are the largest available tire with a 215MM width? Fail. Fail. And more fail.

Again, I get they're trying to aim at the MX-5 Miata...but that is not Toyota's market anymore. Toyota needed a sledgehammer, some DNA from the LFA and ISF to trickle into the more affordable consumer base. They needed to make a splash with this car by announcing a turbo-4 with 250HP first, and then an entry N/A model. They now have this gigantic rift in their sport offerings: a $24K piece of slow plastic, or a $60K 420HP Lexus IS-F.

Herpderp

Toyota's marketing has gone to the shitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom