• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best Rapper Alive, Every Year Since 1979 | Complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compbros

Did no other rapper release anything for Jay-Z to be considered the best of 09?

Edit: NVM 09, how the hell do you give T.I. 04? Other mainstream releases in 04.

Twista - Kamikaze
Kanye West - College Dropout
Jadakiss - Kiss of Death
LLoyd Banks - The Hunger for More
Young Buck - Straight Outta Cashville
Talib Kweli - The Beautiful Struggle
Cam'ron - Purple Haze
Ludacris - The Red Light District

Might be one of the most stacked years and they give it to T.I. with Urban Legend?

Apt101

This reads like a list of the best rappers according to pop music analysts. I don't mean to sound like a snob but 50% of this list comes off as a list of rappers teenagers in that given year would be voting on to see their videos on MTV.

HiiiLife

"why isn't _____ underground rapper on a list of top rappers*"

*based on relevancy and pop culture status

*made by teens.

*wheres logic?

TissueBox

It is a list curbing on the stream of mainness and for that it's good...but it did make me laugh at some points. o_O

Like everyone else I could go "Where's XXX??" and lay down the grief in a paradoxical state of mind...so hay, what the friggle: No Missy Elliott?? (sigh) Sure, she may be somewhat under-the-radar these days and an acquired taste for some -- regarding her being 'great' or 'good' -- but I'm biased and think she owned '02. :p One day, a list will come...

Ivan 3414

*made by teens.

*wheres logic?

*looks at username*

lol.

Lol @ people thinking this list is based solely on quality as well. It should have been quite clear from the beginning it was not that sort of list. Not sure it have to be. At any rate Edan or whatever the fuck hipster rapper yall want on here did not run hip-hop at any point to even make sense on this list.

KiLLaDeZo

Worst list ever. I don't know how anybody takes these lists serious, Niki minaj ? drake? Eminem ? Jay-z ??? Get outta here with that pop shiz

2 pac and Nas only have 1 year each ? Yet they are the 2 best rappers of all time.

LosDaddie

Banned
In a thread full of dumb shit, this might be the most stupid.

If this was by white people there would be zero big names on it. Replace Weezy with Atmosphere once and squeeze Deltron on the list and we could talk about your theory being anything but ridiculous.

What's wrong with Atmosphere?

SoulClap

List seems decent, I'd have made a few changes

91: Ice Cube (Love Tribe but Cube was a better rapper)
92: Kool G Rap (Gotta give it to G Rap at least one year)
95: On a personal level it's GZA, although it's hard to argue with Biggie
98: Andre, Aceyalone, Pun and G Rap were all much better rappers than X that year
2000: Ghostface easily, Supreme Clientele is better than anything Em has ever done.

Once the list gets past 2000 I can't say I really care.

Erv

Has anybody mentioned how canibus should have been on the list for the sheer fact he was drastically outshining everyone on songs when he came out. I mean i guess you could exclude him because his album was a letdown, but when I think of best rapper I think of being witty,clever,and hungry. Nas didn't even want to do a verse on a song with canibus so he just opted to do the chorus. lol. oh well why should i be mad this is Complex.

going through this thread i wouldn't doubt if a lot of people don't even know who canibus is and if you don't that aint hip hop to me.

nicanica

List seems decent, I'd have made a few changes

91: Ice Cube (Love Tribe but Cube was a better rapper)
92: Kool G Rap (Gotta give it to G Rap at least one year)
95: On a personal level it's GZA, although it's hard to argue with Biggie
98: Andre, Aceyalone, Pun and G Rap were all much better rappers than X that year
2000: Ghostface easily, Supreme Clientele is better than anything Em has ever done.

Once the list gets past 2000 I can't say I really care.

It makes me smile knowing that I'm not alone.

Using this I can visually see when I started hating Rap music.

Cedric

Would be interested to see a best rap group list instead.

Cool idea. Furthest I'm willing to go back is NWA,

1988 - N.W.A.
1989 - De La Soul
1990 - A Tribe Called Quest
1991 - A Tribe Called Quest
1992 - Pharcyde
1993 - Wu-Tang
1994 - Gang Starr
1995 - Wu-Tang
1996 - OutKast
1997 -Wu-Tang
1998 - OutKast
1999 - The Roots (?)

That's about as far as I can think. OutKast probably reappears a few times in the 2000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom