• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best Souls-like game from FromSoft is...?

What's the best Souls-like game from FromSoft?

• Total voters

LakeOf9

It's been 15 years since FromSoft invented a whole new genre overnight with Demon'S Souls. Since then, their influence has been felt in the many games that borrow from them, either pieceameal or wholesale. But FromSoft is the one that does this the best, even if so many others are also trying it. And FromSoft themselves have tried this mltiple times. The question now is, which one of their outings you think thhe best one is, and why.

Mr Hyde

Bloodborne is the GOAT Souls of all time. A bonafide masterpiece. Doubt we'll see anything like it ever again.

page gameplay GIF

ssringo

It's Elden Ring. Culmination of everything they've done with the format.

Perhaps it'd be different if Dark Souls Remastered had included a reworked Lost Izalith and Bed of Chaos or if Bloodborne ever leaves the weak hardware it's currently tied to.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

bender

What time is it?
It's a toss up between Demon Souls (originated the formula, Tower of Latria) and Bloodborne (favorite combat and overall setting). After that I'd give it to Dark Souls (great lever design but the last 3rd drags down the overall experience), then Dark Souls 3 (a consistent experience but started some of encounter/boss design trends that I don't care for), followed by Elden Ring and finally DS2. I'm going to replay DS3 soon so it could shift in my ranking.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

From a first playthrough perspective, Elden Ring for me. For repeat playthroughs, Bloodborne. The open world of Elden Ring is quite amazing, but the open world drags on for me in subsequent playthroughs. For that I prefer the more linear experience.

I found Bloodborne to be overall easier (not including DLC content), but I love the aesthetic. I just wish they remastered the game or launched it on PC. I hate how poorly the game runs towards the end, particularly in the swamps. Pretty choppy.

rm082e

No question - Bloodborne by a country mile. I love all of them, but that one was the perfect balance of aggression, gameplay systems, item management, atmosphere, and replayability. The only problem with it was the frame rate, which is why we want a patch, remaster, or remake so badly. At a rock solid 60fps, that game would be perfect.

Holammer

IMO, the puzzle box design of Dark Souls was more interesting than the open world in Elden Ring. Areas like Raya Lucaria had elements of it, but it did not shrink the world like knocking down a ladder or opening a door could.
I'll go with DS1 even if the sequels might be better and more technically accomplished games.

Paltheos

1) Dark Souls 3
1) Bloodborne
3) Elden Ring
4) Dark Souls
5) Demon's Souls
6) Dark Souls 2

I flip-flop on #1. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say Dark Souls 3, but each game has its own strengths and weaknesses. Bloodborne would be #1 without a doubt if vials refreshed on death. I really want it to be #1 but can't justify it.

The new DLC for Elden Ring pushed it up a bit. The base game has so many problems, many of which are still present in the DLC, but it's a more solid package imo. Previously I think I'd put Elden Ring in a tie with Dark Souls 1, but now it's a firm step ahead.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Bloodborne. Its the most tightly focussed of all of FROM's games.

Elden Ring despite its intricate world-building is barely a story, and just kinda drifts along to its conclusion with little sense of escalation or purpose.

Last edited:

Weezard

Neo Member
For me its Elden Ring, especially the first playthrough.

However Demons Souls, Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 will always have a place in my hearth.

Top Bottom