• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best Souls-like game from FromSoft is...?

What's the best Souls-like game from FromSoft?

• Total voters

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It’s really tough choosing between Elden Ring and Bloodborne but I have to go with Elden Ring.

The build variety is crazy in Elden Ring and it super fun to mess around with different type of builds.

Last edited:
Demon's Souls. The purity of it can't be beaten. You can always find something to cut in the others games. Demon's Souls can't be cut, or it would not work. Even the weird shit like word tendencies.

Dark Souls 3. Its so smooth and the level design is masterful.
krA2G75.jpeg

Playing Dark Souls 3 looks like this.

DragonNCM

Bloodborne.

It's perfection.

Elden ring is amazing but I can find faults worth criticizing.
Only fault for Elden Ring is that is FUCKING HUGE & with DLC it is even bigger.
Started new game+5 & wanted to revisit all & it is damn time spending sucker.
I have doubt they will do it again with their next game.
Something more in lane like Bloodborn or DS 3 will be better.

StueyDuck

Well yeah. But because of that there is alot of repetition in the game. Especially the final 3rd is alot of the same reskinned bosses and enemies.

Same with the dungeons and so on.

But again thats finding faults.

Bernardougf

Is Sekiro. But I voted bloodborne because is a close tie.

SeKiro/Bloodborne > Demons Souls > DS1>DS3>DS2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> elden boRing

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Dark Souls without any contest for me.
Bloodborne is a really close second.

No others game succeed to reach this level to me.

1. Dark Souls
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Dark Souls 3
  4. Demon's Souls
  5. Elden Ring
  6. Dark Souls 2

Long time I haven't play DS2 (haven't play SOtFS) but I start to think I would put it before Elden Ring.
Elden Ring is great and incredible but the open world too large and the too many boss and minor dungeon repetitions are some annoying flaw to me.
I am more for the more linear and focus experience that previous Soulsborne offer.

Bernardougf

I love Sekiro I would even go as far as say it’s my favourite FROM game but it’s not “Souls” game. Like Armored Core, it own thing rather than be part of Souls series.
I find sekiro more in tune with the Souls spirit than Elden Ring and its open world and ash summons bullshit ... but I get your point.

Bernardougf

Dark Souls without any contest for me.
Bloodborne is a really close second.

No others game succeed to reach this level to me.

1. Dark Souls
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Dark Souls 3
  4. Demon's Souls
  5. Elden Ring
  6. Dark Souls 2

Long time I haven't play DS2 (haven't play SOtFS) but I start to think I would put it before Elden Ring.
Elden Ring is great and incredible but the open world too large and the too many boss and minor dungeon repetitions are some annoying flaw to me.
I am more for the more linear and focus experience that previous Soulsborne offer.
Play Sotfs is miles and miles better than ER.

LakeOf9

There are a lot of very legitimate shortcomings and flaws in Elden Ring that its fans dont want to talk about and acknowledge

Sacred

ER by far, it the easiest game to lose hours and do 100 different things. It is also super easy to pickup for 10 minutes when you don't have much time. The variety of builds, weapons, spells, armor, ect.. is mind blowing. Sekiro would be a distant second.

Kings Field

I used to have BB above them all but with the Elden Ring DLC I have it trumping BB by a slim margin. The ER DLC is just perfection in my eyes and brings the whole package together.

1. ER
2. BB
3. DS1
4. DS3
5. DS
6. Sekiro
7. DS2

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Bloodborne is currently winning by a decent margin. My faith in this forum has never been stronger. 💪

Soodanim

Disclaimer: I've never played BB.

It's tempting to jump in and say ER, and I wouldn't necessarily be wrong. But I think dismissing DS1, which is the purest DS of them all, is being a bit hasty.

It's undeniable that after DS1, or more specifically after BB, Miyzaki's BB boner never quite went down. BB is probably great for BB, but DS isn't BB. DS3 wants and tries to be BB, but not in all regards and that leaves it somewhat confused. It's still fantastic, don't get me wrong. But it's always there.

ER is fantastic, that's without question. But it isn't without its flaws. Even as I'm playing the DLC and having a brilliant time the flaws are there.

DS1 my any means perfect, but all DS1 really needed was to be finished. If the end part wasn't so different in quality to the rest of the game, I think it would get more top spot rankings in the same way that BB does.

Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

If only every game could be so grossly incandescent.

winjer

Gold Member
As someone who played Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin a few months ago, seeing it with no votes, so far, is quite fitting.
Damn, that game has a ton of issues.

ssringo

The reason I think highly of BB is almost entirely because of The Old Hunters. Base game BB was a two run and done for me which was the outlier in From's catalog.

Sentenza

I was for years a supporter of the "the first Dark Souls has yet to be topped", in terms of map layout, internal consistency, level design, atmosphere, etc... but I think that ALL THINGS considered, Elden Ring now took its spot. Bigger, more visually striking, better core mechanics, etc.

There's a lot to like about Bloodborne, too, especially in terms of visuals and atmosphere, but aside for the setting (victorian gothic is cool) I don't think it actually does a single thing better than ER.
It's also the only one that can only be played on garbage-tier hardware, so there's that, too.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The reason I think highly of BB is almost entirely because of The Old Hunters. Base game BB was a two run and done for me which was the outlier in From's catalog.
I love Bloodborne but I kind of agree, most of its most memorable bosses are from the Old Hunter DLC rather than base game.

Last edited:

Soodanim

That would be Demon's Souls my guy.
DeS is DeS, and had to make mistakes so DS could learn from them and not have carry weight limits. It's arguably a prototype Dark Souls. Not that it's bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it went a bit crazy with some ideas. World Tendency being influenced by online activity basically shut off that entire feature for anyone looking to manipulate it.

DS3 took a lot from DeS with its strong focus on the hub space and dedicated pathways with dead ends that function like soft X-3 stages.

DS1 was more about learning from the mistakes and doing something (same same, but) different. It was a web of loops that nothing since has quite managed to replicate.

bender

What time is it?

I'd say it has way more faults than that but its' size kills my desire to revisit it I've done two playthroughs now (the second for the DLC) and my first playthrough clocked in at 245 hours and my second is at 264. Granted I play these mostly in co-op with a buddy and do enjoy some messing around in PVP, but the through of replaying it is just daunting.

RyRy93

1. Bloodborne
2. DS1
3. DS3
4. Sekiro
5. Elden Ring

Haven’t played the others, they are all 9-10/10 games IMO.

Bloodborne is just perfect, DS1 would just pip it if it wasn’t for some terrible late game sections.

tossup between Elden Ring and Bloodborne. ER refines the formula and increases the scope of it significantly. BB is more of a sidegrade but unfortunately, save many of the best bits in the DLC.

I personally never like Sekiro. It's a rhythm game in disguise. Also never like how you have to farm the consumable to use combat arts.

AALLx

BB > Sekiro > DS1 > ER > DS3 > DeS >>> DS2

My first soulsborne is Demon's Souls and have played everything aside from DeS on release date.

Last edited:
Obviously Dark Souls but the others all have their strengths. The aesthetic of Bloodborne is superb, but the level design of Dark Souls - and the fact that no fast travel until the Lord Vessel makes you learn the World is just perfect - not to mention the variety of builds give you multiple games in one.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Bloodborne, Elden Ring is second but overstays its welcome. It should have ended at the Royal Capital IMO. Everything after feels unnecessary and boring.

How? The atmosphere is just sublime. Central Yharnam, Old Yharnam, Forbidden Woods, Cathedral Ward, Upper Cathedral Ward. Bloodborne is almost perfect.
Agreed. Cainhurst Castle alone is better than any area in DLC. The base game had great bosses as well.
bloodborne___vicar_amelia_by_oniruu-daopxce.jpg

latest

Paarl%20Extra%201.jpg

bloodborne___blood_starved_beast_by_oniruu_dalngta-fullview.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I do think the trick weapons are the best FROM has ever done. And dodge stepping >> roll for me. And it's not like BB is lacking in the art direction department or anything like that...

Despite considering Elden Ring the greatest game I've ever played as of right now, this thread is kind of making me think that BB is actually closest to my heart if they ever fixed it up for modern times.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I'll consider BB when it gets updated or comes to PC at 60fps+ and it's given the ability to reset without having to go to the Hunter's Dream. Let me reset monsters especially when I have to farm bullets and potions...

Top Bottom