• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

SalsaShark said:
? by using that solution?

edit: ugh, reinstalling steam? D:

I restarted steam after last patch it dled the patch then when i joined a game it gave me all the achievements retro-active.

Sober

Dunno if anyone posted it, but you can blow up the gambling machines with bombs (accidentally did it) and they drop stuff - I got 2 coins and a bomb. Dunno, might be worth it to just blow it up vs. gambling it away.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I just finished the entire game for the second time. Found the Bible, and it is awesome
it kills Mom AND her heart instantly

I've put 30+ hours into this game, amazing. Tip: give money to beggars until they disappear if you can afford it.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Sober said:
Dunno if anyone posted it, but you can blow up the gambling machines with bombs (accidentally did it) and they drop stuff - I got 2 coins and a bomb. Dunno, might be worth it to just blow it up vs. gambling it away.
works on the beggar and the blood machine too.

sophora

Gifted it by a close friend, loving every second of it. Been playing here and there, haven't done my first playthrough yet of it though. Could of gotten pretty far one playthrough, the 4th floor, but had to go :/

Brobzoid

Spookie said:
Does he give anything of value out? I got a dollar off the gambling machine.
drops stuff, yeah. hearts or coins usually. I suppose it's the same he would have given you if you fed him the money? I only played nice with him once, so I don't know if he ever gives out more fanciful things.

backlot

Brobzoid said:
drops stuff, yeah. hearts or coins usually. I suppose it's the same he would have given you if you fed in the money? I only played nice with him once, so I don't know if he ever gives out more fanciful things.
I think I've had him drop pills before.

3chopl0x said:
i0EHDkBqR3F44.png
Making a game to sell on Steam? Don't use flash. Game looks great but man you would think that after the savegame/controller/etc complaints in VVVVVV and Machinarium that devs would think twice about using flash for a commercial game.

xelios

Spookie said:
Does he give anything of value out? I got a dollar off the gambling machine.

If you give the beggar money until he disappears (~10 cents or so, more or less) he can drop things such as a ladder or food (extra heart).

You can get pretty flies that surround you like a barrier from the slots.

From the skull cup game you can get poo on your head where flies won't hurt you (may be only past a certain floor that it shows up).

Salsa

It just boggles my mind how people are complaining so much about having to run a 100kb software in the background to enjoy perfectly good controller options. The game was made in 120 days as part of Edmund's vacation, he used flash because its what he and Florian know. Its not meant to be a huge great project that's gonna bring them millions of dollars, its a side project.

Is no controller support from the get go bad? damn right it is, is it enough to bitch endlessly about it on a game made on a platform where it is impossible to add controller support? fuck no.

All i know is this is a game made in a super short period of time, by just 2 dudes, and they're giving me an experience that is damn hard to find these days anywhere else. I can manage the glitches/issues (that they continue to fix) when i paid just 5 dollars for a game this engrossing.

Sykotik

Nabs said:
This game is the shit.

and it took 2 seconds to create a good xpadder config.

Fuck, yeah. I love Xpadder. Game is also Fuck, yeah-able.

I'd also like to state, on the record, that my game is officially saving and I didn't lose my womb kill progress.

SalsaShark said:
It just boggles my mind how people are complaining so much about having to run a 100kb software in the background to enjoy perfectly good controller options. The game was made in 120 days as part of Edmund's vacation, he used flash because its what he and Florian know. Its not meant to be a huge great project that's gonna bring them millions of dollars, its a side project.

Is no controller support from the get go bad? damn right it is, is it enough to bitch endlessly about it on a game made on a platform where it is impossible to add controller support? fuck no.

All i know is this is a game made in a super short period of time, by just 2 dudes, and they're giving me an experience that is damn hard to find these days anywhere else. I can manage the glitches/issues (that they continue to fix) when i paid just 5 dollars for a game this engrossing.
None of this changes the fact that Flash is awful.

Salsa

Togglesworlh said:
None of this changes the fact that Flash is awful.

Its not awful, its suited for certain things and not suited for others. Its perfectly suited for a game made in this amount of time and for this kind of money. They already fixed the save bugs and whatnot, only "issue" it has now is that the platform doesnt allow for gamepad support, and as stated many many times before, the fix is beyond easy. People who bitch are just looking to bitch, i really cant understand how anyone could complain about anything in this package other than genuinely not liking the game.

Brobzoid

edmund's nuts are gonna fall off from blood loss if you don't let up a little salsa. It's not like people thinking flash is trashy is gonna bankrupt team meat.

BigAT

I got my third game completion this afternoon and have now beaten it with all the characters. Judas was definitely the hardest of the four I think. I was fine with Cain's starting two hearts, but starting with just a single heart leaves so little room for error it makes the first couple of levels really difficult.

Salsa

Brobzoid said:
edmund's nuts are gonna fall off from blood loss if you don't let up a little salsa. It's not like people thinking flash is trashy is gonna bankrupt team meat.

.. seriously dude?

a dude makes one of my favorite games of all time and now creates a new project, and i try to support it on GAF (check the first couple pages, very little interest), and you accusing me of sucking the dude's balls or something? why dont you go bitch about people sucking EA's nuts, being supportive of companies that constantly screw them over.

I never even commented and went all out about how "OMG AMAZING" the game is, all ive been doing in this thread is either making workarounds to people with issues or posting questions i made to Edmund in order to fix problems you guys are having.

Brobzoid

arguing that the game being flash isn't a valid complaint and that people complaining are only doing it for the shits and giggles is closer to fanboy white knighting than support, I'd say.

Salsa

Brobzoid said:
arguing that the game being flash isn't a valid complaint and that people complaining are only doing it for the shits and giggles is closer to fanboy white knighting than support, I'd say.

people are not complaining, but dismissing a game that is 5 dollars and holds a huge amount of content and replayability over the fact that it doesnt have native controller support, EVEN after the fact that there's an easy fix for it since day 1 that i even made easier by just downloading a file and running it.

does that seem more fanboy-ish than common sense to you? really?

I never said the game being flash isnt a valid complaint either, i said flash is good for some things and not for others, and i was responding to a "flash is shit" statement, wich i dont think its true.

SalsaShark said:
people are not complaining, but dismissing a game that is 5 dollars and holds a huge amount of content and replayability over the fact that it doesnt have native controller support, EVEN after the fact that there's an easy fix for it since day 1 that i even made easier by just downloading a file and running it.

does that seem more fanboy-ish than common sense to you? really?

I never said the game being flash isnt a valid complaint either, i said flash is good for some things and not for others, and i was responding to a "flash is shit" statement, wich i dont think its true.
Flash is not shit, it has a lot of uses. I am just saying for a commercial game like this they should probably consider doing an engine rewrite in something else if this turns out to be a bonafide hit (much like what happened to VVVVVV). This seems like a high quality game and I will pick it up regardless eventually but it just seems strange.

Brobzoid

"People who bitch are just looking to bitch, i really cant understand how anyone could complain about anything in this package other than genuinely not liking the game." Does seem more fanboy-ish than common sense to me, yes.

Additionally, the issue of no gamepad support persists on mac as far as I'm aware.

Salsa

Brobzoid said:
"People who bitch are just looking to bitch, i really cant understand how anyone could complain about anything in this package other than genuinely not liking the game." Does seem more fanboy-ish than common sense to me, yes.

That's probably because you are reading that statement without considering what i mean by it. Does that in any way conflict with what i just said? game is 5 bucks, infinetly replayable, tons of content, free patch coming in October that adds even more, and people dismissing/not buying because no controller support, with the fix being right there in front of their eyes. Am i wrong here?

mannerbot

Ok, come up with a workaround for the framerate issues that people are having. I'd like to play a game instead of a slideshow.

Red

Brobzoid said:

Additionally, the issue of no gamepad support persists on mac as far as I'm aware.
Do xpadder and joy2key not work on Mac? Because there's no problem using a gamepad there.

SalsaShark said:
Its not awful, its suited for certain things and not suited for others. Its perfectly suited for a game made in this amount of time and for this kind of money. They already fixed the save bugs and whatnot, only "issue" it has now is that the platform doesnt allow for gamepad support, and as stated many many times before, the fix is beyond easy. People who bitch are just looking to bitch, i really cant understand how anyone could complain about anything in this package other than genuinely not liking the game.
The ONLY thing Flash is good for is making games in a hurry. Absolutely nothing else. And what happens when you make games in a hurry...?

I love this game, but it would have been better off being programmed in FORTRAN.

I still have huge framerate issues, even turning the graphical quality to low. And it's not like I have a shitty computer, because I don't.

Brobzoid

Crunched said:
Do xpadder and joy2key not work on Mac? Because there's no problem using a gamepad there.
xpadder and joy2key are windows specific I think. It might work with USB Overdrive, dunno if anyone has tried that yet.

SalsaShark said:
That's probably because you are reading that statement without considering what i mean by it. Does that in any way conflict with what i just said? game is 5 bucks, infinetly replayable, tons of content, free patch coming in October that adds even more, and people dismissing/not buying because no controller support, with the fix being right there in front of their eyes. Am i wrong here?
going through the last two pages I can't see anyone "dismissing/not buying because no controller support". Rather there are people who would like to see it get updated like VVVVVV into something other than flash. So, while you might not be wrong, you seem to be overreacting.

Salsa

Brobzoid said:
going through the last two pages I can't see anyone "dismissing/not buying because no controller support". Rather there are people who would like to see it get updated like VVVVVV into something other than flash. So, while you might not be wrong, you seem to be overreacting.

first post wasnt directed at anyone in particular, i wasnt even talking about GAF, but rather what im reading everywhere (here, steam forums, twitter, etc)

FINALBOSS

Banned
Brobzoid said:
xpadder and joy2key are windows specific I think. It might work with USB Overdrive, dunno if anyone has tried that yet.

For MAC users, I'd recommend GamePad Companion--it's on the app store and works great. Plug in usb DS3, config, unplug, wireless gamepad for this game.

Wow, that game is so much value for the price. I just got the "It lives!" achievement and was stunned to see that Steam reports a whopping 43 hours played. To be fair, I left it running in the background at times for about 5-6 hours total, but it still is scary how that game pretty much ate up my whole weekend.

Brobzoid

FINALBOSS said:
For MAC users, I'd recommend GamePad Companion--it's on the app store and works great. Plug in usb DS3, config, unplug, wireless gamepad for this game.
GamePad Companion costs twice as much as Binding of Isaac though ;-/

SamVimes

I really enjoy this game but yeah, fuck flash. I have framerate issues with this and yet i can play SF IV maxed @60 fps.

Brobzoid

yeh, if the need arises I'll probably plop down the money. Right now I can't really justify it though.

Brobzoid

I'll try out enjoy and usb overdrive and report back once I get some time on my hands.

xelios

Just finished it all the way for the 3rd time, this time with Judas. Not much changed. Gonna do it again to unlock quarters. The game doesn't lose its fun even replaying it over and over; the difficulty is perfect to keep you on the edge unless you get extremely lucky with powerups.

Wow..uh..this keyboard config bug is unfortunate.

EDIT: ah, it's just somehow forcing on AZERTY/LEFTY. Crappy and random but at least overcomable.

xelios

animlboogy said:
For those of you reporting insane hours in this game, have you checked if it's still running even when the window closes? I have a shitload of hours because of that, I mentioned it in an earlier post.

Just mentioning it again because I've seen a few people now posting about how crazy their hours logged is.

Even after the update, it still won't close properly. I have to force quit.

This happened to me the first day, showed me still playing after I closed it. Since the update I haven't had it happen to me again (can tell by it just showing me as online on Steam). I've logged almost 40 real hours so far.

Jasoco

Banned
So was the update Windows only? Because my version STILL has no Achievements and I even uninstalled and reinstalled. The game never updated and it looks like the same thing it was before. Still miscounting the play time and still no Achievements. This is frustrating! I want my achievements!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
This game awesome.

Self owned myself with the dynamite vest. smh. -_-

Good to know that you can always bomb a door to escape a room, if it's to difficult. Made it to the third or fourth stage on my first try and got destroyed by those grubs with the mouths on them. :/

Top Bottom