• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

Salsa

Jasoco said:
So was the update Windows only? Because my version STILL has no Achievements and I even uninstalled and reinstalled. The game never updated and it looks like the same thing it was before. Still miscounting the play time and still no Achievements. This is frustrating! I want my achievements!

Mac version still has no achievements, but once they put them in they're gonna be retroactive and you'll get everything you already got.

No achievements for me yet though (on pc) reinstalled a bunch of times, etc.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Finish #4 and with half a heart left. I just went bombing through doors to get to the boss or I would've been dead. The last two floors aren't suited for exploring.

Red

Hm, WSAD and the arrow keys seem reversed for me all of a sudden, and I can only shoot right and down.

Oh, lefty flip enabled for some reason. Fixed.

What does a star over a crown mean on the map? That you've already found the item there?

Damn, just died a stupid death by running into a floating head. Had a teleporter, demon wings, brother bobby, and sister maggie. Was raining death.

Huh, also my entire save file is erased now. Haven't run CCleaner or anything that would've wiped the flash cache. Oh well.

Sober

Damn, after using the laser eye coupled with the chocolate milk to let me charge shots, I do not want to go back and do the Depths levels without it. Makes the swarms of the reanimating red dudes and the exposed brain dudes SO MUCH EASIER than any combo I've run across besides just popping the unicorn horn.

Also, probably not the best idea to take pacts with the devils to the point where you have one heart container.

duckroll

MTMBStudios said:
Making a game to sell on Steam? Don't use flash. Game looks great but man you would think that after the savegame/controller/etc complaints in VVVVVV and Machinarium that devs would think twice about using flash for a commercial game.

This is basically my thought on this as well. You would think that working on Super Meat Boy would have thought him a thing or two about professionalism, but I guess not.

How many things can you get to follow you at once? I want an army of dead siblings and flies!

X5dRT.jpg

Jasoco

Banned
duckroll said:
This is basically my thought on this as well. You would think that working on Super Meat Boy would have thought him a thing or two about professionalism, but I guess not.
Edmund did the artwork. Not the coding. The coding was done by someone NOT on Team Meat.

SalsaShark said:
Mac version still has no achievements, but once they put them in they're gonna be retroactive and you'll get everything you already got.

No achievements for me yet though (on pc) reinstalled a bunch of times, etc.
So has an update not been released for the Mac version yet? I also don't have Lefty Flip or the new bosses. So I assume not?

Salsa

duckroll said:

i dont know what you guys mean by him, i mean Edmund is the designer, but the game is programmed by Florian, and he does flash stuff. There's not really a lesson learnt from SMB here because this is a game made by a different guy, but designed by the same. I just think they wanted to make it snappy and quickly in order to finish it as a "vacation project" in 120 days, and that's what Florian did for years.

Im not denying that after playing the game i think id rather for it to be a bigger project designed in a different platform and with a bit more beta-testing in a more wide variety of systems (im not having any framerate issues some of you guys seem to have), im still experiencing that achievement bug for example and cant help to think its somewhat related to that.

HadesGigas said:
How many things can you get to follow you at once? I want an army of dead siblings and flies!

As many as you can find it seems. I once had 3 pretty flies, both shooter siblings, the robot, the moneybag and the heart sister at once.
In another run it was 2 pretty flies, 1 attack fly, meatboy, cross and heart sister.

Also for those who have a couple of problems to get through the dungeons, I found the game to get a lot easier to play with Judas (saving the Book of Belial for bosses) and not using the shop a lot. Instead, money gets to beggars who always seem to give the best items before vanishing and sometimes vending machines.
The latter ones and everything else in the arcade can be bombed if you want to save your money and don't care for gambling.
For keys, the golden doors always get the priority with golden chests in arena rooms second. If I got enough keys for golden chests, I take those, too.
Eat any pills that you can find as they tend to give more positive than negative effects (at least for me). The good thing is that the pill effect will be identified and displayed at the top right. The doctors diploma and lucky foot also help immensely there. The foot literally tranformed a "tears down" pill in my inventory into a "tears up" one as soon as I picked it up.

I also try to avoid the devil's offerings except if they cost soul hearts only or if it's either "lord of the pit" or "the nail", but only if I keep at least 3 red hearts afterwards.

Apart from that, the only other little trick I found was that you can lure big chubbs into eating bombs for some nice damage and stopping them right in their tracks.

I almost beat it with Judas yesterday on my first playthrough with him after having a very lucky run with a lot of health and weapon upgrades. I make it all the way to the final boss room after clearing out the entire level and all I had left was a half a heart. I went back and blew up every damn rock I could find looking some health to no avail. I've managed to power through every boss relatively easy, plus I had the
curse of the vampire
and the final boss spawns random enemies to fight so I figure I had a decent shot at surviving long enough to farm some health and do some quick damage. NOPE! First two monster spawns were the laser beam eyeballs and all I could manage to do was strafe around the one on the right for about one second while the one on the left picks me off like it was nothing.

Protip: Go directly to the boss on the 2 lower levels if you have the dungeon map and can see where it is. Some rooms will fuck you up something fierce.
Fighting two Envies with the perimeter of the room lined with rocks is just about the cruelest thing I've encountered in this game.

xelios

Arrrrrgh I was so close to beating this the 5th time, this time with the girl. Was on the last floor and had a heart or so, there was the arcade door. I had 77 cents, enough to get to max hearts again for the boss. DEAD from those heads that pop out of the floor. Rage quit!

cress2000

Just when I thought I'd never beat Mom...

AdhGf.png

Just about damn near everything went right this time around. She didn't even knock out the temp hearts. I just walked around bombing everywhere.

Natiko

Banned
So..I played some of this earlier today, had a good time. Came back to it tonight..all my progress was lost? My achievements were still there but all my stats and items found had been lost. The fuck?

duckroll

Natiko said:
So..I played some of this earlier today, had a good time. Came back to it tonight..all my progress was lost? My achievements were still there but all my stats and items found had been lost. The fuck?

Another victim of Flash! :(

Natiko

Banned
duckroll said:
Another victim of Flash! :(
I think a similar think happened to me with VVVVVV quite awhile back :/ Is there anything I can do to avoid it? Any way to backup the save data? :(

duckroll

Natiko said:
I think a similar think happened to me with VVVVVV quite awhile back :/ Is there anything I can do to avoid it? Any way to backup the save data? :(

They've supposedly patched it. In fact, maybe that's why you lost progress? Not sure, I haven't tried mine in a while.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/6419/

Update notes:

-Fixed wall clipping bug
-Upgraded game save so it wont be deleted by clean up tools
-Added options to the start screen
-Added control options within the options menu
-Added lefty support
-Added azerty keyboard options
-Fixed minor music issues

-Added more alt bosses.

Common Cold + Fetus in a Jar + Mr. Mega = Ultimate Carnage

Still trying hard to get through with ??? on my 10th playthrough.
Did anyone manage to do it so far?
Is it worth it (achievement/unlocks)?

F!ReW!Re

Hahaha I love this game.

Just had an awesome round. Unlocked Cain through the slots machine and managed to kill mom in the end.

Love that unicorn horn item! :)

xelios

If all my unlocked stuff is gone with the update I will be one pissed mfer. I'm missing less than 10 items.

xelios

Phew, I still have all my collection. Is it safe for me to clear anything now without worrying about losing anything?

Sykotik

As far as I can tell it's random, as are the items you can choose from. I never get faith items to spawn when I have a shit load of faith.

Sykotik said:
As far as I can tell it's random, as are the items you can choose from. I never get faith items to spawn when I have a shit load of faith.

alright thanks, I was wondering if maybe it opened if you didnt get hit by the boss or something or if you killed in a certain amount of time.

arts&crafts said:
Is the door after the boss random? Sometimes I get it sometimes I don't
I thought it might be if you have full health, but then it opened once when I didn't. I did have a soul heart, though, which when accounted for meant I had "full" health. (I was only missing one heart.)

But I think it's also not opened when I DID have full health. Ahhhh!

I have noticed it always opens at the top, so if the entrance is at the top, you'll never get it? Maybe.

Togglesworlh said:
I thought it might be if you have full health, but then it opened once when I didn't. I did have a soul heart, though, which when accounted for meant I had "full" health. (I was only missing one heart.)

But I think it's also not opened when I DID have full health. Ahhhh!

I have noticed it always opens at the top, so if the entrance is at the top, you'll never get it? Maybe.

If you play with ??? who only has soul hearts, the items will also only cost soul hearts.
I would guess that the game checks for the amount of hearts you've got before spawning the items.

BigAT

So honestly, I bought this game pretty much because it seemed like it would be a cheap way to hold me over until Dark Souls come out tomorrow, but I have been playing the absolute hell out of it and enjoying it way more than I expected. I just got my 7th completion of the game and I'm still having fun with it. I think the game does a great job of providing an immense range of experiences, by being quite difficult but also making you feel fantastically overpowered at times as well.

Natiko

Banned
duckroll said:
They've supposedly patched it. In fact, maybe that's why you lost progress? Not sure, I haven't tried mine in a while.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/6419/

Update notes:

-Fixed wall clipping bug
-Upgraded game save so it wont be deleted by clean up tools
-Added options to the start screen
-Added control options within the options menu
-Added lefty support
-Added azerty keyboard options
-Fixed minor music issues

-Added more alt bosses.
I think maybe that's what happened. Checked today and I still have my progress from last night. If this is going to happen with every update though...

Jasoco

Banned
The last item I got from a random Post-Boss Devil Door was an inverted cross that made me fly. It was awesome, especially with my rapid-fire... until I died.

xelios

Easiest ways I've completed the game are with the purple homing shots with damage upgrades, chocolate milk + laser, and/or bible.

Red

Jasoco said:
The last item I got from a random Post-Boss Devil Door was an inverted cross that made me fly. It was awesome, especially with my rapid-fire... until I died.
Yep, demon wings are my favorite item so far.

Sykotik

A couple play-throughs ago I had devil skin, laser eye, charge-up, meat sphere and a bunch of power-ups. Laser plus charge is ridiculous. My favorite, though, was probably devil skin, devil wings, charge-up and meat-boy. I just really liked the wings. My latest play-through I had bomb-shots, which was pretty awesome. Made mince-meat out of all the bosses, the regular enemies were harder, though.

luiztfc

Isaac is kicking some major ass so far. Now that I've traded life for a couple of wings, let's see how much farther can I go.

Isaac.png

Isaac2.png

BigAT

I had a pretty sick run recently where right after the first boss I got the dead cat (9 lives) and the nail (unlocked with second completion, gives two soul hearts and +DMG with each use). Then I also got the battery charger as well, so I was able to use the nail every two rooms or so. By the end of the game I had so many soul hearts built up they stopped showing up on screen. Plus I had 7 lives left even if I died.

xelios

BigAT said:
I had a pretty sick run recently where right after the first boss I got the dead cat (9 lives) and the nail (unlocked with second completion, gives two soul hearts and +DMG with each use). Then I also got the battery charger as well, so I was able to use the nail every two rooms or so. By the end of the game I had so many soul hearts built up they stopped showing up on screen. Plus I had 7 lives left even if I died.

Wow, that's not a bad idea.

Draft

I did it. This game is tough, or else my skills have atrophied so bad in the age of checkpoints and auto saving that it seemed tough. Managed to win solely by getting some good gear on the way to Mom.

BigAT said:

The battery charger and the nail practically break the game since you can get 4 of the 6 charges out of a single room. I just finished a Magdalene playthrough with the nail, battery, Super Meat Boy, the noose, and 3 Pretty Flies. I was nearly indestructible.

Speaking of SMB, has anyone else not been getting the "The Bandage" achievement for making a Super Meat Boy? I've done it several times already and have never had a problem getting any of the other achievements when I was supposed to.

ZekeThePlumber said:
Speaking of SMB, has anyone else not been getting the "The Bandage" achievement for making a Super Meat Boy? I've done it several times already and have never had a problem getting any of the other achievements when I was supposed to.

I was wondering about that, too, but I don't know if there is a fourth part missing to turn Meat Boy into Super Meat Boy. The achievement shows a bandage and there is a bandage pickup in the game, but I don't know if that gets unlocked with the achievement or could be required in making a SMB.

kingschiebi said:
I was wondering about that, too, but I don't know if there is a fourth part missing to turn Meat Boy into Super Meat Boy. The achievement shows a bandage and there is a bandage pickup in the game, but I don't know if that gets unlocked with the achievement or could be required in making a SMB.

Just checked the wiki, apparently the 4th pick-up will increase his size and damage so I guess it's just a matter of being lucky enough to fight all 4 horsemen in one run.

BigAT

ZekeThePlumber said:
Just checked the wiki, apparently the 4th pick-up will increase his size and damage so I guess it's just a matter of being lucky enough to fight all 4 horsemen in one run.
You've gotten 3 before and not gotten the achievement? I've done two several times, but I've never had the luck of getting even 3 horsemen in a run.

Top Bottom