• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

Red

Goddammit

Walked into this room with half a heart, was instantly annihilated. Never had a chance.

BigAT said:
You've gotten 3 before and not gotten the achievement? I've done two several times, but I've never had the luck of getting even 3 horsemen in a run.

That should get easier on later completions. I'm on the 11th now and bosses show up more often instead of regular enemies at the last two floors.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Welp I just died after selling too much blood so I could gamble in hopes of being able to win explosives to break down the wall of the secret room again to get the pills I accidentally left in there. Then I played some binding of Isaac :D !
Also battery is nutso - battery + pills or nail or even book of 7 sins is a once a room powerup/item (start with three bars; use item; wait in room to charge up another three bars, and repeat). On top of that, xray glasses allow you to pop in and out of the secret room to a new batch of creatures and battery charges as much as you want, as long as you never kill the last one before running back out.

Red

INTERNET said:
Welp I just died after selling too much blood so I could gamble in hopes of being able to win explosives to break down the wall of the secret room again to get the pills I accidentally left in there. Then I played some binding of Isaac :D !
Also battery is nutso - battery + pills or nail or even book of 7 sins is a once a room powerup/item (start with three bars; use item; wait in room to charge up another three bars, and repeat). On top of that, xray glasses allow you to pop in and out of the secret room to a new batch of creatures and battery charges as much as you want, as long as you never kill the last one before running back out.
Yeah, X Ray glasses are amazing. Auto opening for secret rooms saved me a lot when I had them.

A hundred times better than the Spelunky helmet.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
You know reading this thread, without having played the game, makes all of you guys sound absolutely insane.

I have to say it's Flash that's stopping me from buying this.. but then it's so cheap I should just do it.

NervousXtian said:
I have to say it's Flash that's stopping me from buying this.. but then it's so cheap I should just do it.
The Flash thing sucks and seems to be tied into most of the game's current issues, but it's less than a burger combo and the game is supposed to be really awesome.

I bought it but am going to wait out a another patch or two before jumping in.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This game is a ton of fun, but I hate having to open up the task manager to close this game every single time.

I cannot believe it passed Steam's QA, if they have anything like that.

Salsa

chubigans said:
This game is a ton of fun, but I hate having to open up the task manager to close this game every single time.

I cannot believe it passed Steam's QA, if they have anything like that.

weird, that was a bug at release but they since fixed it, doesnt happen to me anymore

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
SalsaShark said:
weird, that was a bug at release but they since fixed it, doesnt happen to me anymore

I thought the same but then it randomly happened to me again today after a couple days of not.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Coming off of Super Meat Boy, it's stupid that this game has some of the issues it has. It's crashed on me, and I've also lost all of my achievements...twice. -_-

Aside from that, it's pretty damn good.

Is there a way to skip the opening cutscene? I'm tired of seeing it now. :/

I've beaten the game twice and I can say that it's absolutely great to be able to have a unique and fun experience each time I boot the game up.

I literally haven't played a PC game in about 6 years before this came out. It's cool that this game an a PS3 controller can bring me out of hiding to play another PC game. I actually had to download Steam after I bought it...for some reason I'm sure that's embarrassing.

I don't know what the big deal is with it being a Flash game. It's just a game to me, and for $5 a VERY good one! My favorite item so far is definitely the X-ray glasses. I got them early on and my character got godly because of it.

Damn what a fine game!

animlboogy said:
You lack some context. Those of us who regularly play games on this platform have our standards pretty high, due to some releases over the last few years that delivered in spades, and some that have no end to still providing new content and polish. We're used to 360 controller support as a standard, constant patching, and none of the problems with saves, compatibility, slowdown, and so on that flash brings along with it.

It absolutely is a fine game! I've played probably about eight to ten hours so far. But the joy2key requirement alone, as simple a fix as it is, shows why flash has waned as a standard for indie games. The browser-based era is over as far as indie games are concerned; a crossover between the old model and the new really isn't pleasant.

VVVVVV being ported to dump flash is telling. The game had been out for some time when that happened, yet it was still deemed necessary to get away, likely for posterity. You want your saves protected, you want flexibility with input support, and above all you want more consistent performance.
Thank you for eloquently speaking the words I failed to say. X:
Oldschoolgamer said:
Coming off of Super Meat Boy, it's stupid that this game has some of the issues it has. It's crashed on me, and I've also lost all of my achievements...twice. -_-

Aside from that, it's pretty damn good.

Is there a way to skip the opening cutscene? I'm tired of seeing it now. :/
Honestly, and I almost hate to say it, I think a large part of the reason Super Meat Boy didn't have these problems - although it still had a few at launch, they weren't nearly as bad (at least in my experience) - is partially thanks to XBLA standards and quality control.

xelios

Finish #5, with the girl. Spoon bender + nail + battery = unstoppable.

I still haven't made it past the penultimate floor. I guess I need to go directly to the boss chamber instead of exploring. I fucking hate those stationary, projectile-spitting stone heads that show up in almost every room late in the game.

I bought this today. Holy crap, is this game addicting. Between this and Super Meat Boy, I'm pretty much sold on whatever McMillen creates from now on. Goddamn this is fun.

wutwutwut

Interesting, Edmund could support controllers with a Flash game I guess. He could write a wrapper C++ program that does what JoyToKey does code wise, or he could simply start it up in the background and quit it when done.

Oldschoolgamer

Unlocked Caine. :eek: Beast mode activated. Got to the last cave before Mom and the game crashed while I had Growth hormones and some other good stuff. :/

duckroll

SalsaShark said:

They definitely fixed that just hours after it was released. I was the first one to bitch about it! :D

Red

mclaren777 said:
Based on the name, I was expecting this game to have a biblical setting or theme.
Already answered above, but... have you actually played it? It's dripping in the stuff

Red

I haven't been able to finish this yet. I keep getting to depths 1 or 2 and losing. My last attempt, I ended up getting homing shots and a triple shot, and at first I thought they'd help me out but combined they made each room take a lot longer to complete. Ended up dying at Gurdy after a long fight, because my shots kept veering off at those pustules and flies.

It's a great game though, four hours down and I'm still seeing new things every time.

Also, what's the easiest way of dealing with the skull enemies that extend and spit three projectiles at you? They give me the most trouble (outside of rooms with brains mixed in with other moving opponents). I can never reliably trigger them to pop up so I can hit them.

My latest attempt:

Doing well early on.

Stats are great, but haven't found many health pickups.

Yeah, not really feeling this.

I beat
Mom's Heart
! Really didn't have that great set of items, but a bit of luck in the rooms on the last couple floors, and a bit more of my scientifically undeniable gaming prowess led me to victory. The last boss was really pretty easy compared to some of the harder bosses.

Salsa

Kjvsd.png

xelios

^Awesome. Can't believe I've put almost 50 hours into this game. That's less than 10 cents/hour for entertainment!

xelios

Incendiary said:
Screw Gurdy.

That is all.

Everyone says that but straight away go to his left side against the wall and shoot at his bottom. You'll only have to dodge his bullets now and then. If there's a puffball in the bottom left corner kill it first before going against the left wall. Easiest boss besides Duke of Flies with this strategy. Right side may work as well but I find the bees that shoot bullets don't get me on the left side.

92Vwo.jpg

Red

He has a big health bar though, fights with him always take a lot longer than other bosses for me. And I seem to run into him every time. It gets really frustrating.

The "left wall" strategy comes naturally, but even then it can be hard to gauge your distance between his shots. Every once in a while I end up getting hit.

Therion

To kill Gurdy I just alternate right, bottom, left, bottom, etc. with the correct timing so that he always shoots where I used to be. I take out the puffball things as soon as they spawn and just let my stray shots kill the flies. I don't normally take any damage with this strategy.

Sober

Just kill the bloating things at the start, and if you can spare the bombs because of the room layout, bomb the sides to give you more dodging room. When he ducks his head in, just strafe to the side as he will shoot the center with a spread. Just zip left or right while shooting to hit the flies he spawns.

Mungular

my buddy just gifted this to me on steam. i didnt like it at first cause i sucked haha, but its pretty addicting little game. its like a twisted zelda with random dungeons

Joe Molotov

Yeah, the first time I fought Gurdy, I was like FUUUUUUUUUUU but then I figured out the trick and I've beat him a few times without getting hit.

Oldschoolgamer

Holy shit. Finally beat the game...ONCE. lol. I was on my last life after dieing the other times with the kitten familiar activated. One heart run, Castlevania style. Christ...some of these rooms are torture.

Time to do it again!

markot

Banned
I bought this game at launch, with the sound track... but it looks really freaky and I havent started it at all yet >_<;

Jasoco

Banned
Yay! The update is downloading on my MacBook Pro. I hope it fixed my playtime counting problem and my achievements.

Edit: Nope. Time is still broken and achievements are still locked. I must have played for 3 hours so far total and it only says 12 minutes. i.e. 1 minute for every time I've launched the game.

Boooo. :(

Helmholtz

This game is pretty cool. So far I've spent around 4 hours with it across multiple playthroughs. I managed to get to 'mom' once and died.
There is definitely a lot of variety there and a good amount of challenge. I'm not sure I like the combat/movement all that much though. It does the job but I don't find it all that exciting or fun. I really like the idea behind the game, and the fact that he made this game in such a short amount of time is very impressive.

duckroll said:
They definitely fixed that just hours after it was released. I was the first one to bitch about it! :D
I installed and played the game for the first time today and the game didn't exit properly. Achievements aren't working either. Game is fun though and hard to quit.

Arozay

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

1 game without bombs, another without keys, both without any arrows or space items.

Top Bottom