• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Seriously.

God-damned cracked out.

Good work Mr McMillen and co.

Love the devil items as well. The satanic wings are my favorite thus far.

However, my achievements are also not registering on Steam, and I would like a save / quit function so I can leave games mid-way through.

wutwutwut

Amazing. Just did my 4th completion with nail + battery + 3 familiars. Nail + battery is like the most OP combo I've seen so far. 2 free HP + increased damage every 2 rooms means the womb was a cakewalk.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
wutwutwut said:
Amazing. Just did my 4th completion with nail + battery + 3 familiars. Nail + battery is like the most OP combo I've seen so far. 2 free HP + increased damage every 2 rooms means the womb was a cakewalk.

It really is. Not to mention being able to save up hearts past the maximum.

ArjanN

Pretty neat how the game changes after you beat it once, and then even more once you beat it multiple times.

xelios

ArjanN said:
Pretty neat how the game changes after you beat it once, and then even more once you beat it multiple times.

There's so much stuff to unlock in the item pool I'm still unlocking after 50 hours. There's supposed to be a decent size update coming too.

xelios said:
There's so much stuff to unlock in the item pool I'm still unlocking after 50 hours. There's supposed to be a decent size update coming too.

I just had a really hard first floor where the boss was 2 red monstros' it was weird. On the sad side of things, on my 25th hour now and achievements stopped registering for steam. I have beat the game 5 times but only have the first 2 steam achievements :(

xelios

arts&crafts said:
I just had a really hard first floor where the boss was 2 red monstros' it was weird. On the sad side of things, on my 25th hour now and achievements stopped registering for steam. I have beat the game 5 times but only have the first 2 steam achievements :(

I've had that two small monstros boss too.

Hopefully the achievements will be retroactive for all those affected by the bug. I just had my finish #7.

arts&crafts said:

The party will get better along the way as the game gets harder with each completion.
I regularly encounter a horseman as the first boss and having bosses as "normal" enemies at the 3rd floor downward is pretty common, too.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Holy crap. The difficulty spike after you beat the game the first time. The later stages...my goodness. How do you deal with this? lol I had the best luck right until the final boss, then got shut down completely. Ill-prepared isn't even the correct term. lol

xelios

Gravijah said:
i love you xelios

this game is amazing

It is. I just got finish #8 and my play time is now at 52 hours. I am a sad individual.

wilflare

i watched my brother complete the game for the first time.
didn't get the achievement for beating mom :/

we both love the unicorn horn :D

ampere

Ooo this game looks really cool. Once I beat a few more of my Steam backlogged games I will have to buy it.

xelios

Beat it 9th time tonight. Going for 10 sometime soon. @53 hours. I have the best luck with Cain.

Beat the game finally tonight. Twice actually. The 2nd time I beat it on my first try with Magdalane. Funny thing is that I walked into the last boss room by accident with 1 1/2 hearts left and ended up beating
Mom's Heart
without getting hit. It's really hard to stop playing this game once you start. I love all the new shit that appears with each session.

jgminto

Finally beat the game without it crashing. Excellent. Mother was easier than I expected but than God I had demon wings. They definitely make up for the 2 heart cost. I also got a huge amount of death and strength cards which really helped out on the bosses and challenge rooms.

Regarding the Hermit card, does the hermit always try to kill you if you haven't been in there already? It happened both times I used it and wanted to make sure for the future playthroughs.

xelios

jgminto said:
Finally beat the game without it crashing. Excellent. Mother was easier than I expected but than God I had demon wings. They definitely make up for the 2 heart cost. I also got a huge amount of death and strength cards which really helped out on the bosses and challenge rooms.

Regarding the Hermit card, does the hermit always try to kill you if you haven't been in there already? It happened both times I used it and wanted to make sure for the future playthroughs.

It just takes you to the mini-boss room or shop.

jgminto

xelios said:
It just takes you to the mini-boss room or shop.
Ah okay. Also has anyone beaten my record for Larry Jr. minibosses? Not including the original I had three separate Larry Jr. one of which was poison.

Crunched said:
Also, what's the easiest way of dealing with the skull enemies that extend and spit three projectiles at you? They give me the most trouble (outside of rooms with brains mixed in with other moving opponents). I can never reliably trigger them to pop up so I can hit them.

If you're close enough to them to trigger them but need them not to fire at you, shoot at them constantly. They won't react until you stop. Otherwise, stop firing and move close to them, then move away and fire when they extend. Then just move to dodge their shots. (That is unless they're the special colored kind. You seem to be able to hit those even when they haven't extended for some reason. A bug?) Those never give me any trouble.

I fucking hate the brains, though. And the bloody, hopping enemies that show up in the later floors.

HadesGigas said:
Whoops. Just found out you can blow up the beggars. I was only trying to set it free :(

I always blow them up (and the slot machines and "coins for blood" machines) if I can spare the bombs and don't need their services. No reason not to.

wutwutwut

xelios said:
Beat it 9th time tonight. Going for 10 sometime soon. @53 hours. I have the best luck with Cain.
The luck foot transforms all negative pills (health down etc) into positive ones, which means I can ingest them without fear. Cain > *. I just got my 7th completion and my 6th with Cain.

xelios

Finish #10, with ???.

Think I'm done with this 'til the Halloween update. Great stuff!

UbJCY.jpg

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Jesus. Some of you guys are beasting this game.

I'm playing on OS X and NONE of my achievements are registering.

Beaten the game once thus far and unlocked Magdalene too.

So, after this game has been out for a while - what are your reccomendations? Should I get it or should I not? There are such good games coming out now, so I'm hard pressed to motivate it a spot in my gaming budget.

Helmholtz

TheNamelessOne said:
So, after this game has been out for a while - what are your reccomendations? Should I get it or should I not? There are such good games coming out now, so I'm hard pressed to motivate it a spot in my gaming budget.
It's only $5, hell yes you should. Really addicting and fun.

wutwutwut

TheNamelessOne said:
Steam says I've spent 20 hours on it. Take that as you wish.

TheNamelessOne said:

60+ hours here and no regrets
although I still don't have all achievements

Gravijah

TheNamelessOne said:

goty 2011 fuck your skyrims and uncharteds

I honestly can't stop playing this game, in a way I haven't been able to stop playing a game in a long time. I think there's something wrong with me.

The only way it could be more devilishly addictive would be if you immediately respawned as the character you were playing as at basement 1 whenever you died. I think I'd just start going again. I'd shit my chair. I'd starve, I'd die.

Is anyone actually in the hunt for golden god yet? or... does anyone have it?

edit: I JUST FOUND A NICKEL IN A POOP! haven't seen that yet.

Salsa

xelios said:
Finish #10, with ???.

Think I'm done with this 'til the Halloween update. Great stuff!

UbJCY.jpg

noice!

too bad im not playing much of it right now cause i wanna fix the achievements thing before i find out if they are retroactive or not :/

wilflare

game gives me the creeps every single time i play it.
sends shivers down my whole body ><

especially those "sleeping" humanoids that start bleeding from the eyes the moment you fire at it. sheeesh

game's great though

I'm at

isaacwuam.png

Still didn't manage to build a super meat boy and not even talking about the "no damage" runs, except for the basement one.
Also need to do the 200 death achievement and missing still 3 items.

Worst thing is that I'm usually not the "get all achievements" guy, but it is tempting now for sure.

xelios

^That's awesome. It's amazing how this $5 little game is so addicting and completely pulls you in.

Oldschoolgamer

Oh em gee. I do get killed by the silliest things when I'm maxed out with items. I had:

-Meat Boy Familiar (walking around)
-Maggie (red familiar)
-The other blue familiar
-Sack of money
-99 cents
-40 bombs
-99 keys
-pentagram
-9 lives
-roid rage
-the other needle
-crazy powerups
-BOOK OF SHADOWS + Battery
And
-The LAZER EYE.....

I died by walking into a floating head, on the last stage, right before the boss.

Salty doesn't even describe the word I'm searching for. That setup was the game almost broken... -__________-

Can you sit in a room with the battery activated and just recharge your items? How does it work?

Oldschoolgamer said:
Can you sit in a room with the battery activated and just recharge your items? How does it work?

It is not simple as that, you still need to clear rooms to recharge, but the longer you stay in a room with an enemy, the more your item recharges (up to 3 times only, though).
So to get the maximum punch out of your item, you might want to leave a single enemy and dodge a couple of times until all 3 recharges kicked in and then kill it.

Oldschoolgamer

kingschiebi said:
It is not simple as that, you still need to clear rooms to recharge, but the longer you stay in a room with an enemy, the more your item recharges (up to 3 times only, though).
So to get the maximum punch out of your item, you might want to leave a single enemy and dodge a couple of times until all 3 recharges kicked in and then kill it.

Good to know. Thank you!

Finally got to Mom, who proceeded to walk all over me. >.> Still, progress! This is such an enjoyable game, even in runs where I derp and get myself killed in the basement.

kingschiebi said:

There's a bit more to it that makes it even more broken. As long as you have an enemy alive in a room with you it will charge 3 blocks. Every time you clear a room that has enemies it you will be awarded another block. Now here's the real broken aspect of it: Suppose you walk into a room with 4 of the 6 blocks charged, wait for the battery to give you two more charges, and then use the item. You would think the battery would then be done for that room, but it will actually reset and if you wait around long enough, it will bring you back up to 3 charges. Finish the room and then you have your 4th charge. This will essentially allow you to use an item once per room if you don't mind waiting around long enough for the charges to happen.

It's especially useful/broken with items like the Book of Revlations and the nail.

Gravijah

SalsaShark said:
Flash Demo released

for those silly enough to still have doubts

you're not shilling hard enough what the fuck is wrong with you.

5 BUCKS GUYS. RUNS ON MY SHITTY COMPUTER. ADDICTIVE. FUN.

BUY IT. BUY IT FOR YOUR FRIENDS. BUY IT FOR THAT GIRL YOU KNOW WHO LIKES MSI AND THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

Top Bottom