• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Whatever they did, I finally got my achievements. For a while they were just stuck on two, but now they loaded all of the ones I earned.

People playing this with Xbox controllers through Joytokey: Is it working for you? I'd like to get in some good time with this today, but I want to kick back on the couch and play it on my TV.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gravijah said:
you're not shilling hard enough what the fuck is wrong with you.

5 BUCKS GUYS. RUNS ON MY SHITTY COMPUTER. ADDICTIVE. FUN.

BUY IT. BUY IT FOR YOUR FRIENDS. BUY IT FOR THAT GIRL YOU KNOW WHO LIKES MSI AND THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

Hmmmm...I guess I'll check out the demo. Is it worth five bucks, or should I just wait until it's like 99 cents in the Steam holiday sale?

Gravijah said:

BUY IT. BUY IT FOR YOUR FRIENDS. BUY IT FOR THAT GIRL YOU KNOW WHO LIKES MSI AND THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

Wow, nice guy.

BigAT

Snuggler said:
Hmmmm...I guess I'll check out the demo. Is it worth five bucks, or should I just wait until it's like 99 cents in the Steam holiday sale?
Totally worth it. I have 21 hours logged already and I plan to play more.

Natiko

Banned
Robert Ashley said:
People playing this with Xbox controllers through Joytokey: Is it working for you? I'd like to get in some good time with this today, but I want to kick back on the couch and play it on my TV.
Works great for me.

It's one of the best purchases I've made on Steam. I've put almost 10 hours into it, and I don't think I'll stop playing any time soon. It's $5. Buy it.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Everyone needs this game. What a beaut'.

On the second playthrough and
unlocked the second quest

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
For those on Mac, just got the word from Mr McMillen that the Steam achievement updater for OS X should hit in a week.

Neiteio

Just picked up the game with the soundtrack on Steam. First I heard the rave reviews here, then I saw the screens in the Steam store and wasn't sure about the Hot Topic vibes (pop culture store in the U.S., frequented by emo/goths) I was getting from the cartoon style. But then I tried the Flash demo and it grew on me quickly. It's cute and gory, but what makes it sing is the back and forth of firing one way while moving another and dodging enemy projectiles at the same time, and the tactile feel to the hit detection, where the enemies have a slight bounce to give a snappy sense of impact.

The enemies are fine-tuned, their attacks balanced so even a more casual player such as myself feels in control navigating what at time looks like "bullet hell." The pacing is great, the randomized maps always having the right mix of fights, shops, treasure rooms, minigames, minibosses and boss fights. So easy to pick up and play, too, and since I hear a full playthrough can take just an hour, the fact you have to restart from the beginning every time you die doesn't feel so bad. And the fact it's all randomized and there's so much to see, collect and do means it's fresh everytime you play.

Also, visually, the game is gorgeous when you play the full version and toggle the Options for the highest resolution available (720p or 800p on this 1600x900 screen) and put it in fullscreen by hitting F. Crisp sprites, bold outlines, vibrant colors, all moving fluidly. Also the music in this game is very memorable. It's dark and forboding, with an undercurrent of strings and piano, driving percussion, choral flourishes, and light touches of retro synth that get you pumped so you're bobbing your head as you clear out one room and march triumphantly into the next. The sound design is also commendable, with wet and juicy splashes and booming explosions.

So, take it from someone who has been enjoying high-budget games like Crysis and Portal 2 lately: The Binding of Isaac is fantastic and would be well worth your money even at many times its $5 asking price.

Neiteio said:
Also, visually, the game is gorgeous when you play the full version and toggle the Options for the highest resolution available (720p or 800p on this 1600x900 screen) and put it in fullscreen by hitting F.
Oh man, that's one of my least favorite parts of the game. It loses so much of the crispness when I make it fullscreen. Looks incredibly stretched out, and despite the letterboxing, the aspect ratio is all wrong.

It's awful. ):

Neiteio

Togglesworlh said:
Oh man, that's one of my least favorite parts of the game. It loses so much of the crispness when I make it fullscreen. Looks incredibly stretched out, and despite the letterboxing, the aspect ratio is all wrong.

It's awful. ):
Are you playing it in 720p when you put it in letterboxed fullscreen? Looks great for me.

I've tried the game several times now. This third attempt I made it to the caves (third world). Those Deku Scrub-like enemies that shoot spreadshots when you pass by are tricky, particularly when there's three of them spread across a rock-filled cavern with little room to dodge. The Duke of Flies was a cool boss I met along the way, though. :)

Mzo

Gravijah said:

Buy it for that girl that likes poop and pee and blood everywhere.

Neiteio said:
Are you playing it in 720p when you put it in letterboxed fullscreen? Looks great for me.
I am playing it at the highest possible resolution with a native resolution of 1680x1050, which is way bigger than 720p and slightly smaller than 1080p.

The game is hideous at fullscreen. It is almost unplayable, how ugly it is.

But I've come to accept it.

Jasoco

Banned
Doesn't look bad to me on 1280x800...

Click to embiggen

Since it's Flash, could it be that yours is stuck on Low Quality?

Adam J.

I played the demo all weekend and couldn't even beat it--still had a blast though and plan on buying it once I have $5 in my account (lol). I'll be playing on Mac, so I'm sure getting my DS3 controller to work will be a bitch.

Jasoco said:
Screenshot what yours looks like at full resolution.
Can't at the moment, but I mean, there's no way to perfectly blow up an image to a higher resolution. It's always going to be scaled. The game doesn't exactly have magnificent resolution support. You guys might say it looks good, but it's not perfect. There are always going to be flaws, unless you're actually displaying at the native resolution.

Arozay

Mamas Boy
Complete the full game without taking damage

I got this from completing only The Womb without taking damage.

ArjanN

Zaro said:
Mamas Boy
Complete the full game without taking damage

I got this from completing only The Womb without taking damage.

So I guess you only have to get all the "complete level x without taking damage" achievements to get that achievement. Not the entire game in one go.

Arozay

ArjanN said:
So I guess you only have to get all the "complete level x without taking damage" achievements to get that achievement. Not the entire game in one go.
Na, I'm missing Spelunker Boy and Dark Boy.

Probably just a mistake with the achievement since there isn't one for completing the womb with no damage, but the splash screen for it made it out like I did the whole game as well.

Zoc

Adam J. said:
I played the demo all weekend and couldn't even beat it--still had a blast though and plan on buying it once I have $5 in my account (lol). I'll be playing on Mac, so I'm sure getting my DS3 controller to work will be a bitch.

Google it, OS X 10.5 and up have DS3 drivers built-in.

BigAT

I beat the game with ??? this morning for my 10th full completion. The restrictions on that character are really rough and made it very hard to get through. Thankfully I finally had a playthrough in which I was able to get The Nail with him, so that made things much easier.

3MCwa.jpg

sophora

man, I so want to keep playing but my PC just can't handle the animations so I lags quite a lot in the later levels with multiple enemies/projectiles on screen. I guess it's time to retire the 10 year old desktop and invest in a new one :/

Ionic

If you ever find the nail while playing, get it, use it every time it becomes available, and never replace it with another item. I had more health than there was room for by the end.

ArjanN

Ionic said:
If you ever find the nail while playing, get it, use it every time it becomes available, and never replace it with another item. I had more health than there was room for by the end.

Yeah it's the most powerful item IMO, you get 2 blue hearts every time you use it, do extra damage and can destroy rocks by walking over them. On my last run I found the nail as well as the battery (which recharges your special iterm faster) and by the end I had like 40 blue hearts.

kyubajin

Is the Mac client working properly for anyone? I'm still not registering achievements at all and my total play time is always 1 minute.

Edit: I've deleted the local files and reinstalled like 10 times now.

So i just beat the game for the 8th or 9th time (not sure since my steam achievements aren't working) and I didn't get any new collection pop-up. I only have 39 out of 47 achievements... How do i get this ??? you guys speak of or the other collections. Spoiler tag it if you know the answer.

arts&crafts said:
So i just beat the game for the 8th or 9th time (not sure since my steam achievements aren't working) and I didn't get any new collection pop-up. I only have 39 out of 47 achievements... How do i get this ??? you guys speak of or the other collections. Spoiler tag it if you know the answer.

You can check in-game how many endings you already got. There is one for each run-through up to
getting the ??? character
Not sure what to "secrets" stat actually refers to. I've got all, but still miss some items in the collection. It might be that stuff like the
error room
might count as a secret.

I believe the "secrets" refer to the unlockable items. Those things that start showing up in the basement after certain requirements are met.

Tucah

you speak so well
I bought this yesterday on a whim and haven't been able to stop playing since. I'm awful at it (haven't gotten further than Caves 2) but I'm having a blast and don't mind playing it over and over because of the randomization. $5 well spent.

MNC

This game. So hard. Also, is there a correlation between character (Magdelane, Cain, Isaac) and item-usefulness/difficulty (besides the obvious stat changes)

I get shit items while playing as magdalene and better items with Isaac.

Mom is hard. :(

arts&crafts said:
ahh i only have 8 endings so i guess they just didnt pop up for me, i will continue on

I think it's
10 or 11
in total to get everything, second to last unlocks the last character and ending and playing through it with it again should give you the last item.

MNC

And with that I just beat mom for the first time! Holy shit there's alot of content for this game.

I got her with pierce shot, upped damage/tears, XVI Strength sped up Isaac. Can't wait to jump in again; this game is too fucking addictive.

Woohoo, finally beat Mom! Feels good to know I'm getting better with practice, although back-to-back unicorn horns certainly did not hurt. That run also featured a skeleton key, Steam Sale, and more pennies and nickels than my last 10 runs combined... thank you, based RNG.

Been playing this too much. Somebody next to me coughed/sneezed at the airport next to me and it sounded exactly like the Lord of the Flies sfx.
Time to move over to the next game I guess.

I have the absolute worst luck with item drops in this game. Although on my last playthrough I got the piercing shot upgrade on the first level, which I think is probably one of the most useful upgrades in the game.

I made it all the way to Depths II, then.....
used the teleporter item and it took me to a secret room with a slot machine, the slot machine gave me the Dollar (unlocking Cain), then I used the teleporter a second time and it took me to the error room, and I ended up skipping the battle with Mom and headed straight into the womb. Died at Mom's Heart, didn't get credit for beating Mom since I accidentally skipped that boss fight. Balls.

I'm racking up a ton of deaths, though, and can almost beat the Basement blindfolded. That's a plus I guess.

Top Bottom