• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

I always get brimstone when given the chance because I fucking love beams

There's some hilarious tear combos though. Little Planet + 20/20 + high tears and damage + one of the wiggly worms gave me so many laughs

autoduelist

Does someone have a full list of what I need to do with
The Lost
on hard?

I'm on day 3 of doing his runs and so far have only beat
Satan

It's incredibly frustrating. My best runs (and I've had some stellar ones) always seem to end on the stupidest deaths. Like, phenomenally stupid [fire pit bullets, or a single long range bullet I see and hit anyway, or trying a pill, having explosive poop, running, but getting one bounced into me). It's also hard just getting a good start to begin with. And then there are times when you're doing great only to have an enemy homing bomb spawn, or you enter a small room full of bomb monsters chasing you and you don't have the speed/room to outrun them.

Ugh.

-------
In other news, I hate that double big labyrinth floors only have the normal 2 secret rooms instead of 4. I feel ripped off every time.

SerTapTap

Oh god Bad Trip kills
The Lost
??

In other news, I hate that double big labyrinth floors only have the normal 2 secret rooms instead of 4. I feel ripped off every time.

I hate that too, if you don't have a secret map it means you're a lot less likely to find 'em too

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm literally at Mom right now. But I just died to her so I'm taking a dinner break before I go in the room again...

By the way, I probably shouldn't have picked up the 9 Lives item. Fuck. One heart and 9 tries is worse than the 5 hearts + 2 devil hearts I had before it. I forgot what it did and regretted it immediately.

Thankfully I'm recording this run for later.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well. Not only did I just get to Mom for the first time, but I also died to her 9 times in a row.

Fuck you 9 Lives. Fuck you Dead Cat.

Never. Ever pick up the Dead Cat.

Thankfully, not that it mattered, I had an item that also made me gain a Soul Heart when I got hit the first time so I ended up having 2 hearts for each run. But I just wasn't powerful enough I guess. I had a shitload of stuff though. All kinds of things. Before I got that Dead Cat I had 5 hearts, 2 Soul Hearts and half a Devil Heart. I also had the 99 bombs item. The mask that decreases damage, A Goat Head, Guppy's head and Holy Water. Unfortunately all my excess hearts didn't last long before I actually got to the room.

Sucks that boss health regenerates when you leave the room. That's stupid and it shouldn't be that way. But whatever. At least the rocks in the room don't come back when you blow them up.

Also thankfully I didn't get Gurdy this run. That motherfucker is a run ender for me.

Ferrio

Banned
Dead cat rocks.

Seriously they need to patch out curse of the blind. Nikalis, Edmund...if you're reading this take it out. It adds nothing to the game except pure randomness in the worst way possible.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Dead cat rocks.
Not when boss health resets upon death and you only get 1 heart per life. I'd rather have kept my 7 1/2 hearts I had.

Now I'll know for next time. Especially if I'm on the last level. Just once would I like to kill Mom.... then 9 more times after that. Just 10 times please. Plus more.

KarmaCow

Seriously they need to patch out curse of the blind. Nikalis, Edmund...if you're reading this take it out. It adds nothing to the game except pure randomness in the worst way possible.

Nah I like the gamble when picking up stuff. It can be devastating but most of the time it's fine.

Curse of the Maze is way worse. It just makes navigating the map tedious.

CassSept

Dead Cat rocks. I just smashed through the game with Eve, Guppy, Dead Cat and Guppy's Paw on hard mode. You pretty much don't need anything else.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Dead Cat rocks. I just smashed through the game with Eve, Guppy, Dead Cat and Guppy's Paw on hard mode. You pretty much don't need anything else.
Do those items together make it worth it? Because for me, it was not worth it. Dead Cat was the worst choice I ever made. The worst, Jerry.

CassSept

Do those items together make it worth it? Because for me, it was not worth it. Dead Cat was the worst choice I ever made. The worst, Jerry.

Eve is bad at >1hp and great at =<1 hp (as of Rebirth). Guppy's Paw transforms your heart container into 3 souls hearts. If you get these two with another third Guppy item (which is easier now since the pool was boosted by two items in Rebirth) you're unstoppable. Bonus:
since I went for the Chest, having no hp thanks to Guppy's Paw meant every point of damage gave me several seconds of immunity thanks to the Polaroid

Dead cat is great if you take it at the beginning, I do agree it can break the run if you take it too late

Ferrio

Banned

Well the trick to dead cat is take after you exhausted your red heart pool enough with devil deals. If you're at 0 red hearts you actually will gain a heart. Example: Like if you have 1 heart going into a devil deal with 3 items and one is a dead cat. Grab the dead cat, now you have 9 lives. Grab the other two items, one will kill you but now you'll have 8 lives and lots of items. As long as you can secure some soul hearts after you should be golden

And ya guppy is worth it.

Nah I like the gamble when picking up stuff. It can be devastating but most of the time it's fine.

It's horrible, there's no strategic element to it. There's a lot of random stuff in Isaac, but you're able to roll with the punchs and make it wok. Curse of the Blind there is nothing you can do except hope you can disable to the curse, just avoid taking the items, or yolo take it and hope you just didn't ruin your run.

It also has single-handedly made racing the game impossible.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Eve is bad at >1hp and great at =<1 hp (as of Rebirth). Guppy's Paw transforms your heart container into 3 souls hearts. If you get these two with another third Guppy item (which is easier now since the pool was boosted by two items in Rebirth) you're unstoppable. Bonus:
since I went for the Chest, having no hp thanks to Guppy's Paw meant every point of damage gave me several seconds of immunity thanks to the Polaroid

Dead cat is great if you take it at the beginning, I do agree it can break the run if you take it too late
Yeah. It was literally on the last level. And I stood there, forgetting what it did, and wasn't sure if I should take it. Bad idea. Bad Idea Jeans indeed.

I wonder if I could recreate my run if I use the seed again and decide not to take it this time. Question: Does using a seed have drawbacks? Does it disable unlocking of things or win counters or stuff like that?

I don't have Eve. In fact I only just unlocked Cain on this run when I was getting so many coins. I still haven't reunlocked Maggie yet.

Anustart

Mario Jump + Orbitals is good fun lol. Should have been a challenge! You can jump over everything and your orbitals will do damage as you pass over.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You know when you have a really good run and how you always forget what the Cursed Eye looks like and you end up picking it up? Great feeling, really.

Sciz

I wonder if I could recreate my run if I use the seed again and decide not to take it this time. Question: Does using a seed have drawbacks? Does it disable unlocking of things or win counters or stuff like that?

Seed runs aren't counted in any way, no. They're just there to have fun with specific runs.

Ferrio

Banned
Quick check out cobalt he's going ham

http://www.twitch.tv/cobaltstreak

Tears bigger than the screen.

e8xAy48.png

Another good run -
Killed Satan with Judas

All the trophies and runs keep on falling - broke my streak with Eden again though. Not worried about a streak to be honest but this game is so great.

autoduelist

Everything including the
boss rush

Seriously? I'm grinding my head into the ground doing hard runs with him and that doesn't even sound feasible. Perhaps I should just try for that, and hopefully get lucky rushing.

I just had another great run obliterated. First pickup was the D6! Halo in the secret room! Battery on sale in the store, bought that, triggered the D6 and bought steam sale too. And this was just the first floor! And then the boss room was a double monstro, and their very first big jumps got me with a crossfire blood spray (I was also being chased by initial spawn grunts). Argh. Who dies to Monstro? I haven't in ages... until an epic hard
The Lost
run in the making, of course.

And they want me to
boss rush
this? Whoever thought of
The Lost
should be gently beaten with a stick.

Oh god Bad Trip kills
The Lost
??

No. But if your explosive diarrhea blows one of the other bombs straight at you... normally very avoidable. Until you're having a great run with him, in which case the game will find stupid ways to kill you.

Well. Not only did I just get to Mom for the first time, but I also died to her 9 times in a row.

Fuck you 9 Lives. Fuck you Dead Cat.

Never. Ever pick up the Dead Cat.

Thankfully, not that it mattered, I had an item that also made me gain a Soul Heart when I got hit the first time so I ended up having 2 hearts for each run. But I just wasn't powerful enough I guess. I had a shitload of stuff though. All kinds of things. Before I got that Dead Cat I had 5 hearts, 2 Soul Hearts and half a Devil Heart. I also had the 99 bombs item. The mask that decreases damage, A Goat Head, Guppy's head and Holy Water. Unfortunately all my excess hearts didn't last long before I actually got to the room.

Sucks that boss health regenerates when you leave the room. That's stupid and it shouldn't be that way. But whatever. At least the rocks in the room don't come back when you blow them up.

Also thankfully I didn't get Gurdy this run. That motherfucker is a run ender for me.

Dead cat is awesome with plenty of setups. By itself, debatable. With any source of soul/black hearts, it's fantastic. If bosses didn't regain their health it would be beyond ridiculously exploitable on normal.

Not when boss health resets upon death and you only get 1 heart per life. I'd rather have kept my 7 1/2 hearts I had.

Now I'll know for next time. Especially if I'm on the last level. Just once would I like to kill Mom.... then 9 more times after that. Just 10 times please. Plus more.

In a day or two, mom will feel like a cakewalk. Then the real BoI begins.

Curse of the Maze is awesome. If you've got two rooms facing a locked door (store or treasure room, for example) you can keep going in and out of the other two rooms and it'll eventually jump you in the store w/o a key.

Since I mostly play on hard, where keys are rare, I prefer curse of the maze over no curse because of that. Now, darkness sucks. Can barely see my screen.

Haunted

Withdrawing ~10 coins from the donation machine, I just realised that
knowing Edmund, the fucker probably tied an unlock to filling it up with 999/1000 coins, didn't he.

Ferrio

Banned
Curse of the Blind -> Soy Milk.

Fuck you game and your stupid fucking curse that's complete bullshit. Hurts even worse that I was already on my way to full tear rate.

Only way I could recover was guppy, but only could get 2 pieces. Got screwed with previous devil deals and got XL floor on womb.

Had a great hard mode run with Eden. Brim + Holy Mantle + Damage upgrades. Beat
boss rush
and
the chest
in one go.

Hard mode 100%'d with Isaac, Eden, Maggy, Azazel, Cain, and
The Lost
. Just a few more to go!

Anustart

Oh my :/ Was going to unlock the lost, get to satan's second form as Azazel, and get this....I couldn't die quick enough :( My familiar killed him before he could kill me :(

Edit: Also, do I have to die to mom's foot, or just during the fight?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Seed runs aren't counted in any way, no. They're just there to have fun with specific runs.
Good to know. I won't use them then.

In a day or two, mom will feel like a cakewalk. Then the real BoI begins.
I'm sure with practice I'll get just as good as I was with Spelunky once.

I don't know how I haven't unlocked Magdeline yet. I unlocked her before I ruined my save file a few days ago but now that I started fresh I haven't been able to do it again. I guess I just don't get as many heart containers as I should be. (Not every boss gives them to you.)

Any drawbacks to playing on Normal? Personally I find Hard too hard. But according to PreviouslyRecorded, Rebirth "Hard" is equivalent to original Normal. So basically Normal is easier than the original. Does this hurt anything worthwhile? I probably won't really play on Hard until I'm good and ready.

It's a shame this doesn't have any Daily Challenge seed just so we could all have more fun together.

Sciz

Any drawbacks to playing on Normal? Personally I find Hard too hard. But according to PreviouslyRecorded, Rebirth "Hard" is equivalent to original Normal. So basically Normal is easier than the original. Does this hurt anything worthwhile? I probably won't really play on Hard until I'm good and ready.

Normal is only easier because a bunch of item synergies actually work now, and a lot of formerly crappy items got buffed. Hard does awful things to item drop rates in a way that Flash Isaac never did and is in no way an equivalent difficulty, and it also unlocks basically nothing, so don't worry about it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Question: Has anyone at all figured out if there's any way to do anything with the black square chamfered Zelda-style blocks? Like in that room layout where there's an item in the center of 4 of them. Can you fly over them or something? Is that the only way to bypass them? Does jumping also bypass them? Can they not be moved or destroyed? (I initially assumed maybe they'd make one pushable like in Zelda. I'm surprised they didn't.)

autoduelist

I just got mega trolled by the game on Hard Mode with
The Lost

First floor, one of those enemies blew up and took out a random rock with him. One of the ladders was there... and rather than the one room version it was a a
secret shop

Even more awesome? Everything
cost souls but because i was playing with The Lost
everything was free, just like devil deals.

5, count them, 5 free pickups on level 1! Awesome, right?

Yeah. Well. They were:
Boomerang - pretty useless for the lost, since it's best use is pickups for non fliers
Soul Converter - useless
Mom's Purse (two trinkets) - useful long term, sure, but i didn't have any trinkets let alone two
Sharp plug -- death, i'm guessing, for The Lost. useless if not anyway
The Bible -- flight is useless. I guess it's still great since i'd get to skip the mom fights with The Lost.

Yuck. Didn't matter much anyway, died soon after.

Rubius

Question: Has anyone at all figured out if there's any way to do anything with the black square chamfered Zelda-style blocks? Like in that room layout where there's an item in the center of 4 of them. Can you fly over them or something? Is that the only way to bypass them? Does jumping also bypass them? Can they not be moved or destroyed? (I initially assumed maybe they'd make one pushable like in Zelda. I'm surprised they didn't.)

You can fly or jump over it.

Top Bottom