• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Seems the items are screwing me over more than the the enemies now. I finally broke my streak with a prayer card in the first treasure room, which got me my 7th win and first Issac Heart kill. Sadly Dragon Age calls so another week without BOI ):

I still died to Mom's Heart though. My 'win streak' sits at -54.

I don't feel as bad now thank you.

I was reading up on what you have to do to unlock some of the "late-game" items like
Godhead (are you fucking kidding me?!)
and man, I'm kinda bummed out now. I love this game to hell, really wanted to 100% it and, even though I only started playing Isaac since the PS release, I consider myself fairly skilled, but this just sounds like too much...not just devotion, but outright torturous pain to the point where 100%-ing it would feel more like compensation than rewarding. I fear it might actually hamper my overall enjoyment of the game, knowing that I'll most probably never unlock everything without having my joy in just playing the game turn to suffering.
I don't mean to criticise the game for it, nothing inherently bad about it and I'm sure there's loads of people who love that stuff and it's great that the game offers these challenges for the absolute hardcore, but it also makes me feel like I'm not the intended audience of Isaac, that I'm kinda being left out, that this game I would not hesitate to place among my top 5 of all time turns its back on me. I don't know. I guess I just have to adjust my approach to this game.

There's no way I won't spend endless hours trying, though.

SerTapTap

Does the Dead Cat trick still work for (secret character)
the lost
? I'm doing shit in Rebirth I only dreamed of in vanilla, but playing as that character still sounds unbelievably painful. Even in Rebirth it's hard to tell the difference between a bug and a synergy sometimes.

Grief.exe

I was reading up on what you have to do to unlock some of the "late-game" items like
Godhead (are you fucking kidding me?!)
and man, I'm kinda bummed out now. I love this game to hell, really wanted to 100% it and, even though I only started playing Isaac since the PS release, I consider myself fairly skilled, but this just sounds like too much...not just devotion, but outright torturous pain to the point where 100%-ing it would feel more like compensation than rewarding. I fear it might actually hamper my overall enjoyment of the game, knowing that I'll most probably never unlock everything without having my joy in just playing the game turn to suffering.
I don't mean to criticise the game for it, nothing inherently bad about it and I'm sure there's loads of people who love that stuff and it's great that the game offers these challenges for the absolute hardcore, but it also makes me feel like I'm not the intended audience of Isaac, that I'm kinda being left out, that this game I would not hesitate to place among my top 5 of all time turns its back on me. I don't know. I guess I just have to adjust my approach to this game.

There's no way I won't spend endless hours trying, though.

Don't sweat it too much, especially to the degree that ruins your overall enjoyment of the game.

Isaac is one of those games that will keep you coming back for years. Even if you don't have the stamina to 100% it now, you will be able to come back down the line with new drive.

I want to get the ultimate Platinum God achievement to show off on my Steam profile, but the reality is that probably isn't feasible right now.

SamVimes

I'm jealous of people finding crap like this. I was Guppy for the very first time last night and was so hilariously OP and late in the run I didn't even get to see almost any flies spawned (I had the Knife too).

I've been Guppy with knife twice and it seems to me that it spawns a very little amount of flies.

SerTapTap

I've been Guppy with knife twice and it seems to me that it spawns a very little amount of flies.

Pretty sure Guppy spawns per-hit, so yeah Knife is terrible synergy (though knife itself is great). Even Brimstone should spawn more flies, I think it hits way more "ticks" per blast than in BOI. Guppy may actually make Soy Milk worth it.

No, that bug has been patched, at least on PC. But still one of the most important items for
The Lost
, of course.

Damn. Maybe I should rush to try it before they patch PS4...

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I feel like Guppy is a little finicky. It should be spawning per tick of damage, but sometimes it spawns virtually nothing if you aren't using tears (i.e. Brimstone or Mom's Knife). I've had runs where it works wonderfully with a certain synergy then another where it's basically broken with the same items.

CassSept

Dr. Fetus SUCKS though, holy crap. It's fun to open doors but it's almost impossible to kill anything past The Womb with the awful damage it deals, not to mention how horrifically unsafe it is if you try to use more than one bomb on screen at a time to stack damage.

I cleared
Dark Room
with it, haters gonna hate, I'm gonna defend the item as it's decent if you get it early on :D

Just bomb everything, not just doors, bomb skulls for familiars, bomb shrooms for tons of pills, you can get a ton of stat+ that way!

Don't sweat it too much, especially to the degree that ruins your overall enjoyment of the game.

Isaac is one of those games that will keep you coming back for years. Even if you don't have the stamina to 100% it now, you will be able to come back down the line with new drive.

Yeah, I really should try to slow down a bit, taking it easy. With the amount & speed I've been playing these past days I fear I might actually burn out on it any given moment. Not that easy for me though as I'm one of those compulsive gamers who get completely engulfed into one game at a time, rushing through it as fast as possible only to never play and think about it again once I'm "done" with it. Most times I'm actually glad to have finished a game, like I have one addiction less. Wouldn't want that to be the case with Isaac.

SerTapTap

I cleared
Dark Room
with it, haters gonna hate, I'm gonna defend the item as it's decent if you get it early on :D

Just bomb everything, not just doors, bomb skulls for familiars, bomb shrooms for tons of pills, you can get a ton of stat+ that way!

I did, and I love that aspect of it, but when Mom's Heart takes like 5 minutes and satan is nearly impossible to even damage it's hell. Does Damage Up affect Dr Fetus? I swear bombs were doing about as much damage as my tears were before picking it up (I had moderately strong tears), less than normal bomb damage I believe.

SerTapTap

Any tips on Suicide King or is it just as hard as it looks? I need to do it, Cursed, Solar System and Purist and I am afraid of them all. I got close with Solar System once but screwed up.

BTW is My Reflection EVER worth taking? It's a Tears Up, right? I almost took it when I had piercing homing tears but the run was so good I didn't want to risk screwing it up as I've never taken it before.

Anustart

Any tips on Suicide King or is it just as hard as it looks? I need to do it, Cursed, Solar System and Purist and I am afraid of them all. I got close with Solar System once but screwed up.

BTW is My Reflection EVER worth taking? It's a Tears Up, right? I almost took it when I had piercing homing tears but the run was so good I didn't want to risk screwing it up as I've never taken it before.

Suicide King isn't too bad, just going to isaac sucks. Try to have a lot of health lol.

Also, you know what the fucking worst possible boss to get on this waka waka challenge is? Carrion Queen. Fuck that fight. I won, but man it sucked.

CassSept

I did, and I love that aspect of it, but when Mom's Heart takes like 5 minutes and satan is nearly impossible to even damage it's hell. Does Damage Up affect Dr Fetus? I swear bombs were doing about as much damage as my tears were before picking it up (I had moderately strong tears), less than normal bomb damage I believe.

I don't know but I had no problem with later levels. Maybe because I had Azazel? I did some considerable damage though and it was the first time I killed
The Lamb
too.

Ferrio

Banned
Finally got around to doing golden god. Been doing nothing but chest runs so I didn't have the negative unlocked yet.

Think I'll continue unlocking everything from devil, then work on the damn donation machine after. Then unlock lost then *maybe* try a few times. Who knows, I won't be able to play for a week and when I get back there's going to be a shit load of new games in my mailbox. So might be a break from grinding isaac for awhile.

Dr. Fetus needs to be buffed. Edmund wanted it to be harder to get, so why nerf it at all?

It scales with your damage now. So not really weak, but isn't an instant win like it was.

Suicide King isn't very bad, just try and shoot while running towards the enemy, it seems to hit them directly most of the time.

SerTapTap

I don't know but I had no problem with later levels. Maybe because I had Azazel? I did some considerable damage though and it was the first time I killed
The Lamb
too.

I was doing a sliver of health per bomb to Mom's Heart, I cant' even imagine what further bosses would be like. If you were doing good damage from Azazel I'm guessing it does take the damage stat into account. IT definitely takes range and tears stats up, as by the end I was throwing tons of very long ranged bombs (which is...not actually a good thing) but doing piss poor damage per bomb.

Suicide King isn't very bad, just try and shoot while running towards the enemy, it seems to hit them directly most of the time.

Is there some trick to dodging shots that boomerang? Sometimes I dodge them with ease, sometimes it homes right in on me after I move half a room away.

Ferrio

Banned
Is there some trick to dodging shots that boomerang? Sometimes I dodge them with ease, sometimes it homes right in on me after I move half a room away.

Semi circles. I think flying is key to this challenge, range bad, shot speed good, and not missing the initial shot. Remember just bomb outta rooms that look like they'll be annoying.

Anustart

Phew. Completed Solar System. On the last floor I ventured into a big room with about 15 of those worm things that fly towards you quickly. I had no bombs to get out, I finally killed em all but I was at 1 heart. Luckily an arcade was connected to that room, though my 45 cents only got me 1 1/2 hearts :/ It did get me a child's heart which allowed me to get to it lives and use my bible :3

Celegus

I've only tried them once so far. I ended up with horrible drops in Head Trauma, and don't like using bombs/the bean. Did you mostly just run through rooms for the Beans challenge?

Tried Head Trauma again and I'm just getting trolled. Mom's lipstick, heels, and underwear from the first 3 bosses. Great. Used my last two keys to unlock a dice room and possibly redeem the run... with 4 pips, doing nothing. Guess I can't get lucky and beat every challenge on my first try!

KarmaCow

Had a really good build with Wafer + Whore of Babylon + The Relic + Dark Bum + Polaroid, basically entirely built up on having 1/2 a red heart with tons of souls hearts. Getting hit gave me a shield, all I really needed was Gimpy top off the flood of soul hearts.

And then I picked up a heart right before Mom's Heart. That single heart completely fucked the build because there was no way to bring down my health without burning through 10 soul hearts.

SerTapTap

Had a really good build with Wafer + Whore of Babylon + The Relic + Dark Bum + Polaroid, basically entirely built up on having 1/2 a red heart with tons of souls hearts. Getting hit gave me a shield, all I really needed was Gimpy top off the flood of soul hearts.

And then I picked up a heart right before Mom's Heart. That single heart completely fucked the build because there was no way to bring down my health without burning through 10 soul hearts.

Protip: Bombs can be used to move annoying pickups out of certain positions sometimes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's been removed already in the PC version.

The gap in the middle was replaced by a a red poop, which takes skill to get around.
The one I ran into a few days ago just had a rock in the middle. Which is just as bad as a gap if you don't have bombs. At least they fixed it.

Also my saved game seems to be syncing on Steam again. Now I can play on both my computers and not lose progress... hopefully.

Anustart

And completed Waka Waka. All the challenges done. Waka got pretty easy, had a ton of soul hearts as well as cancer and damage+.

SerTapTap

Is Purist as bad as it sounds? Does it end on Mom's Foot?

The one I ran into a few days ago just had a rock in the middle. Which is just as bad as a gap if you don't have bombs. At least they fixed it.

Also my saved game seems to be syncing on Steam again. Now I can play on both my computers and not lose progress... hopefully.

Usually rooms that require bombs to get through have a bomb on either side

Ferrio

Banned

Gotta look for a temperance machine. Either in arcade or temperance card. Or a devil judgy. Or a Hematemesis pill.

I got an item (not sure which it was) that made it so the Dr. Fetus bombs didn't hurt me. I also got spectral tears, which made the bombs not collide with obstacles, but explode on contact with enemies. I also maxed the damage and got a very fast shot speed. I cleared
Cathedral
in just a couple of minutes, and took no damage on the boss because the fight lasted about 5 seconds. It was amazing.

Edit: I have a replay saved. Watch from around 15:30 for Mom's foot, a crazy fast clear of
Dark Room
and on. I just watched it again, the room clear speed in the last half is just broken.
http://www.twitch.tv/gameroost/c/5495081

Can someone give me tips for the beans challenge? I run out of bombs well before it's over. Do they replenish or anything?

SerTapTap

I got an item (not sure which it was) that made it so the Dr. Fetus bombs didn't hurt me. I also got spectral tears, which made the bombs not collide with obstacles, but do collide with enemies. I also maxed the damage and got a very fast shot speed. I cleared
Cathedral
in just a couple of minutes, and took no damage on the boss because the fight lasted about 5 seconds. It was amazing.

Can someone give me tips for the beans challenge? I run out of bombs well before it's over. Do they replenish or anything?

The item you got is
Pyromaniac, bombs actually heal you with that. It's amazingly good, and also prevents "stomp" damage from certain boss.

RE: Beans!

Don't forget you have a recharging poison AOE attack (the bean), use it whenever a room is mostly cleared or just when it's a very easy room.

Don't forget the bombs hurt everything in the room slightly, and stun everything. Drop bombs near tougher enemies and let the room-wide AOE kill the weaker stuff.

If you get a 2 of clubs, save it and use it when you drop below 51 bombs, it doubles your bombs

If a room will require more than a bomb or two, consider just bombing open the door instead. Note that you can't bomb open the boss door so don't waste any trying.

Try for secret rooms, but don't go crazy. As you've found, 99 bombs is not enough to just bomb everything ever, surprisingly.

Since there are no item rooms, there is almost no reason not to just rush immediately for the boss room. It is extremely unlikely that whatever is in the shop or those generic uncleared rooms will be worth wasting your ever-dwindling bomb supply.

demidar

So I had the weirdest and most OP run ever.

So first floor I picked up an Ipacac. Nothing special. Later on I picked up a Hive Mind (increase fly and spider damage). Also nothing special.

But when I got to Utero 2, I picked up a Chocolate Milk. The effects were hilarious.

8FKY29q.jpg

My Ipecac shots were massive, and the damage was so high I could literally one-shot bosses (or multiple bosses if they were close enough together). Chocolate Milk also has the property of allowing you to fire by rapidly pressing a shoot button. Not bad for taking out small enemies but at that point none really spawn.

Weirder still, I managed to pick up 2 Dead Cats, giving me a 18+ lives.

I was already transformed into Guppy so I got two Cat Head followers. Funny thing, Ipecac shots don't trigger Guppy's fly spawn on hit. That changed though.

I eventually got to the Chest where I picked up a Technology 0.5, which allowed me to fire conventional shots on top of charging an Ipecac, and these shots also triggered Guppy's fly spawn. So all the rooms in The Chest went like this.

Enter > Attempt to shoot an Ipecac shot > Nope, boss is already dead from enlarged flies.

And I got Golden God but whatever who cares about that.

I hate this game so much.

Progress Update:
Going to continue working on trophies later - got Satan and Isaac killed with Azazel now to use less fun characters, also need to use Eden at some point. Ran out of tokens after abysmal starts and got sad.

Got It Lives, also noticed my trophy for Unlocking Maggy didn't pop so I guess I have to do that again later.

... I hate this game.

SerTapTap

Fuck Eve. Seriously, Fuck her.

She's not so bad anymore. Whore activates at 1 full heart for her, Devil Deals are common, Dead Bird is actually kinda useful (but hardly one of the better familiars), stats aren't too bad. Just immediately activate Whore early on, steamroll bosses, get devil rooms, use donation machines and Temperance cards (or devil beggars) to keep your health low, or if you start to get great HP, abandon that and play normally. I ended an eve run with 12 full red heart containers recently...awkward.

She's not amazing, but really no worse than average at worst. ???,
The Lost
, Maggie and Eden (on a bad roll) are easily worse.

Ferrio

Banned
Isaac > Azreal (even though I hate him) > Judas (book belial too good, 100% devil deals) > Samson = Cain = Eve > ??? = Maggy (fuck maggy) >>>>>>> Lost

SerTapTap

Isaac > Azreal (even though I hate him) > Judas (book belial too good, 100% devil deals) > Samson = Cain = Eve > ??? = Maggy (fuck maggy) >>>>>>> Lost

Pretty much. Eve is only slightly worse than pre-D6 Isaac if you don't use Whore properly. If you could beat the game as Isaac before the D6 you should be able to do it with Eve

SerTapTap

I wouldn't go that far, though I do love being able to be black demon form from the start, without being wimpy broken horn Azazel (it's okay you're cool too bro). I have an irrational love of having demon form in this game. It's at least 25% of why I love Brimstone.

Ferrio

Banned
I hate picking up brimstone, it's just so damn boring. A lot better than the previous game since it has synergies, but man tears are always more exciting to see what you get outta them.

SerTapTap

Crazy tears are a lot of fun, but require a LOT more items than Brimstone to make viable. Brimstone is pretty much ret-to-go on it's own, tears generally require 5+ items to make particularly interesting, plus some pill upgrades.

And there are some fun brimstone combos too, I had triple shot and mom's eye one run, 3 lasers in front 1 in back, lovely.

edit:
OMG the creator of Plat God got Mom's Knife and Tiny Planet

Newt

I hate picking up brimstone, it's just so damn boring. A lot better than the previous game since it has synergies, but man tears are always more exciting to see what you get outta them.
Brimstone is amazing.

Azazel is stupid and boring tho.

Celegus

I always pick up Brimstone... because I've still only found it once. As Azazel, no less.

Top Bottom