• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

CassSept

/.../ If you're at 0 red hearts you actually will gain a heart. /.../ Grab the dead cat, now you have 9 lives. Grab the other two items, one will kill you but now you'll have 8 lives and lots of items. As long as you can secure some soul hearts after you should be golden/.../

This was changed in Rebirth sadly. You can be reduced to 0 hp from devil deals and live and you can't take red heart deals if you don't have enough hp :( it won't kill you, you just run over it :(

Question: Does using a seed have drawbacks? Does it disable unlocking of things or win counters or stuff like that?

Yes, you can't unlock stuff using seeds, it would be too easy.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I wish there was an alternate way to unlock the items associated with The Lost achievements.

autoduelist

Just beat
The Lamb
on hard with
The Lost

I can't even celebrate because I missed boss rush by 37 seconds, thanks to the last 2 levels before it being cursed and getting several Pins to beat, including 4 in one large room.

It also doesn't help that this is the second time I had to go that route, since the first time I did I didn't have
the negative / The Lamb / Dark Room
unlocked yet because I was an idiot.

So. Still have to go the other direction, and this time somehow shave a minute off my time.

I will say this -- I'm MUCH better rushing. Skipping rooms, skipping taking chances on challenges, etc, definitely makes it easier to last... and while I miss out on a lot of pickups,
the free devil pickup seem to mostly make up for it

Haunted

yup
LLShC.gif

autoduelist

Alright. First floor. What do I take?

How to Jump
Satanic Bible
Book of Belial
Necronomicon
Dad's Key

Book of Belial imo.

How to Jump -- have never kept this. it's made redundant by plenty of other things anyway, from boomerang to all the ways you can fly
Satanic Bible -- other, better ways to earn health like
not getting hit
Necronomicon -- mass damage, sure, but meh against bosses
Dad's Key -- maybe?

book of belial adds fairly significant damage that will help in hard rooms, and perhaps more importantly, opens up chances to get other great items due to 25% increase chance of devil's rooms.

FerranMG

What does it mean when, after playing for a while, a message appears saying something like "item -x- has appeared in the Basement"?

I got messages like this a few times, and haven't figured them out.

Haunted

Alright. First floor. What do I take?

How to Jump
Satanic Bible
Book of Belial
Necronomicon
Dad's Key
Satanic Bible and Book of Belial are the two standout items there.

What does it mean when, after playing for a while, a message appears saying something like "item -x- has appeared in the Basement"?

It means that you have fulfilled the requirements for this item to appear in the game and that it now has a chance of spawning in future runs.

Haunted

I've beat mom's heart 3 times already. How do i continue past the womb and fight the other bosses? The game just ends.
If a devil or angel room spawns after the fight, you can continue on to floor 9. Gateways to both versions of floor 9 will consistently appear after you've defeated Mom's Heart 11 (eleven) times.

WITHE1982

I believe it means you have now unlocked that item and it can now appear as a pickup in future runs. The more you play the more items you get access to so runs become easier/more varied.

edit: beaten above.

demidar

Shielded tears with piercing really trivializes most boss fights. Your tears will block enemy tears but your tears continue on as if nothing blocked them. You could just stand in one spot pummeling Isaac and he can't do anything to you.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Okay, Gnawed Leaf + familiars should be able to cheese The Lost to victory, the only problem is Boss Rush

Exalted

Just wondering what do people think about Eve's mascara item. It's a damage up, but feels like a dps dowgrade to me, and makes you have almost no range, and really slow projectiles, making it a real pain.

xkramz

I went to sync to upload my save. And pressed download and I've lost everything! Ugh... I don't even wanna start all over anymore

mattp

I went to sync to upload my save. And pressed download and I've lost everything! Ugh... I don't even wanna start all over anymore

they really need to add in a "the save in the cloud is older than your local save" type message for uploading/downloading

FerranMG

Satanic Bible and Book of Belial are the two standout items there.

It means that you have fulfilled the requirements for this item to appear in the game and that it now has a chance of spawning in future runs.

I believe it means you have now unlocked that item and it can now appear as a pickup in future runs. The more you play the more items you get access to so runs become easier/more varied.

edit: beaten above.

Thanks!
It's not a very well written message. :/
I led me to think that the next time I played that level, I would see the item somewhere there.

jblank83

Just wondering what do people think about Eve's mascara item. It's a damage up, but feels like a dps dowgrade to me, and makes you have almost no range, and really slow projectiles, making it a real pain.

I really dislike it. If you already have a high tear rate or shot speed it's fine. If not, it's a pain to use.

does using Book of Belial multiple times on a floor further increase the odds of devil rooms? or is it a matter of just having it in your inventory?

SerTapTap

they really need to add in a "the save in the cloud is older than your local save" type message for uploading/downloading

I don't get why some devs have so much trouble with this. Doki Doki Universe had seamless automatic syncing that never erased progress and only prompted you if you had a for-real conflict.

edit:
Performance on the Vita version is pretty crap :/

I mean, it works if you're on the go, but sadly I find it better to remoteplay the PS4 version than play the Vita native one at home.

SerTapTap

Has anyone got Meat Boy yet? I can't find enough meat cubes to make one and whenever I find a horseman, it usually drops a bandage girl instead.

I got an Eden run where I STARTED with the Book of Revelations, used it every floor, and STILL got neither Meat Boy nor a complete Bandage Girl. Only times I've heard of people doing it is by abusing that item that spawns familiars.

Has anyone got Meat Boy yet? I can't find enough meat cubes to make one and whenever I find a horseman, it usually drops a bandage girl instead.

I got Bandage Girl and was one away from meat boy, what you need to do is get book of rev on the first floor and hope for meat cubes. Some people say you can spam the monster manual and get it that way as well.

SerTapTap

Yeah I don't know what they were thinking. Even the book of revs at floor 1 doesn't guarantee a full Meat Boy thanks to Bandage Girl.

LakeEarth

I keep having games where absolutely nothing upgrades my damage. More range, adding splash damage yes, but I had 3 games in a row where I was still at base tear damage (and firing rate), every upgrade is passive. Very annoying against some bosses.

Gah, beat
Satan
with an insane run with Judas while trophy hunting only to realize that I had the symbols mixed up and I actually needed to kill
Isaac
with Judas.

It was a fun run with 2 chunks of meatboy, bandages, gnawed leaf and a whole bunch of damage. Just stood there and
Satan
exploded.

Edit: Oh and a question... when you "max out" a stat like damage, does it keep going up or is it capped for real? On that last run I dumped the Book of Belial before Mother for some other reusable because I assumed it was maxed-maxed damage.

BigAT

Gah, beat
Satan
with an insane run with Judas while trophy hunting only to realize that I had the symbols mixed up and I actually needed to kill
Isaac
with Judas.

It was a fun run with 2 chunks of meatboy, bandages, gnawed leaf and a whole bunch of damage. Just stood there and
Satan
exploded.

Edit: Oh and a question... when you "max out" a stat like damage, does it keep going up or is it capped for real? On that last run I dumped the Book of Belial before Mother for some other reusable because I assumed it was maxed-maxed damage.

Not positive if they changed it for Rebirth, but in the original you could keep going passed what it showed graphically as maxed out.

SerTapTap

Depends on the stat. I am like 99% sure Damage does not cap at the visible cap, because tears keep getting bigger.

Health is a hard cap now. Unsure about the rest. Range is mostly useless beyond a certain amount as is Speed. I know there is a "max" luck where basically everything is glorious and luck based things proc 100% but I dont' know how insanely many luck ups you need, never had anything but damage and HP hit "cap" because a variety of things can put you to "max" damage fast. I think Poly on it's own is at or near max, and it can still go higher.

Depends on the stat. I am like 99% sure Damage does not cap at the visible cap, because tears keep getting bigger.

Health is a hard cap now. Unsure about the rest. Range is mostly useless beyond a certain amount as is Speed. I know there is a "max" luck where basically everything is glorious and luck based things proc 100% but I dont' know how insanely many luck ups you need, never had anything but damage and HP hit "cap" because a variety of things can put you to "max" damage fast. I think Poly on it's own is at or near max, and it can still go higher.

Okay, thanks both of you - I'll keep this in mind for further game breaking runs.

Fuuuu- I went and updated Rebirth on my Vita since the update is finally out in Europe, and after it installed, the game froze during the initial loading, and now my Vita is unresponsive, the PS logo flashes blue and the screen is black but still powered on.

I guess I'll need to wait until the battery drains completely before powering it on again and hope I can recover my system. Which sucks, I've just charged it this morning...

edit: recovery mode did the trick, phew.

SerTapTap

Fuuuu- I went and updated Rebirth on my Vita since the update is finally out in Europe, and after it installed, the game froze during the initial loading, and now my Vita is unresponsive, the PS logo flashes blue and the screen is black but still powered on.

I guess I'll need to wait until the battery drains completely before powering it on again and hope I can recover my system. Which sucks, I've just charged it this morning...

Hold the power button for a loooooong time and it should hard shutdown

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Okay, thanks both of you - I'll keep this in mind for further game breaking runs.

Damage items were real, real weird in the original game. A lot of them were actually multipliers and not a simple +X damage. There's a lot more math going into the damage calculation than would be evident looking at your character stats, Edmund has said in the past that he didn't want people to be focusing over the tiny differences in stats to min/max every playthrough so they just went with the simple ratings shown.

Damage items were real, real weird in the original game. A lot of them were actually multipliers and not a simple +X damage. There's a lot more math going into the damage calculation than would be evident looking at your character stats, Edmund has said in the past that he didn't want people to be focusing over the tiny differences in stats to min/max every playthrough so they just went with the simple ratings shown.

Okay that makes sense, this game is creeping closer to my GoTY and it was free. So good.

jblank83

Yes, I made a level 4 Meat Boy.

I checked the Steam global achievements and 1.2% of players have made one. It's one of the lower percentage achievements.

SerTapTap

Is the dark room on par with the chest in difficulty? I only hit it once but maybe I just had bad luck. It felt like I found way worse bosses

jblank83

Is the dark room on par with the chest in difficulty? I only hit it once but maybe I just had bad luck. It felt like I found way worse bosses

I can only speak personally, but I find the Dark Room slightly harder based on enemy types. More brimstone bosses. More explosive enemies. More bombs. Faster enemies. Enemies that make the room dark. Etc.

SamVimes

I think it's harder. Maybe the lamb is easier than ??? if you don't have horrible speed but the floor is definitely harder. Keep in mind that you get 4 upgrades in the chest and in the dark room you can get 6 spiders and two troll bombs.

SerTapTap

Oh right I forgot the chest situation. Any general tips for the (end boss)
The Lamb?
I don't want to die a cheap death after fighting my way through that level

Who's (same boss)
The Lamb supposed to be anyway? Jesus is the only "lamb" I'm aware of in the bible

jblank83

The Lamb?

Who's (same boss)
The Lamb supposed to be anyway? Jesus is the only "lamb" I'm aware of in the bible

He's not much different from fighting any of the other end game bosses, although his
explosive spew
requires keeping a little distance. Other than that it's a similar fight with the
spread/area bullet shots and the revolving 4-way brimstone
. It's very very similar to the Mom's Heart fight, except with the
detachable head
taking the place of Mom's Heart spawning enemies and retracting.

I just keep my distance, keep up as much dps as possible, and dodge the shots. I find it an easier fight than
Isaac/???,
tbqh.

The Lamb?

Who's (same boss)
I would personally guess that
The Lamb is supposed to be a fully-corrupted version of Isaac, similar to how you fight Isaac and Blue Baby on the other endgame route.

SerTapTap

I actually find most of the end bosses to be jokes, except
???'s bullshit teleports
and
Mega Satan who I have not seen at all
. I took WAY more damage from the double Fallen (1 fallen is fine, 2 split fallen...jesus christ) and double
adversery
fights. I like the new Heart fight, but unless you accidentally run into an enemy as it spawns, have terrible speed or get caught off guard by a pattern switch it's pretty damn easy even after the change.

Top Bottom