• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

aku:jiki

Well that wasn't smart... not sure why I expected the shovel to know that I grabbed the Polaroid. I guess Satan down, but I could have easily finished up Lamb too.
I made the exact same mistake last night while I had a super-powerful build that would've easily taken out The Lamb. Only I was using The Lost when it happened.

24 hours later and I still can't stop crying. :(

SerTapTap

FFS, orbiting tears on in the golden room on the first level. Can't hit fuck-all with these things!

TBH I usually restart a run if I take certain items like that or find nothing of value before leaving the basement. Alternately, pray you find a dice room.

Brimstone is AWESOME with that thing though if you can find it

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I made the exact same mistake last night while I had a super-powerful build that would've easily taken out The Lamb. Only I was using The Lost when it happened.

24 hours later and I still can't stop crying. :(

:(

(... I made it to Depths 1.)

TBH I usually restart a run if I take certain items like that or find nothing of value before leaving the basement. Alternately, pray you find a dice room.

Brimstone is AWESOME with that thing though if you can find it

Died on Mom. I probably should've just hit restart, it's a long shot that that would pay off!

SerTapTap

Died on Mom. I probably should've just hit restart, it's a long shot that that would pay off!

With items like that I generally only pick 'em up if I already have items that synergize with it. Losing one item generally one kill a run, but picking up one bad item can. I know I'll never take Soy Milk again unless I already have stuff that works with it because wow it is torturous to kill things with it otherwise.

With items like that I generally only pick 'em up if I already have items that synergize with it. Losing one item generally one kill a run, but picking up one bad item can. I know I'll never take Soy Milk again unless I already have stuff that works with it because wow it is torturous to kill things with it otherwise.

Have you learnt what powers all the icons correspond to? I often pick things up because I don't know what they are, then I'm stuck with it if I don't have anything to replace it with :-(

Some things are easy to remember (like the different types of worms) but with others it can be pretty tenuous between the icon and the power it gives you.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I really dislike charge shots like Monstro's lung, anyone else feel the same?

Also I'm playing this game every day until my Vita battery drains. I love it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I kinda want to know but also really don't want to know. I've got how many unopened games and I keep running back for another run on the Chest/Dark Room

edit:
Daily run is Soy Milk, Bob's Mind, My Reflection and Fire Mind enjoy

No Cursed Eye?

Gotta love the little synergies you don't even consider when you pick the item up. Just found out that Monstro's Lung makes Mom's Wig a pretty sweet item, since the Wig procs on tears fired (as opposed to damage done like Guppy). Monstro's Lung fires a lot of bullets, so Wig creates a lot of spiders.

Too bad I ran into a fucking fly and ended the run two rooms later. The Lost is so much fun.

Mugsy

How do so many people manage to complete the achievements for
The Lost
? Are you really that good to
never make a single mistake and take a hit over entire run
or is there some kind of trick with him?

Getting the no damage achievements for the original BoI took me forever
and doing that for an entire run seems insane.

demidar

I love it. I love all the charge shot items like Cursed Eye, Monstro's Lung, Brimstone, Chocolate Milk, etc. Though if your tears stat is too low it can be shit.

rybrad

Family Man is such a bullshit challenge made even worse by having to go to Isaac which takes forever with those garbage ass familiars for damage. I have died 3 times on Isaac now and am probably never going to bother with that tedious challenge again.

LakeEarth

I got Steam Sale and proceeded to never find another store after that point. I had 30+ coins, everything was half off, and I had nothing to buy.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I love it. I love all the charge shot items like Cursed Eye, Monstro's Lung, Brimstone, Chocolate Milk, etc. Though if your tears stat is too low it can be shit.

Hmm maybe I should give them another chance. They have a tendency to mess up my runs. :p

SerTapTap

Brim is amazing. Lung is okay. Fuck cursed eye, lame damage and insanely annoying effect. Chocolate milk is okay with high damage. Knife is awesome.

zulux21

Brim is amazing. Lung is okay. Fuck cursed eye, lame damage and insanely annoying effect. Chocolate milk is okay with high damage. Knife is awesome.

yeah cursed eye sucks so much...
the charge ability itself is really weak, and then you throw in one of the most annoying things ever on top of it...

oh you got the boss down to 5% life and took your first hit... start again because you teleported away -_-

Ferrio

Banned
The Lost

There's a lot more defensive items. You pretty much need a dead cat and/or holy trinity. Then stuff like stopwatch and godly damage help.

SerTapTap

yeah cursed eye sucks so much...
the charge ability itself is really weak, and then you throw in one of the most annoying things ever on top of it...

oh you got the boss down to 5% life and took your first hit... start again because you teleported away -_-

You can't even mash the button. I swear at BEST cursed eye is the same DPS as normal tears would be, and unlike Milk there's no mashing to fire smaller shots, you have to do a partial charge, ugh. Monstro's Lung seems promising but I've never actually had a good run with it. I was having a great run with Mom's Wig that would have been awesome...but I already had Mom's Knife which completely overrode it.

There's a lot more defensive items. You pretty much need a dead cat and/or holy trinity. Then stuff like stopwatch and godly damage help.

Does that character have a better chance of Angel rooms? You know, since devil rooms, well, you know

The Lost

You restart the first floor over and over and over and over until you have an item room in the first room and said item room contains something workable. Then you hope that first item is enough to carry you through 2-3 floors while you build up through mostly devil deals. Dead Cat is a big deal.

All you need is a powerful build, really, as avoiding damage obviously gets easier the more powerful you get. The further you get, though, the more you kinda have to have Dead Cat to avoid bullshit damage.

Family Man is such a bullshit challenge made even worse by having to go to Isaac which takes forever with those garbage ass familiars for damage. I have died 3 times on Isaac now and am probably never going to bother with that tedious challenge again.
Rotten Baby does not deal garbage damage and the idea is for you to center your playstyle around him, not the other babies.

Does that character have a better chance of Angel rooms? You know, since devil rooms, well, you know
It does not. I would uninstall the game if it did, that would be the final straw. Angel rooms suck so fucking bad.

SerTapTap

You restart the first floor over and over and over and over until you have an item room in the first room and said item room contains something workable. Then you hope that first item is enough to carry you through 2-3 floors while you build up through mostly devil deals. Dead Cat is a big deal.

All you need is a powerful build, really, as avoiding damage obviously gets easier the more powerful you get. The further you get, though, the more you kinda have to have Dead Cat to avoid bullshit damage.

Rotten Baby does not deal garbage damage and the idea is for you to center your playstyle around him, not the other babies.

It does not. I would uninstall the game if it did, that would be the final straw. Angel rooms suck so fucking bad.

Angel Rooms would be preferable since you can't...actually use 90% of Devil rooms can you? Plus some stuff like Trinity Shield and the free hit item (I think that's angel room anyway) would be crazy useful for it. Or do you just always get red chests from devil deals with that char? I still dont' have it yet.

I just became Guppy for the first time.

Holy shit! This is ridiculous.

I'm Guppy, I have Taurus (one Unicorn effect per room), piercing shots, Cricket's Body, Dark Bum, 3 other familiars...
Lol Brimstone.

Edit: Ok, wow. I didn't have to fire a single tear to beat It Lives in under 5 seconds.

Edit2: The Lamb didn't even have a chance. I feel kinda bad.

Thanks to Infestation 2 + Ipecac (srsly) I didn't even have to shoot to kill It lives. I marched through
Satan
and
The Lamb
like through my own living room.

kami_sama

I just had one of my best games of all time.
I completed
the cathedral
, without any problems and had a lot of items. 3 babies, 1 orbital, BFF, and a crapton more of things :D

Anustart

Well, I've done it boys. I completed 2 boss rushes in one game lol. forget me now was one of the 4 choices in the boss rush. I have Ipecac + Monstro's Lung. This combo just one shots every boss lol.

96EL LZNP

Insane damage, fun as hell lung and ipecac. Fought monstro a couple times and I was like aww, that's a cute spit there bud, check this out, blaghhh. The Chest went Enter Room > Spit > Next Room.

If you ever want to be practically invincible, I got this seed for the Vita today. (I don't believe it works on other systems)

4VLK
YW6K

Pyromaniac on floor 1
Ipecac on floor 4 or 5 (don't remember exactly)

Also, there is a Sharp Plug in the store on floor 6, if you want to play around with Isaac and the D6 or any other active items.

Kwixotik

Okay, I'm having the most overpowered Isaac run ever right now. I suck at the game. I'm currently in Womb II and haven't taken damage on like the last 3 floors. Now, Womb II is the last stage I can get to. I used this pill and now I'm in the devil room... and there's a trap door so I can go down. But I never beat the boss. And this is supposed to be the last floor. Wtf?

megalowho

Finally jumped in to see what all the fuss is about with Rebirth and I'm liking it lots. Playing a bit every day, learning more every time. Feels like good runs are disproportionately dependent on item RNG over skill and there's so many items that ideal combinations are rare but I can deal with that being part of the game. Wish it wasn't artistically off putting, poop everywhere is gross and not funny but I've never been too keen on Ed's style and the excellent gameplay loop make it easy enough to overlook.

after a losing streak of 5 i managed to beat
isaac
with
blue baby
without taking a single hit of damage against him
feels good mayne

l0zJSXA.jpg

i actually never managed to get that far in vanilla, sure feels weird playing the game with a stable a good framerate even with tons of shit going on on the screen

Okay, I'm having the most overpowered Isaac run ever right now. I suck at the game. I'm currently in Womb II and haven't taken damage on like the last 3 floors. Now, Womb II is the last stage I can get to. I used this pill and now I'm in the devil room... and there's a trap door so I can go down. But I never beat the boss. And this is supposed to be the last floor. Wtf?

You can beat the boss and the Devil Room MAY spawn again with the same door open.

KarmaCow

Anyone know how Lump of Coal works exactly and how it combines with other items? The Platinum God site says that tears do more damage the longer they are out and in the original that was tied to how many frames it was on screen but has that changed? It seems to affect Technology 2, but that beam can stay on screen indefinitely.

SerTapTap

Anyone know how Lump of Coal works exactly and how it combines with other items? The Platinum God site says that tears do more damage the longer they are out and in the original that was tied to how many frames it was on screen but has that changed? It seems to affect Technology 2, but that beam can stay on screen indefinitely.

the rebirth wiki has some, but not much info. It seems to boost almost everything, either due to distance or time on screen, whichever makes more sense based on the item. For instance, technology is based on distance, orbital tears time on screen.

Maedhros

Finally jumped in to see what all the fuss is about with Rebirth and I'm liking it lots. Playing a bit every day, learning more every time. Feels like good runs are disproportionately dependent on item RNG over skill and there's so many items that ideal combinations are rare but I can deal with that being part of the game. Wish it wasn't artistically off putting, poop everywhere is gross and not funny but I've never been too keen on Ed's style and the excellent gameplay loop make it easy enough to overlook.

It's not meant to be funny, but disturbing.

megalowho

It's not meant to be funny, but disturbing.
But it makes cute squishy sounds and the poop blops have happy faces! Whatever the intention, it's gross and there's way too much of it. Would appreciate some more variety in breakable obstacles, if nothing else. It's a nitpick really in comparison to what I do like about Issac, game is great.

Top Bottom