• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Finally jumped in to see what all the fuss is about with Rebirth and I'm liking it lots. Playing a bit every day, learning more every time. Feels like good runs are disproportionately dependent on item RNG over skill and there's so many items that ideal combinations are rare but I can deal with that being part of the game. Wish it wasn't artistically off putting, poop everywhere is gross and not funny but I've never been too keen on Ed's style and the excellent gameplay loop make it easy enough to overlook.

Hmm. Yeah. I don't find the poop and such particularly gross, off putting or offensive, but I'm not a big fan of the cutesy, "haha poop" artstyle. If you want to put gross, potentially shocking, confrontational and offensive stuff in the game then make it actually gross and offensive. Otherwise, what's the point? The whole "yeah, it's poop but look how cute it's drawn and animated" is just stupid. McMillen said in interviews that after the "safe success" of Meat Boy he had felt the need to create something dangerous and risky again, a "career suicide game" as he called it but, thematically mature and demanding as it may be*, the cuteness of its artstyle betrays that whole point. You can't get much safer than poop jokes.

*Though I think thematically it really is an interesting and multi-layered game. I mostly view it as an exploration of the Id/Real/Subconscious/Mind/Whatever of a child growing up in a hostile, strict Christian environment and being affected by the somewhat weird and dark imagery of Christianity. At least that's what I'm thinking about while killing smiley-faced poop with homing tears.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Can someone please clarify the whole missable endings thing I keep hearing about? So if you don't take an ending in the womb or after beating mom when it's presented to you ( Ie you go deeper than you have to), you lose it forever? Which version on each system has this bug?

SerTapTap

Can someone please clarify the whole missable endings thing I keep hearing about? So if you don't take an ending in the womb or after beating mom when it's presented to you ( Ie you go deeper than you have to), you lose it forever? Which version on each system has this bug?

Eh? No that's not how it works. But if you skip an "ending" boss with We Need to Go Deeper you don't get credit and will have to go back and kill that boss again to get the credit for it. You didn't lose credit for it, you just literally skipped it and have to actually kill the boss to get credit. There was a long-sinced fixed bug that wasn't unlocking all endings on the menu too.

CassSept

the rebirth wiki has some, but not much info. It seems to boost almost everything, either due to distance or time on screen, whichever makes more sense based on the item. For instance, technology is based on distance, orbital tears time on screen.

Editors of Binding of Isaac wiki really screwed up with adapting to Rebirth's release (basically BoI wiki and Rebirth gamepedia page ran concurrently, gamepedia was more up-to-date at first but BoI wiki was slowly getting updated too... and then for some reason several people decided to screw this up and deleted EVERYTHING related to Rebirth from the wiki since there's a gamepedia page for it), a shame since it would have been much more accessible and comprehensive than it is now.

Uh is it just me or is the "all stats up then shuffled" item just shuffling and not raising stats at all?

I really hate it and it doesn't feel like it buffs you at all. Even worse, it can destroy your run, it once put all my stats at one and funneled them to hp. Run wasted, it was unplayable.

d-did i just scam the devil ?
had 2 items left to become guppy, get a devil room -> guppy's collar + guppy's tail for 1 heart each, only had one heart though
get the collar, find a strength card, get back in here and buy the tail for free, almost felt like stealing shit in zelda minus the laser spouting shopkeeper

SerTapTap

Editors of Binding of Isaac wiki really screwed up with adapting to Rebirth's release (basically BoI wiki and Rebirth gamepedia page ran concurrently, gamepedia was more up-to-date at first but BoI wiki was slowly getting updated too... and then for some reason several people decided to screw this up and deleted EVERYTHING related to Rebirth from the wiki since there's a gamepedia page for it), a shame since it would have been much more accessible and comprehensive than it is now.

I really hate it and it doesn't feel like it buffs you at all. Even worse, it can destroy your run, it once put all my stats at one and funneled them to hp. Run wasted, it was unplayable.

Yeah it just shuffled everything into Attack and Luck and left my HP alone...dropped my speed and range to minimum. But I pressed on due to Holy Mantel and Sacrifical Dagger. Fortunately I got Whip Worm and a billion Tears Up upgrades (I somehow have 3 tears stat after 5 or so pills)

Edit: (final area spoilers)
Holy SHIT, does EVERY room in The DArk Room give you a chest with a collectable?! This run is nuts

edit 2: If you want a Crazy OP PS4 run here's the seed: TXSK M1J6 Requires a devil deal and opening all the red chests, but you'll get Sacrificial Dagger and Holy Mantel on the first two floors, 3 pieces of Guppy and plenty of other crap, I got a PHD and found eonugh pills to max my tears, then got Anti Grav tears in
The Dark Room
which let me fire tears as fast as I could mash the face buttons.
The Lamb
died because I could see a second attack from it.

Chesskid1

Banned
i think im gonna try to stop restarting if i get shitty items or if im missing devil deals

kinda feels cheap/dishonorable, good players win like every run and it's so satisfying eeking out a win after struggling

autoduelist

I am losing my mind to these hard
The Lost
runs. I've been working on this for a week, only have one run left.

Can
Godhead
be unlocked in the Vita version? Did everything on hard mode with
The Lost
but got nothing, even after updating to 1.01.

This is the scariest thing i ever heard.

aku:jiki

I am losing my mind to these hard
The Lost
runs. I've been working on this for a week, only have one run left.
Everything about it is just maddening. Drives me crazy when the game robs me of devil rooms when I desperately need an upgrade, since there's such a massive chance that the item/boss room contains something entirely useless for the character.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Whoo! I just beat Mom for the first time for reals and now have unlocked the Womb. But I'm confused. It says my "best streak" is 1 but my Mom kills are 0. Is Mom not counted as Mom? Who do I have to kill to kill Mom?

Right off the bat, first room I got a My Little Unicorn item and then only used it once. At one point I had a chance to swap it for a Unicorn Stump but kept it. And only used it once. I should have used it more. Sometimes I forget I even have activated items up there. I also forget which button I assigned it to. Once I hit both my bomb button and my pill item before I even found the right button. Hahaha. Even though I set it up (Unintentionally) with the buttons in the same place as the items are on screen.

I also made three deals with the devil for the first time with my first one being a goat head, my second being Gimpy and my last being Ceremonial Robes which helped greatly on my way to Mom. (Though my black hearts and one of my 3 Soul Hearts were gone by the time I got there.) My tears were huge but slow, but also powerful which was inconvenient but also very helpful. And I had not only a dripping sac with white creep confusing all my enemies but also the best Familiar I've ever had. Punching Bag, who was a seemingly invincible bullet sponge. Was pretty sweet. I also had blue flies spawn all the time so it helped.

The only problem with the black mask and the black robes is that in the Depths it got to the point I kept losing Isaac and fixing my eyes on my Punching Bag instead and losing stupid health for no reason. Especially in the cramped Mom room.

FerranMG

Is anyone else having issues with the controls in the Vita version?
I find it very hard to use the item in the top left of the screen, and pills and tarot cards from the bottom right of the screen.
The touch areas are very unreliable and, I also have to move my fingers from the sticks to the touch screen, which of course is not a very good idea when in the middle of a tough fight.
Is there no way to remap them?

I find it very hard to use the item in the top left of the screen, and pills and tarot cards from the bottom right of the screen.
The touch areas are very unreliable and, I also have to move my fingers from the sticks to the touch screen, which of course is not a very good idea when in the middle of a tough fight.

Top left item is right trigger you know.

Pill/Tarot is annoying. And I couldn't figure how to swap pills/tarots when you get the item that allows you to hold two at the same time.

Whoo! I just beat Mom for the first time for reals and now have unlocked the Womb. But I'm confused. It says my "best streak" is 1 but my Mom kills are 0. Is Mom not counted as Mom? Who do I have to kill to kill Mom?

"Mom kills" in in reference to
Mom's Heart
, which is the boss of the womb.

You can remap them in the control settings. It will sound a bit awkward but since I don't use the right stick to shoot, I mapped down to pills/cards and up to map.

autoduelist

Welp. I can confirm that
completing the chest and the dark room and boss rush on hard, so pure red symbols on character select screen on hard with the lost
did not
unlock godhead
on vita. Am I missing anything?

To be honest, I almost don't care. So ridiculous. I lost a recent epic run by accidentally running into one of those not-an-enemy-yet-but-can-still-kill--you flies circling poop. Worse, I was backtracking a room I'd already cleared. If that death and the many other stupid ones trying to accomplish that didn't break me, not getting the actual item won't either.

Back to other characters now. Probably will switch to normal for awhile too, even though i will feel buried in keys, bombs, and gold.

Wait. I just read the wiki. It says for
godhead
you need to
Beat every hard mode boss as The Lost.
. Does that mean something different? like, does that mean i need to hunt down every possible boss variation or something?

To left item is your right trigger.
Tap a bit above the pill to make it trigger easily. I don't really have too much issue with it, but i never use pills in a fight and if i'm going to use a card in a fight, generally trigger it as soon as i enter the room.

Top left item is right trigger you know.

Pill/Tarot is annoying. And I couldn't figure how to swap pills/tarots when you get the item that allows you to hold two at the same time.

Select flips them. Hold select for like 3 seconds and you'll drop your equips on the ground.

roxya

Hey guys, when you unlock the Cellar, is it always Cellar or do you sometimes get Basement back?

I just unlocked the Cellar last night and my whole time with the game went to shit, every single run started with Cellar and way too many spiders. Not to mention terrible luck with items and pills the whole night. Give me my basement back :(

Welp. I can confirm that
completing the chest and the dark room and boss rush on hard, so pure red symbols on character select screen on hard with the lost
did not
unlock godhead
on vita. Am I missing anything?

No, the red symbols on the character selection are all you need. The unlock was bugged on the original PC release and was still bugged on 1.01, so the assumption is that it's the same for the Vita right now. All the unlocks and achievements were fixed on PC with patch 1.022, so the next one (whenever that is coming, have not heard anything) should fix it and unlock it retroactively.
Hey guys, when you unlock the Cellar, is it always Cellar or do you sometimes get Basement back?

I just unlocked the Cellar last night and my whole time with the game went to shit, every single run started with Cellar and way too many spiders. Not to mention terrible luck with items and pills the whole night. Give me my basement back :(

Basement and Cellar should be 50/50 in my experience.

Finalow

Black_spider.png

everyone's going to get hit by one of these sooner or later.

Celegus

Is there some weird synergy between Taurus and Robo Baby 2.0? The Taurus effect could pop every few rooms or so like normal, and then as soon as I got Robo Baby, it would activate a couple seconds into every single room the rest of the run. Maybe it counts the speed of Robo Baby since he zips around the room by himself? It was pretty awesome.

SerTapTap

Is there some weird synergy between Taurus and Robo Baby 2.0? The Taurus effect could pop every few rooms or so like normal, and then as soon as I got Robo Baby, it would activate a couple seconds into every single room the rest of the run. Maybe it counts the speed of Robo Baby since he zips around the room by himself? It was pretty awesome.

Taurus should activate every room that has enemies, but it will only do it once it's "charged", if you kill enemies too fast it might not activate. But yeah it is based off speed too, so maybe it does take into account Robo Baby somehow. That or you got a speed boost somewhere without noticing it.

I LOVE Taurus BTW, it's such a weird but extremely useful effect, but isn't insta-OP either. Wish the game had more stuff like that.

This game is my new Spelunky. It's so good.

I felt sad several times... like when Isaac gets the dog food item it is labelled as "dessert" or the thorn photo item which increases the tears power ):

I felt like I had an overpowered Isaac in my last run, I'll give you the seed...

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Piercing, shielded tears are so OP it's scary. In other news, only the
Boss Rush
and
The Chest
with Eve left before I've cleared Normal mode!

Great. I just got hit with the stupidest glitch possible where I can only see the ground shadows of both my tears and the enemies' shots. Exiting out to the main menu doesn't help.

Or is that not a glitch but some kind of demonic feature?

Edit: Pick ups, bombs, items etc. don't show either. What is this shit?

SerTapTap

This game is my new Spelunky. It's so good.

I felt sad several times... like when Isaac gets the dog food item it is labelled as "dessert" or the thorn photo item which increases the tears power ):

I felt like I had an overpowered Isaac in my last run, I'll give you the seed...

Like half of the items in the game have terrible implications, it's actually something I really like about the game's storytelling. Almost everything you piece together by playing, only like half of the story or less is even in endings, and even those you have to fight for tooth and nail and there's not just one (even story-wise)

Piercing, shielded tears are so OP it's scary. In other news, only the
Boss Rush
and
The Chest
with Eve left before I've cleared Normal mode!

I need boss rush for EVERYONE except Azazel, I'm just too used to clearing every room, looking for secret rooms, searching through poop/rocks. I think I'll leave boss room for last actually because I'd hate to lose in the final areas just because I missed something while rushing for the boss rush...on the other hand...it gets you 2 collectables. hm

Great. I just got hit with the stupidest glitch possible where I can only see the ground shadows of both my tears and the enemies' shots. Exiting out to the main menu doesn't help.

Edit: Pick ups don't show either. What is this shit?

There is a seed that does this, but it shouldn't happen in normal play. Try exiting to menu, then closing the game and restarting? Should continue where you left off.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I need boss rush for EVERYONE except Azazel, I'm just too used to clearing every room, looking for secret rooms, searching through poop/rocks. I think I'll leave boss room for last actually because I'd hate to lose in the final areas just because I missed something while rushing for the boss rush...on the other hand...it gets you 2 collectables. hm

I've said it before, but trying for boss rush is god damn stressful. I'm the same way, clearing every room to maximize survival chances. The constant thought that I'm screwing myself by going too fast just kills me.

Sarcasm

Edit: Pick ups, bombs, items etc. don't show either. What is this shit?

Probably the latter..like the can't see health curse.

Well, I'm on the Darkness Falls challenge but it's definitely not part of that. And I'm not on a cursed floor and don't have items that would cause this.

Do you mean quitting out of the game completely? I'm on PS4 btw.

SerTapTap

Well, I'm on the Darkness Falls challenge but it's definitely not part of that. And I'm not on a cursed floor and don't have items that would cause this.

Do you mean quitting out of the game completely? I'm on PS4 btw.

Yeah, exit to main menu, then use Close Application. Hopefully that'll fix it, but I'm not sure as I haven't seen that bug myself. Just a couple of missing trophies and a crash here and there. Wouldn't be BOI if it didn't crash. Thankfully it autosaves now...

Yeah, exit to main menu, then use Close Application. Hopefully that'll fix it, but I'm not sure as I haven't seen that bug myself. Just a couple of missing trophies and a crash here and there. Wouldn't be BOI if it didn't crash. Thankfully it autosaves now...

Thanks a lot! It worked! Back to normal. :)
I'll upload a clip of the glitch in a second.

SerTapTap

Speaking of uploading clips, I lost footage of an AMAZING run due to how PS4 share's video clip buffers work. Does anyone have details on EXACTLY how it does that? It seems like when I took/tweeted screenshots it killed my video buffer

Thanks a lot! It worked! Back to normal. :)
I'll upload a clip of the glitch in a second.

Ok, here's the clip. It happened after entering a new room. Unfortunately my PS4 didn't record all of what I wanted to show, like invisible bombs and items. Set pick ups like keys in the secret room would show but not stuff that is generated on the fly, like tears, my own bombs or items out of chests. Not sure though what such a glitch would be called.
To anyone with a Twitter account, feel free to link the clip to the boys & girls at Nicalis.

Top Bottom