• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Anustart

Can you use donation machine in seeded runs?

Also, I might just be able to cheese out some Lost achievements now. I have Gnawed Leaf, a bandage ball circling me, dead cat and mom's knife. Oh, and spoon bender, so mom's knife is seeking lol.

Manu

This game is fucking crack in video game form. I love it.

Just killed Mom's Heart for the very first time. I continue to suck at the game, but at least I can get there consistently now.

Seems to me by reading some posts in this thread that I'm barely scratching the surface of the game. Tons of things to unlock that I have no idea how you guys are doing it.

I suck so much, but the game is so, so good.

corn_fest

I'm only at 400.. it seems every time I have a lot of money, it jams instantly.

It seems that it's more likely to jam when you have a lot of money or have items which could potentially get you a lot of money.
Which sucks, but kinda makes sense, I guess, given that with the right items you can easily hit 100+ coins in a run.

Joe Molotov

It seems that it's more likely to jam when you have a lot of money or have items which could potentially get you a lot of money.
Which sucks, but kinda makes sense, I guess, given that with the right items you can easily hit 100+ coins in a run.

I dunno, I've had it jam after one coin when I only had four coins. Then there was one run when I fed it like 75 coins.

Anustart

I had a run with a blank card and 2 of diamonds. Infinite money basically lol.

Also, I'm currently sitting in the room with blue baby waiting for my peeper to slowly kill him lol.

Anustart

Peeper got blue baby down to 50%, after that he just ran up on me and impaled himself on my knife. The Body and Isaac's Heart unlocked, woo.

David___

Banned
Note to self: Never take Ludovico Technique when you have Mom's Knife.

Ruined a perfectly good run as soon as I took it in the
boss rush
room.

KarmaCow

Note to self: Never take Ludovico Technique when you have Mom's Knife.

Ruined a perfectly good run as soon as I took it in the
boss rush
room.

What happens? I imagined a whirling dervish of knives that you can move around but it sounds like it's not the case.

Chronoja

The more I play (read: sit holding 'r' hoping for a decent / ANY item to use)
The Lost
the more I realise that it's probably one of the worst things they could have added to the game. It's just so horrendously unfun to play, to the point where I'd almost consider it bad game design, llike you make a game based around items then make about 90% of them useless and undesireable, or hell, half the time inaccessible due to the sheer lack of resources in hard mode. And I get it it's all supposed to be a super hardcore challenge for the hardest of hardcore people, even so it doesn't change how utterly dependent on items the character is to get anything resemling a run going. Just feels like difficulty for the sake of difficulty. With only 10 achievements to go I'd love to just knock this game out for a 100% but I'm afraid my patience might give in before that, we will see.
The Lost
could probably be considered one of the biggest difficulty spikes in gaming if it weren't somewhat optional.

autoduelist

No, the red symbols on the character selection are all you need. The unlock was bugged on the original PC release and was still bugged on 1.01, so the assumption is that it's the same for the Vita right now. All the unlocks and achievements were fixed on PC with patch 1.022, so the next one (whenever that is coming, have not heard anything) should fix it and unlock it retroactively.

Ok, thanks. Lets hope.

I've said it before, but trying for boss rush is god damn stressful. I'm the same way, clearing every room to maximize survival chances. The constant thought that I'm screwing myself by going too fast just kills me.

Learning to boss rush
The Lost
really helped me. I was trying to collect everything with him and invariably took stupid damage. Forcing myself to boss rush made me skip all that and my general survivability skyrocketed.

The more I play (read: sit holding 'r' hoping for a decent / ANY item to use)
The Lost
the more I realise that it's probably one of the worst things they could have added to the game.

after i did it and was researching why i didn't get godhead i found this page:
http://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofis...y_of_obtaining_the_godhead_tips_to_help_with/
it's got some great tips, most of which i discovered the hard way.

the one tip i never thought of, that i wish i thought of, is that if you
spawn next to a challenge/trap room you should check it for a dead cat. you'll lose a life on the way out, but still well worth it. guppy collar also might work, since it might revive you when you die on exit. i only ever checked treasure rooms, and i think this might have increased my 'attempts per hour' a bit during restarting sessions

That said, i absolutely agree it'll break your head and is ridiculously unfun.

SerTapTap

I might have properly recorded...SOME of that crazy OP run. I LOVE The Chest/
Dark Room
, I didn't realize that like 50% of the time you beat a room you get a collectable. You come out SO OP it's awesome.

Chronoja

I know what to look for, it just happens to suck even more when a run ends after finding such a good item. The
holy mantle
took me to the
cathedral
the first time I got it, but it's so rare to find again. I've found a couple of dead cats, the 2nd time got completely destroyed, catacombs 2 boss was double blue champion gurdy jr. which ate so many lives followed by a necropolis 1
adversary
, wonderful. I've found a
stop watch
once, took me to depths 2 where I paniced upon entering a room with 6 vis / double vis and couldn't find a safe gap between their beams. Don't get me wrong I know it's me making the mistakes in these situations, it's just the time it takes to get anything useful is so long and boring at times that you aren't just throwing the run away, you're throwing away every reset that came before it.

Stoze

I'm sad this topic died off so soon :(

That said, I'm getting closer to real platinum god. Think I have 30 left.

Ain't dead yet!
sorta

I had to make a choice between Krampus Head and keeping my Red Candle last run. I made the mistake of keeping Red Candle, which is great for dotting the shit out of bosses, not great for hitting a lot of enemies/trying to complete a regular room. I also forgot that I had a Habit on, which would've been way more help on the kramp head.

Needless to say I tore through Satan but died quickly in the
Dark Room

Afrodium

Banned
I just stared a run with Pyro in the first item room on Pyromaniac in the second. I immediately went in search of the secret room using one of my 99 self-healing bombs and found myself in a secret room with three pills in it. I popped one and... bombs are key.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKK

Jesb

Just started this game for the first time and I have to ask we're the dev's stoned when they came up with this game? The concept is really out there as the wtf am I playing moments. Shooting piles of shit, I don't know what the hell I'm doing or what the point of this game is. I heard a lot of praise but I'm not sure what it is why people are enjoying this. Maybe I need to give the game more time, but it seems like a really acquired taste.

Just started this game for the first time and I have to ask we're the dev's stoned when they came up with this game? The concept is really out there as the wtf am I playing moments. Shooting piles of shit, I don't know what the hell I'm doing or what the point of this game is. I heard a lot of praise but I'm not sure what it is why people are enjoying this. Maybe I need to give the game more time, but it seems like a really acquired taste.

Hmm...

78d9404548d72960a29be1ba563fac9eda2a298f15fc2160cfd113bbaa6aba1d.jpg

It's kind of the Spelunky of run & gun shooters.
That's why people enjoy it.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Normal Mode complete! sans the super secret character. That Blue Baby fight with Eve was intense. One half heart left, thank fuck he didn't do his bullshit teleport

SerTapTap

Welcome to Edmund McMillian's games. Even if you can't appreciate the gim setting the gameplay is absolutely best in class

autoduelist

Look past the poop and see that the game is deeper than deep. A massive number of powerups means the game is infinitely replayable and you'll constantly find new powerup combos and ways to use them.

We aren't loving the game because you shoot piles of poop. However, upon playing the game for any length of time you'll realize the aesthetics and the rest do have a lot of meaning behind them. It's not just poop for poops sake.

Celegus

Look past the poop and see that the game is deeper than deep. A massive number of powerups means the game is infinitely replayable and you'll constantly find new powerup combos and ways to use them.

We aren't loving the game because you shoot piles of poop. However, upon playing the game for any length of time you'll realize the aesthetics and the rest do have a lot of meaning behind them. It's not just poop for poops sake.

I also really like the aesthetics just because it's so radically different from everything else ever. If anything I find it all rather adorable, not gross or even juvenile.

desverger

I kinda feel you're screwed if you didn't do the challenges early on, and the challenges don't scale well to the added difficulties of the game.

I was trying to do the head trauma challenge last night, and oh boy - instead of fighting basic monsters in boss rooms I get the Dark One, and instead of Depths I get Necropolis with the 3 Pin bosses room.. Wtf really :p

I would love if the challenges stayed the same throughout the game and you wouldn't get the more difficult floors/bosses in them. Now some of the challenges feel down right impossible.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Man they really need to change some of the icons for stuff. Some bad items look way too similar to good ones. Had a run with the blue map, matchstick, quad shot and ipacac ruined by that fucking curse eye. Thought it was mom's pearl. Bob's brain looks too much common cold too.

Smash88

Banned
This game is definitely one of my top games for sure, the sheer scope and variation one can encounter is nearly limitless. Way better than Spelunky, only played Spelunky for 5 hours whereas I have 25+ hours and counting in this. Definitely speaks of the quality that Edmund and co. released. Albeit it did take me sometime to warm up to it.

I platinum god'ed the first one, and I'm on my way with this, but getting bandage girl is going to be a bitch; already got all the no hit achievements.

Oh and I don't know if this was posted but someone modded the original music back in. It is leagues better now with the original soundtrack. Let's face it this soundtrack is one of the biggest let downs from Rebirth.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/2mlmux/mod_original_soundtrack_in_rebirth/

Direct Link

Just extract to \Steam\SteamApps\common\The Binding of Isaac Rebirth\resources\

SerTapTap

Man they really need to change some of the icons for stuff. Some bad items look way too similar to good ones. Had a run with the blue map, matchstick, quad shot and ipacac ruined by that fucking curse eye. Thought it was mom's pearl. Bob's brain looks too much common cold too.

Bob's Brain is more...brain-like. You can see the ridges and valleys of a brain on Bob's Brain while Common Cold is more of a gunk-pile.

Cursed Eye is WAY too close, but note it should always be on a pedestal as it's a collectable and Mom's Pearl is a trinket so it will be unceremoniously lying on the floor. You can double check the exact pixels on http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth if you're really confused.

More embarrassingly, I keep confusing Soy Milk for one of the injections (a la speed ball, growth hormones). It looks nothing like them. That item is just made to doom my runs. I also picked up Monstro's Lung a couple times on accident thinking it was a baby familiar. It's not bad, but confusing.

BouncyFrag

So I've beaten
mother's heart
twice now and was wondering if I need to be doing something else other than just playing the game as I have been to unlock more content?

SerTapTap

So I've beaten
mother's heart
twice now and was wondering if I need to be doing something else other than just playing the game as I have been to unlock more content?

Yes and no. You are not done yet, but you're not really to the point where you need to be picky about what to do. Go for new boss kills (as shown on the main menu) with each character and you should find things soon enough.
Don't forget to look in Devil/God rooms...even if you think you don't need it

BouncyFrag

Yes and no. You are not done yet, but you're not really to the point where you need to be picky about what to do. Go for new boss kills (as shown on the main menu) with each character and you should find things soon enough.
Don't forget to look in Devil/God rooms...even if you think you don't need it
Thanks. I've been using mostly Isaac the whole time but have unlocked most of the others and will use them now.

Smash88

Banned
Got both Super Meat Boy and Super Bandage Girl, arguably some of the hardest to attain unless you 'break the game' by using monster manuel. Got them legitimately by getting the book of revelations on the first floor both times. Now all that's left is the
Lost
which is the next hardest thing to finish, especially in
Hard Mode

EDIT: All I'm going to say is FUCK CHALLENGE #19.

Leezard

I started an eve run, and I got a reroll room. Technology + polyphemus replaced her starting items and brought me through boss rush + the chest. Reroll rooms are fun, even if they have screwed me over before.

Top Bottom